emeraldchickpea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldchickpea
jasneko wrote:Thanks for all the help CityVelo and everyone

Giving it a try with the staticky fur... better like this? Or better smooth?

I like it better smooth. Doing spikeys like that takes away from the effect somehow, IMHO.

emeraldchickpea

jasneko wrote:Yay, thanks Emeraldchickpea!
I did some more changes since that image, so take a look above and tell me if you like those changes or prefer the one you quoted. The above ones have a 1)much softer background 2) more staticky fur.
Thanks!

Of these two I like the slightly darker background. I already commented elsewhere that I like the smooth version better then the fuzzy backed ones.

JBrach820

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JBrach820
jasneko wrote:Thanks skeneeldogs! Haha I know the neck roll too;)

And sure, here they are... cranberry and kelly green.

Digging the design, just wondering about the placement...it might look better just a touch lower down on the shirt rather than coming up so close to the neckline.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

This is my next idea. I need your opinion of shirt color.

Cranberry, Kelly Green, Asphalt, or Navy.

The shirt is called "The Subatomic Emotional State of a Creative Block".

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
jasneko wrote:Made changes to the neck, also this is background 2 (softer)...

I dig it! Keep the cat smooth and on Cranberry. The expression of the cat is the key, not the fur.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Sweet! One question: how do you crisp up your lines? I've tried sketching on my tablet before, and end up with slightly squiggly lines (due to the way the program reads it), and then I used marquees and spline paths to approximate and smooth my lines (which takes HORRENDOUSLY long). I see how by using shorter lines (on your sketch) you reduce the apparent wiggle. But to transition to your colored drawing, how do you get such smooth curves?

It's all about zooming in. To get nice clean lines do a rough sketch so you know what your doing then zoom in to at least 200% and work those lines in. That's one of the most annoying things using an Intuos in PS. I have noticed that Painter does a much better job keeping your lines clean and jiggle free zoomed out but it's such a system hog I usually don't bother with it as you can start to develope major input lag even on a fast system (another reason I hate Corel products). It's a shame too because I do like the effects painter can create in a much shorter time period then PS.

CityVelo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo
studio1172 wrote:I dig it! Keep the cat smooth and on Cranberry. The expression of the cat is the key, not the fur.

To be fair, the derby theme is Physics... Not kitty expressions. :P

I thought the static-fur would help round out the design and theme. However, if it's not working for the design, it's not working for the design.

Jasneko -- I, personally, liked the edits you made with only a few nitpicky suggestions of reducing the amount of prickly fur near the head of the cat... Also, the transition you did from fur-to-balloon on the left side is great. If you could mimic that on the right side and fade into that smooth line near the head of the cat, it would work nicely.

Whatever it is you decide to do, I sincerely appreciate the amount of consideration you take to edit your designs based on suggestions of us random folk. It's nice to see someone actively working on evolving both the design and themselves as a designer. Just remember that in the end, it's your judgment call for your submission.

Keep it up and good luck!

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jasneko wrote:Here is something I am working on. Do people get it right away, or is it too subtle and needs more obvious indicators?

Also, any color preferences would be great! Thinking about red or cran. (And I can also make the one on red with a dark shadow too) Thanks!

mr. kitty looks grumpus. =)

Happy Beer.

Mroczkowski

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mroczkowski
jel2301 wrote:Yeah, the lack of text for equations is disappointing. I'm a fan of equations, as nerdy as that may be, so I think I would have been happy to see how they would've been used in the designs.

No text for equations, but...

hopefully this will make people think of ways to express the equations without text. Draw the vectors or fields. Who drew the magnetic fields? I think he was horrible with math and drew a lot of pictures instead. Made everyone think in a completely different way...

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Sweet! One question: how do you crisp up your lines? I've tried sketching on my tablet before, and end up with slightly squiggly lines (due to the way the program reads it), and then I used marquees and spline paths to approximate and smooth my lines (which takes HORRENDOUSLY long). I see how by using shorter lines (on your sketch) you reduce the apparent wiggle. But to transition to your colored drawing, how do you get such smooth curves?

IMO, Illustrator is better for smooth lines than Photoshop, too, because it vectorizes them so it makes them smoother.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

a simple question of weight ratios

emeraldchickpea

studio1172 wrote:This is my next idea. I need your opinion of shirt color.

Cranberry

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
artulo wrote:a simple question of weight ratios

winner

enjoystees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjoystees

This made me burst into laughter, the reference is hilarious. One of my favorite movies I would definately be In for one.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
EBOLAinfectedMonkey wrote:Love it! I'm curious as to what medium you used. It really pops visually

Thanks. It's 100% illustrator and then Photoshop to plop it onto a shirt template.
Still not sure about the thought bubbles . . .

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast

*his best outrageous French accent*

Ohhh yes, it's very nice-ah!

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs
jasneko wrote:And sure, here they are... cranberry and kelly green.

I think kelly works better now that I see them together, but cranberry is still my personal preference (with a black outline if you have enough colors). I think less ink in the balloon-fur outline is a good idea. And smooth fur looks fine and gets the message across fine, although static fur is a nice idea.

studio1172 wrote:This is my next idea. I need your opinion of shirt color.

Cranberry or navy for sure.

Is that text in the eyes of the rejectionator?

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11

i hate to sound like a noob but where are you guys getting these shirt templates to place your design on? the submission page is giving me issues too.

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11
cynic11 wrote:i hate to sound like a noob but where are you guys getting these shirt templates to place your design on? the submission page is giving me issues too.

i dont even know what sizes the photoshop files can be set to, anybody?

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

hello here's what I came up with...

I was thinking about optics and the most recent issue of National Geographic with an article on blue holes and underwater cave exploration.

any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I'm calling it "Diving with Photons" for now.

zosai

cynic11 wrote:i dont even know what sizes the photoshop files can be set to, anybody?

These links were very helpful to me...

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2279598

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
sokowa wrote:I can do this . . .

It's a tiny bit obscure but it is physics.
Not sure if I should do the bubble in a bubble or something else or nothing at all. lol

Ha! Love this design. I think it would be better without the smiley face and possibly with a smiling, more cartoonish cow in the thought bubble. Great job, though.

zosai

jasneko wrote:

I'd go with the kelly green, mainly because the balloon and cat stand out more. I really like the expression in the ears, and I enjoyed seeing all of your steps!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
skenneldogs wrote:Is that text in the eyes of the rejectionator?

I think it'll pass, because they're not characters that are part of any language. Thanks everyone for the nice comments

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
skenneldogs wrote:Is that text in the eyes of the rejectionator?

I think the check mark may have previously been rejected as text. I'd go with a thumbs down and thumbs up instead.

edit: though why a bird would be using a thumbs up or down is a little difficult. mebe a smiiling bird and a frowning bird.

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

Well, here is my final image ready to submit, I'm really happy with the result this time :D

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Haha, I think it's officially a race for 2nd and 3rd place now. Classic.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Fun designs this week!

Here's the rough version of what I'm working on.

"Frontier physics"

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! And I'm glad some of you enjoy watching the process too. After some of the changes, I think I'm going to go with the smooth one - but very much appreciate the suggestions and help!

As far as colors go, right now it looks like kelly green is the general preference between that and cranberry, but feel free to keep giving your choice between the two (and if cranberry, the black ink or the lighter ink) - thanks

PS. Anyone have any ideas for a title?

Vote!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

now with more smiley cow!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I'm not sure which color shirt to go with. Feedback would be appreciated.

Kelly

Navy

Royal

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jasneko wrote:PS. Anyone have any ideas for a title?

Just trying to please every freaking person in the forum?

I will kill you while you sleep?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not sure which color shirt to go with. Feedback would be appreciated.

Kelly

Navy

Royal

I really like the royal blue, it makes for a great summertime feel. Those colors are awesome, really love this. I'm from a beach town, so this reminds me of some good days....ahhh..ocean.

The one time I did try to surf ended in disaster, though. Let's just say I am far too short to handle a longboard in very high surf...(remembers tumbling along the ocean floor, laughing out loud under water at how tarded I must look)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
ThunderThighs wrote:Just trying to please every freaking person in the forum?

I will kill you while you sleep?

LOLs to both! When people are being helpful with good ideas and I have the time, might as well give em a try

Vote!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

odysseyroc wrote:I'm not sure which color shirt to go with. Feedback would be appreciated.

Navy

I like the Navy.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
bassanimation wrote:I really like the royal blue, it makes for a great summertime feel. Those colors are awesome, really love this. I'm from a beach town, so this reminds me of some good days....ahhh..ocean.

Thanks! I was leaning toward Royal too. I moved from the South Bay in sunny So Cal to the Midwest, so it reminds me of the good old days too.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jasneko wrote:Thanks everyone for all the feedback! And I'm glad some of you enjoy watching the process too. After some of the changes, I think I'm going to go with the smooth one - but very much appreciate the suggestions and help!

As far as colors go, right now it looks like kelly green is the general preference between that and cranberry, but feel free to keep giving your choice between the two (and if cranberry, the black ink or the lighter ink) - thanks

"c'mon meow! quit it!"

Happy Beer.

Josephus

jasneko wrote:Thanks everyone for all the feedback! And I'm glad some of you enjoy watching the process too. After some of the changes, I think I'm going to go with the smooth one - but very much appreciate the suggestions and help!

"at least I'm out of that box..er, boxes."

Josephus

Kelly

Navy

Royal

royal and green are about even. both better than navy, it just doesn't quite seem to belong on the navy shirt.

ozzymandies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozzymandies

Hi
Here's what I came up with.

No Escape - not even light escapes a massive black hole.
I'd love to know what you think about it.