bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I think this is my ultimate favorite in the derby, and there are loooots of shirts I love this week! Such a great message, and wonderful illustration to boot. Amazing job, Star. I shall vote and hope to see this print!

bassanimation

Re: Feathered Friends

I am loving your illustrations more and more, Kinzoku! You rock out with this type of style. I love the concept and the whole thing! I kind of wish Woot had a teal shirt, cause this would be so awesome on teal. (parades around for teal/purple shirts!)

+1!!!

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Predator

Hahaha awesome.

bassanimation

Re: Sticking Out

LOOOVE this so much, Jewelwing! I love hedgies, and you've drawn the little one so cute here! Also a great, smart concept. I like your uses of pastel colors that aren't overly 'eastery'. You are the queen of pretty colors. +1!

thefold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thefold
Re: Imitation Chocolate Chip Cookie

Very Cute shirt, the idea has already been done earlier in this derby. Very cool though! It is odd I see a few designs this derby that are very close to each other!

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
marzipanapple wrote:You have a nice clean style. I've been jaded on phoenix designs, but I can see the potential here in your style.

Just a few tips, if you're willing. The birds look as though they've been copy/pasted. Usually, this is going to make a design look stale unless there's an obvious reason the designer is using it (to make a point/to make a repeating design). Otherwise, if you *do* want to copy/paste, one of the tricks I do is to go back over it and change a few things. It keeps the design engaging.
Aaand, that's really all I have. The rest is mostly my own opinion. The message is a little muddled to me(out of context, it's hard to figure out what the little guy is or isn't doing in the middle), and it might be nice to have one more color somewhere.

Thank you, MarzipanApple, I really appreciate the feedback and I agree with what you are saying. I can take the vector file into Photoshop and play with it a bit.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Predator

I always impress for your awesome work! +1

kaedex99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99
jb2colorado wrote:haven't we seen enough of the cupcake characters? I'm getting tired of recycled characters. Unless the idea is to win enough so that someone could wear your shirts like 3-4 days in a row and it would look like a comic strip. Outside that notion I think new characters are in order, not just dressed up differently cupcakes. Sorry, just my opinion.

I agree, somewhat. Personally, I just have a natural aversion to anthropomorphised baked goods (or any food, for that matter). That's not to say that the artist -- or in this case, artists -- aren't any less talented at what they do. It's just not my cup of tea.

However, at the end of the day, people vote for what they like and can relate to. Until the majority of the population gets sick on humanized sweets, it's a good business practice to give the people what they want. -:]

That being said, I do like the little math bubble over the cookie's head!

mdmbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdmbunny
lucky1988 wrote:sweet!

thx (:

mdmbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdmbunny
Re: Acquired Taste

lol

nice one (:
here is my vote

wusawilliford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wusawilliford

This is the best shirt entry woot has ever been graced with. Pierced ducks forever!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
cmdixon2 wrote:

Love your use of color, your adherence to the theme without the design being dependent on the theme to make sense, and the nod to Chinese New Year.

walmazan

Re: Arrrrgh You Ready?

Nice work in this one! I love the colors too!

+1

murraymullet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages murraymullet

hahah this is great!!

bassanimation

Re: Just a little paint

Heeeee, this is so cute! I always love your coloring, Tjost. You really know how to make things sizzle with brightness and great lighting. +1!

bassanimation

Re: a monster in disguise

I love the freaked out cookie's expression! Awesomely cute, Keemo! +1

nomadslim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nomadslim
Re: The Bus Stop

Love the story behind this, Wences.

lilaviel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilaviel
Re: The Smart Cookie

This is cute. I like it.

tdallinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdallinger
rglee129 wrote:The concept of painting living things as vertical beams of light comes from Rabo Karebekian, a character from two of Kurt Vonnegut's novels ("Bluebeard" and my all time favorite, "Breakfast of Champions"). And for those KV fans at home, the buildings are all part of old Dresden.

-R

I love the artwork and the concept but I'm not sure it fits clearly with the derby's theme.

Please don't misunderstand; this is amazing work and much better than any of my pieces. However, I might have liked to see a man surrounded by robots like "Now it can be Told" for this particular topic.

walmazan

You always make me smile! Go Lucky!

asmadasrabbits

quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits
Re: AHH it's a mutant!

Now you're just messing with us.

bassanimation

walmazan wrote:You always make me smile! Go Lucky!

Me too, Walmazan! I think I'm officially a Lucky fangirl :D.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Taller than Not

its a cute design. How many colors are there? It looks like 7 but with halftoning not sure.

lilaviel

akobylarek wrote:Hey if I could draw something that would make me a few grand every month I wouldn't make many style changes either.

More power to you.

I feel the same way. Who cares if he does the same characters all the time? I like it. I kinda wanna collect them. XD

This looks much better than last week's. I'm quite pleased. HOWEVER, I do have to fault you on the use of ninja weapons. I think if they looked like they were about to punch someone it'd be better than hinting at a TMNT reference.

I'd still buy it though. And I like the one turtle on the end hiding in his shell.

jwaal

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jwaal
Re: Just a little paint

I'm not a fan of cute shirts but this is one I just might wear so gave my vote.

lilaviel

Re: The Happy Floopy Poopies and Gary

Howcome so many cute shirt designs have to be on BROWN? It's an awful color. I've got nothing against the design.. I love it. But if it prints I won't buy it b/c the shirt's brown.

midgerock

Re: Bear, bear, bear... Bare?

the design has some potential its the dark colors on black that is holding it back. any chance of putting it on another color shirt and maybe lightiening it up or perhaps even including some fire light as they appear to be all cicled up maybe perhaps a fire.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Werewolf Astronaut (V2 - resub)

Very nice upgrade! The werewolf looks a lot meaner now. GMV +1

IreCzech92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IreCzech92

Awesome job!! Vey Irish Wooter here looking forward to a new shirt for St. Patrick's Day festivities!!

midgerock

Re: Kitties

I kind of wish you did the whole lion instead of just a disembodied head. Maybe having it licking itself but stopped mid-lick and looking at the other cats maybe even including one of the other cats scared or full of bravado.

midgerock

Re: A Fire? At Seaparks?

although a nice design it doesn't fit the derby theme to well. I understand he maybe odd for wearing a fireman's hat but too me he just looks cute and not too much of an oddball.

midgerock

Re: Catfish

the cat-ness of the cat-fish isn't too apparrent. I wonder if you went all out and drew a fish with a cat head maybe even larger than the other fish he's after it would read better.

midgerock

Re: Catfish

also I'm pretty sure you have too many colors. 6 colors is the max.

walmazan

nomadslim wrote:Love the story behind this, Wences.

Haha! Thanks Normadslim!

midgerock

Re: Painting the Roses... Wrong

I like the concept I just want that spade to be more maniacal or emo and dark maybe no smile at all and gloomy.

midgerock

Re: I'm a fruit too!

why does the tomato look so different from the fruit style wise? is the bowl of fruit clip art perhaps?

midgerock

Re: Flying with Style

is hard to discern what is what with this bug. I understand its a bug with a jet pack and helmet but the details and limbs seems to be lost in the design. The other lightening bugs looks pretty nice

lilaviel

Re: A Fire? At Seaparks?

Nice IT Crowd reference. I think it DOES fit the theme.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Re: Ginger!

HAhaha, nice.

midgerock

Re: Arrrrgh You Ready?

Love you color palette choices each week. Not sure what's going on. The scene is definitely odd but not sure how it fits the theme this week. Are they playing dodgeball?