midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: TV Wonderland

this is a pretty sweet design! so much detail going on and deserves more votes! I guess people hate white t-shirts here because I can't imagine why this isn't getting more attention.

midgerock

Re: Complementary Mobius

gmv vote! love the design and graphic quality of it on the shirt. I wish it was getting more votes. also loved seeing the development in the prederby thread!

midgerock

Re: Light On II

I loved the first entry and glad you resubbed it on the right heather. I wish more people were voting for this because there's not many shirts I would actually buy. This one I would. gmv

midgerock

Re: Custom Devil

definitely a wearable sweet design! reminds me of ICP design!

puppetsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puppetsmith
chumpmagic wrote:Great concept and great style. I love it. I don't mind the "only character" designs, but I bet if you added and a environment, even if really subtle, you would have probably pulled in some more votes. Preferably a environment/setting that played off the pun a bit more.

Anyhoo, I still really like it as is!

Thanks chumpmagic! I really like your design style as well. And thanks for the tip!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
odysseyroc wrote:It's been a while since I've mixed any pigments, but I'm sure that brown would be orange mixed with blue or any other color mixed with it's complement. So an orangey brown wouldn't amount to "orange".

Good point. Woot is using pigment based compliments rather than light based compliments.

This begs a the question a what point does orange start and stop being orange?

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Sporks Lucky DNA 2: the Quickening

kellyann214 wrote:this is absolutely precious. clever and well done. gmv

Thank you Kelly!

fabiofranca wrote:This t-shirt is great. Don't know why it did not print on any tee site. Specially on threadless. The colors here are awesome too. A bit smaller on the placement would be fine. This would be great on kids size tee and hoodie.

Hope you can spread it one day.

Thanks Fabio! It came in 4th the 1st time it was entered here and got a great score at Threadless as well. I'm sure it will find a home eventually. I completely agree about the size -- I erred on the side of large in the mockup just so the faces would be visible.

p.s. Congrats on the Threadless print!

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Re: Llama llama llama duck

i was once a treehouse, i lived in a cake, but i never saw the way the orange slayed the rake! i was only three years dead but it told the tale; now listen, little child, to the safety rail.

i enjoy this song.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
uniique wrote:llama llama duck, I hadn't heard that song. Makes me think duck duck goose. Is it too late to make a duck duck goose? Already got the duck!
either way, nicely iconic design

Thanks, and a great idea! I should do that for a daily... if that works, I'll let ya know!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Complementary Mobius

Man, I expected this to be fogging! Got my vote- and hope it gets an HM...

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
uniique wrote:i have a bamboo tablet but can't ever get accustomed to the small pen stroke area. plus the disconnect between looking at the screen and where your hands are. really want to try those bigger ones..

i knew it wasnt' really a darlek signal ;D just joshing :D should mention though, that even tho woot has the 'out from nowhere' w the tardis crashed into the delorean, they seem to no longer be accepting anything close to copyright characters/things. who material gets rejected alot. although this derby has the tardis w clock hands. might have slipped thru because there's no text on it?

That explains why I couldn't find anything about it! Hahaha

I have a bamboo fun, costs about $200, $170 from amazon. I love it, it's got a nice big pen area, 8.5"x5.4". It does have a bit of a learning curve, but after just using it for a while you get used to moving your hand down on the tablet and seeing the mouse move on the screen. I'd have a really time entering these derbies if I didn't have it, definitely worth the purchase.

squirlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squirlin
Re: T-Rex Sword Fight

Wow really great work, looks to me like this is sure to print.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
mindputtee wrote:That explains why I couldn't find anything about it! Hahaha

I have a bamboo fun, costs about $200, $170 from amazon. I love it, it's got a nice big pen area, 8.5"x5.4". It does have a bit of a learning curve, but after just using it for a while you get used to moving your hand down on the tablet and seeing the mouse move on the screen. I'd have a really time entering these derbies if I didn't have it, definitely worth the purchase.

I've mentioned this before here on some other threads, but I purchased a generic tablet from MonoPrice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=6251&seq=1&format=2
I was a little skeptical before buying it, but figured for $40 and the huge 10"x6.25" drawing surface I'd give it a try.
And it actually works great. Has excellent pen tip sensitivity and is recognized immediately in GIMP. Although, I couldn't get it to work with the 64bit version of GIMP, so I had to revert to the standard 32bit version.

squirlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squirlin
Re: Ancestry

Nice, I do believe I must have me one of these. So question, when you submit a design can you indicate colors that you'd like to have glow in the dark? Or do they just surprise you. Seems to me glowing tron lines would work well with this.

patrickspens

quality posts: 8 Private Messages patrickspens
bassanimation wrote:I actually don't think these are stock brushes. If you look closely you can see the slight wobble of the lines. Photoshop doesn't smooth it's brushes very well, so hand drawn things tend to have a tell-tale 'wobble' if you look closely. I wish they would fix that business, it is so frustrating.

It's true, everything here was created from scratch. And yes Photoshop can be wobbly, but it was intentional in the "roots" in this design.

uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
Re: Dragons Tree

bummer sorry to see it get rejected. you can still resub though. maybe try this page for the background color. http://shirt.woot.com/artists/
and post in your comments which ink colors you're using, ie: yellow & violet. mayhaps fill the body with some yellow halftones.

i recently got asked about halftones, if you'd like the info, here's how i've been doing it:

just do a layer in ps the solid color you want. make sure it's on it's own layer. then ctrl-a to copy all that. crtl-n to open a new page. paste into that. then adjust the levels the way you like it. then image/mode/grayscale. then image/mode/bitmap. go with the same output resolution as the page you copied from. I use 300dpi res on all woot subs. then use 30 or less frequency. that's a woot rule; must be 30 or less. and the smaller the freq, the bigger the dot! I always use 22.5 angle for anti-moire pattern. round. then... use your select tool, select the white, then invert to select the black, copy. return to your design page, paste and move it into place. then you can select and color.

hope that helps. sorry if it's overmuch an info dump!:/

BrysonReb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrysonReb

I think it looks awesome, and I also agree that more detail in the dragon would be cool. My only issue was that I still stare at the person and think..."Is that a topless girl?" If he had a manlier torso I would totally wear this.

fungusamongus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fungusamongus
Re: The Tea Shirt

In the fog! Mind blown! Heart Stopped! Eye Twitching!

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
Re: Llama llama llama duck

You have no idea how much this cracks me up. I've never heard of the song, but this shirt still makes me laugh.

centor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centor
Re: Little Lion Man

Very Nice!

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Light On II

A great, quality sub. Thanks Jimmy.

paisleyfox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages paisleyfox
bsweber wrote:The inks that would be printed on the shirt are green and red (on a lighter green shirt). I guess the dark green is appearing black to a number of people? It's definitely green, I swear! Glad you like it, though! The high/low quality of a particular design should not determine whether or not it is allowed to break the rules! But as far as I know, this one is within the guidelines of the derby.

It really is green! I had to look really hard at the close up photo before my eyes adjusted to the green on green. So look close, people!

Lovely design! You have my vote!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
patrickspens wrote:It's true, everything here was created from scratch. And yes Photoshop can be wobbly, but it was intentional in the "roots" in this design.

The roots look really nice. My only reason for pointing out the slight wobble was to demonstrate that this isn't stock art. It is really only noticeable to someone who's looking for it.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
uniique wrote:bummer sorry to see it get rejected. you can still resub though. maybe try this page for the background color. http://shirt.woot.com/artists/
and post in your comments which ink colors you're using, ie: yellow & violet. mayhaps fill the body with some yellow halftones.

i recently got asked about halftones, if you'd like the info, here's how i've been doing it:

just do a layer in ps the solid color you want. make sure it's on it's own layer. then ctrl-a to copy all that. crtl-n to open a new page. paste into that. then adjust the levels the way you like it. then image/mode/grayscale. then image/mode/bitmap. go with the same output resolution as the page you copied from. I use 300dpi res on all woot subs. then use 30 or less frequency. that's a woot rule; must be 30 or less. and the smaller the freq, the bigger the dot! I always use 22.5 angle for anti-moire pattern. round. then... use your select tool, select the white, then invert to select the black, copy. return to your design page, paste and move it into place. then you can select and color.

hope that helps. sorry if it's overmuch an info dump!:/

Oh my, that's it! That's the trick. Using an angle of 22.5 for ant-moire pattern.
I thought there was an issue with the way I was resizing my smaller images for display, and I ended up trying to use ImageMagick instead of GIMP to resize, and it helped a little bit, but I could still see the moire pattern.
Turns out I was using the default angle of 45. I just retested with 22.5 and it looks great.
Thanks so much!

melquam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
zizzyb123 wrote:I love this!!! I sure hope it win...

Thank you! I think it'll win in the people's hearts and minds instead of this derby. :P

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
swammi1203 wrote:I think I always click on your subs just to read your sarcastic comment.

Oh reaaaaally? That's SUCH a good reason. *rolls eyes*

(No, no, I'm totally kidding! That really is a good and flattering reason! no sarcasm this time, I swear!)

melquam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
BootsBoots wrote:I hope someday you get him on a shirt! This cracks me up.

Ya know, Boots, I think people just don't realize how cool it would be for someone to ask, "Who is that on your shirt?" and to respond, "It's Eric's dad."

Most of the time people don't get it when you try to explain a Woot shirt that you're wearing anyway.

This is not the last time you'll hear from my dad! Mark my words!

Kowulz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kowulz
Re: Commuter Bikes

Rejected because no photographs? Photographs of what?

Rock Cowles
Kowulz.com

uniique

sTyLeS wrote:Oh my, that's it! That's the trick. Using an angle of 22.5 for ant-moire pattern.
I thought there was an issue with the way I was resizing my smaller images for display, and I ended up trying to use ImageMagick instead of GIMP to resize, and it helped a little bit, but I could still see the moire pattern.
Turns out I was using the default angle of 45. I just retested with 22.5 and it looks great.
Thanks so much!

i was going to mention the 22.5 angle on odyessy's 'what, me pander' but it sounded like a gimp prog thing. should have mentioned it! glad you got a nice resize now though.

uniique

Re: Dragons Tree

i'm actually now, right this instant, following odysseyroc's youtube tut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqpg7nfdmk&feature=player_embedded he's using a few things i haven't been which should make things easier, like dup and channels. odysseyroc rocks

uniique

Re: what, me pander?

wanted to say thanks for the awesome tut on youtube re: halftones and channels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqpg7nfdmk&feature=player_embedded
i hadn't know about this method!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Aurora

Not sure if this will print well.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
fungusamongus wrote:In the fog! Mind blown! Heart Stopped! Eye Twitching!

I'm rooting for you because I have never seen a design with so much momentum as you have had in the last couple of days. Happy to give you my vote.

brendanwang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendanwang
Re: Sporks Lucky DNA 2: the Quickening

This is freaking awesome! I hope it gets printed

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
Re: The Tea Shirt

I am so happy to see this in the fog. I totally want one.

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

So far so good. Thank you people!

garthbrooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garthbrooks
Re: Little Lion Man

Love. Can't tell you how much I want one!

garthbrooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garthbrooks
redaxelrod wrote:I agree! I don't like the Mumford and Sons shirts on their store now. I would totally buy this one!

I agree!! So much better than their selection!!

scarletrayne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarletrayne
Re: The Sun Sets on a Concrete Forest

I am very upset that this is no longer in the fog. This is an amazing design and my favorite in this derby. I hope it climbs back up.

goneferal

quality posts: 19 Private Messages goneferal
Re: Tour de 1800's

This made me laugh, so I had to vote for it.