the1manofmega

quality posts: 1 Private Messages the1manofmega

Ha its a little joke because Mario's child dose exist.
I wonder what he would look like as an adult. owell

'Time to Spread my Creativity because its allays 420 in Wayne's World. Yay!'

CupPie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CupPie
volto wrote:He looks like he ate a weber grill.

Specifically this grill:

Love that mac laptop cover parody too, best looking mac I've ever seen.

wolfwoodxlv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfwoodxlv
biotwist wrote:I wanted to print this on cream but i was told wooters don't like cream

http://www.threadless.com/submission/274066/the_Son_of_Manio/showmore,designs

sully51

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sully51
biotwist wrote:I wanted to print this on cream but i was told wooters don't like cream

Wooters complain about every colour. There aren't many options, so you really can't win no matter what colour you choose.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
AdderXYU wrote:and childs will be left-behind-ed

Thats bad gramer rite they're.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

dfaris

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dfaris

So how is this not infringing on Nintendo's trademark? If this were in a derby, wouldn't it be completely rejected?

gamefreak137

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gamefreak137
frantix wrote:Because using an "R" would make it an easier lawsuit?

It's because "Son of Manio" fits the t-shirt's reference to the original painting "Son of Man"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man_%28Magritte%29

I can haz woot?!

dpbowl842

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dpbowl842

A sign the economy is down? A Mario shirt isn't sold out.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
dfaris wrote:So how is this not infringing on Nintendo's trademark? If this were in a derby, wouldn't it be completely rejected?

It's not infringing on nintendo's trademark because the face is covered. By which I mean it totally still is but woot decided it would not only sell well, but be unlikely to bring a lawsuit.

Sadly, this is what people think art and design is now. It's not going to change unless the consumers and the artists fight it strongly, and there is no sign that either faction cares much to change things.

dfaris

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dfaris
AdderXYU wrote:It's not infringing on nintendo's trademark because the face is covered. By which I mean it totally still is but woot decided it would not only sell well, but be unlikely to bring a lawsuit.

Sadly, this is what people think art and design is now. It's not going to change unless the consumers and the artists fight it strongly, and there is no sign that either faction cares much to change things.

Even if you are correct that obscuring the face of Mario is enough to prevent him from being an infringement, the design and shape of the mushroom, the design and shape of the star in the frame, as well as the fire flower are clear knock-offs, and they'd be enough to get a derby entry bounced, that's for sure.

arixol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arixol

wow this shirt is dumb.

topbillin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topbillin
RaveDroid wrote:I'd sort of like to see more sky AND ocean behind him, that seemed to be a rather prominent aspect of the original work.

The ocean has been replaced by a sewer-pipe. It's a comment on offshore drilling.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
dfaris wrote:Even if you are correct that obscuring the face of Mario is enough to prevent him from being an infringement, the design and shape of the mushroom, the design and shape of the star in the frame, as well as the fire flower are clear knock-offs, and they'd be enough to get a derby entry bounced, that's for sure.

For the wrong person, yes. For other people, woot would keep it in the derby. There is BLATANT star wars and star trek infringement in the current fog that didn't get rejected. Woot is inconsistent.

I am all for people fighting against this inconsistency, but first we have to realize: this would DEFINITELY not be a guaranteed rejection. Not because it isn't rejectobait. Not because this sort of pop culture work is worthy or creative or original. But simply because woot doesn't respect their artists enough to have any form of standards as to what stays and what goes, and almost always sways their judgment in favor of the designs or designers that least deserve a pass.

The fact is that people condone this. I am the last person to say that that makes it right. But the fact is that we are totally in the minority. We must fight, but we must fight knowing that the average designer and average customer is not on our side. Greed is power. Any working knowledge of history knows greed brings collapse. But greed also holds on bloodily to itself.

filmgal79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filmgal79
Assassin15 wrote:Maybe I'm stupid and I'm not getting something important, but why is it Manio?

Uhhhhh, because "Son of Manio" is an adaptation of the painting "Son of Man." Thought this was already covered?!?

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
wolfwoodxlv wrote:http://www.threadless.com/submission/274066/the_Son_of_Manio/showmore,designs

I usually prefer brown to cream, but for this design, I think it looks much better on cream. It has to do with the colors used in the actual design. The gold color used here doesn't look good with the brown. The main reason I don't like cream is because when used with certain colors, it can make the design look washed-out. Also depending on the kind of shirt used, it can be see-through. White and black are my least favorite shirt colors though.

I like the design, but I think I'm going to wait until I see how it prints. With it being a Mario design, I'm hoping it'll stay in the reckoning long enough for someone to post a pic.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

Well, I, for one, am pleased to have snuck in just under the line. Seems like a lot of fuss over a video game shirt with an obvious art reference. ?__? I'm going to wear it and be happy.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201

Did anybody receive this shirt yet? I want to see a pic!

k2daz3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages k2daz3
kc6201 wrote:Did anybody receive this shirt yet? I want to see a pic!

I still haven't gotten mine yet either. 10 days plus is a bit longer than the usual shipping time. I guess we have to face the fact that woot will never be the same post-Amazon.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

k2daz3 wrote:I still haven't gotten mine yet either. 10 days plus is a bit longer than the usual shipping time. I guess we have to face the fact that woot will never be the same post-Amazon.

Independent subsidiary! They haven't changed our production or shipping. We screw up just fine on our own!

Wait....that didn't come out right.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

johncreillyphile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncreillyphile

---------------------------------

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24153

---------------------------------