+ Add a Comment

mab299108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mab299108
clarinerd wrote:I like the design, but unfortunately I think Music Is Life may have turned me off headphone shirts forever.

I forgot about that one. I see your point that "people-who-like-headphone-shirts" probably already have that one, but I think that the appeal of these two designs is a bit different. Then there is the big difference...music is life is very popular, and this one won't make it to the top 10% of this derby.

VOTE

Inamity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Inamity

Giraffes already scare me. One actually stuck its head in my car and took my sandwich with its 3 foot long tongue. I think your shirt makes me feel better. I think I was lucky it only took my sandwich.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
endangeredomega wrote:Your thumbnail absolutely fails to do this proper justice. GMV, nonetheless.

Yeah, I didn't really know what to use as almost any close up wouldn't look like anything so I chose this. I hope people still look.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Mermaid
bassanimation wrote:I really love the changes to the hair, Jasneko! I like this version a lot, very pretty! Also, mermaids are timeless lore. There's so many rich legends about them. Love! +1

Aw thanks bass! The main aim of this one is just that - to be pretty;) Glad you like the hair changes, and I know what you mean... I like the mysticism and magic that seems to surround mermaids/ merstories.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
RandomLynx wrote:Let the voters decide, personally I think it's a cute design. As to how similar it is to that other shirt, well that one went for realistic - this is toony, that had the original artists with the individual turtle colors added on while this is a reinvention of a work of art made by one of those said artsits... how is that too close? The only are they both tread is referencing TMNT, it's nowhere on the level you're inferring. And the whole threadless similarity the other shirt carried didn't stop people from buying that, I doubt another TMNT reference will stop them from voting on this.

Plus, some folks might prefer the background color to the pale tone that other design used.

I'm certainly not trying to claim that in this case, the shirts are too similar (or to "crap" on anyone's thread, as another user so crudely put it.) The point I was attempting to make is that this design suffers from a case of poor timing. With another TMNT parody tee already printed this week, I can't help but feel this entry comes "too soon". Granted, these circumstances are beyond the artist's control, but personally, I feel the joke has already gotten stale.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
endangeredomega wrote:As I'm sure this week's daily shirt did as well?

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=14665

Sorry, I understand the concept is slightly different, but for me, this one just comes far too soon on the heels of the other TMNT/Classic Art mash-up (which many already accused of being a retread of a Threadless print.)

I couldn't agree more.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: The Burning Giraffe

As a giraffe fan I think this is really fun, but what is that other "loop" behind the giraffe? Is it the neck of another pyromaniacal giraffe? Or is this truly the fabled "serpent giraffe"? Or is it just surreal and I should just relax?

enjoystees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjoystees
Re: Flower Carrier

Great design. The coloring is amazing. And to all the haters. Let them hate it's there job.

capedcrusader514

It's great but I don't think it's as macho as I perceive myself, so I couldn't wear it buttttt you still get a vote bc it's great. gmv.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

The Spotted Pyromaniac Menace Of The Serengeti. Soon to be available as an action figure and plush toy. Neat interpretation of the title.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Why So Serious

I don't think the shawl will show up well on the black shirt

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832
Re: Dancers at the Bar

I like the idea.

capedcrusader514

bassanimation wrote:This is excellent! I would prefer it without the halftoned bg, but overall this is hilarious. Great take!

I concur.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Winged Victory

Dude, I am becoming suh a sucker for your stuff. GMV, and hope it prints so I can wear it.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: The Thinker

As always, a cool spin on an appealing idea Walmazan. They will introduce lenticular designs on shirts just to accommodate your groovy animations.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Nighthawks

Wow! GREAT line work! This is gorgeous!

Please let me wear one? :D

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Nekkochan wrote:As a giraffe fan I think this is really fun, but what is that other "loop" behind the giraffe? Is it the neck of another pyromaniacal giraffe? Or is this truly the fabled "serpent giraffe"? Or is it just surreal and I should just relax?

Simple answer. It's a Giragon
I took the fire breathing and long neck and really went to town with it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

The background pattern does distract from the characters a little, but it's suggesting the shape of the painting so I appreciate that it makes sense.

Anyway, that's beside the point, awesome design! ^_^

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy

Clever, but don't think it's gonna fly with the Apple logo. Also the title breaks the rules

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

Finally somebody showing the other side of the giraffe's personality.

hgpucker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hgpucker
Re: Starry Night

I really like the colours on this, great job!

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
cosmiccow wrote:Good design, well drawn. I'm having trouble figuring out how this is a reinterpretation of the original, or even a play on the title, though.

It's a phoenix. Phoenix and fire?

hgpucker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hgpucker
Re: Irises (Van Gogh)

Interesting take on one of my favourite Van Gogh works. Love it!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

I agree. I love the linework and the mood.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Pink Angels

Cool, but a little too abstract for me. Love almost all your work though

Cheers! +1

Spiritgreen

Re: We Can Do It! (Rosie the Riveter)

Cool spin on a very famous piece of art. :^)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
radiomode wrote:It's a phoenix. Phoenix and fire?

But, how many Phoenix shirts has woot already printed? 2, 3? more?

Spiritgreen

Re: Bird in Space.

Definitely a good design - very clean and sharp and the colors have that 2001 movie feel. ^_^

Spiritgreen

Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Haha, thanks so much everyone!

I needed to draw something a little more X-treme this week after working on a lot of cute designs recently. Grrr! Ah, that's better. :p

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
enjoystees wrote:Great design. The coloring is amazing. And to all the haters. Let them hate it's there job.

It's "their" job. Their.

And we're not hating. Not one of us has criticized the artwork itself. We're merely pointing out that at least one other shirt (I'm not sure about the Drakxxx comparison) already exists that is undeniably and incredibly similar. And you realize that by "hating" on us "haters," you are merely continuing the paradigm? Or do you not even know what that means?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jsichel wrote:It's a good thing the derby is "Reinterpreting Famous Art Titles" and not "Reinterpreting Great Works of Art," then. I'm betting you call Norman Rockwell an illustrator because he doesn't deserve the status of "painter."

I like it

It is, of course, arguable that this isn't reinterpreting the title at all, but instead parodying the work. The title of the piece is "we can do it," not "Rosie the Riveter." This is offtheme.

AdderXYU

Re: Bird in Space.

I am all about popping colors on black. Your best in a while, sir.

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose

i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with the placement of that rose if you get what i mean

TheWaffleKing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheWaffleKing
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

This is beyond awesome. I seriously hope this is made available. And if not, I'd be willing to buy it directly from you if possible.

AdderXYU

Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

this has deserved to print for eons.

luptor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luptor
Re: Mucha's Zodiac

LOVE the artwork; like the shirt. Unfortunately i think i will agree with the others.

BTW i'm a guy and would totally sport it, it's too awesome not to

megnolia7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megnolia7

WOW that is so beautiful! I love the colors and the design-- I really want this shirt!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: The Persistence of Memory

Memories press in on your head sometimes...persistently.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Reminds me a lot of "Rescuers down under" when the kid rids the eagle towards the end... I think that the right movie.

I haven't seen that movie in at least 12 years or so, but it jump right into my head when I saw this.

Good work. I like it the playfulness of the piece.

AdderXYU

Re: Don Quixote

This isn't the "parody famous art" derby. This is hardly a reinterpretation of the title, since it's drawn in the same style as the original, and the reinterpretation of the image (ie: using a bat signal) makes no sense in the light of that title. Off topic.