jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
HolyApocalypse wrote:Excerpts from Lab Notebook #4:

1685, England: Newton is hit by an falling apple from a tree, sparking revelations on gravity. This work is later published in the Principia.

2010, ??: Efforts to replicate Newton's discovery have been fruitless. Despite the use of highly complex devices, the more we improve on our design with more parts, the harder it is to get this apple to fall off the tree. Science is hard, but we'll figure it out, we just need more steps somewhere. Someone get a hammer!

---

Whew, took long enough to get it submitted, couldn't get any free time to do it! Too late to get much exposure, I'm sure, but hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Link to higher resolution picture below.

Maybe it is just me...but I'd love to see a Rube Goldberg derby.

Probably already been done.

Someone would probably say that the idea of a Rube Goldberg machine has already been done and would therefore be plagiarism.

I just think with the creativity of many people here, it could be a pretty interesting derby.

elfnow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elfnow
Re: Conclusion: An Edgy 'Do Scores Chicks

I LOVE the comb-over one! LOLOL!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Darwin's Data

OK, I really hate to be the one to pee on someone's cornflakes, but... I knew I'd seen this concept before. And while I love the style and execution of this much more, the proportions in the Sudyka painting are more correct (finches are itty-bitty birds). The size of the birds has bugged me from the start.
All that said, it does make for an interesting and attention-getting design. Good luck!

clockworkinfinity

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clockworkinfinity
Re: Triple Point

Love this! Being a huge fan of baking things, especially muffins and cupcakes, I would totally wear this. <3

elfnow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elfnow
Re: double helix rainbow

I'd want three!!

Junk6245

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junk6245
Re: chemical spill

I love it! Simple, colorful and not huge on the shirt.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Zu Chongzhi's estimate

Darquis wrote:As you admit, it's the result of scientific method, not the process of. I think that makes it off topic, but I really do like the design. Best of luck.

I submitted my design believing it was on topic but the way you and a few other people explained it makes more sense.

I think we sometimes think that Woot really understands what they're asking for when they come up with a topic but in reality I think they throw some idea out there and reject the outliers of the way the crowd understands it instead of their original intention.

juliaL719 wrote:You are a pro with font, bro.

"Writer's Block" is my favorite shirt of all time.

Otterific! Thanks so much. That one didn't get much love. It's cool to hear somebody really liked it!

tickldpink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tickldpink
paigeg wrote:OK, I really hate to be the one to pee on someone's cornflakes, but... I knew I'd seen this concept before. And while I love the style and execution of this much more, the proportions in the Sudyka painting are more correct (finches are itty-bitty birds). The size of the birds has bugged me from the start.
All that said, it does make for an interesting and attention-getting design. Good luck!

HAHA! I rather like the big fat bird sitting on his head ~ just makes me chuckle every time I see it.

lunachica86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunachica86
Re: Test Tube Baby

So sad to see this out of the fog was really hoping it would win

hopefully there'll be some more votes or they'll print it some other time =\

Junk6245

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junk6245

Love the concept, love the design.

However, I think the shirt would look better if the imprint were much smaller. For me, as it is, I want to see it even larger and see what happens when it takes over the entire shirt.

frik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
Re: The Experiment: Happiness is...

I had to finally come back and vote for this one. First, I want to say it was really cool how you asked for feedback and actually received good constructive comments. AND you did a great job of using the comments and bettering your original work in a way that looks great.

Very well done.

No. Yes.

GoToonces

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GoToonces

I think it'd be better if the mouse's musculature indicated a long period of running. Improve the mouse or just clean it up a bit and I'd vote for it.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Sometimes, Distance is Forever

Is this formula saying that d=r or d=r+1?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

sasham62 wrote:I think the fear is that people might think you're advocating this if you wear the shirt.

People might think you're advocating for pig/frog hybrids. That's the fear. Based off this shirt.

Speechless.

shinobamoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinobamoon
Re: Man Woman = Whoa Baby!

MALE + FEMALE = BBQ GRILL

Randomshot86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Randomshot86
Darquis wrote:I'm not sure what your scientific method is here but um...I have a feeling that theme isn't going to be an issue. I'm pretty sure woot will reject this because of what it resembles...

It resembles a heart u perv LOL

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
ya2sabes wrote:Adder ftw.

Like others have said, I liked where you were going with the carbon morphing into life, but I also agree that the circles don't really do much and the theme connection is a stretch.

Wait...those are circles? I thought that was an Ocean Pacific shirt. Op

(Sorry...I guess it was mean, but I couldn't help but laugh when my mind went back to the 80's with this design. Man...now I wish there was a Panama Jack reference out there.)

Either way...congrats on doing well in this derby - even if it is not my style and even if I agree that it is a bit off theme.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Taco Math

I feel like every derby there's at least one brilliant design of yours that I'm amazed isn't doing better. Stoopid voters :P

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

IndependentVik wrote:I feel like every derby there's at least one brilliant design of yours that I'm amazed isn't doing better. Stoopid voters :P

Yes, this design in particular is sooooooooo fantastic and wolverinetastic and over the top great. I think it's the thumbnail, honestly that is causing voters to miss this total gem.
I was hoping that the knife would have been the thumbnail, because it's such a strong character, I think letting the knife be a surprise in this case robbed us of the chance to own one of odesseyrocs designs and this would have been such a great example of his work.

Please give an EC, that would be so wolverinetastically otterific!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

midasvictim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midasvictim
Hammylink wrote:Carbon rings are toxic to carbon based life forms.

otterific...another example on how the smarter you are, the funnier stuff is...until a certain point, then nothing is ever funny again.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Assassin15 wrote:"Of course the Scientific Method is all about rules, like our omnipresent rule about not "borrowing" copyrighted works or trademarked characters"

Woot will probably regard this as parody, since the entire blue monster has not been portrayed.

Ryuzaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ryuzaki
Re: Double Helix

I can see your point. When it comes to a contest, an entry should play by the rules or be removed. However, you must keep in mind that underneath it all, the whole goal of even having a derby is to sell shirts. If a design isn't aesthetically pleasing, it isn't going to sell. And while I agree with you that for fairness purposes this shirt does not meet the proper criteria and according to the rules, should be removed, I refuse to vote for a shirt design that meets the criteria that I wouldn't buy over a design that I will, even if it is not on topic.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
tamarwhite wrote:Is there some type of copyright issue? I blurred the Swingline logo because of that, and also the no text rule.

I think the + and = count as text

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

PowerPosture

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PowerPosture

What programs do you use to get your drawings outlined into the computer?

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
SnowQueenVT wrote:(RE some of us wish woot had purple shirts and this design would look great on purple IF there were purple shirts.)

I think the need for purple shirts around here is pretty dire.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Sacrifice the drafting paper look and give purple to the people!

Pur-ple!

Pur-ple!...

(of course since theres no purple, we'll just have to go with option one and slop grape jelly on ourselves)

But I don't think this would look better purple. The sketchy-ness sells it, along with pb&j being easily recognizable. If it were on purple it wouldn't show as sketchy, but as dark lines.

Like I said, I'm all for adding a frosty grape color, just not for this shirt. "Gonna make you lunch" would've looked good on a light purple shirt (although I love lemon too).

My fear is that if woot ever added purple, it would be a dark purple, restricting the inks that would be clearly visible, versus a frosty purple that would allow for a wider range of inks.

Happy Beer.

HolyApocalypse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HolyApocalypse
jstjred wrote:Maybe it is just me...but I'd love to see a Rube Goldberg derby.

Probably already been done.

Someone would probably say that the idea of a Rube Goldberg machine has already been done and would therefore be plagiarism.

I just think with the creativity of many people here, it could be a pretty interesting derby.

Yeah, I think it would be fun, though maybe a bit too restrictive for some. Honestly, the toughest part was thinking of ways to design the "machine" that made sense, but could still be done in a way that makes sense on a print.

SnowQueenVT

Re: x = pb j

jabberjaws13 wrote:But I don't think this would look better purple. The sketchy-ness sells it, along with pb&j being easily recognizable. If it were on purple it wouldn't show as sketchy, but as dark lines.

Like I said, I'm all for adding a frosty grape color, just not for this shirt. "Gonna make you lunch" would've looked good on a light purple shirt (although I love lemon too).

My fear is that if woot ever added purple, it would be a dark purple, restricting the inks that would be clearly visible, versus a frosty purple that would allow for a wider range of inks.

I know. It would have to be a lighter purple( which is fine by me.)
...and this design is fine, of course , just the way it is!)

I used to work as an artist in a tshirt shop and we had a certain supply of inventory...I picture woot as a huge place with a huge inventory of their most popular colors and they just keep that inventory stocked.
All of the pastel colors offered are easily worn by both men and women.
It still doesn't make it any better for people who want purple shirts, well, there is always the option of using purple as color in the designs.
(my daughter here wants me to ask for pink shirts too!)

aaronstrader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronstrader

That's plain funny. I had to say it.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
SnowQueenVT wrote:Yes, this design in particular is sooooooooo fantastic and wolverinetastic and over the top great. I think it's the thumbnail, honestly that is causing voters to miss this total gem.
I was hoping that the knife would have been the thumbnail, because it's such a strong character, I think letting the knife be a surprise in this case robbed us of the chance to own one of odesseyrocs designs and this would have been such a great example of his work.

Please give an EC, that would be so wolverinetastically otterific!!

I don't know. The smores one had a non working thumbnail for a while and that didn't slow it down at all. I seriously think there's something about my art that is off putting to the voters here.

druidbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages druidbob

Pi day is my birthday,

This must win so I can buy it.

SnowQueenVT

odysseyroc wrote:I don't know. The smores one had a non working thumbnail for a while and that didn't slow it down at all. I seriously think there's something about my art that is off putting to the voters here.

Just keep going, Rocky, you are a great artist and we all know it!

druidbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages druidbob
Re: Albert Funkenstein and The Scientific Method!

This is great! hope it wins.

mhmanos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmanos
mjc613 wrote:Is this formula saying that d=r or d=r+1?

d=r(t), or "distance equals rate times time"

aenari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aenari
Re: The Price of Progress

It reminded me of Metropolis.

Wanting is no art...to want rightly, on the other hand, is a great art, or rather, it is a gift.
-Kierkegaard

odysseyroc

SnowQueenVT wrote:Just keep going, Rocky, you are a great artist and we all know it!

Thanks Snowy, I'm at a point where I'm okay with my art not appealing to the voters here. I'm going to just keep doing what I do, eventually I'll find success somewhere. It probably won't be here, but the derby is a great place to hone your skills.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
odysseyroc wrote:I don't know. The smores one had a non working thumbnail for a while and that didn't slow it down at all. I seriously think there's something about my art that is off putting to the voters here.

I think that's because the vast majority of the voters here are somehow allergic to most art that has any thought and quality put into it. Sheeple like simple, unfortunately.

But take heart! You printed recently elsewhere, and I'm sure it will be the first of many to come. I have great confidence there is an audience for your talent - but as you've said, that audience probably isn't here at Woot.

mathmom314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mathmom314
Re: The Impatient Aviator

This is fabulous! I love this so much that I took back all of my votes except this one.

SnowQueenVT

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks Snowy, I'm at a point where I'm okay with my art not appealing to the voters here. I'm going to just keep doing what I do, eventually I'll find success somewhere. It probably won't be here, but the derby is a great place to hone your skills.

Yes (excellent place to hone skills), and it's fun too, but it would be a pleasure to see you win here, it really really would.(And I believe that you will ! )(It wouldn't be much fun if we were competing against a bunch of hacks, right? It's good company for sure.

odysseyroc

endangeredomega wrote:I think that's because the vast majority of the voters here are somehow allergic to most art that has any thought and quality put into it. Sheeple like simple, unfortunately.

But take heart! You printed recently elsewhere, and I'm sure it will be the first of many to come. I have great confidence there is an audience for your talent - but as you've said, that audience probably isn't here at Woot.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I've had so many failures in comics(where I need the money to live), that I can't be too mad about something that I'm supposed to be doing for fun. When The Boys got canceled at Wildstorm, I think I went close to a year without really being able to get any kind of work at all. I made it through that and ended up with more work than I've ever had. So, yeah I know the value of sticking with something till you find a place that you can be successful.

I appreciate the support I get from the message board regulars here, it keeps me going.

glm9647

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glm9647

I don't see "Scientific Method" here... no more than the E=mc^Pi shirt, which was rejected. True, that shirt is wrong, but being a scientist, I can tell you that the scientific method mainly consists of being wrong...