AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Not really. (And no, I don't see this as an attack myself.) The derby theme is fire, period. And fire is a concept used in both sides of this design. It is not slap-you-in-the-face-with-a-giant-flame fire, it is a subtle double-reference to a word. They never said 'your shirt must involve a large amount of burning, fire, or a dragon', they said 'the theme is fire', simple as that.

Stretching the theme and using subtleties are not the same thing. I might be quick to jump on that goldfish shirt, but I vaguely recall some mythology or other such history behind goldfish or koi that involves the element of fire, so even though I can't name the reference, I won't question the shirt's relevance. And I don't see why you feel the need to question this one's when it even has fire on it, as much as some of the other shirts on here I've seen. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the derby. Or use the tattle button and move on.

There is also mythology linking the salamander to fire. If I just draw a glowing salamander, IT IS NOT ON THEME.

Also, if I show someone caught in crossfire, it's not on theme. Or if I draw a fire truck. Or if I draw someone getting fired. If there is no fire, and there is no fire here, it's not on theme. Fire is not green. Bio-luminescence could be, but fire is not. The foxes don't look like there is fire involved in them. They look like they're playing street fighter, or holding magic orbs. It's a magical element, or a spirit energy element. It is not fire any more than I'm the king of Spain.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
AdderXYU wrote:There is also mythology linking the salamander to fire. If I just draw a glowing salamander, IT IS NOT ON THEME.

Also, if I show someone caught in crossfire, it's not on theme. Or if I draw a fire truck. Or if I draw someone getting fired. If there is no fire, and there is no fire here, it's not on theme.

Firefly shirt? No fire. 'Fire'fly. Bio-luminescence, fire in the word. Same argument you're bringing up here. Yet no reply by you on that one, weird.
Popcorn shirt? Fire's not important, he's -being- fired.
Match shirt? No fire, makes one think of fire but no fire there.

AdderXYU wrote:Fire is not green. Bio-luminescence could be, but fire is not.
fablefire wrote:For those who missed this in chemistry:

How To Make Green Fire

*Snrk*

AdderXYU wrote:The foxes don't look like there is fire involved in them. They look like they're playing street fighter, or holding magic orbs. It's a magical element, or a spirit energy element. It is not fire any more than I'm the king of Spain.

Pleased to meet you, oh Spanish King. Thankfully I live in the US, and thus am not subjugated to your overzealous and incredibly one-sided rule.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Concerts will never be the same

I prefer my Droid X to the iphone.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Evel CORNieval

this is just all sorts of crazy good. The colors are perfect, the idea is super clever, and the title just seals the deal. Great job!

kophia

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kophia
Re: Dragons and Snowmen Don't Mix

Cute and funny - poor snowman eye ..

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Laugh Gas

Hope you like it!

(o;

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Slick finish to a clever idea tjost. Does it come with an iWant app?

phraze83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phraze83
Re: have we met?

Love the wood grain, looks great!

greenleaf44

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greenleaf44
Re: A Practical Guide

I love the prosaic business attire of the man and woman. It makes me giggle.:D

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: The Dungeon of the Marshmallow King

A tasty mash-up from the two of you that works really well on the shirt.

dooomcat

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dooomcat

Really neat!

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

HAHAHA! love it!

Felicidades amigo, te quedo muy bien!

topfrog56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topfrog56
motorwerks wrote:I would be terrified of my dog if it's eyes looked like that.

me too.... maybe those dalmations are the original firestarters

Necrotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Necrotech
Re: Fire dance

Sadly I am unable to submit the actual files for print due to the size being over 100mb. Looking for a way around that, already tried compression.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

tjost does it again. A great poke at our society...

deiden26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deiden26
Re: EPIC FIRE SAFETY DIAGRAM

Is there any way you could sell this as a poster? I want this as a poster.

walmazan

hahaha! I have this app and it's amazing!

great work like always tjost!

walmazan

Re: The Dungeon of the Marshmallow King

Amazing idea! and great work like always!

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
Re: Devil Will Ride

Neat - I like the whimsical take on Hokusai

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Not really. (And no, I don't see this as an attack myself.) The derby theme is fire, period. And fire is a concept used in both sides of this design. It is not slap-you-in-the-face-with-a-giant-flame fire, it is a subtle double-reference to a word. They never said 'your shirt must involve a large amount of burning, fire, or a dragon', they said 'the theme is fire', simple as that.

Stretching the theme and using subtleties are not the same thing. I might be quick to jump on that goldfish shirt, but I vaguely recall some mythology or other such history behind goldfish or koi that involves the element of fire, so even though I can't name the reference, I won't question the shirt's relevance. And I don't see why you feel the need to question this one's when it even has fire on it, as much as some of the other shirts on here I've seen. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the derby. Or use the tattle button and move on.

Questioning stuff is a good habit to have. I'd like to think these comment threads are for critiquing. Lately they can feel like a means to just kiss up. That makes me enjoy the derbies much less than questioning things.

I hear your arguments and what you're saying about subtlety. I'm just saying in my opinion this is still a stretch.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Fire Extinguishers Are Bullies

Glad you re-subbed!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: scary tree

Being that your initial submission was rejected for not being on a shirt template, you probably should have put this resubmission on a shirt template.

Edit: aaaand, I see the rejectionator agrees.

Andy47240

Very clever. GMV

Andy47240

I really love your artwork. I am very glad that you started submitting here. Just hope you don't get bored with us and leave like so many others have.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Since I'm always waving my iPhone around at concerts like a fool, I will need to purchase this shirt. I really like the "rock on" hand on the iPhone and the angry crossed arms on the lighter. Nice work!

fishbiscuit5

Re: Doomed Romance RESUB

This would make a great 4th of July shirt. Funny idea!

Andy47240

Re: It came from the sky

Thanks for the votes and nice comments.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Doomed Romance RESUB

Doesn't she know he's only after her tail? Will she still love him when the fire has gone out? What will their lives be like when they're both burnt out and soggy, sitting in the life's douse bucket?

Resubbed to punch up the colors.

fishbiscuit5

Andy47240 wrote:Glad you re-subbed!

Thanks, Andy! I don't really like to use halftones. Figures I started playing around with them and got burned... haha, no pun intended.

zackjuwayyid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackjuwayyid
Re: Camping Out Under the Bubbles

This one should be in the top rather than those Jatravartid fox and ninja ones. STOP VOTING FOR THE CUTE ONES AND VOTE FOR THE COOL ONES!!!

groverthehyper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages groverthehyper
Re: Foxfire

When I first saw the title I thought it was a play on Mozilla Firefox. Now I get it though. plus 1

motorwerks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages motorwerks

This made me giggle like a little kid. I'll never outgrow butt humor.

rrb97reg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rrb97reg
Re: Melting Defenses

I really like your design, especially the shading! How did you do the halftones? I've been trying to figure out how to shade, but my dots always come out imperfect circles

adamy323

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamy323
Re: Campfire Story

Love the cute logs, especially love the face of the one on the bottom far right.

fortinbras79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fortinbras79
Re: This is what happens when you play with yourself

I drew this after a little wine and frustration at my other concepts poor showing. Hope you like it :-)

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler
Re: Scoville Scale

I'd wear this! Is it on brown? my monitor has hard time differentiating between the black and brown shirts

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Job Security

SORRY THIS GOT REJECTED.... we all know Smokey would just put it out after he started it.

Thanks for votes, I appreciated all the support.

Apparently, this is a little to aggressive for the woot sensors. (Amazon?) Hopefully the design was not in waist, and a less restrictive company will print it. But, who knows...

piakul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages piakul
Re: Scoville Scale

I love the habanero's expression

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: What Came First?

Well this wasn't up as quickly as I would have liked. I was working at a great pace Thursday when, suddenly I was contacted by a local game company for an interview... needless to say the next 24 hours were me updating my portfolio. Add some family obligation on top of that and you have a Sunday afternoon derby submission.
I do hope everyone enjoys it though. Best of luck to the lot of ya!

serengehde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serengehde
Re: RESUB: Goldfish On Fire

I really, really want this shirt. Sad to see it's not in the fog. If it doesn't win this derby, I still want to see it *somewhere* so I can wear this hot mess.