odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.



Great job, I really like the color choices. You can be the first member of my "artist who deserve more love at woot" gang.





ruffleshaveridges


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruffleshaveridges
Re: OOPS!



yes this is the better one

toby8915


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
Re: Hi 6



DNA tosses you an extra finger? That's a Hi6!

BaldBob007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
SnowQueenVT wrote:Dr. Badger made a potion. Sadly, it turned everyone into fairies.



PM'd you.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!



After years of scientific pursuit the boys, sick of the smell of rubber and rats, got together to form the band. Secretly longing for some action. Chuck could play a mean bass. And surprisingly Sig had rhythm. Tom is electrifying on the lead guitar. While Ivan is there to play the ever loving cow bell. And of course headlining is the man with the golden voice Albert Funky Funky Funkenstein! Put your hands together and make some noise! I can't hear you!!!

ressamac


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Dr. Badger made a Potion.



Hope this one soars as I love it and need it.

ruffleshaveridges


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruffleshaveridges

MadamAtom


quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
jabberjaws13 wrote:the thumbnail isn't working for me, anyone else having that issue? might affect votes.



I can see the thumbnail just fine, in both Firefox 3 and IE 8. I can't see the art in anyone's quote of it, though. Odd.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Curiosity Kills V2



Trashed the old one since many more people enjoyed this one. I made the mistake of not reading the new comments on that one, so I truly apologies to anyone who liked that one more.

Special thanks to OdRoc for recommending, and displaying a better color scheme. I usually go light shirt if I want my line art to shine more, so I am thankful for your "fresh" eyes and your willingness to help me out. I probably won't have noticed due to past habits.

Chump ad: OdRoc's entry (minor advertisement in attempts to return a favor )

Taco Math


Annabananaka7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annabananaka7
MadamAtom wrote:I can see the thumbnail just fine, in both Firefox 3 and IE 8. I can't see the art in anyone's quote of it, though. Odd.



ummm genius? yes i think so.

sogj


quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: Curiosity Kills V2



Oh my goodness, this coloring is SO FREAKING otterific!!! +1!! love

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
Re: research methodology



I feel that this shirt doesn't make sense without the text attached.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 36 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: You got your chocolate in my peanut butter



You got your chocolate in my peanut butter! You got your peanut butter in my chocolate! Reese's Cups. The experiment with the happy ending. Yum!

6 colors on orange. Yep, I actually used orange.







blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Cellular Technology



I like it but is that a woot shirt color? if not it'll get rejected. best to take it down and fix it now.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
odysseyroc wrote:Great job, I really like the color choices. You can be the first member of my "artist who deserve more love at woot" gang.



I second the motion.
I can't understand how this talent gets overlooked.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
chumpmagic wrote:Trashed the old one since many more people enjoyed this one. I made the mistake of not reading the new comments on that one, so I truly apologies to anyone who liked that one more.

Special thanks to OdRoc for recommending, and displaying a better color scheme. I usually go light shirt if I want my line art to shine more, so I am thankful for your "fresh" eyes and your willingness to help me out. I probably won't have noticed due to past habits.

Chump ad: OdRoc's entry (minor advertisement in attempts to return a favor )

Taco Math



Thanks, Chump. I always like to help when I can. I generally spend 40-80 hours a week coloring, I'm constantly thinking about it. When you posted the sketch, I already had it colored in my head. Great job, btw.





rabidwooter


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rabidwooter
Re: Double Helix



Cool shirt, I want one. Who cares about all the scientific garbage. This is a design contest, not an essay contest based on some theoretical scientific thesis. Quiet nerds, sheesh...

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
blanked wrote:I like it but is that a woot shirt color? if not it'll get rejected. best to take it down and fix it now.



Yeah, unfortunately Woot doesn't have a teal or seafoam or whatever that is.
If you look on the Daily entry page http://shirt.woot.com/artists/default.aspx they actually list the shirt colors out there. Or on the Derby entry page https://sslshirt.woot.com/member/contestupload.aspx on the lefthand side are official templates that include all the colored shirts.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
parrotworks wrote:In all fairness, do you see the theme anywhere?



I think OdRoc's taco, Chump's Teddy Disection and Tgentry's fropig are all a good start, those three off the top of my head fit the theme really well.

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
rabidwooter wrote:Cool shirt, I want one. Who cares about all the scientific garbage. This is a design contest, not an essay contest based on some theoretical scientific thesis. Quiet nerds, sheesh...



Actually. Woot cares about all of this scientific garbage. They made the theme, this doesn't fit the theme. I'm a science nerd and will rage on. Sorry duder.

scullerud


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scullerud
ephemeralace wrote:So I love this shirt...but I don't know...the pretzel reminds me of poop with sprinkles 0_0



Same immediate thought, but the shirt is stinkin' funny!!

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
BaldBob007 wrote:To be fair, woot did basically say that all you have to do to be on theme is slap something related to science on anything and offer a 1ame segue.



I did see that (and helped someone make a jokey entry based on that) but I really figured woot was joking.

Joking, right? Right? ...right?

Doonyal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doonyal
Re: 5 Second Rule



This is so otterific! I use this rule ALL the time, my friends think i'm weird, but why let food go to waste? I really REALLY hope this prints, I might be willing to spare some money for one. If it doesn't please tell me if it prints some place else.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Re: 5 Second Rule



Hahahaha I like it. And I can make a tenuous connection to scientific method...but I think woot might (if they're being strict) hit you for the "countdown" because it isn't a formula and therefore not allowable text. How you'd redo without it, I have NO clue, just throwing it out there.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Cantatus wrote:I'll be honest and say I wouldn't. The shirt amuses me because it is a reference to one of my favorite parts in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

However, I'm not exactly sure why that's a bad thing. The context is part of the design, so changing that is going to change what people think about it. To me, it'd be the same thing as asking "Would you vote for this shirt if it used a frog instead of a teddy bear?"



I think BaldBob explained it really well. The shirt would still work based on it's concept (see also Styles' design) and could get more votes based on having funny things in comparison. But it really does trade on it's existence as a HHG reference. Which isn't bad, per se. But personally I'm a bit sick of that sort of thing is all. Just a personal preference.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
MadamAtom wrote:I can see the thumbnail just fine, in both Firefox 3 and IE 8. I can't see the art in anyone's quote of it, though. Odd.



It was totally broken this afternoon, but it seems Woot did fix it on one end. Really, it having a thumbnail in the derby is most important. I wonder what happened?

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
rabidwooter wrote:Cool shirt, I want one. Who cares about all the scientific garbage. This is a design contest, not an essay contest based on some theoretical scientific thesis. Quiet nerds, sheesh...



What you're saying is, essentially, "Who cares about the rules, this is a contest to make woot give you as much money as you can. Quit having an opinion". What's the point of having a theme if artist's are just going to ignore it and do what they want? We might as well just have it be kawaii week, every week, and pay Ramy enough to retire on, and get no variety in style or content.

rabidwooter


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rabidwooter
koronae wrote:Actually. Woot cares about all of this scientific garbage. They made the theme, this doesn't fit the theme. I'm a science nerd and will rage on. Sorry duder.



"This week, show us your take on the Scientific Method."

That implies your own opinion or artistic interpretation. If this gets rejected, almost all other submissions must also get rejected.

So far I see flying caterpillars, smiling beakers, and bacteria with facial expressions. So all those cutesy submissions are all hard science? LMAO, sure thing, whatever you say...

rabidwooter


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rabidwooter
Darquis wrote:What you're saying is, essentially, "Who cares about the rules, this is a contest to make woot give you as much money as you can. Quit having an opinion". What's the point of having a theme if artist's are just going to ignore it and do what they want? We might as well just have it be kawaii week, every week, and pay Ramy enough to retire on, and get no variety in style or content.



Ok, go ahead and show me where the rules specifically state "Must be 100% scientifically accurate."

Muppethero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muppethero
Re: Free Fall Test



Love the reference, but in a vacuum there would be no air rushing past them 8 )

Doonyal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doonyal
AdderXYU wrote:I didn't realize DNA was discovered in 2009. But this entry does highlight a very important issue: that your work is almost never something relevant to themes. This doesn't evoke any story of 2009. It's just a double helix that you attached to some other story that somehow involved DNA. And right now, it's off theme again because DNA is part of science, but not the scientific method. It is tenuous at best. Which would be an excellent screenname for you if Ramyb ever gets rightfully banned.



it is on topic, people just want to gripe about ramby

example:
Four basic elements of scientific method are illustrated below, by example from the discovery of the structure of DNA:
DNA-characterizations: in this case, although the significance of the gene had been established, the mechanism was unclear to anyone, as of 1950.
DNA-hypotheses: Crick and Watson hypothesized that the gene had a physical basis - it was helical.
DNA-predictions: from earlier work on tobacco mosaic virus, Watson was aware of the significance of Crick's formulation of the transform of a helix. Thus he was primed for the significance of the X-shape in photo 51.
DNA-experiments: Watson sees photo 51.

i will agree with mrwednesday though, that if those two shirts were supposed to be different, there isn't a big enough change really for it not to be an issue. Still enjoy your work though ramby.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
Re: x = pb j



pb+j = nom³

urjewishgirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages urjewishgirl
Re: curiosity killed the cat



This shirt is so fricken AWESOMEe...and I bet you anything that most people wont even get it...but I'll show it to my Quantum Mechanics class we'll all laugh :D

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
rabidwooter wrote:Ok, go ahead and show me where the rules specifically state "Must be 100% scientifically accurate."



Don't recall saying scientifically accurate. Woot didn't say hard science. They said
"This week, show us your take on the Scientific Method. Maybe you'll attest to the value of repeatable results, show us an experiment in motion" (cut because the rest was a joke).

And you mention some other designs, but for example, the caterpillar is testing a form of Bernoulli's principle (from fluid dynamics) which allows flight. As for the smiling beakers, I want them gone too, so that's not inconsistent. The caterpillar, though, is actually good scientific method.

Ramy slapped DNA on a shirt (and in fact has submitted this before, and wasn't really on topic then either). No experimentation, no results, no theory, no nothing, just pretty DNA.

If this were a biology derby or just "science" I might even be inclined to vote for it. But my liking a shirt doesn't make a shirt within the rules, and neither does yours.

urjewishgirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages urjewishgirl
Re: Hypothisis is false...



Awww it is so cute!

Emay09


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emay09
ronzalone wrote:This looks really neat. I feel like it might look a little better on the left side of the shirt. Just my opinion though.


this is boring

VeanMan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages VeanMan
Re: Free Fall Test



Poor Agrajag...

VeanMan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages VeanMan
Re: 5 Second Rule



So good.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Doonyal wrote:it is on topic, people just want to gripe about ramby

example:
Four basic elements of scientific method are illustrated below, by example from the discovery of the structure of DNA:
DNA-characterizations: in this case, although the significance of the gene had been established, the mechanism was unclear to anyone, as of 1950.
DNA-hypotheses: Crick and Watson hypothesized that the gene had a physical basis - it was helical.
DNA-predictions: from earlier work on tobacco mosaic virus, Watson was aware of the significance of Crick's formulation of the transform of a helix. Thus he was primed for the significance of the X-shape in photo 51.
DNA-experiments: Watson sees photo 51.

i will agree with mrwednesday though, that if those two shirts were supposed to be different, there isn't a big enough change really for it not to be an issue. Still enjoy your work though ramby.



I'll throw this out now - I'm not just a ramy hater. I own some ramy designs. Under different circumstances, I MIGHT get this one. So you can't just dismiss my criticism that way.

Ramy demonstrated none of the things you just said. Moreover, when this was designed, it wasn't intended to show any of things you OR Ramy said it was - it was in events of 2009, and tenuously there as well. It's a barely changed resub here, so I find it hard to swallow that suddenly this design was meant to be something completely different than it was 9 months ago (while still being almost identical to it). (I also don't think Ramy's description makes sense, but I'm tired right now so I'll reread it later before I respond to it)

Basically, there's not really a way to justify this as a display of the scientific method given the entry's history and it's current state. If it were significantly reworked, maybe!

VeanMan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages VeanMan
Re: Double Helix



I love hexagons.