+ Add a Comment

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
endangeredomega wrote:This seems a likely candidate for rejection? During the Physics derby, any reference whatsoever to Schrodinger's Cat was off-limits, thanks to the "similar shirts exist" stipulation.

This is true, and it irritated the heck out of me - it was such an inconsistent use of "already exists". Good luck staying in!

Darquis

joshuajmasters wrote:Thanks, I tried it on black... but it didn't look right.

Give olive a try?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

This could also be called - How to make the world's geekiest thing even more geeky!

Maximum geekitude. Love it. ^_^

Zarfus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
Darquis wrote:Well done is subjective but I don't care to argue it.

It's not "hating" when an entry is off topic (I feel like this one is, but I'm not anyone who decides that), it's breaking the rules.

I'll admit, I kind of liked it on the front page, but I also thought "yknow, that's pretty off topic unless they have a good explanation" and had a feeling I knew who the artist was. I was right on both counts.

If this were some sort of science or biology derby straight up, I'd probably vote for this design. It's not, so I won't.

I'll be honest, I don't even like this shirt. I like his lab rat one (perhaps getting even more flame...). But people only complain about off topic about ramy.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=45624
I don't think this is anymore ON topic...(nothing against Walmazan...his designs are wonderful)

It just seems like people whine too much about ramy's stuff--it gets annoying. I felt like chiming in this week to support him a little, especially because it feels like nobody else does.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Zarfus wrote:I'll be honest, I don't even like this shirt. I like his lab rat one (perhaps getting even more flame...). But people only complain about off topic about ramy.

I don't think this is anymore ON topic...(nothing against Walmazan...his designs are wonderful)

It just seems like people whine too much about ramy's stuff--it gets annoying. I felt like chiming in this week to support him a little, especially because it feels like nobody else does.

Darquis wrote:Oh wow, this is most excellently done. But how do you think it demonstrates the scientific method?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Darquis

aaporyes wrote:I like the concept of the shirt, but have an issue with execution. Her face doesn't look symmetrical to me.

I forget if it's asymmetry or symmetry that's supposed to be the more attractive. Based on this design, I'd guess asymmetry?

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

I want to wear this shirt the next time I explore a dungeon. Why aren't you in the fog?!

BaldBob007

Re: Extreme Makeover

I love the characters! The texturing is great, too.

Darquis

Zarfus wrote:I'll be honest, I don't even like this shirt. I like his lab rat one (perhaps getting even more flame...). But people only complain about off topic about ramy.

Haha I just went and commented on his design (and Patrickspens and a couple others) that were glaringly off topic (of the ones that I went to look at - I certainly didn't look at all of them). People said they're frustrated when Ramy (or other artists) get singled out, so I'm trying to be consistent in my "how does this fit the topic"

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
viciousspike wrote:I like it...but I have to admit it seems a bit homorobotic. GMV anyway.

"He's fully functional and anatomically correct!"

Spiritgreen

JesseBYAH wrote:WHAT?!?! Holy crapola spirit, lets go camping. Like nowish.

Ha. ^_^ Well it's camping time of year now, isn't it?

Don't feel sorry for me, it's just one of those things you don't do unless you live in America. I've spent a lot of summers in the states, but never been camping and made s'mores. The closest would be a S'mores Pop Tart.

Okay, maybe feel a bit sorry for me.

Zarfus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
Darquis wrote:Haha I just went and commented on his design (and Patrickspens and a couple others) that were glaringly off topic (of the ones that I went to look at - I certainly didn't look at all of them). People said they're frustrated when Ramy (or other artists) get singled out, so I'm trying to be consistent in my "how does this fit the topic"

Nice ;)

BaldBob007

Re: Chemistry

This design is just fantastic. Like most everyone else, I agree the reflection is ridiculously amazing!!! Make sure to get a resub up quick if you are doing one! ;)

Spiritgreen

Re: What Is and What Should Never Be

Nope, hasn't been done before! (I know because I researched it a few months ago, when I was trying a 'slightly' misguided design that never made it as far as the derby ^_^')

Great execution!

Darquis

My ideal view still stands at: 1st is 1st, 2nd is a woot select from the fog, 3rd is a woot select that could be from anywhere in the derby, fog or otherwise.

Up until the last round of Editor's Choice, I thought this idea had a lot of merit. Since that one came through, I'm less likely to agree: Woot seemed to go in favor of what would sell better rather than diversity. That, or they really love "kawaii"

cbuebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbuebe

Been there, see that everyday in class, would buy the shirt. I love this!

Darquis

Hahahaha this one's great. I can't see myself wearing it, but it's definitely a clever design

wulfepup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wulfepup
Darquis wrote:I forget if it's asymmetry or symmetry that's supposed to be the more attractive. Based on this design, I'd guess asymmetry?

Asymmetry is more attractive because it's more real. No one has a symmetrical face in the real world and when we see it in art our minds find that it looks bizarre or alien.

I really like this design. But, for myself, it more sense as a poster than a t-shirt. Hopefully enough people disagree with me. Good Luck!

BaldBob007

Darquis wrote:I forget if it's asymmetry or symmetry that's supposed to be the more attractive. Based on this design, I'd guess asymmetry?

I believe that the concept states that symmetry is more attractive, but this design (I think) is focusing more on the proportions. I think they are well-displayed here, and this is a very nice drawing.

BaldBob007

Re: science party!

The color palette is really good, and the concept is funny.

Darquis

clarinerd wrote:I think there's a bit more to it than just drawing a cat and getting votes. I could draw a cat and a cheeseburger and get relatively few votes because I am not a great artist. While this shirt only has two colors, there is a certain style to it which makes it worth voting for--and I'm not a cat lover, per se. All that being said, I know there must be a certain contingent of woot voters that only vote for fuzzy animal sirts, and I wish that weren't true.

While what you say is true, a design with a cat has a much higher propensity to be fogged.

Moreover, I don't see the scientific method demonstrated in this design.

Darquis

tgentry wrote:That was for the bag designing contest. I still haven't got one with the tee-truck on it, but I've gotten the other two that printed.

You're only up in Monroe, right? Want me to mail you the next one I get? (or do you not really care)

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
endangeredomega wrote:"He's fully functional and anatomically correct!"

He also has fangs...

Re: Making a Friend

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

wulfepup wrote:Asymmetry is more attractive because it's more real. No one has a symmetrical face in the real world and when we see it in art our minds find that it looks bizarre or alien.

I really like this design. But, for myself, it more sense as a poster than a t-shirt. Hopefully enough people disagree with me. Good Luck!

It's generally thought that the more symmetrical the face the more attractive... to a point. At some point you hit the uncanny valley, where it just becomes creepy and unreal. Everybody has asymmetry to their face, including super models, but theirs is usually much more subtle.

BaldBob007

Re: research methodology

Man, it was so much harder to cheat when I was in school! You actually had to put effort into it...

keelhaulkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
odysseyroc wrote:I like that you went really big with the print, though big prints aren't all that popular around here. the subject matter seems like the thing that would do well here, but the size of the print might hurt you.

thanks. i like big prints too. so i like making what i would wear and just hope some people would like to wear it too. i never expect to win these things though, just came back from a long break of not doing this. so i hope people like my entries for this derby. but thanks to everyone for their advice and input so far.

BaldBob007

Let's hope the Hensons never explore this, because just the silhouettes are disturbing enough! :S

Nice concept!

BaldBob007

Re: She Blew Me Up With Science

I agree, the placement is perfect! Really fun concept.

BaldBob007

Re: Curiosity Kills

I want those goggles! I still think the girl should have something in her hand(s), but is still menacing as is. ;)

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger
viciousspike wrote:...wow...I'm not sure whats going on here...but I freakin LOVE IT!

Thanks!

its a science party...you know. drinking chemicalssss, developing pizzaaa, dissecting frogsss...

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
artulo wrote:That's not a beaker, it's an Erlenmeyer flask.

Indeed, but it PuckerErlenmeyerFlaskBubbles doesn't sound as good.

Thank you for identifying my error.

goldprodigy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldprodigy
Darquis wrote:While what you say is true, a design with a cat has a much higher propensity to be fogged.

Moreover, I don't see the scientific method demonstrated in this design.

Sure enough it's now in the fog; I'm losing faith in shirtwoot with each passing hour.

keelhaulkate

keelhaulkate

keelhaulkate

Re: Feline Intelligence

love this alot!

keelhaulkate

Re: Order of Operations

now i want smores... good job!