Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

lol I couldn't resist the title... xD

I love carving pumpkins, and while I can’t afford to carve as many this year due to having to put up two month’s rent for a new apartment, I’ve decided to do a few. For my fellow wooters, here is taninniver’s Lunacy done up in pumpkin form. It’s a little sloppy, but I’m proud of it. :D

It looks much better lit up…

I use your run-of-the-mill plastic pumpkin carving kits which you can find at most retail stores. I also use simple whittling tools for the shaving. I don’t use the electronic/motorized carving saws because I feel it takes away from the organic roots of the craft. :/ And I don’t use gloves either; gloves are for pansies lol I think if you’re not losing a few skin cells along the way (pumpkins are acidic O_O) you’re not having fun. xD

[Inserting shameless plug in three…two…one…]If you want to check out what I’ve done with pumpkins recently and in the past, check out my deviantart gallery here.

Neither I nor anyone else made any type of profit from this pumpkin. All props and kudos go to the wonderful taninniver, whom I miss seeing in the derbies terribly. D:

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Cool beans! You're a pumpkim maestro!
And Yeah, there's been a bit of lamenting over tanniniver's absence recently. I did love Lunacy. It had a great, disturbing vibe to it.

winnie71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages winnie71

That is so well done! My husband and I are getting better each year carving our pumpkins. We will have to try a woot design this year-thanks for the idea. Will def post here if we do!

Draug

Ooh, yes, I want to see more pumpkins! lol It would be cool if others carved. I know someone did one last year of that mario piranha plant...er, Spicy Meatball, I think it's called? (I actually got that shirt in a random recently lol)

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

otterific job, Draug! You are super tallented . +I checked out your DA gallery and was equally impressed.

I'm sure I will be posting some pics here closer to Halloween. I'm not very good at carving pumpkins, but I really love doing it .

*edit*This post was the first time I've ever had the a-word changed to otterific. Monumental occasion.

laurafoy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurafoy
Draug wrote:Ooh, yes, I want to see more pumpkins! lol It would be cool if others carved. I know someone did one last year of that mario piranha plant...er, Spicy Meatball, I think it's called? (I actually got that shirt in a random recently lol)

That was my handiwork! No new woot-kins this year though.

gossamerica

quality posts: 19 Private Messages gossamerica

Draug -- Lunacy has a lot of fine detail and would be very hard to translate to a pumpkin -- I think you did a zombtastic job!

Last year I got a little woot-happy with my pumpkins, and did three carvings based on woot shirts (click any picture to see larger):

Grim Optimism by ramyb

The squirrel didn't come out so hot...

Late Halloween Night by Josephus

Didn't do the original justice.

Pumpkin and Ghost by Shigwarm

This pumpkin is my favorite of the three.

Same deal as with Draug -- no profit came from this pumpkin (other than the joy of seeing people's reactions), and all credit for the designs go to the original designers.

And as you can see from the rest of our photos, we did a few other designs, too. Maybe someday I'll upload our photos from previous years. And hopefully someday soon I'll decide what to do this year...

(Man, it was a beast getting all of those tags to work properly with links and images.... I hope somebody actually looks at this!)

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
gossamerica wrote:
And as you can see from the rest of our photos, we did a few other designs, too. Maybe someday I'll upload our photos from previous years. And hopefully someday soon I'll decide what to do this year...

did you use a template for the yoda and chewbacca ones?

Happy Beer.

gossamerica

jabberjaws13 wrote:did you use a template for the yoda and chewbacca ones?

Yes and no -- it wasn't a template she found online, but made herself. Our general approach is to find an image we like, then play with it on the computer to turn it into a pattern. Then we print it and transfer it to the pumpkin before carving.

So it's not a truly original design, but more involved than finding a pre-made pattern online. Yeah, it's a trace-job the types of which I condemn on a woot shirt (*ahem* Coffee Man *ahem*), but again, there's no profit involved here. But now that I think about it, we need to find some way to give credit to the originator of the images...

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
gossamerica wrote:Draug -- Lunacy has a lot of fine detail and would be very hard to translate to a pumpkin -- I think you did a fantastic job!

Last year I got a little woot-happy with my pumpkins, and did three carvings based on woot shirts (click any picture to see larger):

Grim Optimism by ramyb

The squirrel didn't come out so hot...

You lose a few points for doing a Ramy design, but you gain a buttload of points for doing the Tiger and Lion from Kenya. XD

Forget Norway! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Draug, your pumpkins are amazing! I'm tickled to see the Outlaw Star logo, and I LOVE the Trogdor!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
gossamerica wrote:Yes and no -- it wasn't a template she found online, but made herself. Our general approach is to find an image we like, then play with it on the computer to turn it into a pattern. Then we print it and transfer it to the pumpkin before carving.

So it's not a truly original design, but more involved than finding a pre-made pattern online. Yeah, it's a trace-job the types of which I condemn on a woot shirt (*ahem* Coffee Man *ahem*), but again, there's no profit involved here. But now that I think about it, we need to find some way to give credit to the originator of the images...

i wasn't judging. i was just curious if you guys had mad skills to freehand that chewie one. still cool looking!

Happy Beer.

gossamerica

jabberjaws13 wrote:i wasn't judging. i was just curious if you guys had mad skills to freehand that chewie one. still cool looking!

My wife has freehanded some simpler designs with pretty good results, but we're definitely not that talented!

gossamerica

SailorButterfly wrote:You lose a few points for doing a Ramy design...

Being fairly new to woot, what do people have against Ramy?

gossamerica

I was feeling ambitious, and uploaded photos of all the pumpkins we've ever done to our album. My wife's Gollum seems to be everybody's favorite. I started her on the hobby, and she soon upstaged me.

Draug

Ugh I've been away from this thread too long lol

Thanks for all of your compliments, guys! And other peeps' pumpkins are looking amazing so far!

Maybe I can squeeze in one or two more woot pumpkins before the end of the month since my finances are a bit stabler now. :D

Draug

I’m back with three more pumpkins inspired by woot artists! These will be the last ones from me this season. Rent is due next week. :P lol

This is eHalcyon’s Stop Motion. I like turtles and I wasn’t around for this shirt, so I decided to do it. :D

Unlit…

Lit up! Cool, eh?

Finally, a more recent winner: Drakxxx’s Monster Hunter. (which for some reason woot does not want to link to when I attempt to put the url in the post. :/)

Let’s see it lit up. Huh…kinda looks like a hot mess, doesn’t it? :P

But wait…Let’s turn out the lights and let the monster come out to play. *evil laugh* >:D

I reeeeeeally liked doing this one lol It’s sloppy, but still came out cool.

That’s it from me then. Anyone else in a carving mood? Throw up some pics! :D

danwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danwo
gossamerica wrote:Being fairly new to woot, what do people have against Ramy?

His designs tend to be recycled, and off topic.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Draug wrote:I’m back with three more pumpkins inspired by woot artists! These will be the last ones from me this season. Rent is due next week. :P lol

Finally, a more recent winner: Drakxxx’s Monster Hunter. (which for some reason woot does not want to link to when I attempt to put the url in the post. :/)

Let’s see it lit up. Huh…kinda looks like a hot mess, doesn’t it? :P

But wait…Let’s turn out the lights and let the monster come out to play. *evil laugh* >:D

I reeeeeeally liked doing this one lol It’s sloppy, but still came out cool.

That’s it from me then. Anyone else in a carving mood? Throw up some pics! :D

That is beyond bloody. Thanks for doing a pumpkin up with that!

Draug

Drakxxx wrote:That is beyond bloody. Thanks for doing a pumpkin up with that!

lol You're welcome.

gossamerica

I just found the pumpkin designs I worked on last year -- and discovered two woot shirts that I prepared for pumpkin form, but didn't have a chance to make. Consider yourselves forewarned of more to come...

sefjwm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
gossamerica wrote:
And as you can see from the rest of our photos, we did a few other designs, too.

Ew Ute fan Go BYU! Oh wait we suck this year nvm. Go BCS busters! Much better.

Great designs and some of those look amazing.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

just got done with this last night.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

I've never done a pumpkin carving before (other than the ordinary jack-o-lantern), but I think I'll give it a shot this year. I'm just having so much trouble deciding on a design. I'd love to do some of Drakxxx's stuff, because it's so on-theme. But it's also SO complex! A bit much for a initiate carver.
Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

Draug

paigeg wrote:I've never done a pumpkin carving before (other than the ordinary jack-o-lantern), but I think I'll give it a shot this year. I'm just having so much trouble deciding on a design. I'd love to do some of Drakxxx's stuff, because it's so on-theme. But it's also SO complex! A bit much for a initiate carver.
Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

If you can't carve that well, try shaving. That's what I did for Drakxxx's Monster Hunter above. It's all shaved. Simple wood carving tools work great, and you can use an Exacto-knife to outline the areas in the rind that need to be shaved so that it helps to keep the tools from going over the lines in a sudden burst of shaving strength lol. It doesn't work 100% but it is a definite help. It's how I was able to add the little details and do the small spaces.

Draug

megsck wrote:just got done with this last night.

I am jealous of your shaving capabilities. So smooth...I wanna stroke it. o_o lol

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Draug wrote:I am jealous of your shaving capabilities. So smooth...I wanna stroke it. o_o lol

i used modeling tools, for clay sculpting. when i get home i can take a picture of the two that i used. my fingers hurt like hell after doing this, took me two hours >_<

im gonna leave that stroking comment alone, haha =)

EDIT: also, about the smoothness, i ran water over it after i was done and GENTLY dried it off. got rid of all the extra pulp and rehydrated it at the same time!

Draug

megsck wrote:

im gonna leave that stroking comment alone, haha =)

EDIT: also, about the smoothness, i ran water over it after i was done and GENTLY dried it off. got rid of all the extra pulp and rehydrated it at the same time!

Good idea. Let the comment lay... lol

I do the water thing too! ^_^ It helps freshen up the design although sometimes it makes taking a picture difficult because the water shines in the line. *grumble grumble* xD

beammedown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beammedown
Draug wrote:I am jealous of your shaving capabilities. So smooth...I wanna stroke it. o_o lol

so wrong... so very wrong ..*giggle*

No pumpkins for me this year :/ can't even afford halloween candies for the kids.. blah

homestarrunner21

quality posts: 2 Private Messages homestarrunner21
sefjwm wrote:Ew Ute fan Go BYU! Oh wait we suck this year nvm. Go BCS busters! Much better.

Pssh, BYU's just having a bad year. Next year, we will be so much better!

The Spiderman pumpkin looks amazing.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Pre-carving, some feline curiosity cuteness. Look, cats really DO sit in pumpkins!;)

Vote!

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd share too! I based mine on What's Under The Bed. I did a light sketch on the pumpkin and then ended up doing most of it free hand :-P I'm happy with it, although the moon looks more like a wheel of cheese or a giant tumor growing out of his head...

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

Draug

jasneko wrote:Pre-carving, some feline curiosity cuteness. Look, cats really DO sit in pumpkins!;)

kawaii!

My cats aren't too fond of pumpkins. They're prissy things. :P lol

Draug

katfin25 wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd share too! I based mine on What's Under The Bed. I did a light sketch on the pumpkin and then ended up doing most of it free hand :-P I'm happy with it, although the moon looks more like a wheel of cheese or a giant tumor growing out of his head...

Ooh, I really like those tentacles, especially the background ones. And cheese is good! xD

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
Draug wrote:Ooh, I really like those tentacles, especially the background ones. And cheese is good! xD

haha thanks! I am very impressed with your mad carving skills, seriously those pumpkins are amazing!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

jasneko

Draug wrote:kawaii!

My cats aren't too fond of pumpkins. They're prissy things. :P lol

hehe thanks. I was actually amazed because they just jumped right in themselves, sniffing around, giving little nibbles, switching pumpkins... I totally *expected* them to be prissy, as the inside of a pumpkin is a bit on the moist side, but they surprised me:D

Vote!

Draug

jasneko wrote:hehe thanks. I was actually amazed because they just jumped right in themselves, sniffing around, giving little nibbles, switching pumpkins... I totally *expected* them to be prissy, as the inside of a pumpkin is a bit on the moist side, but they surprised me:D

lol On the one pumpkin with your black cat in it, the two little blemishes make the pumpkin look like:

o_O "Why is there a cat in my braaaaaain?!"

jasneko

Draug wrote:lol On the one pumpkin with your black cat in it, the two little blemishes make the pumpkin look like:

o_O "Why is there a cat in my braaaaaain?!"

hahaha you're right! Pretty funny

Vote!

gossamerica

Draug -- Monster Hunter = way cool.

Megsck -- Nosferatu is giving me nightmares, it's so creepy. I think it's even better in pumpkin form than in shirt form. It reminds me of something you'd see in one of those cheesy old EC horror comics.

katfin25 wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd share too! I based mine on What's Under The Bed. I did a light sketch on the pumpkin and then ended up doing most of it free hand :-P I'm happy with it, although the moon looks more like a wheel of cheese or a giant tumor growing out of his head...

I love it. It took me awhile to figure out what it reminded me of (Kodos and Kang from the Simpsons? Bob from Monsters vs. Aliens? No), but I finally got it. One of the creatures in Monsters Inc. heads toward the door with tentacles flailing. I can't find a picture and I'm sure it really looks nothing like it, but that's what it reminded me of. Bravo.

sefjwm wrote:Ew Ute fan Go BYU! Oh wait we suck this year nvm. Go BCS busters! Much better.

homestarrunner21 wrote:Pssh, BYU's just having a bad year. Next year, we will be so much better!

The Spiderman pumpkin looks amazing.

I was going to say "much better shouldn't be too hard", but that would be off topic. No, actually I'm still stinging from TCU. I think that BYU kidnapped Utah, brainwashed them, and switched uniforms with them. But hey, at least your basketball team has already decided it will go undefeated this year ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm glad you enjoyed my designs. I wish I could take full credit for Spidey. I got the pattern from www.carvingpumpkins.com (now have to pay for access, sadly). It was my first time shaving a pumpkin, and still probably my favorite.

Coming in a few minutes (as soon as I get the formatting right...this year's pumpkins!

gossamerica

Under the optimistic assumption that anybody will still be checking this forum, here they are, Mr. and Mrs. Gossamerica's pumpkin.woot! 2010. I had these designed last year but never got around to carving them. (I have one other shirt that I selected last year, but haven't converted to a pumpkin design yet, but that will have to wait another year.)

Without further ado:

Candy Corn Cannibalism by goldfishinapicklejar

This shirt still cracks me up (even though I hate candy corn)! Sadly, most people couldn't figure out that my little guys were candy corn (needed a third color, probably should have left the top solid with an outline), but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Those eyes were murder!

Panda Polo by duneboo

Okay, this isn't really a Halloween design, but I thought it was hilarious and needed to be pumpkinized. Most casual viewers could figure out the panda, but few caught the polo. That's what I get for choosing obscure subject matter, I guess.

If you enjoyed those, take a look at my photo album to see all of our pumpkins. New designs this year include How to Train Your Dragon, Magical Trevor 4, and a tribute to Scouting. And you can see everything else I've done over the years.

I already have a slew of ideas for next year -- but after all of that peeling, I'm hoping to come up with more designs that just require cutting! Enjoy!