ekeller6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekeller6

thinks this shirt and the thinking behind it are long overdue..thank you

drakethegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakethegreat
AdderXYU wrote:I'm fairly sure that airplanes and 9/11 are not mutually attached. Since the pencil is #11, and not #911, you all are just being easily-offended nitwits.

I agree that it's just a coincidence but a shirt with pictures is a broadcast to the world when you wear it and I wouldn't want people asking what's with the #11 being all 9/11 like. Obviously given the comments here someone will ask you that when walking down the street and it makes it a not so amusing shirt.

professore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages professore
drakethegreat wrote:I agree that it's just a coincidence but a shirt with pictures is a broadcast to the world when you wear it and I wouldn't want people asking what's with the #11 being all 9/11 like. Obviously given the comments here someone will ask you that when walking down the street and it makes it a not so amusing shirt.

Yes, this makes complete sense! That is going to be the initial reaction of every person who sees this in passing walking down the street!

I had just gotten calmed down from my anger over Nathan's blatant 9/11 references when it struck me that #6 is an umbrella. Georgi Ivanov Markov (whose first, middle and last names all have 6 letters) was killed by being pricked with a specially-modified umbrella containing a pellet with the poison ricin. This insensitivity caused me to rage so hard I almost didn't remember that he died on...

...wait for it...

...September 11, 1978!

woot!, I am disappoint.

*not a real professor...

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm

Anybody stop to think that maybe the reason he made #11 an airplane is because #1 is a paper airplane, thus 11 would be the "upgraded" version? And, that the reason the airplane is pointed down is that the paper airplane is pointed down?

I see no ill intent by the designer and believe most people would not make the connection.

>insert funny quote here<

Manalith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Manalith

And here I was thinking the numbers referred to the hardness of the lead. I have been grievously misinformed.

sidmystic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sidmystic
staffell wrote:This.

I think it's both baffling and hilarious people are making this assumption. Stop being so over-sensitive.

Fine, you buy one and wear it in public. Best wishes.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725
CaptainWes wrote:I figured Number 9 would be in the shape of John Lennon.

Or a beer bottle. (Hellooooo, Magic Hat???)

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

Dinahsaur09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dinahsaur09
GravitaZ wrote:Werd, I was just going to say this. The pencil number system is based on the lead grades of hardness and softness. Dumb shirt.

I don't mean to blow your mind or anything, but I'm pretty sure the designer was making a joke that didn't necessarily rely on literal facts.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
llandar wrote:*marks in his journal, "Today I agreed with Adder."*

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna have to go rethink a few basic principles.

one, that your usauly wrong? =P

NitsuaKun

quality posts: 49 Private Messages NitsuaKun

Sorry, all this 9/11 stuff doesn't really work, unless #9 was a pair of tall buildings. (Unless you people are gonna find a minor correlation between Nessie and 9/11)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary and those who can't.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Score! Wootoff-sale + Discount coupon = $7 shirt WIN!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
OblivionAngel wrote:No. 3 looks like it could actually be a very useful tool for a carpenter!

#3 actually exists ... kind of. My mother used to work for an auction company when I was a kid, and I used to borrow/steal the gavel-pencils they had there.

Very similar to these:

http://supremecourtgifts.org/pencil-gavelheaded.aspx

As for all the paranoid 9/11 jackassery ... congrats in advance on the extreme likelihood of being the "most discussed" shirt this week!

Smullik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smullik
bigtd422 wrote:Number Eleven is a plane. Hmmm, not sure if I like the 9/11 reference.

Really? perhaps we should get rid of 9:11 on our digital clocks as well.

jebalaya

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jebalaya
AlexIAm wrote:Anybody stop to think that maybe the reason he made #11 an airplane is because #1 is a paper airplane, thus 11 would be the "upgraded" version? And, that the reason the airplane is pointed down is that the paper airplane is pointed down?

I see no ill intent by the designer and believe most people would not make the connection.

i think the reason they are all pointed down is because that is the angle we generally hold pencils and pens when writing. that part of it is probably not intentional. your equating 11 to 1 might have some credence, but it is so far a leap you might be the only person here who thought that. i certainly didn't.

im sure if the 'coincidence' had placed the plane at #7 or #12 or any other # this discussion wouldn't be had. makes it a very unfortunate coincidence, imo.

and #9 should be a love potion pencil.

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

Why are there so many harshing my mellow shirts making it onto shirt.woot lately? I've seen so many better designs in other derbies that could have been shirts.

rishard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rishard

Pencil Schmencil
So, to amend an old saying...
"Don't bring a #10 Pencil to a gun fight!"
And, can you guess which pencil gives me "Anchor Issues?"

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

Why is the word l+ame disallowed? Go go gadget corporate oppression of freedom of speech.

professore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages professore
sidmystic wrote:Fine, you buy one and wear it in public. Best wishes.

You seriously think that something bad will happen to the wearer of this shirt? Besides which, David lives in the UK.

*not a real professor...

Snake66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snake66

[quote postid="4090698" user="paappraiser"]I never got the 9/11 thought looking at it.

until

I read it on the posts.

I have to say,

I don't think of 9/11 every day.

If someone comes up to you and says " hey that's a offensive shirt"

Ill be really surprised.

Pick your battles.

We have other things to worry about.

That should be the only thing you worry about . NEVER FORGET !!

jebalaya

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jebalaya
professore wrote:You seriously think that something bad will happen to the wearer of this shirt? Besides which, David lives in the UK.

'bad' prolly means some kind of confrontation, maybe a remark or some kind of offense. i don't wear t-shirts to spark any. some people do. to each their own.

angelrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angelrn
strawberryicee wrote:more like loch ness monster?

Awww, I wish I could have a little Nessie shirt!!! So sad that I missed out on that one.

Angel*Fish

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jebalaya wrote:'bad' prolly means some kind of confrontation, maybe a remark or some kind of offense. i don't wear t-shirts to spark any. some people do. to each their own.

If anyone was so blitheringly spoonic as to say "your shirt is offensive" to this shirt, I'd like to think the wearer would DESIRE an altercation. Such people don't deserve to not be bleeding.

angelrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angelrn
rabdpnguin wrote:What about in 2001 when police constable Karl Bluestone killed his three year-old son with a claw hammer. #3 - Claw Hammer. Or on 1/1/1979 a 747 crashed over India killing 213 people. #1 - Airplane. Don't even get me started on #10 and #11.

Whoever made this shirt is obviously try to send us subliminal messages to kill each other or something. I disapprove.

LOL! I like that you made me laugh!
Personally, I like the shirt. And I like that the guy's from Kettering. The Dayton, OH, area doesn't really strike me as a haven for creative types. But there is an amazing shady Mexican restaurant on 3rd (Taqueria Mixteca, yum!), for any others trapped in the midwest.

Angel*Fish

chandari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chandari

I just /had/ to have this shirt. Being in college, working on my Teaching Certification, this has a huge appeal to me. I plan on wearing it to my classes. The teachers will get a kick out of it I think.

Eltinwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eltinwe

I have a bunch of 7Bs in my drawer. I wish they had battle axe erasers!

cmangel518

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmangel518

I love this shirt! Well done Nathan! If woot shirts fit me better, I'd be in for one!

I'm kinda suprised after reading the posts...it sounds like some people have become way too adult! When we were young and before we thought we knew it all, the running joke back in the school day was about the #2 pencil...we all wanted to know what happened to the #1 pencil. Now it just seems like we've lost a bit of childhood and forgot how to NOT overthink it and how to giggle at the little things in life.

I've lost track of all of useless/useful items I've purchased since April 09, 2007.

orangesrhyme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orangesrhyme

Be sure to never, ever use a no. 6 pencil indoors.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Thanks all!
And all the 937 love especially makes me smile.

Thanks to Laughing Squid and Gizmodo and Holy Kaw for the otterific plugs too..

tech42er

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tech42er
nathanwpyle wrote:I'd not lose sleep over it. The design has been passed around the internet thousands of times for the past 8 months and not once has that hesitation come up until today.
(example - The Daily What

FWIW, I live in Manhattan. TriBeCa.

Isn't it interesting how the people most obsessed with 9/11 (whether it be Newt Gingrich or the posters in this thread who attribute ulterior motives to your innocent pencil designs) tend to be those who live outside the city?

billratio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billratio
NitsuaKun wrote:Sorry, all this 9/11 stuff doesn't really work, unless #9 was a pair of tall buildings. (Unless you people are gonna find a minor correlation between Nessie and 9/11)

I don't know if it is a reference or not but I just need to say that I am surprised by how many spoons on woot think it is being called a reference because of the 11 in 9/11. Do they not know it was flight #11? I'd especially expect better from adder! How stupid are people? When you are going to act like you know something you should probably know something.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

Check out the Farting in the USA song parody and others!
http://www.youtube.com/user/thepetersonbros

AndeeD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndeeD

Of course my child saw this shirt on his friend yesterday. Too late for me to buy it in the Reckoning. Don't suppose you'd bring it back to make a small boy happy?

owenregularguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages owenregularguy

I think i need to introduce #9 to this one kid...watch out Clay...I'm coming