jjhatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjhatch
Re: The Four Seahorses of the Apocalypse

The red one reminds me of a Transformer.

I approve.

iloveschocobos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iloveschocobos
BrysonReb wrote:A'tuin has no head... :'(

Yeah, turns out I suck at making turtle heads, but mostly I meant to make it look like they were passing by earth at a great speed. I think I should've had less of the body in the shot. At least this version is better than the first one, even if it is still a bit of a fail

spacedowtjedi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacedowtjedi
Re: Duck and Cover

WINNER!

enikcilik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enikcilik

LOVE LOVE LOVE this shirt!!! I hope you win so I can buy it! :D

Re: four horsemen

Twowoot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Twowoot
Re: Shroomsday!

You should print up a bunch and bike them out to Burning Man. Wrong type of mushshroom technically, but it looks like the Shroom God who expects subservient bowing down before his mightiness.

Said in the many voices of the three-eyed aliens of Toy Story, "Behold! The Shroom!"

Print them on hemp and you'll be able to retire.

I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more pong! (What Christopher Walken should have said in Balls of Fury.)

tabaddon

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tabaddon
Re: Unexpected Error

Still ITF. w00t! :D

Be quicker of mind than of tongue.
Opinions are not advice, nor directives.
The world is not limited by your limited experience.
I'm not better than anyone else, and neither are you.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: It Came For Cotton Candy

Thank you!

I wish this design stood out in the crowd of entries better. Maybe the softer colors are working against it, although I think it would be nice & wearable if I do say so myself. -_^

ladyveronica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyveronica
Re: Maybe We Should Split Up...

Oh, Wizzr, my man! You are the King of the Concept!
Keep 'em coming!

nameofuser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nameofuser
Re: Killer Kindergartener

I feel like that!

culturedjo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages culturedjo
Re: Don't call them pretty ponies...

Oh my goodnessssss! I really want this one to win!!!!!

sallyshirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sallyshirt
Re: The Four Seahorses of the Apocalypse

Brilliant. The best design in this derby.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
PixelPants wrote:I was away over the weekend and had a late start, but still wanted to see this one through.

I'm glad you did, it's great. Do you have a link to a bigger image?

moreluck335

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moreluck335
Re: I Bet It's Better There...V2

I hope this wins, I REALLY want it as a shirt!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:Thank you!

I wish this design stood out in the crowd of entries better. Maybe the softer colors are working against it, although I think it would be nice & wearable if I do say so myself. -_^

You did nothing wrong, seriously. I would buy 3 of these!! I think it's just a tough derby. The theme can go many different ways. You can go comical or serious or cute. I think people tended to sway more serious this go round.

I hope you resub this to another venue if it doesn't pick up an HM. I want this. I will have it someday!!! -stamps foot like angry mule-

buu2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buu2
drshemptastic wrote:sweet. I would totally use this as my desktop background.

As others have said, I love the design, particularly as I'm organizing a Humans Vs Zombies tournament at Drexel University and this would be otterific. But the white square just looks sloppy.

spacezorro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacezorro
Re: Dark Side of the Moon

The "evil" moon looks to happy/cute and not "dark" enough

my .02

smirksy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smirksy
Re: Looks Like Jellyfish

What a fabulous concept! I like the chunkiness of the design as well. Well done.

smirksy

Re: Plutoid Payback

Ha! Similar ideas! Great minds think alike I guess. I love the idea of the slingshot, and I really like the detail work on the planets.

AcorNayho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AcorNayho
Re: Monsterskettie and Planetballs

Nom nom nom nom... eating this right up!

+1

Kuiosikle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kuiosikle
studio1172 wrote:Why in the holy HE Double Hockey Sticks has this design fallen out of the fog? This is one of the best in the derby!

Tell your friends, tell their friends! Social networking sites aren't for nuthin'

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

THANK YOU for all the great comments and support! And here it is again. Progress image time. This is for those of you that voted days ago but keep coming back because you fell in love with the wittle duck! ... who happens to be three stories tall.
---------------

While Drakxxx was busy telling me of his "I Bet It's Better There" design and drawing it up, I was trying to come up with some ideas for the derby too. (Turns out I had more ideas than I could finish) One of the things that crossed my mind was the duck and cover maneuver (in case of nuclear bomb, get under desk) I just thought, how great would it be to make that literal. A shirt that, WITH the title adds an extra bit of wit, but that doesn't need that connection in order to be amusing and/or ridiculous.

SO, like last week's "Lost Already" I tossed together a super rough sketch to get the idea across to Line Artist Drakxxx.

He laughed, he cried, he drew this rough draft and sent it to me.

I loved it. I only had a couple of edit suggestions. One being more destruction where the duck had been. Crumbling buildings etc. Aim the gun a little more towards the duck and an edit to the face but I told him I would deal with that. I just wanted him to flesh out the surroundings.

So this is the final linework. Well, pre-CrescentDebris edits.

I didn't use to do color concepts, but I've been doing them lately so that I can get an idea of my colors because 6 goes quick and when you're working with a lot of detail, its tough to make it work. AND, being a collab, I'd like to get Drakxxx's'sxx's opinion on it. This has been the only shirt that I've put on Olive. Its just never been my "go to" color. But I felt like it really helped with the dirty/war coloring but also (being greenish) goes well with the huge yellow ball of cuteness in the center.

In the pre-derby thread "BaldBob007" suggested that the left soldier look through binoculars or talk on the radio. I honestly hadn't taken notice that he was just sitting there. With the center soldier looking at him, the radio worked nicely. So thanks for that suggestion. You'll notice too that I changed the center guy's mouth. This was for one reason, and that is because when zoomed out (and likely if printed) the lines for the teeth and the edge of the mouth would all bulk together and just look like thick lips and the mouth would then appear toothless, OR (if colored a light color) like a huge set of teeth. So I just changed it like his teeth are clinched in fear and uncertainty.

Lastly was the duck that I told Drakxxx not to bother cleaning up because I'd take care of it. I wanted a smile on his face. Like a puppy that's knocking over and breaking valuables while wagging completely oblivious to the damage done. After that, I decided to clean the duck up both to make him a little more cartoony and too further the contrast of this gritty warzone and this adorable ball of mischief.

In the end, I think (and hope) we have a design that's fun but not stupid, cute but not sickening, and kick ass without being strictly guns and death. Then again, some of you might just think the title is amusing. Anyway, thanks as always. And if this doesn't print here, I'll find some place for it. I don't have to have every shirt I work on but I HAVE to have this one!

Note: If you reply to this, please only quote a small portion, like maybe the first paragraph. Thanks

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
beaterbar wrote:you are a t-shirt critic, not a promoter, right Adder?

Good critics are both. And anyone who actually knows anything about me knows I am both.

But the nature of what a critic is or isn't really doesn't make your example of some obscure picture a good example, nor equatable with this scenario. This is, again, two designs with the same subject matter, the same basic layout, on the same exact canvas. As I recall, the original design has made its way through voting at two of the biggest tee contests out there, and is by a designer who is multiprinted and multi-reprinted. Outside of the opinion of which is better (which I still haven't seen any educated one saying patricks fits there. "I like what I like" only counts in Apple Jacks), there is no question which came first and no question the dramatic similarities in content, style, etc.

There is, again, a BIG difference between 99 good to 1 bad and frequent bad. When someone who is so dramatically in the plus column flops, it's either not worth mentioning, or better to simply critique without damning. Again, I don't think the design you brought up has jack-all to do with this. But if it did, that would be the approach I took until it became a decided habit. First impressions are so important, really. If someone immediately blows you away with creative, skillful work, you tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone comes out of the gate with ok work but an entitled vibe and no sense of quality control, that's going to color every piece they create. And if someone is Patrickspens, in this case, they started with wholly non-shirt-appropriate art that, while well rendered, looked like warcraft sprites and belonged, therefore, nowhere but the warcraft store, and proceeded to deliver very mediocre and averagely executed designs from there on out. Any critic is going to be harder on a frequent failure than a frequent mastermind. Just as they will give a sarcastic pat on the back to an improved crap purveyor who, were they anyone else, would still have gotten panned even with that marked improvement.

scionofjubal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scionofjubal
Re: That's No Moon

I just don't think this derby could have been complete without a shirt like this. Thank you for filling that gap.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Looks Like Jellyfish

This brings up fond geeky nostalgia for The Dark Tower. ^_^

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

kendrajw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kendrajw
bluetuba wrote:No way, everybody knows the knock-knock joke, it's been around for generations. Lots and lots of people including myself have NO clue what this is referring to, thus the shirt makes no sense at all.

Not saying it wouldn't sell well with moms and teachers and whatnot, but it wouldn't come close to "knock knock"

Just saying, I have no clue what that knock-knock shirt is referring to, but I instantly recognized the very hungry caterpillar reference. Just sayin'.....

freiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freiz
Re: pandemonium

This reminds me a lot of this shirt at Threadless that's been in print for a while: http://www.threadless.com/product/178/Pandamonium

Stalfos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stalfos
scionofjubal wrote:I just don't think this derby could have been complete without a shirt like this. Thank you for filling that gap.

No problem, thanks for the comment.

smirksy

Thanks for adding the process. I'm kind of new to this whole process and I find it really helpful to see how other people do it, especially in so detailed a picture. It looks like a lot of hard work went into this one, and hopefully, it pays off for you.

cabinboy100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabinboy100
Re: Kiss your Namaste goodbye!

Spiritgreen wrote:Sorry to say there are already a lot of shirts available with this design.

Ack. I failed to pursue the due diligence.

Y'know... If you refresh this page enough, you may even see a frickin frackin ad for one of those shirts. Blerg. My frickin badd.

Still, this non-design definitely differs from the ones that I found here and here in that it would be reasonably priced. =)

(Nuts.)

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Invasion

AWESSSSSOOOOMMMMEEEE!!!

norbjunior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norbjunior
Re: The Last Embrace

So so nifty...really nicely imagined.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Also, the orange tape seems a tad out of place. Seems like a consistent color scheme throughout the entire piece, then bam... a bright orange to steal your eyes' focus. If there were smaller doses of orange dispersed throughout the image it may have been behooving.

Regardless, still aweesooommmeee and you still got my vote.

tascott02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tascott02
chumpmagic wrote:Also, the orange tape seems a tad out of place. Seems like a consistent color scheme throughout the entire piece, then bam... a bright orange to steal your eyes' focus. If there were smaller doses of orange dispersed throughout the image it may have been behooving.

Regardless, still aweesooommmeee and you still got my vote.

Yeah, I had originally designed it on charcoal but changed it to olive because the Woot grey seemed too dark for the lineart to read as clearly as I was wanting. On the neutral background all three cassettes stood out about the same. Something for me to keep in mind for the next graphic I do of giant tapes attacking a city.

Thanks for the comments and vote!

Azroix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Azroix

Like the Bruce Almighty reference. Well, at least in the title. otterific illustration. GMV!

imsochady

quality posts: 25 Private Messages imsochady

Looks bastardly otterific! Might be too late to garner votes.

smirksy

Ha! The Analog Strikes Back!

I only wish somehow that they were destroying a store with an apple on it. Very creative design

tascott02

imsochady wrote:Looks bastardly otterific! Might be too late to garner votes.

Crazy part is that I had the art done on Friday but things came up and I didn't get a chance to post till tonight.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007

The line art is great, and I don't really mind the orange tape. However, I think some additional color would be beneficial. Unfortunately, the text is grounds for rejection.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Back in the day I worked in a music store that sold cassettes and 8-tracks as well. One reason Pink Floyd sold so many damn copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" was that the vinyl warped or got scratched, the cassettes broke, or the 8-tracks spooled out like the cassettes on this picture.

Alas, the "One Way" sign is gonna getcha.

tascott02

BaldBob007 wrote:The line art is great, and I don't really mind the orange tape. However, I think some additional color would be beneficial. Unfortunately, the text is grounds for rejection.

The text isn't part of the design. Notice that it is not on the tee for placement. That's just my fancy-shmancy title.