WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're still recovering from our own cross-country drive, and it's an American tradition to take to the highways when the weather is hot. There are giant balls of yarn to see and Stuckey's Pecan Logs to eat and games of license plate bingo to play! This week, show us how you hit the open road with your take on road trips: the cramped car, the greasy food, and the "natural" wonders just 14 miles from the next exit. It could be an "all aboard" kind of excitement, or it could illustrate the crushing ennui of sitting in a cramped station wagon (we didn't have "crossover vehicles" when WE were kids, dagnabit) waiting four and a half hours for the next pit stop. Of course you've still got to observe the rules of the proverbial road:

No video games.

No Star Wars.

No bunnies.

Incidental text only. If somebody's holding a map, fine. But no reports on the best road trip you and your family took to Elko.

No purple.
A totally random rule from a totally random Woot staffer totally randomly-named Aliki.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some Woot staffers are moving, or preparing to move, over the next several days, so all submissions must include print-ready artwork. Don't email it in later, or neglect to submit it entirely. We need print-ready artwork along with your submission.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

Best road trip?

Foamhenge, baby!

edit:

F-I-R-S-T!!!!

WOO HOO!!!

YAY ME!!!

I AM THE FIRST COMMMENT, BABY!!!

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

I looove this derby!! thinking!

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH

How fitting! I am leaving on a roadtrip tonight! WOOHOO!!!

If anyone's curious... Winona, MN to Middle of Nowhere, VA. Can't wait!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

We sadly have no purple shirts, and now no purple ink... poor purple.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
jasneko wrote:We sadly have no purple shirts, and now no purple ink... poor purple.

I want a light purple shirt so baddddddddd. Come on woot, add two more colors just to make it even. I'm beggggggin ya,

wizardofkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardofkitty
jasneko wrote:We sadly have no purple shirts, and now no purple ink... poor purple.

You'd think they're actively trying to stop double rainbow shirt designs without saying "no rainbows".

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

And really, what back-seat car trip fight would be complete without the requisite purple-nurple from a sibling?

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
wizardofkitty wrote:You'd think they're actively trying to stop double rainbow shirt designs without saying "no rainbows".

Seems a bit odd that they would ban a color, random or not. Not that I was planning on using purple or anything, but what if the Grimace decides to drop in and say hullo?

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom

We like purple. Yes.

Seriously, though, purple shirts would rock.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Here's my recent car trip experience. Just got back from a nice 15 hour car drive (both ways) from Indiana to Hilton Head, SC. Drove with my wife and two kids.

Memorable experiences:
Son (2 1/2) pukes on the floor of a Wendys somewhere in Kentucky...or maybe it was Tennessee.

Daughter (5 1/2) pukes about every 50 miles or so on the way back home. Part of this during some sort of tornado I think we may have driven through.

Saw an alarming number of stray cats at every gas stop on the way home.

None of these things will help me to create a nice shirt.

Naolito

Here is my idea! Fast fast sketch

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
wizardofkitty wrote:You'd think they're actively trying to stop double rainbow shirt designs without saying "no rainbows".

That's a good thing, IMO

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's my initial idea: I left My Wallet in El Segundo

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
MadamAtom wrote:We like purple. Yes.

Seriously, though, purple shirts would rock.

LOL You should check out Tilteed more often. I swear, we end up with a purple tee once a month XD

SeedUvPain

Thanks woot for forcing me to draw the one thing I hate: CARS

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

What about lilac? Is lilac okay? :P

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

fluffiemuffins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluffiemuffins

Here's my sketch (sorry for bad pic): Road Tripping!

I'm just not sure what color shirt I should do.

And I have to fix the camera. XD

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

If you'd like to draw weird tourist attractions, here's a pretty fun list:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/blog/parade-magazine-handy-links/

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
cmdixon2 wrote:Here's my recent car trip experience. Just got back from a nice 15 hour car drive (both ways) from Indiana to Hilton Head, SC. Drove with my wife and two kids.

Memorable experiences:
Son (2 1/2) pukes on the floor of a Wendys somewhere in Kentucky...or maybe it was Tennessee.

Daughter (5 1/2) pukes about every 50 miles or so on the way back home. Part of this during some sort of tornado I think we may have driven through.

Saw an alarming number of stray cats at every gas stop on the way home.

None of these things will help me to create a nice shirt.

I love indiana. My trip there in june was much less eventful. I'm very happy for that.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

No purple?!?

Well, I think I'll be skipping this derby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks woot for forcing me to draw the one thing I hate: CARS

Check your messages

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar

Please note that due to some last-minute schedule shuffling we are now requiring your submissions to include print-ready artwork. The note has been added to the Derby rules.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
fluffiemuffins wrote:Here's my sketch (sorry for bad pic): Road Tripping!

I'm just not sure what color shirt I should do.

And I have to fix the camera. XD

Haha, that's cute! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I'm excited to see what everyone else comes up with too!
I know nothing about road trips (although I've always wanted to take one) , so I'll see what I can do.

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

Ok, this theme is awesome, but I have two questions for you experienced designers.

Would a series of road signs with text on them be more than incidental? Are speech balloons outlawed?

and, do you think a design based on the Oregon Trail would be too far off-topic? Migration is a bit different than a trip to and from home in a car...but similar conditions apply.

It wouldn't be related to the "you have died of dysentery" kind of designs either, btw.

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

nevermind, please disregard my second question, I imagine that would get rejected for the "no video games" rule.

SeedUvPain

zosai wrote:nevermind, please disregard my second question, I imagine that would get rejected for the "no video games" rule.

I had the exact same thought, and then the exact same disappointing second thought

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks woot for forcing me to draw the one thing I hate: CARS

i second that! >_<

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
zosai wrote:Ok, this theme is awesome, but I have two questions for you experienced designers.

Would a series of road signs with text on them be more than incidental? Are speech balloons outlawed?

and, do you think a design based on the Oregon Trail would be too far off-topic? Migration is a bit different than a trip to and from home in a car...but similar conditions apply.

It wouldn't be related to the "you have died of dysentery" kind of designs either, btw.

In answer to your first questions, I think it's largely dependent on what else is going on in the design. If it features nothing BUT road signs, then no, the text is not incidental, and the shirt would likely be rejected. Speech bubbles, I believe, would be a definite no-go.

I think what Woot usually means by incidental text is that background elements that feature some text are ok (like the map example given), but the basis of the design itself can't be the text or written elements.

(I've probably worded this horribly and made very little sense ... someone with more experience please jump in to correct me at-will.)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

In past derbies incidental text has meant anything that would naturally have text on it. No floating captions or bubbles, and not -just- an element with text on it. It's fine to have a sign or two so long as they are a natural part of the design.

I have a fun idea that I'm eager to start drawing, first though I'm going to make darn sure it's wearable. I'll work as rough and broad as I can until the colors and layout feel right. Then begin.

Still learning!

Good luck to everyone this week! :^)

SeedUvPain

Here's what I'm working on this week:

Feedback always welcome

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
JadenKale wrote:You should check out Tilteed more often.

Heh! Actually I do check it regularly, but I'm closer to the geeky/pop-cult-y/funny end of the spectrum than the artistic end, so Woot designs--yes, especially derby designs--tend to appeal to me more often than most of what's on the more artistic sites. (My one Tilteed shirt is childmirror's Race, so yeah.) So what I really want is for Woot designers to get hold of some new background colors.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
odysseyroc wrote:Here's my initial idea: I left My Wallet in El Segundo

Tribe. Tribe. Tribe. looooove.

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
SeedUvPain wrote:Here's what I'm working on this week:

Feedback always welcome

My feedback: CANNOT WAIT to see it colored. LOVING it!!!!!

Naolito

Sketch v2:

Maybe I'm going to put the character more sided to make more evident the bag on his back

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

My mom will not fly anywhere, so growing up I took road trips everywhere... so many memories! Like my brother packing 1 pair of pants for a 3 week camping trip and then falling in the mud at Yellowstone, or hitting a traffic barrel at 65 mph because I completely missed the fact they were closing my lane, or my favorite - needing to stop every 30 minutes on a 12 hour trip back home from MN for my dog who had diarrhea.

I do think the numerous car trips that I had to share the bench seat with the cooler and one of my brothers (the other got the entire back seat!) trained me to fall asleep in whatever contorted position I felt like. This talent is now quite useful on bus trips, flights, and numerous public spaces :-)

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I foresee dwgriffiths411 posting a picture of Darth Vader hitching a ride from a bunny driving a purple car, in front of a billboard with a photo of Boris Karloff.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I have a billion ideas...and of course no time because I have an event thing this weekend. Blast! I will try to do one anyways -straps on Can-Do Helmet of +20-

...-also straps on Funnel of Coffee-ing +90-..

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Isn't it fitting that the road trip derby comes whiles I'm on vacation. Let's see how well I can design a shirt on my netbook... (at least I have my tablet and photoshop with me)

SeedUvPain

vzfamily wrote:My feedback: CANNOT WAIT to see it colored. LOVING it!!!!!

Thanks! I'm passing the reins on to OdysseyRoc for the coloring, so I'm excited too