+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sometimes in life when you want answers, you've got to find them yourself. Almost every idiot knows you can't just cite Wikipedia, so sometimes you've got to get your hands dirty with a little scientific experimentation to get your explanation. This week, show us your take on the Scientific Method. Maybe you'll attest to the value of repeatable results, show us an experiment in motion, or just cram a beaker onto a cute fuzzy animal design and say, "IT'S TOTALLY SCIENCE!" Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not "borrowing" copyrighted works or trademarked characters, so here are yours:

No text. You can use numbers and mathematic equations.

No video games.

No Star Wars.

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik

Interesting. Not even sure where to begin. Maybe I'll read up on this new fangled Scientific Method.

No. Yes.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Aw, man, why'd they have to go and say this: "or just cram a beaker cute fuzzy animal design".

EDIT:
So here's my idea of Galileo's classic gravity experiment of dropping two different sized balls from the tower of Pisa. Titled "Galileo has Cojones".

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

As a first year biology grad student I feel almost obligated to enter this derby. Unfortunately, as a first year biology grad student I have absolutely no time to work on a design.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
sTyLeS wrote:Aw, man, why'd they have to go and say this: "or just cram a beaker cute fuzzy animal design".

My first thought.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Theoretically, this could be a fun derby.

My hypothesis, though, is that it will suck.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Woohoo!

Thanks, woot!

sTyLeS

Johndis5 wrote:My first thought.

Probably because they knew it would happen anyway, and to sort of simmer down the bickering some, they gave it the full go ahead.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I assume that we can use text in equations...

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

Wow, this is gonna make me actually THINK. *warms up brain*

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Josephus wrote:Theoretically, this could be a fun derby.

My hypothesis, though, is that it will suck.

Hmmm. We shall test that hypothesis! Again.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13

back when i was a young lad we had an old crappy television and when the screen would get all crappy my dad would walk up, smack the bejesus out of the tv until the screen got its mind right, and then walk back to the couch saying "scientific method never fails."

i still laugh to this day when the dish goes berzerk during storms.

Happy Beer.

paigeg

Wootbot sayeth: Almost every inattentive armadillo knows you can't just cite Wikipedia.

Yeah, well how come none of them are my inattentive armadillo undergrads?

/edit: Nofair, WootBot! You get to say i.diot, and get the frickin' armadillo!

mrsdowning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsdowning

Yea! I can't wait to see what you all come up with. I think you're all amazing artists! This topic is great, if only I knew how to do it. I'm just a buyer:-) hehe

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Science!

Oh man I going to bring the lulz if I get time to do one. Got a good idea, just need time.

technicolorpie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technicolorpie

I promise not to take the cute, fuzzy path of least resistance.

... not this derby anyway. I am only human, after all.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Good heavens Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01

No completely random rule from a completely random staffer?

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
sTyLeS wrote:Aw, man, why'd they have to go and say this: "or just cram a beaker cute fuzzy animal design".

Because its Woot... :P

colesargent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colesargent
Johndis5 wrote:My first thought.

Haha, mine too.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan

"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not "borrowing" copyrighted works or trademarked characters..."

Ha ha! Gee, what's THAT a reference to?

sogj

profbrendan wrote:"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not "borrowing" copyrighted works or trademarked characters..."

LOL

I love how Woot is almost completely silent except these tiny little jabs to let us know they're up there listening somewhere. ;)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
profbrendan wrote:"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not "borrowing" copyrighted works or trademarked characters..."

Heh...

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

So make sure if you use copyrighted works or characters, use a LOT of them! Okay maybe not. Unless they're YOUR copyrighted works or characters. Tom Lehrer's Take

frik

Almost done with that exact sketch.

No. Yes.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle

Wow... They dragged Ramy into the woodshed on that one....

Ha ha!! Good on ya!

darianwiccan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darianwiccan

I wish to formally challenge the rule about "No Text" when the first step of the Scientific Method is to ask a question, which normally requires text.

frik

So,here's my sketch, first thing that came right to mind with this...

I think I need to make the head a little smaller, eyes bigger, and mouth/snout smaller and a little more sad, and not so angry.

on second thought, I may have to put him on all four legs with the full beaker in front of him next to the broken one. and make him even more cute.

No. Yes.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

wow, I love anything science.except cute fuzy animals.

Just got an Idea.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Hm. It might just be me, but it seems like ilovedoodle's solar system would be a rather good fit for this derby in some ways. Fingers crossed!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Here's the first idea that came to mind:

It's really rough, but I'm thinking a flow chart is one of the better ways of showing the scientific method.

paigeg

frik wrote:So,here's my sketch, first thing that came right to mind with this...

I think I need to make the head a little smaller, eyes bigger, and mouth/snout smaller and a little more sad, and not so angry.

on second thought, I may have to put him on all four legs with the full beaker in front of him next to the broken one. and make him even more cute.

Looks like you have a good start. Lol! I'm not sure Woot will enjoy being so directly tweaked, but go for it! As long as you have the time, it's worth the lulz.

sogj

paigeg wrote:Looks like you have a good start. Lol! I'm not sure Woot will enjoy being so directly tweaked, but go for it! As long as you have the time, it's worth the lulz.

I was gonna do it, but I guess I'll leave that to the professionals. I'm gonna LMAO when it takes 1st. ;)

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
frik wrote:So,here's my sketch, first thing that came right to mind with this...

If you do it, call it "IT'S TOTALLY SCIENCE"

ravenhaired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravenhaired

Physics derby didn't thrill me... Let's do geeky awesomely this week!

sogj

Darquis wrote:If you do it, call it "IT'S TOTALLY SCIENCE"

YES! ftw

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I think I'm going to sit this one out, unless I can figure out how to shoehorn some tacos into this theme.

paigeg

That design, that name - already in for one!

frik

Thank you, the name/title is now taken care of.

must, make him cuter.

No. Yes.

sTyLeS

I think my idea is going to be fairly simplistic, and hopefully I can convey it ok.
I'm thinking of just the classic Galileo gravity experiment of two balls dropped from the tower of Pisa.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
odysseyroc wrote:I think I'm going to sit this one out, unless I can figure out how to shoehorn some tacos into this theme.

shoehorn + tacos + beaker = science