swammi1203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swammi1203
kylemittskus wrote:One cannot control how another receives a message. I realize that I am in the minority here, but political correctness, politeness, etc. are all subjective terms and have no place in logical discussion, IMO. I suppose we should not start an ideological debate here, though. Do you drink wine?

The tone of voice has no impact on a speech and how the audience views both the content of the speech and the speaker? The same thing applies to a forum such as this, except instead of tone of speech, it's tone of written word.

But yes, we are getting off topic, however much I enjoy a good ideological debate.

I try to enjoy some of the finer things in life, wine included. Naturally, if you have a particular recommendation for wine, especially as a component of a meal, I would be interested in hearing it.

EDIT: Preferably in a pm, considering the topic at hand.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: The Mystery of the Bermuda Shorts Triangle

How did I miss this one! This one is AMAZING!!! Nice detail on the shorts!

swimmer91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmer91

awsome!!!!

swimmer91

Really..........cute

swimmer91

So Funny!!!

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: TREX THROUGH TIME

I voted for this the other day but didn't comment. I think this is one of my favorite pieces from you two. The colors and textures are great and I like how the T-Rex looks kinda like the old claymation dinos from the old "B" cinemas. Great campy feel. +1

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
Re: turned-over turtle

I was thinking about this and I realized that an extremely sloppy, MSPaint shirt would actually be kind of fun to own as long as the colors were still clean. Without the inside joke I probably wouldn't have supported this, obviously, but I realized the other day that there would be something a little fun about owning something so "sloppy," especially when it is otherwise clean (no pencil marks, no awkward white space). The "model" shows it off. I'd definitely enjoy wearing it and having people comment "What in the world?"

swimmer91

Makes me think of Rusty

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Tofu, Food's Master of Disguise

LMAO! This is awesome!!!

swimmer91

frogs do that not chamilions!!

swimmer91

not funny

tjost

Re: Tesla the Time Lord

Tesla is truly underappreciated in history for his genius. Edison was a hack Good job on this.

swimmer91

love it

swimmer91

poor turtle

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tjost wrote:Edison was a hack

HAHAHA!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dwayri

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri

It is a super cute design, but I am not sure if I would ever think of tofu if I saw this design without the title. I would just think it was a cute white block or something. Judging from the comments so far, I must be alone in this. I doubt it will deter anyone from buying it.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
joemail11 wrote:In response to Adder:

I will not dispute the quality of this design, but your main fault is the assumption that shirt designs must be masterpieces. My theory proposes that, at times, mediocrity is preferable over perfection.

To begin with an example: While at home, I regularly grace my ears with the sound of classical (or more specifically, Romantic) music. Classical music is difficult to match in its intricacy, depth, and overall quality of composition. However, when I am in my car, I find myself listening to ZZ Top, which hardly compares to the complexity of classical music, yet, it fits the situation better than a masterpiece of music which requires careful listening to fully enjoy.

One can clearly see the direction I am taking this. Much like my preference of ZZ Top in my car, I WANT my shirts to be mediocre, consisting of a cheesy picture and a cheap laugh. A masterpiece on a T-shirt is completely out of place, as classical music is out of place while driving down the road.

So, while your analysis of the quality of shirt art is correct, your basic assumption that shirts need a beautiful design is misplaced.

Your presumption, however, is that I would not consider ZZ Top to have artistic significance. They are incredibly in synch with each other musically, are talented musicians in their own right, and are unmistakable from anyone else. "Tush" may not have the lyrical or musical depth of "Stairway to Heaven," let alone Beethoven's 5th, but there is still a passion for the art there. Nirvana is relevant not for their musicianship, which was sloppy at best, but for songcraft and passion. Kurt articulated an entire subculture as eloquently as possible while still being honest. Punk exists on the simplest of chords, yet the musical importance of the Clash is far more than many people who worked by Classical standards. How many classical composers do you know v. how many modern musicians? You'd better believe there are millions who are lost to time for pure suckitude. Want proof, just go through your parents' vinyl collection. I guarantee there's at least one album you'll say "who?" to. Obscurity doesn't preclude talent, obviously, but in many cases, there's a reason you don't know who Chris Ducey is. He was totally disposable, and damn you mom for making me know that.

In 30 years, so too will the hacks here be. But in the here and now, their temporary success is strangling those people who may become the next Mozart, or may become the next Flaming Lips instead, existing for years on relatively strong fan support and relatively negligible mainstream exposure. But for every true passionate creative mind which sticks around, tens or hundreds will give up because they're not willing to stoop so low to gain acceptance, and need to make money somehow, or else they WILL stoop that low and throw away everything creative about them, selling their soul for the almighty dollar. Not every artistic mind has the luxury to just wait for their break, and that is the true waste of culture.

So the argument is not "Classical vs. ZZ Top." It is, perhaps, Moonlight Sonata vs. Cheap Sunglasses (sorry ZZ, you lose hard) or else Etude 344b in A-minor vs. Gimme All Your Lovin' (which gives a damn fair shot to the bearded men depending on which obscure composition from which composer we are looking at). But it's more Lady Gaga vs. Katy Perry. You cannot argue for Katy Perry's superiority musically without resorting to non-musical things (better ass? fair call) or untrue things (better voice? you've heard them both sing, right?) And as such, someone with absolutely no capacity for undoctored vocals has no right to make money off their voice, right?

And that is the argument. While I will defend to the death the idea that "high art" has no place it does not belong, I know not all "high art" is meant for a shirt. But I would say not ANY low art is. You can cruise down the street blasting Sharp Dressed Man, and that's fine. But you shouldn't cruise down the street blasting the Macarena. You can read a good thriller instead of Shakespeare, but you shouldn't be reading Twilight. There is a huge difference between lesser work and truly mediocre to awful work, and there are ways to measure without opinion. You yourself note that you KNOW your southern rock preferences are not the height of composition. That says VOLUMES about where you are compared to the average woot voter. But I would like to think that if the Grammys came up, and a truly groundbreaking album lost against an enjoyable, yet ultimately standard ZZ album, you would feel some twinge of how robbed the other album was, while if the groundbreaking one won, you wouldn't feel anger that the one you preferred didn't. I vote in these derbies weekly if I can. I have liked some of what has printed, and I have bought fewer shirts than I've liked. I have lauded and disdained "artsy" and "simple" shirts alike. Quality is not about elitism and art is not about museums. It's about making sure the best man or woman wins. No one is advocating for any one thing to be severed from the derby except for this: uncreative, unethical, and flat out miserably done work. Anyone who would defend such from ejection is not stating their preference for anything but the lowest of the low.

tjost

Re: Awkward Turtle

Everyone's in an uproar about similar shirts exist, which is a valid concern, but I think there's been a greater oversight as to why this should be rejected. Ramy is using 7 colors not 6. Let me count them for you.

1. Bright Green
2. Black
3. White
4. Light Tan
5. Dark Tan/Brown
6. Dark Grey
7. Light Grey

He's easily showing (with a handy blowup to boot) that the light grey is indeed it's own color and not a lined halftone of the dark grey (same with the tan and brown). You have to reject this due to too many colors. The other arguments have merit, but this is definitive. It came about from his haste to get the design up and while I feel for him about getting nixed on a technicality, I and many other artists on Woot have experienced rejects for similar small issues. Even if his sep'd file is correct, then he still should be rejected on the basis of comp not matching final art. Again I feel for you but the rules are the rules.

-------
Edit: Annnnd it's rejected

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
paigeg wrote:Sadly, you cannot hide your skill. It plainly shows up in how you outlined your stick dude with the shirt.
I'm glad I probably won't have to buy all these turtle shirts, but this sure is fun.

Thanks! This shirt design was meant for one thing- to make people get a giggle about all this drama. I'm not expecting it to print, or anything. But I wanted to make something simple for a laugh...

sjaeger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjaeger

Very cool.
Sherri

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tjost wrote:-------

A) Fantastic catch!

B) The fact that he submitted a design with 7 colors absolutely boggles my mind. He has been submitting designs for a long while and he knows the rules. His following them or not is a different story. So either a) he made a mistake or b) he figured he could get away with it.

C) FAIL on the part of the rejectionator whose job it is to catch such things. Give TJost a damn bonus!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
tjost wrote:Everyone's in an uproar about similar shirts exist, which is a valid concern, but I think there's been a greater oversight as to why this should be rejected. Ramy is using 7 colors not 6.

Couldn't see the forest for the trees.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Toast and Tea
kellie22 wrote:me too me too!!! I dont know how this derby thing works, or how long it takes until its a short for sale, but I WANT IT!
please please please! ;)

The derby ends tomorrow at noon, and the entries with the top 3 votes are printed. So I can't do much other than tell you - make sure you vote for it (click the words 'I want one' on the upper left hand side of the image) Thanks Kellie!

Vote!

dgshinkle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgshinkle
loveengrey wrote:This isn't a normal woot kind of shirt. Try subbing at threadless or DBH? After a few months of course haha

I might submit it to threadless later. I'm just glad that people have received it well here. I'm looking forward to the next challenger tomorrow.

Edison Plays Dirty STAFF: Well, I tried. Looks like the image won't stay until you buy something. Still, please don't post your derby entry in the body of posts.

dgshinkle

mootookang wrote:The art really reminds me of the cover arts for DJ Okawari's albums, is it influenced by the same art style by any chance?

dude these covers are beautifully. Once again I see there is nothing new under the sun, but then again I didn't think that I was the first to do something like this. But now that I have seen these I have like 5 deferent concepts in my head for similar pieces. Thanks for the info, I love new inspirations.

Edison Plays Dirty STAFF: Well, I tried. Looks like the image won't stay until you buy something. Still, please don't post your derby entry in the body of posts.

echinsuocha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echinsuocha

I want this shirt more than I have ever wanted a shirt before.

dgshinkle

dgshinkle wrote:I might submit it to threadless later. I'm just glad that people have received it well here. I'm looking forward to the next challenger tomorrow.

challenge***

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

This shirt is now officially doing better in the rankings than the shirt it was created to parody.

Oh, and it definitely has my vote.

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
specsmachine wrote:This shirt is now officially doing better in the rankings than the shirt it was created to parody.

Oh, and it definitely has my vote.

Despite the parody and the fun factor associated with this entry, there´s also a "sad" part to this, that should make us think. This entry has much more votes than most of midgerock´s "serious" entries, which for someone that´s obviuosly talented like he is, turns out to be really unfair...

npromero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
cherylfrancis wrote:Thank you! I don't know how to find you on here. I would love to check out what you're doing. I need a tutorial.

Oh I'm probably the last person to ask for a tutorial, ha ha ha. I will always help in anyway possible though. So feel free to ask away and Ill answer if I can.
Probably a really bad idea but heres my. crapbook account I just got my computer let one my tablet so im pretty much using it to dump sketches as I pop them out.

This is only my second derby and my entries are little kid drawings. Especially in comparison to your stuff let alone everything else posted. I just do it cause I really like designing stuff.

Im pretty much the tone-deaf guy who makes everybody listen to his crappy music.
Or in the case the dude who cant draw a strait line let alone a circle, but hell if that stops me from submitting. :P But its fun, so too bad.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
chunkydesign wrote:Despite the parody and the fun factor associated with this entry, there´s also a "sad" part to this, that should make us think. This entry has much more votes than most of midgerock´s "serious" entries, which for someone that´s obviuosly talented like he is, turns out to be really unfair...

That's the worst part. I did a parody of one of their designs in the christmas '09 and it still is on of my highest voted shirts. At first it's funny, then it's just kind of sad.

npromero

Re: The Mystery of the Bermuda Shorts Triangle

wow this one is really good.
I dont know how i missed it either. +Uno

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11

Response to Adder's response to me:

Well put.

And yes, about 80-90% of classical music (covering Baroque onwards; I feel no need to subdivide the genre) is ignorable or, in fact, bad.

And I am so out of touch with contemporary music, I may just know more classical composers than bands. Or maybe not, I don't wish to tally.

Finally, I appreciate your comments every week (for the very few weeks I've been here), whether they are unsavory to me or not.

Concluding words on this shirt: Most unexpected rejection. I don't know if I'll ever see something quite like this again.

joselyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joselyn
Re: Treacherous Test Tube Specimen

Treacherous Test Tube Triffid!

npromero

tjost wrote:Everyone's in an uproar about similar shirts exist, which is a valid concern, but I think there's been a greater oversight as to why this should be rejected. Ramy is using 7 colors not 6. Let me count them for you.

1. Bright Green
2. Black
3. White
4. Light Tan
5. Dark Tan/Brown
6. Dark Grey
7. Light Grey

He's easily showing (with a handy blowup to boot) that the light grey is indeed it's own color and not a lined halftone of the dark grey (same with the tan and brown). You have to reject this due to too many colors. The other arguments have merit, but this is definitive. It came about from his haste to get the design up and while I feel for him about getting nixed on a technicality, I and many other artists on Woot have experienced rejects for similar small issues. Even if his sep'd file is correct, then he still should be rejected on the basis of comp not matching final art. Again I feel for you but the rules are the rules.

-------

LOL, that was awesome in more ways that I can count.
No, wait, yes i can... about 7 of them

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Lolyer wrote:You seem awfully assertive. Can you share with us the particular trademark that is being diluted? You can search them online here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4008:e9bbpl.1.1

I don't find one similar to this.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_505716.html

"But University of Pittsburgh law professor Michael Madison said that people cannot use images if they are likely to be confused with those under trademark."

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
kylemittskus wrote:A) Fantastic catch!

B) The fact that he submitted a design with 7 colors absolutely boggles my mind. He has been submitting designs for a long while and he knows the rules. His following them or not is a different story. So either a) he made a mistake or b) he figured he could get away with it.

C) FAIL on the part of the rejectionator whose job it is to catch such things. Give TJost a damn bonus!

Well, now he can add the appropriate halftones, which should satisfy woot's "significant changes" rule, and cram it into next week's derby.

lifeiskumquat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lifeiskumquat
Re: Awkward Turtle

Finally rejected...good riddance. =/

Interesting though, I didn't catch that; Great eye tjost. =)

Lolyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lolyer
Lagbert wrote:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_505716.html

"But University of Pittsburgh law professor Michael Madison said that people cannot use images if they are likely to be confused with those under trademark."

The quoted source is probably right, but you're still assuming that there is a registered trademark that is likely to be confused.

I asked if you could find a registered trademark that is being infringed and you point to a news article about a lawsuit. That really isn't an answer. Anyone can file a lawsuit. A lawsuit is just an allegation. In and of itself it isn't evidence of anything.

And that report provides neither the trademark that is allegedly being infringed nor the mural itself, so it's not a good basis for comparison. All that really tells you is that the owner of the TMNT trademark is out there protecting its rights. You could be right, but it's more helpful if you can provide the reason why.

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
royalsampler wrote:Great job. Great concept, beautiful art. Sorry it got the axe, keep up the good work and better luck next time!

Thanks, it's very much appreciated!