WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Some things just GO together, y'know? PB & J, Bert & Ernie, and New Year's Day and 4,000 college bowl games no one cares about and will continue to refuse to care about until they get off their stupid corporate welfare and implement a playoff system. Oh and colors. Complementary colors. So for this week your design must be made of two colors paired up in the list below. Before you freak out: no, the shirt color doesn't count. So yes, Mr. Smarty Pants cracking your knuckles in the forums, technically it could be a three color Derby And we don't care, because we make the rules up as we go, so get over it. Now for the rules:

• Your design MUST be comprised of ONE of the following color combinations: blue & orange, yellow & violet, or red & green. No black & white, Mr. I'll Just Make It Look Classy.
  • No video games.
  • No Star Wars.
  • No text.
  • You MUST use two ink colors, and ONLY two ink colors. It can be a shade of blue and a shade of orange, though. Don't sweat trying to perfectly match the standard "blue."
  • Yes, your shirt can be a third color.

And of course, our still-possibly-new-to-a-few-people art guidelines for all submissions from here on out:
  • If you're using Photoshop, make certain that your halftones are at least 30 LPI for a full-size design at 300 DPI.
  • If you're using Illustrator, please submit your final art with gradients. We'll create the halftones on our end.
  • Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.

Quality Posts

lumpyspaceprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyspaceprincess

I thought it would be new years, but sweet this is interesting enough!

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

Hmmm...
I think I more prefer the specific theme derbies. Makes it easier for me to come up with a topic. When it's wide open like this I'm sure some people love it cause they can go crazy, but I personally need a little more direction.

EDIT:
Caution: Rumble Zone

GargalorThorkiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GargalorThorkiller

Wow, only two colors. I'm thinking halftones will be used ALOT.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

This is a great non theme derby... well for colors anyway. Should be fun!

Although, I noticed bunnys are allowed again, DAMN YOU WOOT! *shakes fist at screen in rage*

sTyLeS

lkackman wrote:This is a great non theme derby... well for colors anyway. Should be fun!

Although, I noticed bunnys are allowed again, DAMN YOU WOOT! *shakes fist at screen in rage*

Yeah, and blue-and-orange bunnies look stoopid too.

lumpyspaceprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyspaceprincess
sTyLeS wrote:Yeah, and blue-and-orange bunnies look stoopid too.

Ur such a hater styles!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Neat. I have the afternoon off, maybe I can come up with an idea.

sTyLeS

lumpyspaceprincess wrote:Ur such a hater styles!

But orange-and-blue bunnies on the other hand... ;)

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Neato . I have an older idea that would work well for this. I've always loooooved the combo of orange and blue. Reminds me of the beginning of sunset.

pickabattle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickabattle

I agree that wide-open derbies like this make it more challenging to come up with an idea, but that's kind of why I like it. I like seeing the scope of creativity that appears with this kind of competition.

One question, though...the rules mention not needing to match the "standard blue", for example. Are we allowed to pick other shades of blue and orange, and Woot will match them to the correct Pantone colors? I, for example, don't have access to a list of the Pantone colors...so do we just pick something and hope for the best or what?

meaglovin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meaglovin

You guys really need to get over your cats. Don't you realize, that cats don't like you? Yea, sure, they will cuddle with you, cause they are cold, but then they will turn around and scratch the Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)outta you.

Be a little more creative guys, I know you can.

britdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages britdude

This could be good...but could also be pretty boring.

We will see!

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH

I'm looking forward to Walmazan's submission(s) this week, because he ROCKS at 2 color shirts!

shaggster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaggster

I looking forward to this derby i hope some people do some hilarious random stuff

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Great color combos! Blue/orange is very trendy and with the right shirt color choice you could do an RGB or almost a CMYK.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

bjanele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjanele

Isn't it complementary colors?

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

I really wish we could use one analogous color per complimentary color, but the rules are the rules. I've got several ideas bouncing around, but right now I'm thinking Navy shirt, medium blue, and neon orange.

This could be a great derby for doing stuff with negative space. hmm...

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

Will there be a tertiary color derby one day? :D

*hopeful*

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
bjanele wrote:Isn't it complementary colors?

Yes you are right. Good eye!

"Complimentary" means expressing a compliment; praising or approving.

"Complementary" means (of two or more different things) Combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize each other's qualities. Complementary colors.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

I'm thinking there won't be a lot of red/green designs just now, unless it's actually a take on RedGreen.
And violet/yellow? Bleecchhhh.
Why do I have the feeling Woot picked the most eye-bleeding combos they could think of?
>sigh< I think I sit out - again. Unless some inspirational lightning strikes.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
paigeg wrote:I'm thinking there won't be a lot of red/green designs just now, unless it's actually a take on RedGreen.
And violet/yellow? Bleecchhhh.
Why do I have the feeling Woot picked the most eye-bleeding combos they could think of?
>sigh< I think I sit out - again. Unless some inspirational lightning strikes.

Just a little explanation of why Woot chose the colors they did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_color

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I wonder how often artists recycle works that have been tabled for a bit when a WIDE open derby like this pops up!

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
thatrobert wrote:Just a little explanation of why Woot chose the colors they did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_color

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Very important if you are doing halftones in Illustrator

Until our team gets back from vacation I can't edit the above guidelines -- the best I can do is add this disclaimer. If you are using Illustrator and intend to do halftones your preview image should show halftones. Your final submitted art should just have gradients, as stated above. We'll do our best to get those rules cleared up as soon as possible, so until then spread the word!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

...wondering how long it'll take someone to do a Freddy Kruger design...

Me, not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe something with hidden images...

EDIT: Someone needs to do something kick butt in false red/green 3D!!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
lumpyspaceprincess wrote:I thought it would be new years, but sweet this is interesting enough!

With Woot not printing/shipping anything until the 4th of January, people would not get their shirts until after the holiday. At least here we got something that will be wearable after the holidays are over (hopefully, unless it's argyle XMAS patterns on a shirt)

zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard

I really like this derby. Should be a lot of really creative entries...hopefully. I've got something cooking in sketches, we'll have to see how well it translates to a shirt though...

spratman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spratman

I'm thinking we might see alotta ying-yang based designs.

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

this would be a resub changes to facial expressions, background and well color of course :P let me know what you think and or what i could do to make it better
thanks

not sure why picture is not working here is the location for it http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/manikx/version3-2tone.jpg

paigeg

thatrobert wrote:Just a little explanation of why Woot chose the colors they did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_color

Oh, I understand complementary colors. But there's 'complementary', and there's 'I can't stand to look at it!'. There's a reason Wolverine wears a darker shade than true violet.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
paigeg wrote:There's a reason Wolverine wears a darker shade than true violet.

Which is why we're allowed to use shades of colors, yay. :D

paigeg

manikx66 wrote:this would be a resub changes to facial expressions, background and well color of course :P let me know what you think and or what i could do to make it better
thanks

not sure why picture is not working here is the location for it http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/manikx/version3-2tone.jpg

Looks like Woot's image caching is offline again.
Nice! Way to blow my 'blechhh' out of the water right off the get-go.

paigeg

Misskari wrote:Which is why we're allowed to use shades of colors, yay. :D

Thank the Powers that Be! :

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

I've got a pretty good idea, but no time to execute. Here's the brief concept:

here's the link until Woot's image caching comes back:
http://i.imgur.com/IPyEL.jpg

I call it "Mixed Signals." Basically, it's a murderous set of traffic signals.

To do it right I think it needs a LOT of halftone work. Make the green glow, use red to give the fixtures around the lights some highlights/ominous tones, etc. Do the red and yellow signals in just the right shade of red but with different halftones to give the appearance of different colors.

Anyway, the execution is way beyond my abilities. But if Oddyseyroc or somebody else sees potential in it, please feel free to have it. I think it'd make a pretty cool design.

spratman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spratman
manikx66 wrote:this would be a resub changes to facial expressions, background and well color of course :P let me know what you think and or what i could do to make it better
thanks

I'm thinking you could lose the horizon line, the yellow ripples and the yellow in the splash if you made the splash a little more detailed and showed some more substantial ripples in purple. Maybe put some blue in the splash instead of the yellow. That would simplify the design and put more emphasis on the narwhals. Also a different purple, more towards the blue spectrum. IMHO of course.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
bjanele wrote:Isn't it complementary colors?

I think that's a play on words.

I hope that's a play on words.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

Orange + Blue = U of Illinois = I can wear it to the college football bowl games that woot describes in the description! Yay!

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

here is my idea so far... still a bit of tweaking left to go and not sure yet on colors but these are just what I am working with untill the piece is done

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
kaseyfleming wrote:here is my idea so far... still a bit of tweaking left to go and not sure yet on colors but these are just what I am working with untill the piece is done

That's quite beatiful. Reminds me of tinkerbell for some reason. Is it a fairy and will you be adding wings?