uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
Re: Early Light

I like the depth with negative space. The birds lend it motion, the sun warmth. Very nice.

uniique

Re: Early Light

oop accidental back-click overpost. can this be deleted pls?

uniique

Re: Unplug

lol. Great concept. No need to kill your tv. Just unplug it and give it a book. +1!

hashimotoyoshio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
evilaelf wrote:If this won, I would feel funny wearing it. I would want to tack it up on my wall or something! Gorgeous!

It's on deviant art. You could order a print... Also, no really, Art is Art - or so I thought. What does woot people feel is "wearable" qualities that they would like to see. Since I'm creating for an audience, I want to know what people like to wear on T-shirts. Not just have as art, to hang on the wall like you say. Thank you by the way.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
michaelevans wrote:February 12th 1809. That fateful day.

In blue and orange

i don't see any orange.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Leahbh wrote:i don't see any orange.

The orange looks brown on my machine.

michaelevans

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaelevans
Leahbh wrote:i don't see any orange.

It's not super-saturated, but to my understanding, this brown is a shade of orange. I guess Woot will make the call. I couldn't bring myself to use anything brighter.

Check out Legend of the Elipsicon! I made it.

tanamu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tanamu
humbert wrote:If it gets rejected, then it does. However, I did try to avoid any actual copyrighted material - no mention of Doctor Who, the word TARDIS, or even the "Police Public Call Box" lettering (which would have been outside the derby's rules anyway).

I do believe I'm well within the guidelines, but as there's no chance of the design winning, it will hardly be the end of the world if the Rejectionator strikes.

Sadly, the BBC has even the image of the Police Box copyrighted, and Woot won't be able to print it unless there is obvious satire in the design.
I love it though and would buy it if it could be printed.

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

Well thank you It's been a little while since I've been around these parts, and I'm afraid I've gotten a little rusty...

uniique

Re: Mythical Cuteness

Those eyes... they pierce my soul
missing my cat of 14 yrs. cats are awesome
gmv!

penichillin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penichillin
Re: Worth two...in the savanna?

My first derby submission. Critiques welcome. Please help me get better.

humbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humbert
tanamu wrote:Sadly, the BBC has even the image of the Police Box copyrighted, and Woot won't be able to print it unless there is obvious satire in the design.
I love it though and would buy it if it could be printed.

Well, first of all, there's not the slightest fear that this design will actually make it to print.

Secondly, how much "obvious satire" is in the It Came Out of Nowhere shirt that Woot have been selling for about 84 weeks now? Does pairing it with another movie's time-travel imagery qualify it as "obvious satire"?

These aren't sarcastic questions, by the way, but genuine ones.

Thanks for all the support, everyone - never expected to get more than 10 votes for my first week submitting a design (when frankly I can't design my way out of a paper bag).

Spontaneous123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Spontaneous123
Re: Ancestry

Uh huh, you know what it is...black and yellow black and yellow

Hectic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hectic
Re: Ancestry

Oh man this design is SO awesome! I'm a TRON fan and with the new TRON movie out, this has got to make the cut! It's been awhile since I've seen a design here on shirt.woot that I've really wanted to get too. This is the only shirt I'm voting for to help get it printed.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
hashimotoyoshio wrote:hmmm. While not completely ignorant of the threshold and antialias, in context I don't know what you mean. Threshold to make the blacks black and the whites white, Cutting out all those pretty grays. What does antialiasing have to do with it?

Each shade of grey would have to be it's own ink color, or you can fake a grey with halftones. Let's say your shirt was white and you wanted to make a 20% grey box without having grey be one of your colors. You'd make a box, fill it with 20% black and then make your halftones. What you'd be left with is a box filled with solid black dots, but it would appear to be grey from a distance. Same applies to your outlines, the black can only print as a solid black, so you'd lose all of your grey tones anyways. The best thing to do is threshold them and you'd have your solid black, it might look a little jaggy on your screen, but that won't matter when it prints. In your print ready art, each of your colors should be selectable with the wand tool set to 0 tolerance. Sure you can convert your outlines into a halftoned mess, but why would anybody want to do that?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Little Red Riding Bug

Stunning linework, wonderful use of canvas, and incredibly deserving of the fog.

AdderXYU

Re: Vinyl

This is quite lovely and subtle. It's just a solid design.

AdderXYU

Re: Eternal Respects

Great choice of shades. I actually really like how the kneeling guy looks like a hologram.

hashimotoyoshio

odysseyroc wrote:Each shade of grey would have to be it's own ink color, or you can fake a grey with halftones. Let's say your shirt was white and you wanted to make a 20% grey box without having grey be one of your colors. You'd make a box, fill it with 20% black and then make your halftones. What you'd be left with is a box filled with solid black dots, but it would appear to be grey from a distance. Same applies to your outlines, the black can only print as a solid black, so you'd lose all of your grey tones anyways. The best thing to do is threshold them and you'd have your solid black, it might look a little jaggy on your screen, but that won't matter when it prints. In your print ready art, each of your colors should be selectable with the wand tool set to 0 tolerance. Sure you can convert your outlines into a halftoned mess, but why would anybody want to do that?

I see what you are saying. So once I have the line art scanned in, I have it in a new layer on top of everything else so that the line art is on top? That being the case, can I use multiply on just the line art so the white drops away for the colors? Or could I somehow make the white space transparent? I've been trying to figure this one out. Thank you very much for the help.

AdderXYU

markhollenbeck wrote:I like both of your entries a lot. How does on person do 2 opposite styles so well? Nice job.

Generally that's called "artistry" or "talent". It's rare here.

Great work, Jimmy.

psbaucom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psbaucom
sTyLeS wrote:Looks like you have way more than the allowed 2 colors.

It's all blue and orange hues and shades. I thought that was allowed???

Phil Baucom

AdderXYU

humbert wrote:
Secondly, how much "obvious satire" is in the It Came Out of Nowhere shirt that Woot have been selling for about 84 weeks now? Does pairing it with another movie's time-travel imagery qualify it as "obvious satire"?

Well, for starters, there is a concept in that one. there is no concept to this one, especially since the clock is almost invisible. Even if it's not satire or parody, it is a concept. This is basically just the TARDIS.

AdderXYU

Re: You Are What You Eat

This is an obscenely subtle orange, to the point where I think calling it orange is debatable.

hethyr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hethyr1
Lollerskates1337 wrote:Want. Just not on brown.

ditto - it seems I'm obtaining a rather large collection of brown shirts!

hethyr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hethyr1
littlebubbles wrote:For me, this one.

I agree. It tells a better story.

hashimotoyoshio

uniique wrote:Those eyes... they pierce my soul
missing my cat of 14 yrs. cats are awesome
gmv!

Yay, a vote from Uniique. I feel accomplished, even if it doesn't win.

bottlehed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bottlehed
Re: In With the New

This looks quite beautiful!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
hashimotoyoshio wrote:I see what you are saying. So once I have the line art scanned in, I have it in a new layer on top of everything else so that the line art is on top? That being the case, can I use multiply on just the line art so the white drops away for the colors? Or could I somehow make the white space transparent? I've been trying to figure this one out. Thank you very much for the help.

it would have to be black on a transparent background.

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66
Re: Yin Yang YOUCH!!!

please let me know what you think

KlaudeHopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KlaudeHopper
Re: The Blue Dress

It's really amazing, I love it! Well done.

hashimotoyoshio

odysseyroc wrote:it would have to be black on a transparent background.

I have figured it out. The answer is simple. Someone scans in their line art. for me, I couldn't scan in straight to bitmap. Which is fine, I didn't like the options. Better. Scan in grayscale. You're going to have white space on a white paper with black lines. However you get your blacks black and your whites white, do that to your liking. Then all you need to do is, when it's a grayscale drawing go to the channels and select the lines by alt clicking on the gray channel. Then with a new layer, fill with black. You will have every little speck of your drawing now without white for background, you'll have transparent. At which point you can clean up any points you don't want and you'll have line art you can work with with halftones.

hashimotoyoshio

Re: Ancient Chinese Fistbump

I like it. Good concept. There is but one thing that bugs me a little. I have crazy attention to detail and the tigers fist seems to be like a mitten. The line that curves up into the palm makes the hand seem all floppy. The dragon doesn't do that, but it's thumb is facing you so you drew it differently. Other than that small critique it's great!

hashimotoyoshio

uniique wrote:Art, to infinity and beyond!
And that makes me think of Galaxy Quest :D
Kudos! Nice style

mehehe. Galaxy Quest. Why it isn't toy story, I don't know.
I once drew a drawing that was fairly similar in concept. For art class in high school. I sat on a table and drew the round dish mirror in the corner of the room. I was in the reflection along with everyone else and the art room. You could see my art pad with the drawing on it. Nice shirt. I like it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: safety first

Getting an awesome Nathan Stapley / Scott C. vibe from this Edgar.

Wonderful design. :^)

Spiritgreen

HalfWheat wrote:I usually dislike the random drippy things, but given that there's an octopus with a fountain pen, it works here.

Yes! Context is everything.

This is really fun and the patterns are interwoven very skillfully. ^__^

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: The Sun Sets on a Concrete Forest

ROCKY! ROCKY! (Crowd chants!)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

sneezycop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sneezycop
Re: Yin Yang YOUCH!!!

I like the idea but did you use 3 colors? What is that on the head of the orca?

Spiritgreen

Re: Double Dragon Instant Noodles

Aha, the boiling noodle water comes from the lotus flower stove. It all makes sense now! :^)

Spiritgreen

Re: T-Rex Sword Fight

Oh yeah, I'd totally be in for one of these. Super design!

johnzimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnzimm
Re: Unplug

I Like This One!