ellerythecelery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellerythecelery
e3m3m3i wrote:I like the shirt and the idea; however, I am just concerned about how it might look on a female. The whole curve of the waves and where it's located on the shirt...

Thank you for making this comment! I agree this is a great design, but I would hesitate to buy it because of the way the design placement would look in person on a female. There are so many fantastic Woot shirts that present this difficulty... I know the winning derby shirts are all up to the artists and the voters, but I wonder if Woot's concerned female buyers should mention something to the staff about considering us when they select shirts during the rest of the week.

Apeman, I don't mean to discredit your work at all -- I'm definitely voting for your shirt because I think it's well done and a great idea. I just thought this might be a good opportunity to address this issue. Thanks!

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
viciousspike wrote:Yellow on olive sounds fantabulous! Do it. DO IT!!

+1 use of fantabulous

Yellow on olive would be very nice indeed, but it's too late for that sort of thing now.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
BootsBoots wrote:Oh, in all the hub-bub I forgot to comment about this design itself: IT SUCKS! ;)

(actually I think you guys did a great job on the artwork. Color me impressed. I agree with the people who say they wouldn't wear it on a shirt, but only because it's not my style. I don't see anything inherently unwearable about it)

Thanks Boots, btw your stuff really sucks, hard ;)

tjost

LOLcommunism wrote:I submitted 5 different submissions this derby! Mind you! )< And I apologized for the clouds already. Also, I complimented this shirt, and stated my opinion. Thanks for the sass though.

I appreciate the compliment and if you notice the large smiley face next to what I said, that should give you a clue as to how it was delivered. Not bashing your art, but it's never a good idea to resub the same thing like that over and over again (I think the only piece that gets away with that on a constant basis is the pucker).

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • See those girls they're heaven blessed -- I guess it's so they know best.

For the sake of this derby, I hope this was an over-zealous award. This needs to print.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
AdderXYU wrote:For the sake of this derby, I hope this was an over-zealous award. This needs to print.

Agreed. Best I can tell it's at least top 5, assuming no ridiculous jumps in votes in other entries.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
AdderXYU wrote:For the sake of this derby, I hope this was an over-zealous award. This needs to print.

Like it says in the fine print, "I'm HOPING this prints". If I had to limit myself to only giving BLAs to stuff out of the fog, some weeks would be pretty sparse...

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

Thanks!

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast
Conchita wrote:I like it, but it looks like a Brown Strawberry..

Hahaha! Didn't see that til just now! I have to kinda agree with you there...

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Thanks so much, Robert!

Also thanks to everyone for the crazy amazing support for these little guys. I had no idea they would get this kind of response, seriously. I'm really happy people liked them overall. I sure appreciate it and they were a lot of fun to draw.

Also special thanks to Ressamac for the BLA recommendation :D, and to Lagbert, who has kindly helped me review my pulley system to make it be more effective. I will be revisiting that part of the design here soon to make it more physics worthy

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: The Force of Attraction

I can't understand why this isn't in the fog!

esotees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esotees

Siick T, man.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
Re: Gravity

Thanks everyone!!! Damm! I was getting so close....

loaba

I love the design simplicity, it's very wearable. But if you hadn't explained the 3rd law of Physics to me, I wouldn't get it. It's just too abstract.

loaba

loaba wrote:I love the design simplicity, it's very wearable. But if you hadn't explained the 3rd law of Physics to me, I wouldn't get it. It's just too abstract.

And I still don't get it apparently (it's 3rd law of Motion...)

bassanimation

Re: Cold Fusion

Thanks for the support (or not) for this design everyone. It was a nice chance to do something out of the ordinary for myself. And of course I'm always in awe of TJost's color work. He did a fantastic job on this, as always! -high five!-

About the above debate on proper critiquing of art: I've been a working professional for over 10 years now, and I'm also an art school graduate. Not once in that time has a teacher, mentor, boss, or even coworker used the word 'suck' to describe mine or another's work. There were a few times in school that people did say that to me, but those people were all under the age of 18 and had plenty of ulterior motives for their statements. Take what you will from that.

I've been dealt harsh criticism before, loads of it even. But it was always given with the genuine intention of making the final product better rather than berating me or proving one's own superiority. It was given with mutual respect. Any child can say something sucks. Most learned adults can formulate a better way to point out the faults in something (especially if you claim yourself an 'expert', as some people do here). If you truly want a final piece of artwork to be better, or to encourage someone to be better overall, you can choose from two ways to do it. One of those ways will not garner you any good will or respect, and one will. You're free to choose how you would rather go about things.

Thanks again everyone, see you another time.

linablade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linablade
MysticHead wrote:Nice! good clean design clever idea, keep it up

Very nice design. It clearly comes across as representing string theory in a whimsical way. And nice choice of colors! I'm surprised this isn't getting more votes. +1

bassanimation

Re: Mass X Acceleration

Sorry this didn't move up faster, Lucky! One of my favorites this derby! I hope you'll resub it to another venue sometime. I'd be happy to go vote or buy!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Cold Fusion

I think it looks great guys. I just recently saw Can We Make a Star on Earth on the Science Channel. Pretty cool stuff.

jxchen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jxchen
LOLcommunism wrote:Agreed.

This rejection doesn't make a lot of sense, but I am really confused to see so many people supporting what is a giant style bite of Jhonen Vasquez's work. I guess it's ok to rip people's style as long as it's not Japanese looking.

bassanimation

Re: Time for your PHYSICal

Hahaaaa!! I kept meaning to come in and comment here. This week's been so funky, plus getting beaten by allergies today..barrhh.

I enjoy your entries each and every week, megs! As a huge animation fan, I cannot get enough of your awesome skill in creating characters. I would totally wear this, and of course +1, since time of submittal. -air guitar for animation!-

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: COWABUNGA

Thanks to everybody who supported this design and left great comments.

realtimelaundry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtimelaundry
Re: Alice in Fissionland

I would buy as is, stupid derby rules always gettin' me down... much like The Man.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
megsck wrote:i think you are confusing criticism with appreciation. "this design is awesome, you're so talented!" is someone appreciating someone else's work. they have no problems with that design and would like the artist to know that they like their stuff. but someone saying, "you design sucks i hate it!" is not a CRITIQUE it is just someone expressing their dislike for the piece without offering any constructive criticism back. This is the point im trying to make. A CRITICISM will always be helpful, but being RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL will never be helpful.

EDIT: being thick skinned as nothing to do with anything, sure some people can take things other people cant but the point is to be respectful and to be helpful.

I don't think I'm confused. My opinion's just different than yours. I don't see why a person would have the right to "appreciate" someone's art, but wouldn't have the right to "not appreciate" it.

megsck wrote: This is the point im trying to make. A CRITICISM will always be helpful, but being RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL will never be helpful.

They'll never be helpful to you personally (and that's ok), but I actually find people's rude and disrespectful comments helpful (in the same way I find their "appreciation" helpful.

I'm not trying to tell you you're opinion's wrong or anything, Meg. I'm just offering up my own opinion, which happens to be different. It's too bad everyone has their own thoughts about things. In a perfect world everyone would just agree with me. ;)

wizardofkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardofkitty
Re: I lost my sock

It's face is so priceless. XD

tjost

tgentry wrote:I think it looks great guys. I just recently saw Can We Make a Star on Earth on the Science Channel. Pretty cool stuff.

Travis any comments from you negative or positive are always taken with great respect and admiration, you are one of the greats here. Thanks

aprilfrogs1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aprilfrogs1
linablade wrote:Very nice design. It clearly comes across as representing string theory in a whimsical way. And nice choice of colors! I'm surprised this isn't getting more votes. +1

Thanks guys! Positive feedback always feel good after having worked so hard on a shirt, as I'm sure you know.

diveinvolved

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diveinvolved
Re: Nuclear Physics

Easily the best one in this Derby. If it prints, definitely will buy. Excellent work!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
loaba wrote:And I still don't get it apparently (it's 3rd law of Motion...)

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion

I agree it is abstract, but then a lot of physics is rather abstract.

jjhatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjhatch
Re: Nuclear Physics

I LOVE this shirt. Very wearable, and the design is clever. I would definitely wear this, and I'm not usually a fan of yellow shirts.

loaba

Lagbert wrote:This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion

I agree it is abstract, but then a lot of physics is rather abstract.

Thanks for the link. I wonder, could you find a way to incorporate a Roman numeral III? Would that still count as text?

loaba

Wearable, funny, it's classic Woot.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Pulleys

Hopefully there will be no revisiting required. I'm still pull(ey)ing for this to make it up to third place, at least!

C'mon!

bassanimation

tjost wrote:Travis any comments from you negative or positive are always taken with great respect and admiration, you are one of the greats here. Thanks

Gotta second this, haha. TGengry's art is like a unicorn. Beautiful, majestic, and only a virgin can touch it lest the world be covered in darkness and evil Tim Curry devils.

Wait...axe that last part...cause it's creepy. Keep the majestic and beautiful part though.

I think my brain is being affect by the fact that it's 6 pm and it's 80 degrees in my house. WTFTEXASHEAT.

jerudel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerudel
Re: Diving With Photons!

This looks SO cool!! I wish I could draw like that! Great job!!

bassanimation

Re: butterfly effect

This is a really beautiful design, Radio. I hope you can resub it to another venue sometime.

bassanimation

Spiritgreen wrote:Hopefully there will be no revisiting required. I'm still pull(ey)ing for this to make it up to third place, at least!

C'mon!

If it were to make 3rd I'd do the fresh cake dance...srsly, hahaha!

Also voted for Octopong on Tless! Love that one.

lunadust12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunadust12
dwgriffiths411 wrote:I know that you must be joking when you say posting the same thing over and over. You must be aware of variations on a theme. Do you have something against people with glasses or those who sport stylish hair growth? Thanks for the Cafepress tip.

you are posting the same thing over and over. its still the same photo used you are being rejected for.

zenith1047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith1047
Re: Alice in Fissionland

aww man, you didn't fix and resubmit
oh well, if you put it up somewhere that prints cheap t shirts, could i be notified? I really dig this design.

Pretending to be human since 1913

LOLcommunism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism

Pushed outta the fog? I will not stand for this!

Would you kindly...