studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

I am really surprised that this won. I will be interested in seeing how the voting compares to the selling.

It would be interesting if when someone votes on a shirt that it becomes a legal bond that you will buy it if it prints. Maybe make it so that your credit/debit/PayPal number is attached to your vote. That would really change the voting records in these derbies. I know I would change how I vote.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict

The first time I looked at it I thought it was some sort of insect with long white antennae and orange wings.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Mvpboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mvpboy

Must say... very nice work. Too bad there is no1 to thank.

"Live life abundantly."

Westlyftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Westlyftw

I'm absolutely astounded that this took 1st place. No offense to the artist, but this design is really lacking compared to the rest of the excellent work in the top 9. The graphic just looks sloppy, rushed, and very amateurish.

Congratulations just the same, but even given the typical voter's tastes, I'm not certain how this made it's way not only to the top, but 1st place.

lexaverial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial

Hmm, came expecting Drakxxx, leaving disappointed. Will come back at midnight to see what prints next. Fingers crossed.

Also, grats on your first print. Not my style, but hey, grats nonetheless.

spiffy926

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiffy926

most badass shirt i've ever laid eyes on, bought!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

As someone hoping to print one day I am happy for anyone and no1 who has opportunity to be in that situation. It's very interesting to hear how so many people misinterpret the design, which is essentially simple. Considering the concepts and polished presentation of a number of other designs, this winning the derby was as surprising as a punch in the eye from a panda. The other more pleasant hit was the cool Howard Jones reference in the bio. I can now be seen rampaging through a city sporting two black eyes.

animatedbox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages animatedbox

Oh no, it's headed for the Pandama Canal!

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090

Really drawn to this design, it's cute, and funny. In for one!

I haven't bought a t-shirt since Donut-panic, and I have a 5-dollar-off coupon. Can't beat that!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
studio1172 wrote:I am really surprised that this won. I will be interested in seeing how the voting compares to the selling.

It would be interesting if when someone votes on a shirt that it becomes a legal bond that you will buy it if it prints. Maybe make it so that your credit/debit/PayPal number is attached to your vote. That would really change the voting records in these derbies. I know I would change how I vote.

Votes would dwindle massively.

Cameesa is just about to shut down. Their entire premise was "put money down, and when enough people do, this shirt is GUARANTEED to print". In derby standards, only 50 votes would be needed. Yet it couldn't stay afloat and only rarely printed any new tees, even when supports cost only $10. Most people will NOT allow the access of their funds for a non-guaranteed print. And these were only not guaranteed if less than 50 people wanted the shirt, over the course of months. A woot tee would be not guaranteed for over 97% of the entries, every week. why would people bother voting for all their favorites, or any at all?

I've said a million times, also, that you can't just lock people into their votes. Let's say I want three shirts, but can only afford one of them. Do I have to choose only one to vote for? Because if all three win, I am locked into buying all three. There are any number of reasons this will not and could not work. People should not have to have their money in limbo with no guarantee that it will ever buy them something, and people should not feel forced to spend more than they can afford. If you want 20 of the tees in a derby, you shouldn't have to put money down on all of them.

Multiple accounts are the real issue. Almost everyone at EBW has multi accounts (almost everybody at woot in general does too). I would guarantee there are plenty of votes unattached to sales because people think their kids accounts (why do kids even have accounts) should count for a vote. Then again, it is a panda and unattractive. That is enough for wooters to buy. But the problem with multis is, it is always possible they are attached to real people. Woot cannot judge that.

So the only fair way to alter the derby is to make votes not be the only thing that counts. We KNOW multi-accounts exist. It's easy to do. It's proven to exist. And if we have any concept of finances, we know that we can't force people to buy things. It's unethical in its own way, and will make people unwilling to vote. So the only thing woot can do to change things is to make those multiple accounts and votes-without-intent-to-buy mean nothing by ceasing allowing votes to be the only factor.

shilisa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shilisa

I think it's cute and funny. Maybe it's because I live in Seattle and the thought of a giant panda squashing the Space Needle just makes me laugh. I wonder if more girls than guys are buying this because of the panda. My first shirt purchase from shirt.woot!

kateface2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kateface2
lordjefe wrote:not to rain on anyone's parade but, this seems dangerously close to idea plagiarism.

http://www.threadless.com/product/178/Pandamonium

granted the design is different, but the title and theme, same. i mean that shirt's been on threadless.com for well over 6 years!
how did nobody notice?

I thought it was only plagiarism if the design was the same? The threadless.com "version" (if you want to call it that) has a panda swatting at tanks and helicoptors and all sorts of military transportation. This one is a panda stepping over various landmarks in major U.S. cities--seems an entirely different theme to me...

Also, the titles are spelled differently--usually considered a great way to avoid accusations of plagiarism...

But, I could be wrong

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
AdderXYU wrote:Votes would dwindle massively.

Cameesa is just about to shut down. Their entire premise was "put money down, and when enough people do, this shirt is GUARANTEED to print". In derby standards, only 50 votes would be needed. Yet it couldn't stay afloat and only rarely printed any new tees, even when supports cost only $10. Most people will NOT allow the access of their funds for a non-guaranteed print. And these were only not guaranteed if less than 50 people wanted the shirt, over the course of months. A woot tee would be not guaranteed for over 97% of the entries, every week. why would people bother voting for all their favorites, or any at all?

I've said a million times, also, that you can't just lock people into their votes. Let's say I want three shirts, but can only afford one of them. Do I have to choose only one to vote for? Because if all three win, I am locked into buying all three. There are any number of reasons this will not and could not work. People should not have to have their money in limbo with no guarantee that it will ever buy them something, and people should not feel forced to spend more than they can afford. If you want 20 of the tees in a derby, you shouldn't have to put money down on all of them.

Multiple accounts are the real issue. Almost everyone at EBW has multi accounts (almost everybody at woot in general does too). I would guarantee there are plenty of votes unattached to sales because people think their kids accounts (why do kids even have accounts) should count for a vote. Then again, it is a panda and unattractive. That is enough for wooters to buy. But the problem with multis is, it is always possible they are attached to real people. Woot cannot judge that.

So the only fair way to alter the derby is to make votes not be the only thing that counts. We KNOW multi-accounts exist. It's easy to do. It's proven to exist. And if we have any concept of finances, we know that we can't force people to buy things. It's unethical in its own way, and will make people unwilling to vote. So the only thing woot can do to change things is to make those multiple accounts and votes-without-intent-to-buy mean nothing by ceasing allowing votes to be the only factor.

that would call for woot to do work. and thats not gonna happen.why do/would they care what won as long as it brought in money. they got a good thing here. pepole put up mario/the turtles in some fashion. and everyone wants it. Cha Ching. boring, but the way it works.I think I've voted for one or two shirts in the past month.and dailies are a joke.

bugzappers2112

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bugzappers2112

Jesus all the negativity. Shut up and do better if you can. I doubt it. In for 3.

If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. But don't nitpick it. It won. A baby says WAHHHH!.

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

AugustePDX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AugustePDX
bugzappers2112 wrote:A baby says WAHHHH!.

I agree with you, and I also want that phrase on a t-shirt.

bugzappers2112

bugzappers2112 wrote:Jesus all the negativity. Shut up and do better if you can. I doubt it. In for 3.

If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. But don't nitpick it. It won. A baby says WAHHHH!.

Oh, BTW.... I bet this stays in the RECKONING FOR A WHILE.... It WILL sell.

You can Woot! if you want to, you can leave Amazon behind, because if you don't buy the Woot! from the real Woot!, then you're, no friend of mine. Say we can Woot!, we can Woot!, they're doing it from home to home.

bugzappers2112

AugustePDX wrote:I agree with you, and I also want that phrase on a t-shirt.

Darn, I gave away my first shirt design.... fudge,,,,,

bugzappers2112

You know, the more I look at this shirt....

This is the new Nevermore or Binge...

This shirt is freekin GREAT!!!

The kids are going to LOVE this to death....

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

Great concept. Can't wait to see the finished version.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

One of the best graphic designs I've seen around here in months. All the naysayers are clueless.

ciarlar

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ciarlar
CrescentDebris wrote:Great concept. Can't wait to see the finished version.

/winsthread

also, I wish that more people would read the descriptions. then maybe we wouldn't have a recurrence of people thinking that the city on the shirt is seattle.

also, best description I've read in awhile.

Katrak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Katrak
bassanimation wrote:I read somewhere that pandas aren't actually bears, but are more like raccoons. Freaky.

Your information source fails you. Pandas and all bears are ursids. Raccoons are procyonids.

NewbCake22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NewbCake22

Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say? If so many of you hate the shirt so much, then don't buy it. It's as simple as that. Also, were you people ever taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I think that this shirt is adorable! I love Pandas. ^_^ You got the number one spot for a reason. People voted and you won. Congrats!

eme308

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eme308
Twowoot wrote:Pandamonium as a concept of pandas creating mayhem predates the world wide web. Heck, there was even a cartoon in the early 80s called Pandamonium about some pandas that kicked ... things. That Threadless shirt was hardly a completely original idea, but it was a success because it was cute.

To say this artist ripped off the idea of the artist of that Threadless offering is nonsense. And in case I'm not being clear enough in my support of an artist being unfairly attacked, I'll reiterate: The accusations are complete and utter ignorant nonsense. While it is certainly possible that he stumbled across that design and then thought of this one, the much more likely scenario is they both independently got their ideas simply from the word usage already being in the public conscious.

Although this shirt was not my favorite of the Derby, I personally think it is without question, the better design. The comment about the city skyline not being visible from afar is valid, but not of major concern in my view. Plenty of shirts have aspects not visible if you aren't say, in the same room as the wearer or some crazy close proximity like that. The other Pandamonium shirt for example -- I can barely make out that the helicopters are carrying bombs with my head one foot from the screen, from five feet that is going to look like a panda throwing dirt.

Who the heck downgrades a shirt because they wouldn't be able to make out the design from across the street? I think the majority of t-shirts sold have designs that begin to diminish after moving beyond five feet.

Very well said. I don't know why everyone is so mean on here.

bugzappers2112

too many pc and opinionated crybabies who think this is for a million dollars and can't have fun with someone else winning.

Seriously, you complainers need to really go out and get a life. this shirt is fun,,, woot is fun... the whole shirt woot derby is fun.. take your lightning bolt of unhappy and goldfish, and cram it up your a--.....

I like woot and I like this shirt. Both are fun to me. Coming and seeing what is new and happening is fun as well. You take your sour grapes cause your voted shirt didn't win... WAHHHH!

modestio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modestio

Honestly woot is still fun, but I am getting sick with all that cute and hugging lovely style in all the derbys. I mean it's a end of the world topic and and the winner is a huge city destroying Panda?!? could have been more in that derby...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Congratulations No1 on being the derby champ with a fun design that's clearly making a lot of people happy!

Fun: a perfectly valid reason to buy a t-shirt. :^)

Izone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Izone

People are mean because originally shirts here had artistic flare and merit appealing to a more adult crowd. Now winning designs are cute things the majority of people who made this site what it is, the ones who designed and bought the cool artsy shirts, are being completely shunned. It is sad to see the cool designs go down the hole in reckonings and derbys, the ones that built this site, because people want a threadless/thinkgeek 2.0 with shirts like this and video game gimmicks.

Radien

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Radien

I must say, I like the backlit effect using only white, black, and the natural grey color of the shirt. Effective use of limited colors.

staffell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages staffell

Hmm, I'm not a massive fan of this. Looks unfinished to me.

No advertising, pls.

MJDeViant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MJDeViant

Best design I've seen on here in quite awhile....and I have no funds. I actually have $0.78 in my bank account and owe $400 in rent for August.....I kind of wish a Giant Panda would come crush Columbus, especially my apartment. Give me 3 weeks when I have a few extra hundred from my new job and I am purchasing.

Let the boring call you crazy.
Let the crazy call you boring.

Darthshep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Darthshep
modestio wrote:Honestly woot is still fun, but I am getting sick with all that cute and hugging lovely style in all the derbys. I mean it's a end of the world topic and and the winner is a huge city destroying Panda?!? could have been more in that derby...

Thank you!!!

MJDeViant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MJDeViant
modestio wrote:Honestly woot is still fun, but I am getting sick with all that cute and hugging lovely style in all the derbys. I mean it's a end of the world topic and and the winner is a huge city destroying Panda?!? could have been more in that derby...

I agree. When I say best design in awhile I mean out of that kind of sub-group. All the shirts on here seem to be of some cuddly animal or by pretty much the same people. That's fine BUT it starts to feel real stagnant. Its starts feeling like deja-vu here. Take category, insert a likable animal, repeat. There are a few different designs that make it obviously without the help of animals but they tend to be by like 4 different artists so it feels like repeats as well. AND THEN, when these shirts keep winning people will keep making it so there are more and more designs that aim for the same thing. It's not always bad but it just....I don't know. I guess I'm just not surprised by any winners anymore.

Doesn't help that none of my rushed submissions ever get picked, haha.

Let the boring call you crazy.
Let the crazy call you boring.

Twowoot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Twowoot
inod3 wrote:I think it would be kinda cool if instead of voting like you do now, you placed an order to buy the shirt. If your shirt wins the order is processed and you get the shirt. This would turn the shirt that wins the vote the same shirt people want to wear.

AdderXYU already said most of what I was going to say, particularly his/her first two paragraphs which I completely agree with.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that I don't need 52 new t-shirts each year, but I'd still like to vote each week on what I think are the best designs. I assume that my tastes are similar to a large segment of the populace so my votes are supporting a design that people like me would want to buy...and enough of my dopplegangers would buy it to be worthwhile even though not all of us would.

Our votes are vaguely like Nielsen ratings for TV. We represent a segment of the buying public with our opinions.

Voting isn't the best system, but it is fun and draws people in to the website, which is woot's aim of course.

I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more pong! (What Christopher Walken should have said in Balls of Fury.)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:But it does make it first.

Toss something out there. Give a reason this has any value. Talk about the artwork, not the fact that you want one. What is it about this design that makes it better? I see worse execution, poor color choices (it will never be visible), incredibly questionable decisions (no color in the head?), and nothing which stands out. The other design isn't exactly exciting either, but this has nothing extra to recommend it, plenty of flaws, and was done years after a tee that no one in the shirt biz shouldn't be 100% aware of. Is it a rip-off? Arguable. But it's not original and definitely similar to another very classic, very well known tee, and I don't see any superior design choices made to justify this one existing.

oh for Pete's sake. The other design is all about a freakin' BATTLE between that giant monster and a goddam army. and that one is just a kinda big panda.

This one is about apocalypse. This panda is NOT being resisted. There are no F-18s, F-22s, no helicopters like in King Kong, none of that stuff. This is a huge force of nature that can't be resisted. This is hurricane katrina in black and white fur. and, dark grey. It isn't about a war with the giant beast, it's just rolling over the city.

and this dude is BIG. It'd take five or six of those other beasts to come close to matching the size of this dude.

I'm embarrassed for you people. and really, really pleased for no1! way to smash the competition!

Hectic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hectic
Akashhhhh wrote:Honestly, this entire derby could've been much better...especially given the topic.

Agreed! I was expecting more zombie themes. Oh well. I'll say congrats to the artist, but this won 1st place?! This one?! REALLY?! MAYBE I could see it winning 3rd, but 1st?! I, I, just can't believe it! I shant believe it! ("Shant" isn't even a word is it?)

slyphox

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slyphox

For a minute there it looked like the blotches were two men fighting. Does this mean I'm actually a genius? #RorschachTest #ToldYouSo

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
— Jeremy Clarkson

Twowoot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Twowoot
eme308 wrote:Very well said. I don't know why everyone is so mean on here.

Agreed.

And thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone would even read it.

I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more pong! (What Christopher Walken should have said in Balls of Fury.)

JoeDeth

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeDeth

Another sad reminder from my childhood of TV executives not giving children credit for being smart enough to like and want "serial" cartoons, especially ones with an ending.

Oh Pandamonium, we hardly knew thee.

kushalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kushalm

I really like the design but I do feel it's lacking. Just sort of looks incomplete though but what the hey! Good on you no1, i guess you know what most wooters want. Just one question - Did you make this on MS paint?