thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

Siax wrote:going for the win!!!!

I am sooo buying this shirt!!!

I hope so!

sharkswithlasers349 wrote:Yes! This fogged while I was in school! I also noticed the "1" covering up the "3," and while it does seem a bit off, your reasoning for wanting all of the numbers to be easily recognizable makes a lot of sense. If someone does get reeeally picky about it, just tell them that there's a slit in the "3" in which the "1" goes. Fingers crossed for a print.

Let me look at the design again and see if I can't make it look like what you expect without changing the overall look. If I get something working, I'll mail it to Woot and let them decide what to print.

amw23583 wrote:Sweet shirt!

Thanks!

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert
ozgrl12 wrote:Well kosher marshmallows do exist, having eaten them. I believe they use either gelatin made from fish or plants (depending on who the rabbi giving the certification is)

What I have found out is that they really are very different than "traditional marshmallows" which contain gelatin. Once one of my friends was doing a smores event on campus and since it was his event and he wanted to eat them too he used kosher marshmallows- and everyone was like Oragutan Mating Guide... what's wrong with the marshmallows and why are they lighting on fire and not actually melting the chocolate...

Apparently not everything has a substitute.

The important thing is that marshmallow creme makes better rice krispy treats than marshmallows do. I can skip the smores...

forstycup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forstycup
Re: The Impatient Aviator

Congrats on making it back into the fog SpiritGreen. I love this design. He needs a good updraft of votes to fly high enough :D

Good luck!

sYs73m

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sYs73m
Re: 5 Second Rule

Great execution. Nothing I'd wear, but it's definitely funny.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Ryuzaki wrote:I'd just like to point out that if I buy a derby shirt, in a week when I finally get to wear it, no one is going to know what derby it was from, what the rules were, and if it was "on topic" or not. If they do, then they hang out at this site more than most parents on Facebook.

Aside from who created the shirt or if it is on topic (because that is shirt.woot!'s problem), I have to ask myself this question: "Do I like it?".

And the answer here is yes.

And really, if you want to BUY a shirt based on "I like it" that's fine, personal taste and all.

But if you're voting for it based on "I like it" even though you admit it might not be on theme (or that you don't care that it's on theme) then why do we bother having derbies? Why not just have cuteanimalOctober and have every weekend the cutest animals that can get some votes print?

Darquis

IndependentVik wrote:I don't mean to be a hater; I like you style, dude. But couldn't you say "You find out more about _____ by scientific method" to justify basically anything as on topic in this derby? That's the beauty of the scientific method, you can use it to learn more about almost anything.

You learn about cute animals via scientific method, here, have a kitty!

Darquis

thatrobert wrote:The way Pi was discovered was precisely the scientific method: mathematicians observed, made a hypothesis, and then either proved or disproved their theory.

If the theme was "science" and not "scientific method", I might agree with you.

As you admit, it's the result of scientific method, not the process of. I think that makes it off topic, but I really do like the design. Best of luck.

celestialokami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celestialokami

Well, I like the design but its too bad its on black. Too much fits the shirt stereotype for me. Personally, I think these sorts of design things need to go on lighter tones.

drpmrocha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drpmrocha
Re: double helix rainbow

Still not DNA. DNA has A-T and C-G. You have 6 color units pairing up, making 3 base pairs.

ya2sabes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes
AdderXYU wrote:You have an incredibly descriptive and accurate name

Adder ftw.

Like others have said, I liked where you were going with the carbon morphing into life, but I also agree that the circles don't really do much and the theme connection is a stretch.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719

You are a pro with font, bro.

"Writer's Block" is my favorite shirt of all time.

keelhaulkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
SnowQueenVT wrote:Very cool website Kate! I just checked it out !

thanks!

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

I liked this one, I have a feeling it was rejected because it's not at all parody of Office Space.

I think your drawing is quite good! There's really no call for someone to call artwork (of any kind) horrible without more explanation. That is not constructive and is no way to improve someone's quality of work. I really don't think there's anything wrong with this drawing (artistically, they might not be able to print it, but they never reject because of lack of artistic talent, so don't think that was it.) It may not be quite as polished as some of the ones in the fog, but it's really good for just your second derby entry! Keep at it!

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13
mindputtee wrote:I liked this one, I have a feeling it was rejected because it's not at all parody of Office Space.

I think your drawing is quite good! There's really no call for someone to call artwork (of any kind) horrible without more explanation. That is not constructive and is no way to improve someone's quality of work. I really don't think there's anything wrong with this drawing (artistically, they might not be able to print it, but they never reject because of lack of artistic talent, so don't think that was it.) It may not be quite as polished as some of the ones in the fog, but it's really good for just your second derby entry! Keep at it!

In addition to not really being a parody, they might also say celebrity likeness (I know Stephen Root isn't a huge celebrity...but he is a celeb...)

You shouldn't worry about your artistic abilities...they won't get you rejected (only the content). And you're not the worst artist to enter the derby (have you checked out some of my entries? :P )

Anyway, good luck in future derbies

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: The Price of Progress

No offense, but it's hard for me to believe that the gradient for the "headlight" is printable.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
mindputtee wrote:I liked this one, I have a feeling it was rejected because it's not at all parody of Office Space.

Re: Stapler Subtraction Effect

Tamar,
I want to agree with mindputtee here that I think your drawing is quite good too, (as I said before) the drawing of the man has a really nice flow, like you are relaxed and comfortable with your artwork.
I've got to go to bed now, sorry to comment twice here but I wanted you to know your idea was funny and I liked it!!! I will be looking for more of your artwork . Good night.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

osruicat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osruicat
Re: Cellular Technology

YES. I WOULD BUY THIS SHIRT. (!!)

osruicat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osruicat
Re: I'm doing science and I'm still alive

This shirt is beyond otterific. I would get it if it won.

eburgeson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eburgeson
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

Disturbing. Totally disturbing. And yet, I must have one. :-)

hjenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hjenkins
Re: Order of Operations

Shouldn't there be a 'minus fire' in the equation somewhere like the minus stick? You probably would not be smiling on the other side of the equal sign if the s'more was on fire!

Aside from that technicality, I love the idea. Nice work!

Cmarlowe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cmarlowe
Re: Experimentation and Observation

I don't expect you to talk, I expect you to die!

solz22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solz22
SnowQueenVT wrote:Tamar,
I want to agree with mindputtee here that I think your drawing is quite good too, (as I said before) the drawing of the man has a really nice flow, like you are relaxed and comfortable with your artwork.
I've got to go to bed now, sorry to comment twice here but I wanted you to know your idea was funny and I liked it!!! I will be looking for more of your artwork . Good night.

i don't see anything wrong with the artwork, its very easy to identify what your talkin about which is the goal of any shirt

i guess the only thing i could say is the building looks kinda wierd, hard to tell its a office but that would generally be hard to draw anyways so idk where I would even start lol

Vote for me! <3 thanks

djskellington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djskellington
Re: Lab Rat

Voted. If this becomes available, I'm getting two - one for myself and one for my wife.

gabrielucf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabrielucf
Re: The Science of Beauty

def scarlett johanson, maybe your id designed this shirt

kschlege

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kschlege
Re: Made of carbon

I don't get it ...

zavn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn

Pretty cool, except that without the title, I don't know that I would have known that it was Darwin instead of some crazy bird man.

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Double Helix

My only complaint about this entry is that it is a resub and to my eyes, it is not significantly different. Ramy says he redid it, but I see no significant changes from his original entry from the Events of 2009 Derby.

So, once again, Woot is bending the rules for Ramy unless this is rejected at the last minute.

mindputtee

Re: Bee Careful

I'm kind of in love with those little bees hehehehe

mindputtee

Re: chemical spill

I like this, but I'd like to see a bigger view of the design.

HolyApocalypse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HolyApocalypse
Re: Rube Gravity Machine

Excerpts from Lab Notebook #4:

1685, England: Newton is hit by an falling apple from a tree, sparking revelations on gravity. This work is later published in the Principia.

2010, ??: Efforts to replicate Newton's discovery have been fruitless. Despite the use of highly complex devices, the more we improve on our design with more parts, the harder it is to get this apple to fall off the tree. Science is hard, but we'll figure it out, we just need more steps somewhere. Someone get a hammer!

---

Whew, took long enough to get it submitted, couldn't get any free time to do it! Too late to get much exposure, I'm sure, but hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Link to higher resolution picture below.

Gally242

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Gally242

awww, out of the fog it falls. Rise again little shirt, rise again!

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight
DianaSprinkle wrote:"Free Fall Test"

In a vacuum, all bodies accelerate at the same rate. This is true regardless of the mass or composition of the body.

So here are a few items that we are testing this theory on...

6 colors on Asphalt.

Saw the shirt and immediate thought was to Hitchikers which brought a large smile to my face :o) Got my vote and I'll def be buying this if it makes it. Thanks!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: chemical spill

Very nicely drawn! This would have done well if it had been up earlier.

moosesniffles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosesniffles
sYs73m wrote:Great execution. Nothing I'd wear, but it's definitely funny.

I wasn't trying to knock it out of the running don't get me wrong. It is brilliantly executed. I was just immediately reminded of that picture an thought it should be noted

spacemonkeydr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacemonkeydr
parrotworks wrote:No offense, but it's hard for me to believe that the gradient for the "headlight" is printable.

Ughhh sure it is...halftones

hustler03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hustler03
bridge2nowhere wrote:First Shirt I actually want to buy in a long time.

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe this isn't in the fog yet.

Neener Neener

spider1211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spider1211

Hope this shirt get more votes, would really like on. Just for the birds alone, since I'm the crazy bird lady!

SnowQueenVT

moosesniffles wrote:I wasn't trying to knock it out of the running don't get me wrong. It is brilliantly executed. I was just immediately reminded of that picture an thought it should be noted

Re: 5 Second Rule

Don't worry Moose, the way you presented this shows you're not mean. I think seeduvpains design is safe.

(I polled my almost 7 year old daughter , showed her the 2 pictures and she is with seeduvpain all the way and she also loved the pretzel and the amazingly otterific germs.) (What I'm saying, is she said "They're different.)

SnowQueenVT

Re: There’s no Chemistry

I love this more each day and the coloring is truly amazing, I noticed the reflection on the table and the subtle shading on the glass bottles and my favorite technique that is so yours, where you use dots that fall into the negative space (like on the gleam of the bottle) so effective.

Such talent, so unique, I don't miss version one (chemistry) anymore, this "story" is even more interesting! (The characters have depth.)

SnowQueenVT

spider1211 wrote:Hope this shirt get more votes, would really like on. Just for the birds alone, since I'm the crazy bird lady!

Just wondering...Do you have pet birds or do you feed wild birds?
Do they sit on your head?