Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
odysseyroc wrote:I agree with thatrorbert about the color. In my opinions the color combination is a little odd to begin with, but then you have similar vaues and saturation levels and it gets a a little hard to look at. I did a quick overpaint to show some areas where I think you can improve this. I also added a third color to sort of round things out a little bit.

Odysseyroc,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of back lit edge highlights, but I can see why you did it - they really help to bring out the edges in shaded areas.

The highlights on the hand holding the headphones look good. I knew I needed some there to be consistent with the headphones, but I wasn't sure I could add them without creating a conflict with the other portions of the arm that were in the shadow.

I wonder if a different lighting angle is needed all together. When the left turntable is realistically lit (as in your example and the WIP pic in the preview thread) it feels like the composition is getting dragged down into the corner away from the dinosaurs face.

Thanks again for the great input - I'll need to play with this design some more in the future.

baseballjf14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baseballjf14
Re: Awkward Turtle

OH MY GOD

so check this out, I decided to see what the fuss was about Ramyb and his designs, so I decided to go to shirt.what and figure this out.

As I was looking through his past entries, to my untrained eye, I was unable to really deduce more than "his style" for his designs.

Then; as any detective show would tell you; I realized I wasn't digging deep enough. So I decided to read the threads under each design....

And what I found may astound you!

I am not gonna run this guy's name into the dirt any more than it should be. It's just not my style, however, the allegations of plagurism, lack of inspiration, and complete disregard for rules does have some merit to it.

It was actually an AdderXYU t-shirt design that helped me connect the dots to another person, "closely tied to" Ramyb, that not only had seemingly the same disdain for rules as he appears to possess. Wild Stuff, including a resubmit that was actually a "paint over" of a previously rejected design, seems to more than indict those 2 (Ramyb, as well as unnamed person I alluded to) in a seemingly unapologetic tandem of rule dodging, idea theifs....

I cannot let my self go on with the "Pitchforking" against these 2, but I'll leave with this....

I cannot and will not allow myself, or my girlfriend for that matter, vote for or buy any of Ramyb's stuff, but on the same note, I will never again smear his name any more than it already has been.

I am initiating a boycott

blightchan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blightchan

was this done with ms paint?

kiki2294

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiki2294

Pretty much love it. I definitely want one. A shirt, I mean. I'd like some French toast too, actually...

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

I figured that this would be rejected some time after the noon hour today. That way he couldn't pop out another design because submissions closed. Nice catch Tjost, I half thought the other day that it would be funny if it got rejected for going over the color limit because of that odd dot by the eye. Turns out it was staring us in the face the whole time.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: turned-over turtle

Thanks everyone for a fun run! This was and always was a joke. It was never intended to print when it was created. I never imagined that so many people would enjoy it. I loved reading everyone's comments. I literally was laughing my arse off! Thanks for the good time and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. I did.

And on a final note, how about that M Night Shyamalan twist with the design this was based on?
Didn't see that coming! Love y'all!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
blk909 wrote:Can someone more experienced in critiquing t'shirt, explain why this shirt isn't garnering more votes?

Aw, thanks! I probably should have drawn a turtle.

mindslashed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindslashed
Re: Teenage Titans

actually it wouldn't be text, in the tv show that's the architectural shape of the groups building.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Lagbert wrote:Odysseyroc,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of back lit edge highlights, but I can see why you did it - they really help to bring out the edges in shaded areas.

The highlights on the hand holding the headphones look good. I knew I needed some there to be consistent with the headphones, but I wasn't sure I could add them without creating a conflict with the other portions of the arm that were in the shadow.

I wonder if a different lighting angle is needed all together. When the left turntable is realistically lit (as in your example and the WIP pic in the preview thread) it feels like the composition is getting dragged down into the corner away from the dinosaurs face.

Thanks again for the great input - I'll need to play with this design some more in the future.

Don't think of them as "back lit edge highlights", they're supposed to represent reflective light. They're a little extreme in the overpaint, but they are really necessary if you want your image to have any real dimension. As a rule, you should you should have a highlight midtone, core shadow and reflected light. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Obviously you don't ALWAYS have to follow that formula, but it's the most basic way of doing things.

When your doing something with such simple coloring, it's really important to pick just the right places to put light and shadow. Your light source isn't real consistent, the head looks to be uplit, while the rest seems to be lit maybe from the side. It's a real balancing act to get things just right. In comics, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, and Eduardo Risso are all really good at finding that balance. Do a GIS for any of those guys, and you'll see what I'm talking about

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Tequila

Arriba, abajo, al centro y pa' dentro!

Salud!

+1

musocat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages musocat
Re: TIKI

Love the Tiki Girl character!

I'm in... good luck!

Lagbert

Lolyer wrote:The quoted source is probably right, but you're still assuming that there is a registered trademark that is likely to be confused.

I think it's fairly safe to assume Nickelodeon has trademarked all of the characters from TMNT, and that this shirt is garnering votes because of the TMNT reference.

I asked if you could find a registered trademark that is being infringed and you point to a news article about a lawsuit.

A trademark does not have to be registered to be enforce. The take away from said article is that if an image is designed to exploit another person's trademark without permission, the exploitation is inviolation of trademark.

You could be right, but it's more helpful if you can provide the reason why.

It could be argued that a single turtle with a mask could be a bank robber or super hero and not a reference to TMNT. The composition consists of 4 turtles with blue, purple, red, and yellow masks, a rat, and Japanese rice paper doors - Ask anyone born in the United States between 1980 and 1992 what this is a picture of, and they will most likely say TMNT.

Personally, I feel de-anthromorphizing the turtles does not constitutes parody and does not significantly remove the illustration from the realm of the trademarked work. Considering Shredder's multiple attempts to de-mutate the turtles during the series, it's highly likely there is published IP of the turtles de-anthromorphized and wearing bananas.

Woots legal staff obviously have the opposite opinion, or this would have been rejected the same time the count in the trucker hat was rejected.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Teddy

Thank you all so much for the comments. I really appreciate them. Hope Teddy finds a home somewhere.

dooomcat

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dooomcat

So cute! I'd love to buy this for my son

gerardson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerardson
paigeg wrote:Blammoe! Got blocked as "tea". Bad boy!

o3o

XD

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
SanitaDiva03 wrote:I WANT THIS SHIRT! I can't wait to buy it! :-)

mmmm....makes me want a taco now...

Thank you Sanita!

Lagbert

odysseyroc wrote:Don't think of them as "back lit edge highlights", they're supposed to represent reflective light.

I generally think of lighting in photographic terms, and the easiest way to get that type of lighting is to set up a remote flash very close to and behind the subject.

As a rule, you should you should have a highlight midtone, core shadow and reflected light. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

I see what you're saying. Thanks for the link. In photographic terms, the examples assume that the object is sitting on a white surface with a white wall close behind. The white wall is providing the reflected back light.

Obviously you don't ALWAYS have to follow that formula, but it's the most basic way of doing things.

In the case of a stage, the floor and wall behind the subject are usually black, thus the subject would be free of reflected back lighting.

When your doing something with such simple coloring, it's really important to pick just the right places to put light and shadow.

Agreed - good light and shadow placement is what made my ninja star design work. It would have been a total flop without proper light.

Your light source isn't real consistent, the head looks to be uplit, while the rest seems to be lit maybe from the side.

I was just noticing that myself. That's why I was having problems lighting the arm correctly - it started in body's light source zone and moved to the head's light source zone. I'm going to redo the shadows on the body so they line up with the face better. I'm also thinking about several different ways I want to try to color it.

In comics, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, and Eduardo Risso are all really good at finding that balance. Do a GIS for any of those guys, and you'll see what I'm talking about

I'm a big fan of Miller's style, and Mignola simply rocks all the way around. I was really impressed with how they were able to carry his style over to animation in the Adventures of Screw on Head.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Lagbert wrote:Mignola simply rocks all the way around.

Yup.

Lolyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lolyer
Lagbert wrote:It could be argued that a single turtle with a mask could be a bank robber or super hero and not a reference to TMNT. The composition consists of 4 turtles with blue, purple, red, and yellow masks, a rat, and Japanese rice paper doors - Ask anyone born in the United States between 1980 and 1992 what this is a picture of, and they will most likely say TMNT.

Personally, I feel de-anthromorphizing the turtles does not constitutes parody and does not significantly remove the illustration from the realm of the trademarked work. Considering Shredder's multiple attempts to de-mutate the turtles during the series, it's highly likely there is published IP of the turtles de-anthromorphized and wearing bananas.

Woots legal staff obviously have the opposite opinion, or this would have been rejected the same time the count in the trucker hat was rejected.

eh. this isn't really my field of expertise, but I think you're blurring the edges between copyright and trademark. Trademark infringement just doesn't fit as an argument to me, because trademarks are more about branding (symbols, logos, names, etc.) than the artwork itself. Logo images can be trademarked, but not all images can trademarked. And likewise, it's true that you can have unregistered trademarks, but that doesn't make all works of art unregistered trademarks.

Even if trademark was the issue, I don't think anyone would confuse this drawing with that of the actual/official TMNT product.

But like I said, this isn't my area of expertise. Maybe for my own education I'll open an old textbook and do some reading.

odysseyroc

Lagbert wrote:a bunch of stuff

One thing to keep in mind is that you really should be approaching this stuff as if it were photography. Dave McCaig's tutorial on breaking up planes & drawing attention to important elements, does a pretty good job of explaining why we have look at thing differently. I'm not here to say you have to do things a certain way, or that I'm right and your wrong or whatever, but there are a lot of things that don't really translate from one medium to the other.

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
tjost wrote:
-------
Edit: Annnnd it's rejected

The Announcer:"OH MY GOD did you see that catch!"

The Crowd:Cheering loudly!

I cant believe no one (including me) saw that..Great Job!

uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
Re: The Mystery of the Bermuda Shorts Triangle

i desperately love this piece.
show me where to buy it please

uniique

Re: Tesla the Time Lord

i'm very proud of this piece passing the rejectionator's critical eye of sauron. kudos! my hat is off to you, for the survival skills and crisp design. nice!

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
midgerock wrote:Thanks everyone for a fun run! This was and always was a joke. It was never intended to print when it was created. I never imagined that so many people would enjoy it. I loved reading everyone's comments. I literally was laughing my arse off! Thanks for the good time and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. I did.

And on a final note, how about that M Night Shyamalan twist with the design this was based on?
Didn't see that coming! Love y'all!

Your a Legend!

uniique

Re: tentacular trap

champion design skills. me likie!

uniique

Re: Thermal Tokyo 2.0

this is cool. excellent choice of colors. gmv!

uniique

Re: TREX THROUGH TIME

pretty darn stellar. i'd definately wear this

Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus
swammi1203 wrote:While Adder may not be the most cordial of commentators, he doesn't fail to make good points. For that, he is a valuable contributer, and his knowledge of past derbies is important in putting events in perspective.

It's very much a "flies with honey" type of situation. While Adder may be correct, his delivery does little to engender people to his side. While I started off as a fan of his, seeing his rude delivery over and over, often directed at people who don't deserve it, has made it so I can only agree with him begrudgingly.

It's reverse "shoot the messenger". While I can certainly understand and sympathize with his frustration, it is often not directed in as focused of a fashion as it should be. And while he doesn't realize it, or maybe just doesn't care, it does a lot to cast Ramyb in the sympathetic light, since he smartly sits back and says little. It's why these types of threads are almost always filled with posts expressing confusion at the hostile environment and sympathy for Ramyb, usually from newer members of the community. Convincing people you are right isn't just about message, but about tone as well. Perhaps if that was realized, there wouldn't be people who have the desire to spite vote or, hell, vote based on sympathy.

thelostprophetx0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelostprophetx0

I'm new to shirt.woot but I have been following this thread all week. It's been a interesting read and thank God this design got rejected! So funny how it was because of going over 6 colors, although I never understood why it was in the fog to begin with...

fellizzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fellizzz
Re: Toast and Tea

sooo cute! when is it available for order?

coniahg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coniahg
Re: TREX THROUGH TIME

We're already in the process of cloning the Mammoth so it's only a matter of time.

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Lagbert

odysseyroc wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that you really should be approaching this stuff as if it were photography.

Should the above quote read:
"One thing to keep in mind is that you really shouldn't be approaching this stuff as if it were photography"

Dave McCaig's tutorial on breaking up planes & drawing attention to important elements, does a pretty good job of explaining why we have look at thing differently.

Excellent little article! Thanks!

I'm not here to say you have to do things a certain way, or that I'm right and your wrong or whatever...

I apologize if I've been a bit combative in my replies. The advice is appreciated, and I hope to incorporate it into future works as I become more proficient at stretching my color palette.

...there are a lot of things that don't really translate from one medium to the other.

I am starting to see more correlations though as a result of this conversation.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
tjost wrote:I voted for this the other day but didn't comment. I think this is one of my favorite pieces from you two. The colors and textures are great and I like how the T-Rex looks kinda like the old claymation dinos from the old "B" cinemas. Great campy feel. +1

Thanks for the support this week evreyone.

Glad you picked up on the B vibe tjost, it was definitely a mood we where hinting towards. The comparisons to the old Topps Dino Attack cards and the "My Science Project" movie are appreciated as well.

dancingirl834

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancingirl834
amh wrote:I live in Davis, CA, the city with most bikes per capita in the US. Getting run-over by a bike could happen to anyone anytime.

By wearing this shirt, you'd be making a statement that bikes (unlike cars) don't kill you when passing over you. Therefore, for safety reasons, everyone should ride the greener option of the two

If someone asks -How do you know that bikes don't kill you when they run you over?- You may answer by showing off the tire tracks that speedy yellow bike left on your chest. No-one will doubt you...

haha, I love your explanation. I also live in Davis, so I totally know what you're talking about. I've had far too many almost-accidents on campus, both as the bicyclist and the pedestrian!

Lagbert

Re: Two Turntables and a Triceratops

I decided to do a quick experiment. The design has been recolored with 3 colors each separated by 120 degrees on the color wheel.

The shadows still need fixing but here are two color combinations that came out of the experiment:

I like this one but the saturation levels need to come down some.

I though this color set on cranberry was surprisingly pleasing.

Am I still barking up the wrong tree?

odysseyroc

Lagbert wrote:I decided to do a quick experiment. The design has been recolored with 3 colors each separated by 120 degrees on the color wheel.

The shadows still need fixing but here are two color combinations that came out of the experiment:

On the quote from above, yes it should have read "Shouldn't"

You're still having saturation and value problems. On the cranberry for example, the ink colors and shirt color are all pretty similar in saturation and your shadow color is also too close in value to the shirt. I'd go darker and less saturated on the shadow.

jafolost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jafolost
Re: Tesla the Time Lord

I would buy this shirt , great concept .

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Terrificly Tough Turtle Trains to Trounce Trixer

This is another one I voted for the other day but didn't comment on. Good to see you back Cape. Missed your awesome style

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward

I lilly like it.

MissouriMomma

odysseyroc

Lagbert wrote:I decided to do a quick experiment. The design has been recolored with 3 colors each separated by 120 degrees on the color wheel.

I did another overpaint. I kept the hue the same on everything, but I adjusted the saturation and value of things. Again, not to say "this is how you do it", but more to show you how important it is to have value changes and varying saturations levels .