parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
walmazan wrote:Working in mine

In mine? I guess that would put you in the fridge!

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

Here is my sketch, escaping gravity

gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
parrotworks wrote:Maybe not be by definition but I'm curious how a design solely focused (bad pun) on light would do against the rejectenator.

Light is absolutely a part of physics...entire sections of physics classes are on light/optics.

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast
emeraldchickpea wrote:Now which one of those is a stronger gravity field?

And how would light/colors of light possibly interact on that type of design/grid mockup?

Which would be stronger/brighter/more well defined?

(I never took physics but am curious if my questions are real or relevant...

The best way I've heard it explained is that it is like the surface of a mattress with a bowling ball in the middle. If you put a marble near the bowling ball, it will roll into the depression created by the bowling ball. So the illustration on the right represents a stronger gravity field.

It's kind of an impossible thing to illustrate "accurately," though. As such, you can make colors and definition change however you like with the grid

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

that might be the cutest magnet ever. cute idea...plays with magnetism and the laws of PHYSICal attraction. (i think that pun was pretty good) haha =)

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Naolito wrote:Here is my sketch, escaping gravity

nice, love the colors...i wish there were a little bit more space between the hand and the balloon though, so it really looks like its reaching.

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar

That's great! And a little dirty too... if you notice the fridge already has some magnets on her and she's still flirting with the giant one! Oh yeeah.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Here is something I am working on. Do people get it right away, or is it too subtle and needs more obvious indicators?

Also, any color preferences would be great! Thinking about red or cran. (And I can also make the one on red with a dark shadow too) Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

The hand doesn't look like it's reaching for it. The fingers don't look right.

Like the colors!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jasneko wrote:Here is something I am working on. Do people get it right away, or is it too subtle and needs more obvious indicators?

Also, any color preferences would be great! Thinking about red or cran. (And I can also make the one on red with a dark shadow too) Thanks!

i think a red balloon and yellow cat mite look nice on a royal blue tee.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
BOChunter wrote:please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

Or he's .00001 bar.

jasneko

no1 wrote:i think a red balloon and yellow cat mite look nice on a royal blue tee.

Thanks no1. I'm not as big a fan of that color combo so far, but if you'd like to see it:

Any preferences to the reds/cran?
And did you get the concept right away?;)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
ThunderThighs wrote:WARNING

It is not acceptable to make personal attacks (direct or implied) in our forums. Bringing up an artist's name simply to slam them is not acceptable.

Any further posting along this line will be deleted and the poster put on probation.

Focus on the derby and constructive criticism of current posts and entry drafts. Having fun is fine but not at another person's expense, especially when they aren't even participating in the conversation!

Thank you!

Better (very) late than never?

Thanks for your help.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Neeaaat!!!

no1

jasneko wrote:Thanks no1. I'm not as big a fan of that color combo so far, but if you'd like to see it:

Any preferences to the reds/cran?
And did you get the concept right away?;)

mabe, if it's static electricity.

i just think a red balloon doesn't "pop" on a red or cranny shirt.

are you out of colours? the black shadow of the cat looks a little dark.
edit: it's too bad black disappears so much on brown, otherwise brown mite be ok.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
odysseyroc wrote:I've still got an hour or so of real work to finish before I can really start to refine my design. But, I thought I'd throw together a little color sketch, while the idea is fresh in my mind.

With the sun in the background wouldn't the under side of the half pipe be in dark shadow?

Question: Did you watch Commander Mark as a kid? You style looks like it has some of his influence.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ThunderThighs wrote:WARNING

It is not acceptable to make personal attacks (direct or implied) in our forums. Bringing up an artist's name simply to slam them is not acceptable.

Any further posting along this line will be deleted and the poster put on probation.

Focus on the derby and constructive criticism of current posts and entry drafts. Having fun is fine but not at another person's expense, especially when they aren't even participating in the conversation!

Thank you!

I'm sure even questioning this puts me in the probation line (this is basically a "my word is law and your voice is meaningless" post), but "personal attack" and "true statement of demonstrable fact" seem to be synonyms here.

I can think of at least one recent situation where "personal attacks" have been frequently deleted, because they have implied things about the user's character which quite recently proved true in print form. Is it so uncouth to have any negative opinions about people expressed when you can back it up with examples? What is the fine line between "educated negative opinion" and "personal attack"? I'm really, really honest about wanting to know. At what point do you say "this is meanspirited" and at what point do you say "this is opinion backed up by example, and there is a point made here"? Is there ANY point where you take fact and say "maybe this is worth keeping around"? I feel it's vital for the voters here to know who they are voting for. Anything less feels like a cover up. I feel there's a dramatic disconnect at this site between playing nice and being honest. Which will probably be demonstrated by this question, and myself, disappearing for a spell. But if there was a bit more understanding from staff of where people's opinions are coming from, instead of discounting it all as nothing more than "attack," I can already think of one huge issue that would never have come up.

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jasneko wrote:Here is something I am working on. Do people get it right away, or is it too subtle and needs more obvious indicators?

I like the cranberry better, with the red balloon, and the less obvious shadow. A red shirt seems too bright with the yellow cat, but the cranberry is dark enough that it lets the cat really stand out and the red balloon is easily visible on the cranberry as well.

And I think I just like cranberry.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Oh man! Great theme. I've got two for this one.

ThunderThighs

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:I'm sure even questioning this puts me in the probation line (this is basically a "my word is law and your voice is meaningless" post), but "personal attack" and "true statement of demonstrable fact" seem to be synonyms here.

I can think of at least one recent situation where "personal attacks" have been frequently deleted, because they have implied things about the user's character which quite recently proved true in print form. Is it so uncouth to have any negative opinions about people expressed when you can back it up with examples? What is the fine line between "educated negative opinion" and "personal attack"? I'm really, really honest about wanting to know. At what point do you say "this is meanspirited" and at what point do you say "this is opinion backed up by example, and there is a point made here"? Is there ANY point where you take fact and say "maybe this is worth keeping around"? I feel it's vital for the voters here to know who they are voting for. Anything less feels like a cover up. I feel there's a dramatic disconnect at this site between playing nice and being honest. Which will probably be demonstrated by this question, and myself, disappearing for a spell. But if there was a bit more understanding from staff of where people's opinions are coming from, instead of discounting it all as nothing more than "attack," I can already think of one huge issue that would never have come up.

Bringing those things up totally out of context is uncalled for and will be seen as a personal attack. Perhaps, the term "Off Topic" might apply. None of the attacks in this thread had anything to do with this derby or potential entries. To bring up an artist out of the blue to slam them or their work will be considered a personal attack. Period.

I will not debate this with you. You know full well what I'm talking about.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

skenneldogs wrote:I like the cranberry better, with the red balloon, and the less obvious shadow. A red shirt seems too bright with the yellow cat, but the cranberry is dark enough that it lets the cat really stand out and the red balloon is easily visible on the cranberry as well.

Ditto that. The darker shadow kinda looks like an oil spill. Then again, maybe I just watched the news.

PS: If the cat is pissed, I think it's ears should be flatter.

rockefoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe

Omelets made great physics!!! i'm so excited! i'll probably buy all of the shirts this derby. you're looking at a world-class nerd up in here! make me happy! :D

no1

ThunderThighs wrote:Ditto that. The darker shadow kinda looks like an oil spill. Then again, maybe I just watched the news.

perhaps he is just "nonplussed" about being charged up.

ThunderThighs

Staff

no1 wrote:perhaps he is just "nonplussed" about being charged up.

You would know better than I. I'm no expert on cat emotions.

jasneko

skenneldogs wrote:I like the cranberry better, with the red balloon, and the less obvious shadow. A red shirt seems too bright with the yellow cat, but the cranberry is dark enough that it lets the cat really stand out and the red balloon is easily visible on the cranberry as well.

ThunderThighs wrote:Ditto that. The darker shadow kinda looks like an oil spill. Then again, maybe I just watched the news.

Thanks you two! With regards to the oilspill shadow... I'm already at 6 colors, so ... I could make the outline not quite black, like this. What do y'all think?:

Thundert - does he not look at least disgruntled? I'll see what I can do with the ears...

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:Thanks you two! With regards to the oilspill shadow... I'm already at 6 colors, so ... I could make the outline not quite black, like this. What do y'all think?:

Thundert - does he not look at least disgruntled? I'll see what I can do with the ears...

He does look disgruntled.

I like this look better. Want to try it out on a couple different colors to see what we say?

Working with the ears...bring them in a bit flatter...

And how about moving the balloon up between his shoulderblades? That's the one spot a cat CANNOT lick (which is why topical meds are applied there).

ThunderThighs

Staff

jasneko wrote:

I like that shadow much better.

I'm just wondering if the shirt would be more fun if the cat had more emotion... a cat's face can show so much emotion with the eyes and ears. Right now he looks like "Yeah, so what!"

rockefoe

BOChunter wrote:please someone do schrodinger's cat or a play on the following joke:
Up in heaven, three great physicsts were playing hide and go seek: Newton, Pascal, and Einstein. It was Einsteins turn to seek, so Einstein closed his eyes and counted to 10 while pascal and newton went to hide. Pascal hid behind a tree, but Newton just stood there and drew a 1 meter by 1 meter box around him on the ground. when einstein was done counting, he opened his eys and said, "Newton, what are you doing? you're supposed to hide! you're out!" And Newton replied, "No, you're wrong, im not Newton, im Pascal! See, im one Newton per square meter! Pascal is out!"

AHAHAHAHA!!! applied force! totally hilarious. looove it. and yesyes PUH-LEZE someone do Schrodinger's cat!!!

venturboy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages venturboy
no1 wrote:perhaps he is just "nonplussed" about being charged up.

That was a terrible pun.

I can't believe I didn't think of it first.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

Haha! The cat's face! I love it. Perhaps try it on a olive tee? It would make the cat pop .

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jasneko wrote:Thanks you two! With regards to the oilspill shadow... I'm already at 6 colors, so ... I could make the outline not quite black, like this. What do y'all think?:

I didn't realize you were out of colors. Hmm, I think given the two options I prefer the black. I do think it would help to reduce the shadow under the tail so it's more tail-sized. I think that's the main "oil spill" zone for me. And the cat definitely looks peeved. Flattened ears would be the icing on the pissed-off cake but the eyes say plenty if you leave it as is.

I really like this design though!

[I'd like to see it on olive too!]

rockefoe

Drakxxx wrote:Besides gravity, I must admit that I'm not quite sure what physics really entails. Is it something like the math problems you guys tend to like so much?

physics entails EVERYTHING! it makes the world go round!...LITERALLY!!!

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast

I'm about done with the line art and starting to work on coloring. (hideous at the moment, though)

What about my changes to the gravity well grid? Any comments, concerns, insults, etc?

jasneko

emeraldchickpea wrote:He does look disgruntled.

I like this look better. Want to try it out on a couple different colors to see what we say?

Thanks emeraldchickepea! Side note: I just ate chickpeas;)
I was kind of leaning towards red and cranberry (posted above)... was there any particular color you wanted to see? (if you meant shirts). I was possibly also thinking lemon or a green, but since I didn't want it to get too confusing

ThunderThighs wrote:I like that shadow much better.

I'm just wondering if the shirt would be more fun if the cat had more emotion... a cat's face can show so much emotion with the eyes and ears. Right now he looks like "Yeah, so what!"

Cool thanks.
I actually redrew the eyes like 20 times.. first I was going more cat like but it wasn't looking right. I'll experiment some more though. How's the ear change here?

Edit: missmissa and skennel, just saw your comments - thanks very much, glad you are liking it. Will try your suggestions!

Is the site running superslow for anyone else? Every reload takes forever over here!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

So, here's what I have so far. I wanted to run this by everyone because I don't know if it makes sense without explanation. It's basically an illustration of the twin paradox.

If this gets a no-go I'll probably move on to something with a Rube Goldberg machine...

ThunderThighs

Staff

jasneko wrote:Cool thanks.
I actually redrew the eyes like 20 times.. first I was going more cat like but it wasn't looking right. I'll experiment some more though. How's the ear change here?

Edit: missmissa and skennel, just saw your comments - thanks very much, glad you are liking it. Will try your suggestions!

Is the site running superslow for anyone else? Every reload takes forever over here!

LOL, I love those ears! (Of course, I'm just one person so go with your gut.)

Yes, it's slow. Explanation is here

rockefoe

gwyn779 wrote:Light is absolutely a part of physics...entire sections of physics classes are on light/optics.

seriously. if someone's entry based on "light" got rejected, the sun would probably go out immediately as a result.

...of course, we wouldn't know until about 8 minutes and 20 seconds later...

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo

I don't know if this would help the design at all, but usually when you introduce a balloon to kitty fur, it stands up. Maybe try to have a couple contour lines suggesting the cat's fur is being statically charged? Does that make sense? Words are failing me today...

jasneko

ThunderThighs wrote:LOL, I love those ears! (Of course, I'm just one person so go with your gut.)

Yes, it's slow. Explanation is here

Yay, thanks Thunder. Do others like the flatter ears?

Added whiskers too.
Here is the olive, for those who wanted to see it:

Ok time to feed my little whiskered ones, but, I will be back soon, please keep posting any suggestions/feedback - thanks!

edit:

CityVelo wrote:I don't know if this would help the design at all, but usually when you introduce a balloon to kitty fur, it stands up. Maybe try to have a couple contour lines suggesting the cat's fur is being statically charged? Does that make sense? Words are failing me today...

CityVelo, originally I was going to make the hair stand up, but then I was liking the smooth lines so much I decided to go more subtle.
As far as understand your suggestion;) - did you mean make hairs that stand up in black along the outline?

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:Cool thanks.

It's been running slow for a few days.

I like the eye/ears combo. How about seeing what he'd look like on green? Either grass or emerald (not an olive fan).

And I'd really like to see one "take" with the balloon bumped up so he can't touch it reaching his head around! LOL