jessejlt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessejlt
Re: Flower Carrier

I want one!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
tgentry wrote:All signs point to troll. I think this person is just looking to bait you and anyone into wasting as much time on them as possible.

I knew that was possible, but I figured this response would come in handy again(and again and..), but in the future, I would just have to cut and paste.

examae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
tjost wrote:I tried to comment on this the other day but the site was acting wonky. Rockwell is probably my favorite American artist and while this is in a much different syle this his, I think it still captures the feeling of his work. I love the inky sketch look and the varying line widths. Some one had commented on it looking French and I'd have to agree, almost like a drawing for a fashion line. Great work and fantastic first entry, I look forward to more from you.

BTW if this doesn't get a HM or EC print here, since it's probably not going to fog, resub it to threadless, it'd be a shoe in.

I'm really overwhelmed by the positive feedback I've gotten here, thank you so much for commenting this! It means a lot, and thanks for suggesting threadless ^^ I'll try and find my way around that site and you can bet on seeing it there sometime soon ^^ Cheers!

examae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
Re: The Life Line

As in Winslow Homer? because I like Winslow Homer.. lol B)

Jaypaulo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaypaulo
Re: The Thinker

I'm feeling very dumb right now. How o I vote on this?

eblolle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblolle
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

I'd also pick one up if submitted else where, favorite woot design to date.

cosmiccow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
Darquis wrote:Closer or not, it's a great Wave - it's waving. That's reinterpretation - a lot of users went with puns. Maybe it should have just been puns on art titles.

As a holder of an art history degree, I would call this one more of a reimagining than Great Wave.

My problem isn't so much the rejection; my problem is that the choices of what to reject this week seem needlessly arbitrary.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
eblolle wrote:I'd also pick one up if submitted else where, favorite woot design to date.

If I have a HM I will wait for the double take derby... thx everyone for the support...

I had some free time today and I guess I will be sending my next derby design pretty early... I have something nice going on and why not in orange? It's true that Woot did not make many oranges t-shirts lately.

wotto

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wotto
Re: The Thinker

awesome work sir

foreverzero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foreverzero
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

This design is really great, with a great color combination. And yes, more orange. It is sad that designs with much less style than this are in the fog. I hope this gets printed somehow, somewhere.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Darquis wrote:No, and this one deserves to stay in, but http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44372 this entry, for example, is the original work of art, with guns, in green pixelated art. I don't have anything against the piece or the artist, but Draug is right in saying there is a lot of inconsistency if Vitruvian man there is allowed in and others are not.

I completely concur. the vitruvian man is a total sham to keep in. but this isn't the vitruvian man thread, and IS another thread people have complained about seemingly without understanding the theme.

Woot is always inconsistent. It sucks. But in this case, they have omitted pieces that should be rejected, not rejected pieces that should have stayed.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
cosmiccow wrote:As a holder of an art history degree, I would call this one more of a reimagining than Great Wave.

My problem isn't so much the rejection; my problem is that the choices of what to reject this week seem needlessly arbitrary.

It is more of a reimagining, but also MORE OF A REINTERPRETATION OF THE TITLE. The other great wave is less reimagining and also far less reinterpretation. The theme doesn't say "DONT REIMAGINE." it says "DO REINTERPRET THE TITLE". An on-theme design -can- reimagine, but MUST reinterpret. Many solely re-imagine.

The rejections this week have literally been the most on-topic, justifiable, correct set of rejections in probably months. Art History major or not, that clearly doesn't prevent you from misinterpreting the theme.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Re: Separation of Light from Darkness

Tough luck on not making the final cut, but I really hope this does get printed somewhere else - please let us (or just me!) know if it does

Darquis

cosmiccow wrote:As a holder of an art history degree, I would call this one more of a reimagining than Great Wave.

Reimagining is a bad word. If I introduced it, that's my mistake. Reinterpreting is a better one, and as regards the title, I feel like Great Wave did more (but still feel Starry Night did enough, but this is moot now - unless it gets an honorable mention, which I hope that it does).

But arbitrary seeming rejections? You bet.

EggyToast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EggyToast
AdderXYU wrote:As they should. I don't understand how copyright can expire. It's like saying that a store can be robbed from now and then so long as it's been open over a century, and you tell everyone where you got your goods.

Copyright can expire because the idea of copyright is to support the notion of benefiting the public. If you keep something private, then you needn't worry about copyright -- you aren't selling anything, and the public can't see it.

As soon as it's put out for public consumption, you are contributing to the public discourse. And you can sell your work and ensure that others do not copy your work.

The catch is that the benefit granted to you -- the limit that people can not copy your work -- goes away over time. You benefit from the copyright by limiting what the public can do, but after a time that limitation no longer exists to the benefit of everyone. Not to mention that the idea of copyright is to motivate creators to release works to the public -- by granting a perpetual copyright, you end up stifling that creativity as people treat art as a lottery ticket, rather than creative expression. Artists should benefit, but they benefit from the public. After a time, the public should benefit too.

alttag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alttag
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood

I thought this was the best of the bunch. Excellent design. My only suggestions would be submit earlier (but greatness can't be rushed), or improve the thumbnail.

I hope to see this print in a second-run derby!

enginivity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enginivity

Great work!! Love the concept, and the execution! =)

http://derbyimages.woot.com/2806458/417832e5-6431-4381-b821-1240cac12b37.jpg

bpwillia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpwillia
mjc613 wrote:How hysterically funny!

I thought I read no bunnies, unless that's a hare..

fakeplastick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fakeplastick

buggles123456789

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buggles123456789
Re: This is not a pipe_Ceci n'est pas une pipe

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

This is amazing!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
alttag wrote:I thought this was the best of the bunch. Excellent design. My only suggestions would be submit earlier (but greatness can't be rushed), or improve the thumbnail.

I hope to see this print in a second-run derby!

Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't get the idea until early Monday morning, so there was no helping that. As for the thumbnail, I'm still figuring out that science. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Zabe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zabe
Exohdus wrote:Really cool concept, great design. Only thing I'm personally not fond of is the eyes of the angel, something just doesn't sit right with me in relation to the character. Still definitely a vote from me, gj sir.

i thought they were eye brows seeing as they are the same color as the hair.

subtlenife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages subtlenife
DivineAna wrote:

I think it's copying "ce n'est pas un pipe" rather than "It was Ms. Scarlett..."

Your art knowledge is lacking. The text reads "Ceci n'est pas une pipe". Also, your article genders are very confused.

linablade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linablade
Darquis wrote:Do you intend to submit this design elsewhere when you can (I don't recall if 60 days applies to shirts that were rejected)?

Since it's gotten such a positive response here from the community, I was thinking about resubmitting it as a daily entry. Do you think that would be wise? Or should I just submit it to Threadless and hope for the best?

JohnFreitas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnFreitas

I haven't bought a white shirt yet, but I voted for this one and will buy it if in the top 3.

Good Luck.

brindlegreyhound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brindlegreyhound
linablade wrote:Since it's gotten such a positive response here from the community, I was thinking about resubmitting it as a daily entry. Do you think that would be wise? Or should I just submit it to Threadless and hope for the best?

I can't tell you which would be a better option for you, but I will say that I will be purchasing one should it print.

slapshotryan17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slapshotryan17
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44460]

That shirt is wicked. Would be awesome for physics test days and major points from the prof

luminesc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luminesc
Re: The Burning Giraffe

Do, indeed, want. :|

Darquis

linablade wrote:Since it's gotten such a positive response here from the community, I was thinking about resubmitting it as a daily entry. Do you think that would be wise? Or should I just submit it to Threadless and hope for the best?

I can't tell you what would be best, I've never submitted - does woot allow you to submit while it's up for votes at threadless? I don't think they do - I'm sure it'd print at threadless eventually, but what's the hold length for shirt.woot? (that's assuming you don't get an HM - I wouldn't be shocked)

thorntizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thorntizzle
Zabe wrote:i thought they were eye brows seeing as they are the same color as the hair.

This is one of the best shirts I've seen yet so far in my time on Woot.

cashland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashland

camilium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camilium

want to buy this... is it printed somewhere?

meowmixjinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meowmixjinx
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

I feel really really dumb for not noticing that the original piece of art is a "shark in a tank" and this is also of a "shark in a tank".

I'm only thankful that no one was around to see the dumb smile i had when i got that.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

IMO this was robbed a spot

Renjazu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Renjazu
sokowa wrote:IMO this was robbed a spot

This definitely deserved a spot in the derby.

LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism

Even though you didn't win, I want you to know that this shirt is one of the best shirts I've ever seen in my life. If I would have been allowed to buy this, this shirt would have been one of my favorites.

It has the same subtle humor as the Villainous Victorian Velociraptor did back when it was being sold and THATS one of my favorite shirts.

I hope that this shirt gets an honorable mention and that it will be up for voting again because I will be crossing my fingers for it.

This shirt is completely original, well drawn, and well thought out. It deserves to be in the reckoning for everyone to where. I wish I could say the same for a certain piece thats already in there.

Once again, good luck if you get the honorable mention, I'll be pulling for you.

Would you kindly...

LOLcommunism

Renjazu wrote:This definitely deserved a spot in the derby.

I whole heartedly agree.

Would you kindly...

SpazX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpazX

Man I can't believe it didn't make it. And that it was so far behind too. You've gotta get this printed somewhere.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
LOLcommunism wrote:Even though you didn't win, I want you to know that this shirt is one of the best shirts I've ever seen in my life. If I would have been allowed to buy this, this shirt would have been one of my favorites.

It has the same subtle humor as the Villainous Victorian Velociraptor did back when it was being sold and THATS one of my favorite shirts.

I hope that this shirt gets an honorable mention and that it will be up for voting again because I will be crossing my fingers for it.

This shirt is completely original, well drawn, and well thought out. It deserves to be in the reckoning for everyone to where. I wish I could say the same for a certain piece thats already in there.

Once again, good luck if you get the honorable mention, I'll be pulling for you.

Well said LOLcom (and thanks for the Velociraptor shout out ;) ) I actually came across it myself for the first time today. In a bike shop no less!

LOLcommunism

SpazX wrote:Man I can't believe it didn't make it. And that it was so far behind too. You've gotta get this printed somewhere.

THREADLESS OR POSSIBLY TEEFURY

AWAAAAAAY!

Would you kindly...