nim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nim

I bought this shirt because I have the imposter! I love it!!!!

cleetus8

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleetus8
slvrwhispr wrote:I swear to almighty Zeus, the only thing that keeps me from facepalming myself into next week is the write-up.

I have to agree totally. I was really mad about this winning until I read the write-up...now I'm just slightly annoyed.

kettes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kettes

Seriously, Woot. You need to permanently ban rabbits, bears, penguins from all future shirts. Just Jatravartid.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl

*sobs* This one's gonna get superglued to the reckoning board and NEVER leave! Someone kill it while we still have a chance!!!

One upside though: Imposter might actually be reckoned because people chose to buy this instead. I know that's not the best scenario but I'm trying to see the silver lining.

mcowles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcowles

All of you guys are right. Woot holds a contest where artists submit designs based on a given theme for the week. Shirts that are not TOO similar to past entries are allowed to stay (which this one was allowed to). It got the most votes, by those that have made shirt purchases in the past.

However, I agree that Woot should ignore the votes and choose to not print this one so that everyone here can have a chance to buy a shirt that fewer people like, but that obviously is of better artistic quality. After all, Woot derbies are a democracy and since a majority of the commenters dislike this shirt, it must suck. The people here obviously deserve to have their opinions count more than the 886 people that voted for it over the last 7 days.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1908 Private Messages NightGhost
mybell wrote:Seems to me that someone who calls themself Assassin should not be calling others haters.

Oh wait assassin's don't hate, they just kill for money. Sorry my bad.

Cheez - it's just an internet handle. It might refer to video games.

And sorry if my name scares you.

NightGhost

wolfgaidin wrote:Van Gogh was not submitting multiple self-portriats to contests on a website where the website's own rules should reject all but the first self-portrait.

He would have, but that would have violated the website's "two ears" rule.

NightGhost

kettes wrote:Seriously, Woot. You need to permanently ban rabbits, bears, penguins from all future shirts. Just Jatravartid.

How about slugs? Would slugs be okay?

basharoftheages

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basharoftheages
czar21 wrote:

win. Gonna keep this for all these bawwfests.

rue842

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rue842

I've read that people are suspicious Ramy is making up accounts in order to save Imposter at the last second. (Such as bunnypenguin22...apologies if that's actually a real individual.) This hasn't been proven, but I can definitely see the need for investigation. This would mean all of those accounts would own at least one shirt and be able to vote in derbies.

Wouldn't that screw up the democratic process if he can vote multiple times for himself?

chwdwile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chwdwile

Maybe instead of banning animals, people should stop voting for shirts with them on it.

isrn2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages isrn2

My son-in-law and granddaughter LOVE penguins. In for two! Their collection of Woot shirts contain quite a few Ramyb designs. What can I say ... cute works.

leprechaungirl

derkis wrote:

He can keep doing what he's doing, but ramyb is to shirt.woot what Thomas Kinkade is to fine art.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA......^THIS^

^_^ makes me happy!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

Some comments about comparing woot's voting to a democratic process...

Now by democracy we mean the majority rule or majority chooses what’s best for the whole. However this isn't how democracy plays out in the real world. Its how it plays out here at woot but not in the real world. Take the US system of government, for example.

Please understand I am not politically minded or have the vast knowledge of politics that others may have and I am not making a political statement with this post.

Yes the majority of votes picks or elects the president or many of the other governing roles, however votes in that system from varied states are weighed more than others.

Also there are 3 branches of government. If one branch passes a bill, one of the other branches can veto it. A bill goes through the Senate but gets kicked in the House of Reps. And even then these bills or rules put forward are not specifically voted on by the voters but by their rep or senator they elected in. And even still if the bill passes both houses, ultimately the president can veto it and put it to death.

So what does this have to do with voting at woot?

Yeah majority votes rule, but we need checks and balances in place. The staff should be the president and veto some of the crap that comes through.

They also have to weigh and review the votes. Some "hanging chads" have been reported and need to be investigated and votes clearly re-tallied and have a system implemented so voting issues will not rise up again. Should some votes be weighed more than others? That's hard to say. May p'ss others off. Possibly one's votes could weigh more based on their history of purchases? Possibly when it comes to artistic criticism or input?
Maybe votes can be viewed in two houses as well. Artist choice vs Consumer choice?

Plus if there are laws instituted, enforce them. Don't create them and implement them one time but then take a coffee break on enforcing them the next.

Hopefully some of these comments can be really reviewed and implemented by woot so its closer to a real world democratic process.

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr

Even though I'm not about to buy this shirt, and there were a number of other shirts in this derby that I would have happily bought as gifts if not for myself, the humor value here is great.

The write up had me laughing out loud, and when I went back and rewrote it, I caught even more to chuckle about(and I'm with whoever said the author should be identified), but am I the only one who thinks the artist picked the title as a comment to those who hate impostor and the alleged tactics used to keep it alive?

Next week's reckoning page is going to be interesting....two shirts with rows of penguins and two green shirts with rows of bears.

If the derby theme isn't already set in advance, I predict a "text only" derby! Wait, did Poe write a penguin poem? I can see the next derby winner now....

NightGhost

midgerock wrote:Take the US system of government, for example.

Please!

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55

Comparing ramyb to my beloved Patriots is...is...just take a knife and stab me through the heart Woot.

Katanaangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Katanaangel
Don’t wear this shirt: While blaming us for the failures of the democratic process.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Oh, wait a second...

SECONDeditnote: even if you ban penguins next week, guys, he'll come back with squirrels. You've been warned.

bongosolo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bongosolo
lauradzlg wrote:That writeup was hilarious.

I'm curious to see how many actually sell. Will people actually buy it, or do they just vote for the cutesy design and move on along?

I give up. In for 2 for my wife and me.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
midgerock wrote:Yeah majority votes rule, but we need checks and balances in place. The staff should be the president and veto some of the crap that comes through.

I agree with you on the process, but since Woot didn't reject this design based on "the similar shirts exist" rule, which the write-up indicates they felt applied, then I don't think the existence of a "Woot Veto" would have yielded any other results than what we have today.

Ramyb really is Woot’s dream designer. His stuff sells. Whether his stuff sells legitimately or his stuff sells because he’s buying stuff up through fake accounts, from a business perspective, that shouldn’t matter to Woot, because they’re making the same $10/$15. And I'm guessing that notion factors into their thought process on whether to reject an entry or not.

Borisimo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Borisimo

ahhh penguins have gone hipster!

wolfgaidin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin
NightGhost wrote:He would have, but that would have violated the website's "two ears" rule.

You have succeeded at being intentionally obtuse. Congratulations.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719

The Yellow "I Have 47 Identical Penguin Shirts" - sorry, "I Want One" button is dancing.

It must be nice to win using naught but a rubber stamp, no?

weez3ddo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weez3ddo
CapSea wrote:I will bet you respect that it does not sell out.

the i want one button is bouncing... looks like its gonna sell out after all...

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
skippykj wrote:I wish the write ups had the contributing writers listed so I could stop guessing who my favorite is.

Love you too, pal.

dferrantino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dferrantino

Die Hipster Penguin Die.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
kevlar51 wrote:I agree with you on the process, but since Woot didn't reject this design based on "the similar shirts exist" rule, which the write-up indicates they felt applied, then I don't think the existence of a "Woot Veto" would have yielded any other results than what we have today.

Ramyb really is Woot’s dream designer. His stuff sells. Whether his stuff sells legitimately or his stuff sells because he’s buying stuff up through fake accounts, from a business perspective, that shouldn’t matter to Woot, because they’re making the same $10/$15. And I'm guessing that notion factors into their thought process on whether to reject an entry or not.

Oh a woot veto would have worked. Veto says "no" to something. Woot has the final say on what they print. As to Ramyb stuff selling, well that's it. If no other choices are given then that’s all the consumer chooses. Same as with presidential elections. I feel most of the time it’s voting for what’s better of the 2 Sirius GPP choices given. Who may be best for job never is able to get a voice in the current political system. I'm not referring to me in this allusion but there are so many other designs, which are over looked and passed by. Voices, which if given the possibility of being printed, would usurp the choices, which have been previously provided. It also could change what the majority may want when it comes varied designs and tastes.

Look at McDonalds. Their history of crappy fattening food has been the majority consumer food. Other choices and health awareness in recent years along with documentaries showing how bad the food is has made McDonald’s change what they offer to the public so they don't lose an edge in being number one. Starbucks coffee known for excellent coffee now has a McDonald’s version. McDonald’s version not as good but people tap into that and now drink their crappy McCafe drinks. Wraps as a healthy choice people are buying up elsewhere. Now McDonald’s provides a choice in that market with many other examples to boot.

The point is having a strong sale history with same old same old doesn't mean it should continue in that direction. Trends in design have emerged which woot is missing out on if they continue to pander the same old same old. That's why implementing a woot veto, having them truly enforce their rules, including similar shirts exists and correcting their voting system, so alt accounts don't take the majority and weigh the votes differently would yeild more sales for woot and better and fresher designs seeing print.

lochnessa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lochnessa
Doobie1357 wrote:You people really whine alot...

Obviously people voted for this shirt. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It really is amazingly simple.

Aaaand people voted for "Prepare for World Nom-ination". I wonder why I can't buy that.

leprechaungirl

[quote postid="4359060" user="Katanaangel"]Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

:D lol are we gonna compare weight ratios for swallows next?

HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!

-jim-

quality posts: 5 Private Messages -jim-

Damn, missed by one minute. Shucks. Must wait for reckoning. Weak.

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
-jim- wrote:Damn, missed by one minute. Shucks. Must wait for reckoning. Weak.

Or you could wait for the next Ramy penguins t-shirt. Shouldn't be long.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

I only scanned through the previous comments, but did anyone else notice that they took Imposter off the list of Links? When did that happen?

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Wntrgarnet

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Wntrgarnet

DAMN IT WOOT!! you were not sold out, i put in my info and bam denied....

Woot-off Lights & Screaming Monkey
Sandisk Clip 1GB MP3 Player
Samsung Bluetooth Headset
USB Stuff<--:D So much fun!!!!
Ion Audio Portable USB Turntable

arrrrgh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arrrrgh

Maybe it is time for woot to expand. They could ban all cute submissions on shirt.woot, and start up a second derby on cute.woot.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Wntrgarnet wrote:DAMN IT WOOT!! you were not sold out, i put in my info and bam denied....

In case anyone doesn't know, you can find the shirt here tomorrow, for $15.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Ldyandrea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ldyandrea

Wow, talk about drama! Well, as someone who is a very frequent patron, but does not have the artistic talent to submit a design myself, I think everyone's overreacting a bit.

Personally, I get annoyed by the "none of this, none of that" list of rules that seem to be increasing with every derby. I have purchased shirts from here that were artistically beautiful, and others that I thought were cute, and still others that include some kind of clever geekery that I enjoy. So what if it comes from video games, or bunnies, or whatever? I come here for all of it! Frankly, when the selection gets too "artsy", I get bored by the entries as most of my favorite shirts I've purchased have been the more cutsey or humorous ones.

So, seriously....just get rid of the "don'ts" list completely. To my mind, it stifles creativity. If a submission is so very awful, it won't get the votes to print in the first place. If it does get the votes, then it's going to sell. Get over it.

Ldyandrea

kevlar51 wrote:

As a longtime and frequent purchaser, I can tell you I've bought quite a few of Ramyb's designs, and I don't buy any shirt unless I really like it and think it's wearable. Just because something is commercially popular shouldn't de-legitimize it.

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
Ldyandrea wrote:
So, seriously....just get rid of the "don'ts" list completely. To my mind, it stifles creativity.

Creativity is not rehashing the same design you've used before, but with just enough of an added graphical element to fit a new theme. If anything the don't lists FORCE creativity, not stifle it. They require people to not go with what's comfortable and safe, which is not being creative, and think of something new and different, which is pretty much the definition of creativity.

This shirt is not creative. This shirt is the same penguins that Ramy has used before, several times in fact, in previous derbys. It was apparently popular, but that's not the same as creative. The only new element of this design is the walkman, which was explicitly mentioned in the write-up for the theme. There's nothing original or creative in the construction. I can't fault Ramy for giving the masses what they want and figuring out a way to make money off it (that's a lie I can, I just won't for the time being), but one cannot look at this shirt in comparison to his past work and apply the word "creative".

Ldyandrea

kettes wrote:Seriously, Woot. You need to permanently ban rabbits, bears, penguins from all future shirts. Just Jatravartid.

I'd be willing to bet if they added up all of the revenues generated from shirt designs that include all of those things, they'd immediately reject it as a completely counterproductive move. Those shirts get votes, and they make money. End of story.

Ldyandrea

chwdwile wrote:Maybe instead of banning animals, people should stop voting for shirts with them on it.

THIS.