traviswho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages traviswho

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone - I had fun with this design, especially the colors, and I'm glad many of you like it even though I put it on a lemon shirt ; )

skål

Nessanagirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nessanagirl
tico0001 wrote:yeah these two entries are a little too similar... I looked at them side by side, and they just look like it's ONE artist presenting different versions of the same design. Down to the "1-leg look" of the forelegs...

~Tico

ditto. I saw the cow design first and later found this design. I had assumed they were by the same artist b/c there are drastic similarities...you should've made a point of making your design more unique by at least using a different color scheme.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Unicorn Steakhouse

Awesome, it made the fog, here's hoping for a vote surge before the vote cut off

smoke52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smoke52

I want it!

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66
Nessanagirl wrote:ditto. I saw the cow design first and later found this design. I had assumed they were by the same artist b/c there are drastic similarities...you should've made a point of making your design more unique by at least using a different color scheme.

shirt is navy not brown, outline is red not orange, text is white not black. so not sure why everyeone thinks this is the same thing besides its a unicorn not a cow :P

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
kschlege wrote:I don't think the other one got rejected because it's a picture of someone dressed like a butcher, so it's meat related. So I'm guessing SW doesn't think this is meat related?

So, Machete sporting chef's knives, salt, pepper, tongs, steak knives... Not meat related? That'll teach me to remember to link to a bigger comp.

paigeg

Re: TEXAS CHAINSAW BBQ

As SOON as possible, I want to see this up for vote at Threadless, WITH the menu back print.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
mindputtee wrote:It's rather unclear from the silhouette that that is intended to be SPAM, I think without your comment this wouldn't make as much sense.

I was really torn on what to do about the spam. I thought it made sense evolution-wise, but there isn't any real distinguishing feature to it, other than it's squareness. My other idea was to use a hamburger, but that didn't work as well in the concept.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: falcondog

Even if the falcon got the hot dog, do you think he could eat it all?

shinobamoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinobamoon
Re: Brains, The Other White Meat

these derbies need more entries and wins like this, each week feels like the same regurgitated crap

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Spiritgreen wrote:Oh no, I thought this was a top 3 design for sure.

Me, too

IndependentVik

BootsBoots wrote:Heh! I was thinking unicorn meat would look kind of like tuna, but puffier and shinier.

Heh, I immediately thought of canned tuna when I saw this one

downsideup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages downsideup

I really want this shirt and am glad to see it fog! Hopefully there isn't a huge gap between it and the leaders.

downsideup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages downsideup
Re: By Your Powers Combined!

As much as hot dogs are not a part of my diet, stylistically I love this shirt and the caricatures of each animal.

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
Re: Mutton Lettuce and Tomato (resub)

It'll take a miracle to print now.

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
llklocke wrote:I like the concept, but it just doesn't feel very magical to me. I wouldn't have get the connection to the magic school bus without the title...and even though it was a bit of a reach. I really do like the concept. Keep your stuff coming, though man. You are very talented and I was like seeing what you create every week.

Riiiiight. I got the connection right away. Maybe you should check your connectors.

Also, I just tried the lengua for the first time. It tastes like beef, but there's also something else in there that I can't compare the flavor to.

cofor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cofor
Re: Nice to meat you!

Awesome design! Voted.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
downsideup wrote:I really want this shirt and am glad to see it fog! Hopefully there isn't a huge gap between it and the leaders.

It was out of the fog for a little bit there but then I voted. :D Looks like it's fighting with the turkey. That's the one that took it's place and that's the one that left the fog when I voted.... hmmmm wonder what that means.

paigeg

midgerock wrote:I see your point as it being a trademark but woah there killer, when did we walk into a discussion about "willy wonkin'"?

Um - the euphemistic phrase, 'beating the meat' is the reference. You mean, you didn't intend the entendre? I'm actually disappointed!

paigeg

mpsorens wrote:Well, I hope I can have more luck next derby. Wher can I find how to do the color fade with the dotes. I think If I emphased the picture with a background I could have done better. People really like color here. my picture looked to fake with the colors I added. I wish I knew how to blend.

It's called a halftone, and strongly discouraged by Woot, yet widely used. There are a number of helpful threads with advice, tutorials, etc., here.
But, I liked your drawing as-is.

paigeg

pickabattle wrote:Anybody have any feedback for me on this design? I'd really appreciate the help. I wasn't sure about the color combination (cranberry / lemon). Also, I wasn't sure whether to color in the individual elements or not. I started to and then scrapped it in lieu of this version. Thanks!

I'm still learning, myself, but I'll take a shot.
I think this is composed nicely, and I like the choice of shirt color. If I'm not going to use black lines, I like dark colors like navy, a dark green, brown... Cranberry wouldn't have been my first choice, but it looks good.
To color this, you'd have to remove some of your shadning, and beef up your linework quite a bit first. This would probably look great with a faded, muted color scheme and some halftoning for the shading. I don't think you'd want to go for full-blown saturated colors.
My opinion, fwiw.

makena29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makena29

How is this not in the top 9???? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a baconoctopus shirt for the last week and I'm going to be crushed if I can't get one.

IndependentVik

Re: It's Mystery Meat My Dear Watson

Well done! I really like your execution of this idea.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Oh wow, I did not expect to see this in the fog today!

Thank you SO much for the support everyone! I'm super happy people liked this design ^^. I think he might have been too late for a print, but I was thrilled to see him trot up to the top 10! Thank you thank you thank you! :D

Let us raise our glasses full of meat juice and rejoice for the meat derby!

IndependentVik

Re: Hot Dog's Identity Crisis

I'm glad Adder pointed out the hah-hahs, b/c I assumed the list was real ingredients. Funny stuff

dewacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dewacker
Re: What do you call a cow...

hehe ... steak love it!

meatcircus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meatcircus
bassanimation wrote:Oh wow, I did not expect to see this in the fog today!

Thank you SO much for the support everyone! I'm super happy people liked this design ^^. I think he might have been too late for a print, but I was thrilled to see him trot up to the top 10! Thank you thank you thank you! :D

Let us raise our glasses full of meat juice and rejoice for the meat derby!

WHAT?!?!?
This sucks. I had my finger hovering over the mouse button with the pointer hovering over the exact spot where the "buy button" would appear in my browser as soon as this shirt went up for sale.

=(

IgnatiusRiley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

I hope you guys submit this to Threadless, or TeeFury, or any one of those shirt sites that actually print quality stuff.

hmr809

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmr809
parrotworks wrote:Not sure what happened. My colors came out a bit darker on this monitor. grrr. May need to resub when I have time.

I think it makes it look more ominous Nice design.

IndependentVik

Count me in as a fan of the text. Not sure I'll vote for it, but if it prints I might be tempted to pick it up on the first day . . .

thefold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thefold

Congratulations on winning a Favorite Design Award on The Fold!
This is not SPAM.
We want your shirt to print really bad
We are giving you free publicity to your design and that is all we can offer... for now

IndependentVik

Re: The Toughest Cuts of Meat

Epic. Your little characters have so much personality. +1 from me, for sure.

IndependentVik

Re: Tenderizer

Voted for sure. Really like the white halftones up top.

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
Re: TEXAS CHAINSAW BBQ

This design is zombtastic. My daughter would sooooo love this one. Good luck; hope it prints!

EDIT: zombtastic, really?

tatsuman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatsuman
sTyLeS wrote:It doesn't look like this was modified at all from your Prehistoric Art derby sub http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=45474

This entry (indeed a re-submit) could have used some improvement from the initial concept, which wasn't bad at all.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
Re: Hot Dog's Identity Crisis

:D I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed the part in the back that says "tiny bit of poop". The Chork and Purkey was a nice touch too!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Feel The Burn (resubbed 2.0)

Thanks for the comments. ^__^

I'm strangely fond of this design, unloved though it is. Or maybe that feeling is hunger.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Bad time to point out that the 'oyster' bits are a little further back? That bit that hangs down is the male-bit, but not the 'oyster' bit.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kc6201

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
grayehound wrote:I am pretty surprised at the reaction to this. I think of it as being very anti-McD, and I never got creepy from it. I guess I need to pay closer attention to that stuff next time. Thanks for the conveys everyone!

If you don't see the creep factor, what about the design signals "anti-McDonalds"?

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Baconoctopus

It would be a crime for this not to get an HM. I hope you get a second chance!