rockefoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
truffleshuffle wrote:So, here's what I have so far. I wanted to run this by everyone because I don't know if it makes sense without explanation. It's basically an illustration of the twin paradox.

If this gets a no-go I'll probably move on to something with a Rube Goldberg machine...

absolutely love it truffleshuffle!!! fabulous idea!

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
SeedUvPain wrote:But seriously folks, here's my very early idea...any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

My husband is a twin - so this one would be great!

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
jasneko wrote:CityVelo, originally I was going to make the hair stand up, but then I was liking the smooth lines so much I decided to go more subtle.
As far as understand your suggestion;) - did you mean make hairs that stand up in black along the outline?

I'm digin' the olive .

vzfamily

parrotworks wrote:Does that include coffee?

I WANT a coffee shirt. SO bad I can taste it. MMM - coffee.

vzfamily

odysseyroc wrote:I've still got an hour or so of real work to finish before I can really start to refine my design. But, I thought I'd throw together a little color sketch, while the idea is fresh in my mind.

LOVE the coloring on this!!!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
emeraldchickpea wrote:It's been running slow for a few days.

I like the eye/ears combo. How about seeing what he'd look like on green? Either grass or emerald (not an olive fan).

And I'd really like to see one "take" with the balloon bumped up so he can't touch it reaching his head around! LOL

Ok, trying it on grass and kelly. The one on grass also has the balloon bumped up for ya;)

missmissa07 wrote:I'm digin' the olive .

Thanks mismissa

Vote!

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:Thanks mismissa

Split the difference on balloon placement, and leave it on kelly. Think of where it would set on him if he were a human trying to turn his head up/around far enough to see the "kick me" sign smack dab between his shoulderblades.

And I love the ear hairs! LOL

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Lagbert wrote:With the sun in the background wouldn't the under side of the half pipe be in dark shadow?

Question: Did you watch Commander Mark as a kid? You style looks like it has some of his influence.

Yeah, the barrel part of the wave needs to be in shadow. Right now the whole thing is too flat, but this was like a 5 minute color sketch, just to get me idea down before I totally forgot what I wanted to do.

I never heard of Commander Mark till just now. I did a google search and it looks like he was a little bit after my time. Growing up I wanted to be Don Martin from Mad Magazine. I still lean toward the undergound comix guys as an influence.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Bad Pun Time:

Did you hear about the Catholic Church that spontaneously exploded? It was a case of critical mass.

vzfamily

truffleshuffle wrote:So, here's what I have so far. I wanted to run this by everyone because I don't know if it makes sense without explanation. It's basically an illustration of the twin paradox.

If this gets a no-go I'll probably move on to something with a Rube Goldberg machine...

Another twin one for my husband to look at - awesome!

emeraldchickpea

Would a design based on this make it through?

phys·ic (fzk)
n.
1. A medicine or drug, especially a cathartic.
2. Archaic The art or profession of medicine.

tr.v. phys·icked, phys·ick·ing, phys·ics

1. To act on as a cathartic.
2. To cure or heal.
3. To treat with or as if with medicine.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
jasneko wrote:Here is something I am working on. Do people get it right away, or is it too subtle and needs more obvious indicators?

Also, any color preferences would be great! Thinking about red or cran. (And I can also make the one on red with a dark shadow too) Thanks!

BAHAHA! I totally got it right away and lol'd. The disgruntled look on kitty's face is awesome :P I like cranberry, with the red balloon!

Edit: Just saw the rest of the colors- I like the kelly, too! the flattened ears are great, and I definitely like the black whiskers better than the white =)

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

I can do this . . .

It's a tiny bit obscure but it is physics.
Not sure if I should do the bubble in a bubble or something else or nothing at all. lol

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EBOLAinfectedMonkey
llandar wrote:No text means no text, regardless of the language.

Does text include symbols, though (most significantly, "+" and "=")?

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Does text include symbols, though (most significantly, "+" and "=")?

It usually does. I even got dinged for an "X" and a check mark once.

jasneko

JesseBYAH wrote:BAHAHA! I totally got it right away and lol'd. The disgruntled look on kitty's face is awesome :P I like cranberry, with the red balloon!

Edit: Just saw the rest of the colors- I like the kelly, too! the flattened ears are great, and I definitely like the black whiskers better than the white =)

Hehe, oh good, glad you got it right away - and loled!:D Thanks Jesse!
Actually I think I prefer the cranberry and kelly myself out of all I've tried. I also am trying a background... yay or nay to background?

Vote!

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

kanedax wrote:Perhaps I'm a little dim, but I'm trying to figure out what any of the leaders have to do with physics. Maybe it's just too wide-openly-vague of a topic for me to say "that's EXACTLY what a physics shirt should look like!"

If you're looking at the top shirts on the derby page right now, those are the ones still up from the preceding week (Reinterpreting Famous Art Titles), as the Physics entries won't be displayed until tomorrow.

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

This is what I got. I might do a couple more, I don't know, maybe not. Thoughts? Comments? Knock-knock jokes?

emeraldchickpea

jasneko wrote:Hehe, oh good, glad you got it right away - and loled!:D Thanks Jesse!
Actually I think I prefer the cranberry and kelly myself out of all I've tried. I also am trying a background... yay or nay to background?

Kelly. Most assuredly! I like the background too; gives it a bit more....depth?

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jasneko wrote:Hehe, oh good, glad you got it right away - and loled!:D Thanks Jesse!

I like cranberry, olive, grass, kelly, then red. Kelly just seems too primary (yes, I know it's not a primary color; "basic" may be a better word) with yellow and red. And I'm not a big green fan, but olive and grass seem to go well well with the cat and are more unusual choices. It'll look fine on kelly though or whatever color you pick.

I'm loving the shadow edit- that really makes it look way better regardless of what color you make the shadow/outline. It'll also let you make it black without the oil spill effect.

Also a big fan of the black whiskers and white ear hairs, and the flattened ears look great.

The background looks a little ... abrupt. Maybe if there was a line like floor-meets-wall and the background was the coloring of the wall fading up and out? I think it benefits from the extra element but I'm not quite sure how to implement it.

The only other thing I can possibly say is that the cat's neck is a little strange. It looks like it's hunched out a little too far, and should maybe be more concave.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hint of the day: It seems that if you get a 503 error on posting, it did actually post your uhm.... post. If you go back and post again, you get the duplicate.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

SeedUvPain wrote:But seriously folks, here's my very early idea...any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Made me chuckle.

I might put some iron shavings on the "positive" side as well, though in a stereotypically happy way (i.e. his raised eyebrows, afro, elvis-esque hair, etc.)

Out of curiosity, what medium is that? It looks like blue marker (with pen highlights) that you scanned in.

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

emeraldchickpea wrote:Then how many animals with rayguns that go "pew pew" would we be seeing?

No bunnies with rayguns, THAT's for sure =P

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Minimalist Interpretation of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion

Comments or suggestions?

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

How the Moon works...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nathanwpyle wrote:How the Moon works...

No text.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jasneko

skenneldogs wrote:I like cranberry, olive, grass, kelly, then red. Kelly just seems too primary (yes, I know it's not a primary color; "basic" may be a better word) with yellow and red. And I'm not a big green fan, but olive and grass seem to go well well with the cat and are more unusual choices. It'll look fine on kelly though or whatever color you pick.

I'm loving the shadow edit- that really makes it look way better regardless of what color you make the shadow/outline. It'll also let you make it black without the oil spill effect.

Also a big fan of the black whiskers and white ear hairs, and the flattened ears look great.

The background looks a little ... abrupt. Maybe if there was a line like floor-meets-wall and the background was the coloring of the wall fading up and out? I think it benefits from the extra element but I'm not quite sure how to implement it.

The only other thing I can possibly say is that the cat's neck is a little strange. It looks like it's hunched out a little too far, and should maybe be more concave.

Thanks for the detailed feedback skennel! I'm still deciding btw kelly and cranberry at the moment so if anyone prefers one over the other, please chime in!

I added a wall line... does this help the background lose some abruptness?

As to the cat's neck, I'm not sure which part you mean... the back? the front? I based it off a photo I took and the neck is pretty similar.

Thanks very much for the help!

Anyone else, feel free to give your preference between kelly or cranberry or any ideas on improvements - thanks!

Edit:
Tried fading out the background some more.

Vote!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Made me chuckle.

I might put some iron shavings on the "positive" side as well, though in a stereotypically happy way (i.e. his raised eyebrows, afro, elvis-esque hair, etc.)

Out of curiosity, what medium is that? It looks like blue marker (with pen highlights) that you scanned in.

Thanks for the input! Those are great ideas! And as for the medium, it's photoshop and my ol' bamboo tablet. I've learned from my Shakespeare shirt that drawing straight into the program saves me a whole lot of time, as opposed to drawing, scanning, and then RE-drawing the whole thing again

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
skenneldogs wrote:I like the cranberry better, with the red balloon, and the less obvious shadow. A red shirt seems too bright with the yellow cat, but the cranberry is dark enough that it lets the cat really stand out and the red balloon is easily visible on the cranberry as well.

And I think I just like cranberry.

Yeah, that. But also because if it wins I have to buy one and cranberry shirts look good on me! I do like the purple balloon - that may just be me liking purple, but I thought the cat popped (ha ha, I crack myself up) better next to the purple one.

I love your cat. I wonder, did you try putting more than one balloon and decide it was too cluttered? Or is it just the subtlety of the cat's irritated expression with one balloon you were going for? I'm just curious from a design perspective, as I know very little about design.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
ThunderThighs wrote:No text.

Oops! Missed that. Thanks!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I have 2 versions of my design, which I have some concerns about being too similar to the previously printed Newton's cradle design. I think the head-on view is probably better, but I'd like some opinions. Second question is whether I ought to have some insects tied up in the web already...

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
jasneko wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback skennel! I'm still deciding btw kelly and cranberry at the moment so if anyone prefers one over the other, please chime in!

I added a wall line... does this help the background lose some abruptness?

As to the cat's neck, I'm not sure which part you mean... the back? the front? I based it off a photo I took and the neck is pretty similar.

Thanks very much for the help!

Anyone else, feel free to give your preference between kelly or cranberry or any ideas on improvements - thanks!

Edit:
Tried fading out the background some more.

Cranberry's my personal preference but the kelly is nice as well. Loving the more faded-out background, I think it makes a huge difference.

I think I see the issue with the neck. It's that curve or "hump" on the back that ends just where it joins the head. It seems like kind of a high arch - something a little flatter might look more truly catlike?

My cat makes that face when I mildly annoy him. That's one of the things I like about this design.

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman

Ok so I think I want to call this design "A Positive Attraction." If you cannot tell by the image it is supposed to be two protons in love with one another but the nature of physics is not letting them be together. The lines around the protons represent the electric field lines used to envision the electric field at any given point in space around the protons and oddly enough creates the shape of a heart to emphasize their love. I am open to suggestions and would really like to hear what people think about the color scheme as is. Also, should the field lines be one color or alternate colors and should they be more thin? Thanks in advance!!!

enjoystees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjoystees

hmmmmm

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Feedback still welcome

jasneko

Background 2... a softer one. Yay or background 1? (Still deciding between cran and kelly, just using kelly for now)

@Nekkochan - thanks for your comments! I like the purple balloon too but mostly for those who liked the cran liked the red;)

Glad you love the cat! I did think about putting more than one balloon, but when planning it out I decided it had more impact as a single one. (And it would be very easy for it to look cluttered too).

I've definitely seen that high curve of the shoulder blades on cats around me... hmmm. But perhaps I'll change it if it is look weird to some.

lol on your cat making that face!!:D

Vote!

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
apeman wrote:Ok so I think I want to call this design "A Positive Attraction." If you cannot tell by the image it is supposed to be two protons in love with one another but the nature of physics is not letting them be together. The lines around the protons represent the electric field lines used to envision the electric field at any given point in space around the protons and oddly enough creates the shape of a heart to emphasize their love. I am open to suggestions and would really like to hear what people think about the color scheme as is. Also, should the field lines be one color or alternate colors and should they be more thin? Thanks in advance!!!

Wow! We're working on the same general idea (though mine's a bit different) I just wanted you tell you so if you see mine in the derby you don't think I've copied you. ;) (Great execution, btw, LOVE the heart, I definitely wasn't doing that (and won't!))

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

enjoystees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjoystees
odysseyroc wrote:I started thinking about the ocean and waves. My idea is a wave surfing itself. Here's my very rough initial sketch

HAHAHAHA

that's so sick.

I can't wait to see the finished project

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast
SeedUvPain wrote:Feedback still welcome

Your characters are so expressive! GMV

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
apeman wrote:Ok so I think I want to call this design "A Positive Attraction." If you cannot tell by the image it is supposed to be two protons in love with one another but the nature of physics is not letting them be together. The lines around the protons represent the electric field lines used to envision the electric field at any given point in space around the protons and oddly enough creates the shape of a heart to emphasize their love. I am open to suggestions and would really like to hear what people think about the color scheme as is. Also, should the field lines be one color or alternate colors and should they be more thin? Thanks in advance!!!

Just keep in mind that the "+" is considered text ;)