thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Bruises

[url=http://BestLosers.com]

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • You float like a feather in a beautiful world.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Yes!

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

cobaltbloke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cobaltbloke
Re: Robot vs Dragon resub2

I'm digging this.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: FLAME WAR

"Flame War"

The fire the internet is known for... this is a super duper late entry because I was away at a convention all this weekend selling things to people and no internet. So yeah. Trolls! Flames! Internet! He has a sock puppet on his shoulder whispering sweet encouragement in his ear. =D

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

I really dig this. Sad its a late sub. hopefully a possible HM... fingers crossed

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
amreli wrote:I think just smaller dots but keeping the irregularity/roughness would help a lot. But it's a neat design.

Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks for the feedback!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Sweet, thanks Robert!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

LOL trolls use iMacs :P. I don't blame them, they're so stylish.

DianaSprinkle

bassanimation wrote:LOL trolls use iMacs :P. I don't blame them, they're so stylish.

LOLOLOLOL, I actually was planing to make it more generic but ran out of time and colors and motivation and well Apple could be evil(some internet people seem to think so)... I'm still laughing that I forgot the power cord. Thankfully it's probably powered by hate. =D

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
fablefire wrote:@infinity - Would it have helped if a mushroom was still on fire?

I don't think so. To me, there are three separate things going on instead of it all coming together. There's bioluminescence, foxes, and fire, and theme-wise it's disconnected. I think this is doing well because people like the foxes and people like the green glowy effect--not because it's inspired by fire. Some would say "well, if people like it, what's wrong?" I don't agree with that attitude, but I know I'm in the minority.

DianaSprinkle

midgerock wrote:I really dig this. Sad its a late sub. hopefully a possible HM... fingers crossed

Yay I'm glad you like it I almost didn't make it in time. I didn't even ink it but went straight into coloring in Photoshop.

I am the king of procrastination. =/

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

I love that it is an evil sock puppet giving him suggestions.

jennoveev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennoveev
madeofsun wrote:If it was a straight up black shirt, I'd love it. I'm not so keen on the white.

It is supposed to be all black. The actual print submission is. I accidentally botched on this part.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
midgerock wrote:I'm not a fan of spicy food but I definitely appreciate the design and the fun way of communicating the scale.

profbrendan wrote:This is really nicely done! The irregularity of the shapes really adds to the quirkiness of the characters and the idea. Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

arparham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arparham
visix wrote:He already has a few times.

Just a few??

jdsuperjive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdsuperjive

Love it! So great

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
melquam wrote:CapSea,

Is it the fact that the character is effeminate? Is it the title? Is it the rainbow? Is it the possibility that the character might be hoopy?

I'm wondering if the rejection was because it could be seen as offensive to hoopy people or because you're offended by hoopy people?

I know you didn't personally reject the shirt, but you seem to be the voice of the rejectionator and have a theory of why it was rejected.

If you are going to respond, I'd appreciate if you keep the personal insults to my upbringing and my judgement to a minimum. Thanks.

It's obscenely offensive to homosexuals and the idea that that would confuse you baffles me. The definition of flaming is "a potentially pejorative adjective for a homosexual man whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical "flamboyancy"" It's quite literally blatant homophobia on a shirt.

ocdboy777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocdboy777
jchuguelet wrote: 'Firefox' and 'firefly' are only fire related in that they emit light and have 'fire' in their names. Maybe we could call this species of fish "firefish" to make it more obvious?

Can't disagree on 'Firefly'. I guess I also can't disagree with 'Firefox', oh wait... except for the fact that they are playing with fire.

As for this shirt... I think it totally deserves to print, in a different derby. It's a beautiful shirt. I just don't get how it has anything to do with fire. Nothing looks like it is, or was, on fire. Nothing in it could possibly start a fire. Fish, a bowl of water, splatters of red/orange/yellow/blue... these elements don't make me think of fire.

/.02

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign

Flame Wars - the fuel that keeps every internet forum running. Cool design!!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Baby Dragons Equal Flame Throwers

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I am glad you all like it and I greatly appreciate your support. thanks again!

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
Re: Concerts will never be the same

HA! This is great. I've often sympathized with the poor old fashioned lighters many-a-time at concerts.

It's a shame that doing pieces that have similar accents or elements to others get labeled "clones". I think it's a shame this site is so harsh in that manner. A critical eye is one thing, expressing an opinion is welcome. Claiming theft of style, content, etc. is completely another. Are some guilty of it? Yes, as has been shown here before. However, inspiration comes from everywhere and is interpreted differently. Artists who have talent and show passion for what they do should not have to constantly defend every single iota of their pieces. Tjost, you have shown that you have a tremendous variance of style, so just keep doing what you do. Most of us enjoy it.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that these are T-SHIRTS and not an exhibit at a high end gallery?! When I see someone with a funny shirt, I don't particularly care about the minutia of the lighting, shading, etc. It's wearable art. I guess I just don't take everything so seriously...:D

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
Re: Fox Maiden

AMAZING JOB, BASS! This is so beautiful, I'm definitely gonna get me one!! Congrats!

megnolia7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megnolia7
zosai wrote:Yeah, I was using the texture for the same effect as a gradient, but I liked the roughness and contrast with the smoothness of the other areas. I also thought my flames were too tight, which smooth gradients just reinforce, with not enough of the unpredictable nature of flames. Perhaps I needed either more roughness or a lot less. Thanks for the feedback!

I actually like the rougher dots because it kind of looks smokey to me, like ashes.

penthus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
theinfinityloop wrote:Some would say "well, if people like it, what's wrong?" I don't agree with that attitude, but I know I'm in the minority.

Personally, I don't think that's the attitude that people who support the validity of this design to the theme have. I think it's great that people have different opinions, especially when they are respectful about voicing them.

While yes, I admit that I am a sucker for foxes, personally, if I hadn't caught the connection to the theme (I knew about the whole Kitsune/fire mythology thing long before I knew about Woot, and I have personally seen green fire), I wouldn't have voted for it. I don't vote for every fox design just because it has OMGAFOX in it.

I don't speak for everyone. I can only really speak for myself. I vote based on design and if I or my husband would wear it, and I ignore anything that doesn't look on topic. -shrug- Sometimes it's just a matter of opinion. And that's okay. That's why there's the option to vote or not vote.

To me, there is a difference between 'Well if it's liked, it must be alright' and 'Well, it looks on topic to some and off topic to others, but the off topic opinion is in the minority'. My opinion is that if the Rejectionator hasn't bombed it by this point, obviously the people in charge of deciding that agree that it is on topic.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Lagbert wrote: Nice use of texture on the stone.

Nice texture throughout - I thought this was a photo!

elmosuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman
Re: Tyger Tyger

Very nice! I love Tigers.

elmosuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman
Re: Unstealthiest Ninja

hehehehe... Ninjas:-)

lwitthoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwitthoft

<3 foxes

artbreaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artbreaker
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

haha, I accept the Best loser award with grace and optimism.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=52144

bsweber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bsweber
Re: EPIC FIRE SAFETY DIAGRAM

love it, good luck dude!

mkblanchfield

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mkblanchfield
Re: The God of Fire

That shirt is AWESOOOOOMEEEEE!!!

Aynoyingness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aynoyingness

I understand why it got rejected.

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
CapSea wrote:It's obscenely offensive to homosexuals and the idea that that would confuse you baffles me. The definition of flaming is "a potentially pejorative adjective for a homosexual man whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical "flamboyancy"" It's quite literally blatant homophobia on a shirt.

Really? Calm down...

How is this offensive to homosexuals? A "POTENTIAL pejorative adjective"? Well, are you saying this is like african americans using the N word? Because, homosexuals and lots of other people use "Flaming" as an adjective that aren't belittling homosexuals. So homosexuals are allowed to say it, but if someone else does, it's "pejorative"?

And homophobia on a shirt? What!?

In my opinion, I'd think ONLY homosexuals would want to wear this shirt.

However, I personally have no homosexual clout, as a straight guy, so my opinion here may not mean much. I personally don't see the big deal here though.

The artist used a visual pun to fit the derby. I doubt he/she is homophobic. Relax

And to say clearly someone found it offensive, because it got rejected, doesn't do much for me because you were probably the person responsible for it.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
DianaSprinkle wrote:"Flame War"

The fire the internet is known for... this is a super duper late entry because I was away at a convention all this weekend selling things to people and no internet. So yeah. Trolls! Flames! Internet! He has a sock puppet on his shoulder whispering sweet encouragement in his ear. =D

Awww, my satirical comment was removed. It was totally relevant too. :P lolfailtrolls. Well, I find the shirt amusing, sorry it was late. Did you have a good convention? Also, any chance of seeing you at FF?

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

nrthnmind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nrthnmind
deiden26 wrote:Is there any way you could sell this as a poster? I want this as a poster.

One more gargleblaster, I want this as a poster, too. I'll hang it in my laundry room, next to the fire-extinguisher.

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
Re: Firestarter

I'm always loving your entries Spiritgreen. Not only well designed, but they always strike me as being among the best concepts of any given week!

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
Re: Baby Dragons Equal Flame Throwers

Love this, Chump! Colors look great. Cleaned up very nice from your pre-derby sketch.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire

Hah! Awesome. Love the sock puppet.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
Re: Firestarter

Hilarious and instantly understandable. I love the whimsical feel, too. Another great one.

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
Re: Don't play with Fire

I love the artistic style here...look forward to seeing more of your work!