Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I've been thinking about a Victorian parody of the Tron Legacy poster.

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
midgerock wrote:That's quite beatiful. Reminds me of tinkerbell for some reason. Is it a fairy and will you be adding wings?

Thanks! I don't think I will be adding wings. It's a woman either fishing for or already accepting compliments for the complementary derby:P

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Spiritgreen wrote:I've been thinking about a Victorian parody of the Tron Legacy poster.

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

Nice

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

Just working on something happy and lighthearted.

edit: That's cool, SG. :D

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
Spiritgreen wrote:

I love where you're going with this!

Spiritgreen

Thanks! I'll give it my best shot.

Edit: MissKari, love your fist-bump handover of the Year of the Tiger to 2011's Year of the Dragon. Sweet.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Spiritgreen wrote:I've been thinking about a Victorian parody of the Tron Legacy poster.

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

I think skektek might think it looked quite similar to something he made for a Tron Legacy contest on facebook.

edit: not that you could have seen it.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Not quite clear from the writeup...
Can there only be 2 ink colors? Or are varying intensities of the same colors allowed, like consecutive pantones? Dark blue, medium blue, light blue, but all the same shade of blue.
Also, could the shirt color be used as one of the complimentary colors? Like could it be purple and white ink on a yellow shirt?
Lots more possibilities if those kinds of things were allowed, but not sure it they are.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
jewelwing wrote:Not quite clear from the writeup...
Can there only be 2 ink colors? Or are varying intensities of the same colors allowed, like consecutive pantones? Dark blue, medium blue, light blue, but all the same shade of blue.
Also, could the shirt color be used as one of the complimentary colors? Like could it be purple and white ink on a yellow shirt?
Lots more possibilities if those kinds of things were allowed, but not sure it they are.

You MUST use two ink colors, and ONLY two ink colors. It can be a shade of blue and a shade of orange, though. Don't sweat trying to perfectly match the standard "blue."

Yes, your shirt can be a third color.

So, 2 and only 2 ink colors, no more, no less.

As for whether the shirt can be a complementary color or not, my gut says "no, the inks must be the complements," and the nature of the theme would indicate that's the case--but the rules don't explicitly forbid them. Just don't be shocked if that design gets rejected.

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
Misskari wrote:

Just working on something happy and lighthearted.

edit: That's cool, SG. :D

Maybe use a tiger/rabbit as the outgoing/incoming years on the Chinese calendar.

spratman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spratman
kaseyfleming wrote:here is my idea so far... still a bit of tweaking left to go and not sure yet on colors but these are just what I am working with untill the piece is done

I'd lose the lines on the dress or make them more graphic to match the rest of the art. And wings would definitely add to the appeal.

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
kevlar51 wrote:So, 2 and only 2 ink colors, no more, no less.

As for whether the shirt can be a complementary color or not, my gut says "no, the inks must be the complements," and the nature of the theme would indicate that's the case--but the rules don't explicitly forbid them. Just don't be shocked if that design gets rejected.

from da rules..."the shirt color doesn't count"

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yes, it should be two inks and only two inks. The shirt color does not count as one of your complementary colors, those have to be your two inks.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

Instant win!!!!

Doing something kind of weird, or something not kind of weird depending on your perspective. I have an event that starts Fri morning that I have to prep for tonight, but I'm going to try my best to get this thingy up.

Heh. Thingy. :P

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

spratman wrote:I'm thinking you could lose the horizon line, the yellow ripples and the yellow in the splash if you made the splash a little more detailed and showed some more substantial ripples in purple. Maybe put some blue in the splash instead of the yellow. That would simplify the design and put more emphasis on the narwhals. Also a different purple, more towards the blue spectrum. IMHO of course.

so are you saying i should lose all the purple in the background or just have the horizon line fade out to blue? i like the idea of having the yellow in the splash changed to the shirt blue not sure why i didnt think of that :P. thanks for the suggestions

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

Color doodle...Tron Ancestry?

It looks like we're thinking down the same path! Hopefully you won't mind that I'm working on something similar:

Spiritgreen

thatrobert, of course not!

I hope SkekTek won't mind if mine is similar to a design of his. I haven't seen it. I Googled and checked Threadless before starting because I know they had a whole Tron contest not long ago.

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66
manikx66 wrote:

so are you saying i should lose all the purple in the background or just have the horizon line fade out to blue? i like the idea of having the yellow in the splash changed to the shirt blue not sure why i didnt think of that :P. thanks for the suggestions

so do you think this is better ? im still liking the first one more :P

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
manikx66 wrote:so do you think this is better ? im still liking the first one more :P

First one, for sure!

j303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j303

Have a question, can the tee shirt color work as one of the pair colors?, lets say i use a blue tee shirt, can i use orange and green inks?, i mean, i already have the requested blue & orange combination working so can i add a 3rd color of my own choice or the printed inks need to be the matching ones mentioned in the rules? , thanks.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

You mean like this? I did this for the IMAX Tron Legacy contest last week and scored third place.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

This is where I'm heading... I figured the Ying-Yang thing might be overdone this round, so I decided to go down Möbius strip lane.

Not sure if I'll do another dragon or a tiger...

Comments, suggestions?

tfazssburg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfazssburg
bjanele wrote:Isn't it complementary colors?

That's what I thought.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
lkackman wrote:

This is where I'm heading... I figured the Ying-Yang thing might be overdone this round, so I decided to go down Möbius strip lane.

Not sure if I'll do another dragon or a tiger...

Comments, suggestions?

I like the dragon, and the concept as a whole, but I think the left side of the dragon needs to be flatter to better blend with the ribbon.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's what I got

lkackman

SkekTek wrote:I like the dragon, and the concept as a whole, but I think the left side of the dragon needs to be flatter to better blend with the ribbon.

Thanks Skek, on it.

Spiritgreen

SkekTek wrote:You mean like this? I did this for the IMAX Tron Legacy contest last week and scored third place.

Well congrats on that. Guess I'm scrapping the last few hours of work then.

lkackman

odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I got

This has a really warming feel to it... not sure if its nuclear apocalypse warming or just warming.

Also, I like the addition of the shoes on the power line...

jxchen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jxchen
Spiritgreen wrote:Well congrats on that. Guess I'm scrapping the last few hours of work then.

I may be called an ass for saying so, but if you came up with this idea independently, and the other design is not for sale on a shirt, you should be in the clear. People come up with similar ideas all the time.

lilisliph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilisliph

Hi! Comments and criticisms would be welcome!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
theWanker wrote:I've got a pretty good idea, but no time to execute. Here's the brief concept:

here's the link until Woot's image caching comes back:
http://i.imgur.com/IPyEL.jpg

I call it "Mixed Signals." Basically, it's a murderous set of traffic signals.

To do it right I think it needs a LOT of halftone work. Make the green glow, use red to give the fixtures around the lights some highlights/ominous tones, etc. Do the red and yellow signals in just the right shade of red but with different halftones to give the appearance of different colors.

Anyway, the execution is way beyond my abilities. But if Oddyseyroc or somebody else sees potential in it, please feel free to have it. I think it'd make a pretty cool design.

I love your mind. I WISH I had the skill to make your concept work. I'm in late, so I hope someone picked this up!

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I got

I am grovelling at your feet at the same time as I resent your ass for hitting this derby SO hard.

spratman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spratman

Not thrilled, but this is what I have. Poison Dart Frogs

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Spiritgreen wrote:Well congrats on that. Guess I'm scrapping the last few hours of work then.

I wouldn't. How could you have seen that before unless you just happen to go to the same IMAX as him/her...

Great minds will and do think alike. I say run with it since the design was not a t-shirt design and the concept is extremely similar but the designs are entirely different different. The only thing they have in common is the "big wheel small wheel" it seems, but that just an old bike reference.

paigeg

Color doodle:

Tron Ancestry?

That outline/outer glow - whatever - is just too a angular. Smoot it out to reflect the design outine and this is gold.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Looks like I'm not the only one who favors Blue/Orange

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
jxchen wrote:I may be called an ass for saying so, but if you came up with this idea independently, and the other design is not for sale on a shirt, you should be in the clear. People come up with similar ideas all the time.

You're totally the opposite of Walter from the Big Lebowski - you're not an ass, you're just wrong (imho). Those copyright laws are pesky, and they don't care about how pure, innocent and independently derived the thought was. I'm sure it was truly all of those and crappy coincidences occur to people with good ideas all the time.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Spiritgreen

jxchen wrote:I may be called an ass for saying so, but if you came up with this idea independently, and the other design is not for sale on a shirt, you should be in the clear. People come up with similar ideas all the time.

That's nice of you to say, and probably true but I think the concept is too similar to be fair to SkekTek (even if the style would be different).

I'm going to go with my other idea, a cartoony matter/antimatter collision. That'll be fun, but no more time for me tonight! See you guys tomorrow.

Happy drawing! :^)

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

Be on the lookout, barring any changes due to Woot's name length limit. :I

zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard

Here's what I've got. I went with red and green.

in case the concept isn't as clear as I'd like it to be, I'd probably call it something like, "Big Head, Little Arms" or "Why T. Rex is NOT a Painter." If it's still not clear, Mr. T. Rex is trying to paint a still life, but his head is too big to let his lil' arms reach the canvas, so he gets mad, throws his paints down, takes the chicken/turkey/duck out of his still life and leaves a trail of painty footprints.

Comments and suggestions are most appreciated! :D