JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Spiritgreen wrote:Art101, resub as soon as you can. :^)

This is a sweet design. And I say that as someone who has sadly never toasted a marshmallow.

WHAT?!?! Holy crapola spirit, lets go camping. Like nowish.

ronzalone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ronzalone
Re: Lab Rat

Not a bad design, but the people look kinda odd the way they're drawn. Not the fact that they're white, but the different style they seem to be drawn in sort of conflicts with the rest of the style of the shirt.
I'm also not sure what the glow is on the rat's left arm/side of it's face. Is it supposed to be from that tiny puddle in the cage?
One other thing: For the beaker (with the blue liquid) you can see through to the background (the half-tone, and in one case the rat's hand), but for the flask (with the green liquid) and the test tubes, you can't. Shouldn't you see the background/rat's hand through both?

ronzalone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ronzalone
Re: Nothing Beats the Monkey V2

I'd choose that monkey with a music box to follow me around playing my music instead of those other things any day!

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters

I'm loving the red. Good choice... and I've said it before, I'll say it again. You can't go wrong with monkeys.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
murraymullet wrote:Music + Nature = otterific

That makes perfect sense. I love this shirt.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
tgentry wrote:Role reversal shirts are forever the bane of my existence (what if staplers stapled us?!? what if food ate us?!? what if cars drove us... ad nausea) but this has a positive stance of sort going for it if you're against animal testing/cruelty.

Dude, what IF staplers stapled us?
D:

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
odysseyroc wrote:You're in Los Dangerous, you can randomly walk into a building and find some really good tacos.

that is true, your tacos looks like heaven though =) i am actually getting the rest of the day off and driving back home today where they have even better tacos, small town tacos beat la tacos any day.

good luck on your design, im really hoping it stays firmly in the fog and hopefully gets a print!

juleesteele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juleesteele
tgentry wrote:Donuts are Devils Riding Unicorns

Through careful observation and magnification we now know the base elements that make donuts so good and so evil.

I couldn't agree more!

BootsBoots

Re: Chemistry

I love the reflection effect. It looks so nice.

joshuajmasters

Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

I rolled a D20 and it decided that I LOVE this!

BootsBoots

jasneko wrote:Much clearer!

It is. And still cute!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
megsck wrote:that is true, your tacos looks like heaven though =) i am actually getting the rest of the day off and driving back home today where they have even better tacos, small town tacos beat la tacos any day.

good luck on your design, im really hoping it stays firmly in the fog and hopefully gets a print!

The best tacos are in the Macarthur Park area where you can get lunch, a fake social security card, and hacked to death with a machete, all in the same afternoon.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred

This is a sweet design. And I say that as someone who has sadly never toasted a marshmallow.

I cheat and nuke my marshmallows (no fire.) But it is almost as fun, because they get SUPER big.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

YAY!!! FTW!! in for 3 :D

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
profbrendan wrote:Dude, what IF staplers stapled us?
D:

I don't know about you, but staples will staple you. If your finger is in the wrong place, you will be stapled

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
spookynutz wrote:It'll never happen, but I wish Woot! would change their policy so that voting on a shirt means that you automatically get billed for any shirts you vote on that prints.

I've liked two or three of ramyb/sekioyawhatever's shirts (own one), but the rest tend to be sub-par artwork without a lot of thought to the concept. Just my opinion. I've also watched controversy abound as mediocre shirt after mediocre shirt of theirs gets upvoted into the fog over some truly good-looking, well-thought-out designs.

The same happens with other artists as well, which is why I haven't purchased a shirt from this site in a long time: too much favoritism, not enough originality. If people were committing to pay for a shirt they voted on, we'd see a lot less favoritism, I'm sure.

This is the only remotely supportive thing you'll ever see on a Ramy shirt from me: this idea is purely ignorant.

1) This will lead to fewer votes overall. People do not like their money to go into limbo. There have been shirt sites that prove this. If I give you my money, I expect product from it. And of course, there's the question of whether woot would take $10 tentative bucks from the user's account for every tee voted for. We would get far lower vote counts, and it would be totally unrepresentative.

2) This will disenfranchise poorer users. If I vote for three shirts I want, and all three win, I have to spend $30 in a weekend. As it is now, I can vote for all three and, if my favorite wins, I can choose later to buy the others or not. This should be in my ability.

3) Fanbois would still vote, bar none. Any unfair advantage anyone has due to rabid or ignorantly obsessed fans would still exist. It would only make it HARDER for marginally popular but better work to succeed. We'd see far more status quo, because people would be less likely to vote for their 3rd favorite shirt. If 1000 people like a shirt as their first favorite, but 2000 like a shirt as their 5th favorite, that shirt will win in the current derby. That is how the rare good designs win. People won't vote for their 5th favorite if they need to lock $10 into the vote

4) There are other reasons this is horrible idea: someone might use a maxed-out credit card as their primary card and then get hit with a winning print... someone might want to switch payment methods for some reason and have forgotten to do so a week in advance... some huge financial issue might come up (hospital visit? car wreck) which puts someone in a position where they shouldn't buy ANY shirts in a weekend, despite their earlier intentions... a shirt might be found to be stolen upon printing, and a user might say "well damn, I shouldn't have voted, I'm not going to buy!" ... someone might vote for a non-wooting friend, and said friend might, upon the win, say "nah, I actually hate that"...

Simply put, it is less fair to REQUIRE a sale from someone on a tee that might not win. The only overall fair way to stop the status quo and disgusting, pathetic work from winning is to weaken the power of votes. so long as votes can be cast by people who don't know what they're doing, we need a system that says "screw that, we're printing what's good." there should be no limit on why someone votes. there should just be a check in place at the end that says "hmm, between the comments and votes and overall quality, I don't think this deserves it." I'm fairly confident that would solve a lot more problems than making voting, in effect, a class based decision.

The VAST majority of woot derby winners outsell their votes. We all know that sales are not representative of quality (which in and of itself should be proof not to require a sale with a vote), but even if they were, almost all woot shirts are proven to be "higher quality" by sales than by votes. So requiring sales really won't change anything... if 800 people vote on a shirt, and 1000 sell, there's no real way to be sure any one of those 800 didn't buy it. Reform must come with a wholly different vote method.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
odysseyroc wrote:In honor of this design I used science to create these "fusion" tacos: Smoked tri-tip with ahi, onion, cilantro and cholula.

ok i am dum.......b. what is the creamy stuff? is that the cholula? i thought cholula was that hot sauce at every friggen restaurant in the midwest.

[i prefer the rooster!]

Happy Beer.

BootsBoots

Re: An Experiment Gone Awry

Very charming.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
tgentry wrote:Role reversal shirts are forever the bane of my existence (what if staplers stapled us?!? what if food ate us?!? what if cars drove us... ad nausea) but this has a positive stance of sort going for it if you're against animal testing/cruelty.

I would say he's probably just saying "screw you, people, with your human ethics. I am a deformed rat, and I will own you."

jabberjaws13

wth!!!! your parents need to be beaten.

edit: wait aren't you a limey brit? maybe that's why.... no camping weather just gloom and gray. =)

Happy Beer.

walmazan

quality posts: 59 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Chemistry

Upps!, looks like the concept has been done before, (maybe the idea it's too obvious and usual)

I think I going to change this a little bit and come back

Thanks guys!

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:ok i am dum.......b. what is the creamy stuff? is that the cholula? i thought cholula was that hot sauce at every friggen restaurant in the midwest.

[i prefer the rooster!]

It's aji, it's a sauce that you find in Peruvian restaruants. I've recently become obsessed with the Peruvian dish, tallarin saltado, so I decided to make some this weekend and thought I'd make some aji to go along with it.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
sacrerouge wrote:I don't know about you, but staples will staple you. If your finger is in the wrong place, you will be stapled

Ooh, point.
You win THIS round.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
ronzalone wrote:I like how you drew the pencil marks showing where they ran.

Thanks! It was a last minute idea that I ended up liking a lot.

jstjred

spookynutz wrote:It'll never happen, but I wish Woot! would change their policy so that voting on a shirt means that you automatically get billed for any shirts you vote on that prints.

I've liked two or three of ramyb/sekioyawhatever's shirts (own one), but the rest tend to be sub-par artwork without a lot of thought to the concept. Just my opinion. I've also watched controversy abound as mediocre shirt after mediocre shirt of theirs gets upvoted into the fog over some truly good-looking, well-thought-out designs.

The same happens with other artists as well, which is why I haven't purchased a shirt from this site in a long time: too much favoritism, not enough originality. If people were committing to pay for a shirt they voted on, we'd see a lot less favoritism, I'm sure.

The vote isn't for what you'd buy. It is for what you'd want.

Or more specifically, anything that "catches your fancy" as the rules for voting states.

Plenty of things catch my fancy that I wouldn't buy. Incidentally I also learned that even when something is very interesting and I thought I would buy it...when it came to actually clicking on "I want one!" I couldn't go through with it. (As is the case with Rain Rain Go Away...that I still want, but cannot commit to buy.)

That said...if the artist is what catches ones fancy...that is more than just a little sad. Equally as sad as not voting simply because you don't like the artist.

jabberjaws13

megsck wrote:i am actually getting the rest of the day off and driving back home today where they have even better tacos, small town tacos beat la tacos any day.

i have to strongly disagree with you. i had the unfortunate opportunity of working in most of america's small towns for 4 years. the kind of town where you have to drive 30-40 minutes away just to find a roach infested motel. many of those had a gas station, a mexican restaurant, and a subway or mcd's.

believe me when i say, the aftermath of taco bell was a upgrade to these small town dives. either that or they are so americanized it's not even mexican anymore.

i'm sure there are gems out there, but i'll stick with big city food carts/trucks.

Happy Beer.

joshuajmasters

Re: High School Scientific Method

This is a cute idea.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
jabberjaws13 wrote:wth!!!! your parents need to be beaten.

edit: wait aren't you a limey brit? maybe that's why.... no camping weather just gloom and gray. =)

Marshmallows in the UK are also somewhat different from the ones typically used for toasting in the States (at least such was the case in my experiences growing up on both sides of the pond.)

As a vegetarian, marshmallows are something I had to give up on for quite some time. They make an excellent vegan variety, but I have not yet attempted to toast them. At least for s'mores and rice krispy treats, I discovered gelatin-free marshmallow fluff ...

jabberjaws13

odysseyroc wrote:It's aji, it's a sauce that you find in Peruvian restaruants. I've recently become obsessed with the Peruvian dish, tallarin saltado, so I decided to make some this weekend and thought I'd make some aji to go along with it.

don't think i've ever had peruvian food. maybe i'll seek some out this weekend.

anyone know a good/recommendable peruvian restaurant in chicago?

[athough i am really craving tacos now from my secret joint]

Happy Beer.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Feline Intelligence

He could have just asked Ceiling Cat to cut the string. lol

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:i have to strongly disagree with you. i had the unfortunate opportunity of working in most of america's small towns for 4 years. the kind of town where you have to drive 30-40 minutes away just to find a roach infested motel. many of those had a gas station, a mexican restaurant, and a subway or mcd's.

believe me when i say, the aftermath of taco bell was a upgrade to these small town dives. either that or they are so americanized it's not even mexican anymore.

i'm sure there are gems out there, but i'll stick with big city food carts/trucks.

Speaking of food carts, I was in downtown LA on monday and got one of those bacon wrapped hotdogs with the avocado pico de gallo and crema. Oh man, I was in pizza-face paradise.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Probably Not Cute Enough

Give it some stripes. :P

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
sacrerouge wrote:I don't know about you, but staples will staple you. If your finger is in the wrong place, you will be stapled

My brother accidentally stapled his shoe to his foot with a construction staplegun a long time ago. The Drs at the ER used vicegrips to pull it out.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Damn you all for making me crave tacos so badly. I'm going to see 'Machete' tonight, and feel like some good Mexican food would be the perfect accompaniment.

NYC is generally considered a mecca for all things culinary, but decent tacos seems to be something this city is sorely lacking. Any Wooters know where a guy might find some great, cheap, vegetarian tacos in these parts, or am I stuck trying to make my own?

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Galileo has Cojones

@iloveschocobos Thanks! When it came down to it, I just thought the reference was lost without the tower.

odysseyroc

jabberjaws13 wrote:don't think i've ever had peruvian food. maybe i'll seek some out this weekend.

anyone know a good/recommendable peruvian restaurant in chicago?

[athough i am really craving tacos now from my secret joint]

I've never been there, but there's a place called Taste of Peru is supposed to be pretty good. It was featured on Drive-ins Diners & Dives.

jstjred

AdderXYU wrote:Reform must come with a wholly different vote method.

Honestly curious what you think about this Adder...

Do you think a weighted vote based on number of actual woots is a valid voting method?

Problems I would see from this are obviously the disenfranchising of newer people (like myself) because our vote is only a fraction of the votes for people actually willing to buy everything that woot prints.

Or weighted averages based on derby wins, vs. what you voted with a nice little "did this person actually buy this shirt" factor in for good measure.

To be clear, I'm not the biggest fan of how hard edged you are on lots of things...but at least I appreciate it a little because I don't always know every copyright violation out there, and I couldn't really tell someone what parody was vs. reference, or plagiarism. Sure you always take it too far, but I'm always guilty of that with things I'm passionate about myself, so I can not like it...but can't fault you on it.

So you are passionate about it, what is the fix? Because your suggestion seems to already be in place with a rejectionator. (You don't agree with the rejectionator about everything obviously...so the inherent flaw is manifested.) Should there be a board of wootstaffers made up of loyal wootees comprising of wootartists and wootbuyers with at least half a dozen whatthepoopisawoots for good measure? Checks 'n balances?

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Nothing may beat the monkey, but doesn't mean you can't just for fun.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

I seriously don't know how you do it. It would have taken me five hours just to draw that monkey!!!

Come on, baby, FOG!!! :D (i love this shirt)

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

odysseyroc

endangeredomega wrote:Damn you all for making me crave tacos so badly. I'm going to see 'Machete' tonight, and feel like some good Mexican food would be the perfect accompaniment.

NYC is generally considered a mecca for all things culinary, but decent tacos seems to be something this city is sorely lacking. Any Wooters know where a guy might find some great, cheap, vegetarian tacos in these parts, or am I stuck trying to make my own?

I loved Machete!

If you're eating vegetarian, why not just make your own? Potato tacos are pretty otterific...or if your feeling adventurous, Soyrizoâ„¢ and potatoes.