kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast

I decided it looked cooler / more surreal on Navy instead of Black. Which is fine with me because I have plenty of black t-shirts.

Any feedback would be fantastic! I'm lovin' all the other ideas being tossed around in here. I'm looking forward to another great Derby.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Made changes to the neck, also this is background 2 (softer)...

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
apeman wrote:Ok so I think I want to call this design "A Positive Attraction." If you cannot tell by the image it is supposed to be two protons in love with one another but the nature of physics is not letting them be together. The lines around the protons represent the electric field lines used to envision the electric field at any given point in space around the protons and oddly enough creates the shape of a heart to emphasize their love. I am open to suggestions and would really like to hear what people think about the color scheme as is. Also, should the field lines be one color or alternate colors and should they be more thin? Thanks in advance!!!

Text, the plus signs, sorry

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

This gets colored first thing in the morning.

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jasneko wrote:Made changes to the neck, also this is background 2 (softer)...

Love this background! It flows a lot better. Can we see this version on your final shirt color options?

The neck looks awesome ... it was just difficult to tell that the ridge was shoulderblades and not neck roll (which my cat does get lol).

odysseyroc wrote:This gets colored first thing in the morning.

I can't wait to see what you do with this! The color scheme you threw out earlier was sweet.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

My only criticism is about the hand signal being made. You are currently showing a hand symbol meaning "rock" or "rock on." A more appropriate surfing sign would be this (except the guy has a weird thumb) which means "hang lose."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wizardofkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardofkitty

I kind of wished I thought of this during the kawaii derby. But oh well! Any opinions on the color schemes of the nuclear symbol would be much appreciated!

Meredythe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Meredythe
sokowa wrote:It usually does. I even got dinged for an "X" and a check mark once.

Ye' cannot change the laws of physics, Jim.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
kylemittskus wrote:My only criticism is about the hand signal being made. You are currently showing a hand symbol meaning "rock" or "rock on." A more appropriate surfing sign would be this (except the guy has a weird thumb) which means "hang lose."

It's not supposed to be the rock horns or the shaka sign. It's just a thing that I try to throw into my designs whenever possible. It's actually a graffiti thing.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
odysseyroc wrote:It's not supposed to be the rock horns or the shaka sign. It's just a thing that I try to throw into my designs whenever possible. It's actually a graffiti thing.

Well then, more power to you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

enjoystees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjoystees

Heres my idea.

It's pretty rough atm.

jasneko

skenneldogs wrote:Love this background! It flows a lot better. Can we see this version on your final shirt color options?

The neck looks awesome ... it was just difficult to tell that the ridge was shoulderblades and not neck roll (which my cat does get lol).

Thanks skeneeldogs! Haha I know the neck roll too;)

And sure, here they are... cranberry and kelly green.

iloveschocobos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iloveschocobos
CityVelo wrote:I don't know if this would help the design at all, but usually when you introduce a balloon to kitty fur, it stands up. Maybe try to have a couple contour lines suggesting the cat's fur is being statically charged? Does that make sense? Words are failing me today...

I agree, some kitty fur standing up on end would be good and add to the whole static theme. I love the cat's expression

jovan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovan

Ooh-ooh: I want to do something to the effect of "wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff". A gelatin mould of some sort. But how to represent "time"?

Where's my thinking cap?

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
jasneko wrote:Thanks skeneeldogs! Haha I know the neck roll too;)

I'm generally a fan of cranberry, but I think the kelly green looks better here.

One small thing that's bothering me, is (especially on the kelly green) because of the thick border on the balloon, it almost looks like there's space between the cat's body and the balloon, almost making it look like the cat's body is misshapen. Of course I know that's not it, but my brain can't help but almost interpret it that way. Maybe a slightly less thick balloon border would help? That might help with the vlsual of showing the balloon stuck to him becuase the red of the balloon would be closer to the yellow of the fur. Did that even make sense?

Also, I think it's fine without the staticky fur. It seems like it'd be hard to make that look right. The design's good as it is. It might be possible to make it funnier with the static fun, but I don't know if it'd look right or would be worth the time.

wizardofkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardofkitty
jel2301 wrote:I'm generally a fan of cranberry, but I think the kelly green looks better here.

One small thing that's bothering me, is (especially on the kelly green) because of the thick border on the balloon, it almost looks like there's space between the cat's body and the balloon, almost making it look like the cat's body is misshapen. Of course I know that's not it, but my brain can't help but almost interpret it that way. Maybe a slightly less thick balloon border would help? That might help with the vlsual of showing the balloon stuck to him becuase the red of the balloon would be closer to the yellow of the fur. Did that even make sense?

Also, I think it's fine without the staticky fur. It seems like it'd be hard to make that look right. The design's good as it is. It might be possible to make it funnier with the static fun, but I don't know if it'd look right or would be worth the time.

Maybe just have the fur around the balloon point towards the balloon. It doesn't have to be the whole furry body.

jasneko

iloveschocobos wrote:I agree, some kitty fur standing up on end would be good and add to the whole static theme. I love the cat's expression

Thanks iloveschocobos

I did experiment with more staticky fur, but I preferred it smooth. If you'd like to see:

Also the main point (at least in my head) is that the balloon is stuck to the cat.

@jel2301 - thanks for the comments! Good point on the line thickness - I will work on that. And thanks on the staticky fur bit - I agree there.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Lagbert wrote:Minimalist Interpretation of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion

Comments or suggestions?

I'm kinda liking this, but I have seen arrows be rejected as text in the past. Which kind of throws a wrench in the works.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Planetary Revolution is the name of this piece. What do you all think? I like it a lot, but I'd like some feedback now while its still early in the derby. Thanks!

chumpmagic

truffleshuffle wrote:So, here's what I have so far. I wanted to run this by everyone because I don't know if it makes sense without explanation. It's basically an illustration of the twin paradox.

If this gets a no-go I'll probably move on to something with a Rube Goldberg machine...

I got it right of the bat. I don't think it needs anything else beyond what you have (well some color of course :P ). You did a great job of maintaining the character's appearance in the 1st and 3rd frame that its is obvious what has occurred.

Good job and great concept.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

I can't tell what the relation to physics is?

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EBOLAinfectedMonkey
Naolito wrote:Here is my sketch, escaping gravity

Looks great! Out of curiosity, what medium did you work in for that? It looks like a pen&ink sketch brouht into photoshop (?)

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

odysseyroc wrote:I've still got an hour or so of real work to finish before I can really start to refine my design. But, I thought I'd throw together a little color sketch, while the idea is fresh in my mind.

Shouldn't the curves on the left side of the composition curve the same way as those on the right? I might also add a touch of foam to the left side of the wave. Looks great otherwise, though! Incidentally, what medium are you working in? It looks like a pen sketch brought into photoshop

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

venturboy wrote:That was a terrible pun.

I can't believe I didn't think of it first.

That was an excellent pun! Haha

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Looks great! Out of curiosity, what medium did you work in for that? It looks like a pen&ink sketch brouht into photoshop (?)

About the sketching part, it's 100% photoshop using a wacom intuos tablet

Here is the final version, maybe i'll prepare another one later, now is time to sleep!!

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo
jasneko wrote:Thanks iloveschocobos

I did experiment with more staticky fur, but I preferred it smooth. If you'd like to see:

Also the main point (at least in my head) is that the balloon is stuck to the cat.

@jel2301 - thanks for the comments! Good point on the line thickness - I will work on that. And thanks on the staticky fur bit - I agree there.

I agree with the person who said the line of the balloon against the cat was too thick. You might want to try to thin that line up a bit (not the entire balloon, but just the part where it's against the fur of the cat).

I'd suggest some static-fur to alleviate that heavy line. What you attempted was a fair result -- but perhaps simplify it a little bit more. You could try to have some of the fur sticking up where that balloon line is too thick. Does that make sense?

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

Josephus wrote:I have 2 versions of my design, which I have some concerns about being too similar to the previously printed Newton's cradle design. I think the head-on view is probably better, but I'd like some opinions. Second question is whether I ought to have some insects tied up in the web already...

LOVE the head-on view. Great use of perspective (expecially of the web tapering off into the distance)

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

apeman wrote:Ok so I think I want to call this design "A Positive Attraction." If you cannot tell by the image it is supposed to be two protons in love with one another but the nature of physics is not letting them be together. The lines around the protons represent the electric field lines used to envision the electric field at any given point in space around the protons and oddly enough creates the shape of a heart to emphasize their love. I am open to suggestions and would really like to hear what people think about the color scheme as is. Also, should the field lines be one color or alternate colors and should they be more thin? Thanks in advance!!!

Cute! Keep the lines the same color, but I might add a few more, or make the heart contour a little more pronounced (it didn't read immediately for me (though it would from far away; a good quality for a shirt (for the punchline to only be visible closer up), but if the average voter doesn't notice the heart, you might not get as many votes))

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

sokowa wrote:I can do this . . .

It's a tiny bit obscure but it is physics.
Not sure if I should do the bubble in a bubble or something else or nothing at all. lol

Love it! I'm curious as to what medium you used. It really pops visually

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo
CityVelo wrote:Blar blar blar blar ramble ramble nonsensical words slurred together in attempt for coherent thought

This is what I meant... only... executed a little better. It might not even be worth your time, but something to consider for future line work (how to interrupt a strong line to suggest depth).

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

Re my last post: Oh, I see, the wave has already crashed on the left side of the comp

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

Naolito wrote:About the sketching part, it's 100% photoshop using a wacom intuos tablet

Here is the final version, maybe i'll prepare another one later, now is time to sleep!!

Wow! More power to you. One thing though, I've tried sketching on my tablet and get--for lack of a better word--"wonky" lines. How did you get yours so smooth (especially for the contours of the balloon). Is that use of the"sharpen edges" option?

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

EBOLAinfectedMonkey

SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks for the input! Those are great ideas! And as for the medium, it's photoshop and my ol' bamboo tablet. I've learned from my Shakespeare shirt that drawing straight into the program saves me a whole lot of time, as opposed to drawing, scanning, and then RE-drawing the whole thing again

Sweet! One question: how do you crisp up your lines? I've tried sketching on my tablet before, and end up with slightly squiggly lines (due to the way the program reads it), and then I used marquees and spline paths to approximate and smooth my lines (which takes HORRENDOUSLY long). I see how by using shorter lines (on your sketch) you reduce the apparent wiggle. But to transition to your colored drawing, how do you get such smooth curves?

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

jasneko

Thanks for all the help CityVelo and everyone

Giving it a try with the staticky fur... better like this? Or better smooth?

emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback skennel! I'm still deciding btw kelly and cranberry at the moment so if anyone prefers one over the other, please chime in!

I added a wall line... does this help the background lose some abruptness?

As to the cat's neck, I'm not sure which part you mean... the back? the front? I based it off a photo I took and the neck is pretty similar.

Thanks very much for the help!

Anyone else, feel free to give your preference between kelly or cranberry or any ideas on improvements - thanks!

Edit:
Tried fading out the background some more.

I think we've got it! Love the kelly and the changes. I'd be in for one in a minute!!!

chumpmagic

EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Wow! More power to you. One thing though, I've tried sketching on my tablet and get--for lack of a better word--"wonky" lines. How did you get yours so smooth (especially for the contours of the balloon). Is that use of the"sharpen edges" option?

You may be applying to much pressure. Swift, smooth strokes seem to come out the cleanest. Also, never hesitate to over draw and and erase out the unwanted. For example, if you want a line that comes to a fine point, just draw a solid line with the same weight and go back and use the eraser to taper it.

Also, for me, clean lines just take a lot of time and patients. Don't assume that he or she got all those line in with one stroke each. It probably took a bit of undos and reworking to get that epicness it has now.

hope that made sense or was helpful.

emeraldchickpea

Josephus wrote:I have 2 versions of my design, which I have some concerns about being too similar to the previously printed Newton's cradle design. I think the head-on view is probably better, but I'd like some opinions. Second question is whether I ought to have some insects tied up in the web already...

The head on one gives a neat perspective. And the web sure reminds me of that gravity well... maybe dip the center somehow if you want to follow through on that thought?

jasneko

emeraldchickpea wrote:I think we've got it! Love the kelly and the changes. I'd be in for one in a minute!!!

Yay, thanks Emeraldchickpea!
I did some more changes since that image, so take a look above and tell me if you like those changes or prefer the one you quoted. The above ones have a 1)much softer background 2) more staticky fur.
Thanks!

emeraldchickpea

jasneko wrote:Made changes to the neck, also this is background 2 (softer)...

Having cats myself, the hunched position of the shoulders seems more "natural" looking to me. I'm envisioning the cat having it's shoulders scrunched up, TRYING to look over at the ^%^$&&& thing back there, and wearing THAT look...ears flattened, sort of petulant and disgusted at the same time.

emeraldchickpea

jasneko wrote:Thanks skeneeldogs! Haha I know the neck roll too;)

Kelly for sure!!!!!!!!!!