kanedax

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kanedax

Perhaps I'm a little dim, but I'm trying to figure out what any of the leaders have to do with physics. Maybe it's just too wide-openly-vague of a topic for me to say "that's EXACTLY what a physics shirt should look like!"

Woot x13
ShirtWoot x26
KidsWoot x5

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast

Here's a very rough sketch of what I'm thinking. I'm going to call it "Gravity Well."

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain

But seriously folks, here's my very early idea...any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
SailorButterfly wrote:If you can find it on a keyboard, it counts as text according to Woot.

Does that include coffee?

kettletoast

SeedUvPain wrote:But seriously folks, here's my very early idea...any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Bahaha! love the Wooly Willy thing going on with Mr. Negative over there!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
parrotworks wrote:Does that include coffee?

//waiting for the "no coffee" rule by some random staffer

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Besides gravity, I must admit that I'm not quite sure what physics really entails. Is it something like the math problems you guys tend to like so much?

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
RaveDroid wrote:No-text rule again? The science-related shirts always come across so much better with some kind of wording on them, and I wanted to actually see a few good physics shirts...
Good luck everyone!

If you can't figure out how to express even one concept in physics without using text, you shouldn't be designing T-shirts.

Lagbert wrote:A physics derby without equations?!?!?!

Blaspheme!!!

Hmmm... now how to do a design around Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

If it weren't for that no text rule:

The first rule of physics club is Force = Mass X Acceleration.
The second rule of physics club is for every force there is an opposite yet equal reaction.
The third rule of physics club is a body in motion or rest will tend to stay in motion or rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

Actually, the first rule is "a body in motion or rest will tend to stay in motion or rest unless acted upon by an outside force."

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
SkekTek wrote:Something tells me the winning design will be something hitting something else (robots?) and be called something generic like "gravity".

Ugh.

Need to think of something unique.

I'd like to see what could be done with either chaos theory or string theory.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
SeedUvPain wrote:But seriously folks, here's my very early idea...any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Ahaha, the iron filings beard is classic.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
sasham62 wrote:If you can't figure out how to express even one concept in physics without using text, you shouldn't be designing T-shirts.

Geez. Ouch much?

I think they were just saying there are some designs that can be heightened with text.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

emeraldchickpea

tgentry wrote:Yeah this would be a good one for text.

Then how many animals with rayguns that go "pew pew" would we be seeing?

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

Thanks!

love it, great simple concept, can't wait to see how you line and color it, think it might do well with a sketchy look (huh? huh?) im horrible at puns =)

emeraldchickpea

BOChunter wrote:please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

The cat was a print in the psychadelic derby.

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
sogj wrote:I really feel like an A in high school physics should award me the opportunity to understand this joke. Alas...

The joke has to do with pascals and newtons being units of pressure and force respectively. Pascals can be expressed as newtons per square meter . . . .

parrotworks

Drakxxx wrote:Besides gravity, I must admit that I'm not quite sure what physics really entails. Is it something like the math problems you guys tend to like so much?

Physics touches quite a few areas including heat, fluids, waves and -- probably a stretch -- but light.

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
Drakxxx wrote:Besides gravity, I must admit that I'm not quite sure what physics really entails. Is it something like the math problems you guys tend to like so much?

Physics really encompasses the study of all matter and phenomonea . . . you might argue that subjects such as chemistry and biology are really just specific extentions of physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

emeraldchickpea

no1 wrote://waiting for the "no coffee" rule by some random staffer

I'm really pulling for "no rock/paper/scissors interpretations" myself. :-/

no1

parrotworks wrote:Physics touches quite a few areas including heat, fluids, waves and -- probably a stretch -- but light.

turn on your butt light
let it shine wherever you go
let it make a happy glow
for all the world to see

turn on your butt light
in the middle of a young boy's dream
don't wake me up too soon
gonna take a ride across the moon
you and me

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
odysseyroc wrote:I started thinking about the ocean and waves. My idea is a wave surfing itself. Here's my very rough initial sketch

Cool idea

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

Anbody know where I can find a Heather Grey fabric swatch for my comp? I have one for the shirt but not for detail.

no1

elviswind wrote:Physics really encompasses the study of all matter and phenomonea . . . you might argue that subjects such as chemistry and biology are really just specific extentions of physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

so anything goes?

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Assuming you weren't having a joke at our expense ;), some topics that come up in physics

Friction
Force
Heat
Light/optics
Waves (in the sense of particles)
Energy

By no means is that all inclusive, or anywhere close, but it's certainly a place one might start to look for ideas.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

physics is really just the study of how the rules of the universe work. so, really just ask a question about anything, why do we fall down? why do things move? why do they stop? what are we made of? etc...hope that helps, there are really just a ton of ideas out there, it will be hard to concentrate on just one.

mab299108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mab299108
parrotworks wrote:Physics touches quite a few areas including heat, fluids, waves and -- probably a stretch -- but light.

Optics is a basic part of physics. It's a wave, it's a particle, it's a constant, it's a co-synchronous oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. I don't think it's a stretch.

VOTE

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jomichar wrote:Here's a quick rough draft I did. Poor worm. He'll never be able to make it back through his wormhole fast enough. Maybe he'll curse both Newton and Einstein on the way down?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Smacks across the face? All are welcome!

on creme?

Happy Beer.

danikiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danikiz
BOChunter wrote:please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

Someone already did Schrodinger's cat.

http://sale.images.woot.com/Schrodinger_s_Cat407Detail.png

parrotworks

mab299108 wrote:Optics is a basic part of physics. It's a wave, it's a particle, it's a constant, it's a co-synchronous oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. I don't think it's a stretch.

Maybe not be by definition but I'm curious how a design solely focused (bad pun) on light would do against the rejectenator.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

I've still got an hour or so of real work to finish before I can really start to refine my design. But, I thought I'd throw together a little color sketch, while the idea is fresh in my mind.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
tjost wrote:Cool idea

Thanks, hopefully I can pull it off.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

WARNING

It is not acceptable to make personal attacks (direct or implied) in our forums. Bringing up an artist's name simply to slam them is not acceptable.

Any further posting along this line will be deleted and the poster put on probation.

Focus on the derby and constructive criticism of current posts and entry drafts. Having fun is fine but not at another person's expense, especially when they aren't even participating in the conversation!

Thank you!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
jabberjaws13 wrote:on creme?

Hmm.. maybe. Not sure yet. Although I was thinking about green and working the shirt into the foliage of the tree.

no1

ThunderThighs wrote:WARNING

It is not acceptable to make personal attacks (direct or implied) in our forums. Bringing up an artist's name simply to slam them is not acceptable.

Any further posting along this line will be deleted and the poster put on probation.

no1 is a talentless hack!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

no1 wrote:no1 is a talentless hack!

It would be you.

//facepalm

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
kettletoast wrote:Here's a very rough sketch of what I'm thinking. I'm going to call it "Gravity Well."

Yes! Definitely make the grid at the bottom distorted though. Nice idea!

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jomichar wrote:Hmm.. maybe. Not sure yet. Although I was thinking about green and working the shirt into the foliage of the tree.

I think that's a way better idea! Then the branch won't have to end awkwardly into nowhere, and ... the shirt won't have to be creme.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Working in mine

parrotworks

ThunderThighs wrote:WARNING

Thank you!

Thanks Woot.

emeraldchickpea

jomichar wrote:Yes! Definitely make the grid at the bottom distorted though. Nice idea!

Now which one of those is a stronger gravity field?

And how would light/colors of light possibly interact on that type of design/grid mockup?

Which would be stronger/brighter/more well defined?

(I never took physics but am curious if my questions are real or relevant...

kettletoast

jomichar wrote:Yes! Definitely make the grid at the bottom distorted though. Nice idea!

Thanks! I'm working on that part right now, actually