Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: The Great Bear-dini!

and the crowd goes wild!

oh, wait...

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Magic Gathering FAIL

It's been too long since I submitted. 6 colors. Enjoy!!!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
jmmbell1987 wrote:Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.

I'm going to have to agree. With the genie as a human it is much more of a non-sequitor as it paints a picture where it is unlikely the cat has any way to express its desire for a cheeseburger to the genie and the genie has no idea what the cat wants or even who rubbed the lamp.

With the genie a cat, it loses a great deal of subtlety and impact especially because there's no reason the genie should be a cat. I'm sure ramy will be a great resource for half-tones, shine and cramming the same cute animals into every design, but if you really want to improve, pay attention to the other designers here. Concept and execution is by far ramy's weakest area.

woodykins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodykins
Lish64 wrote:I was following your / her progress in the pre-derby topic. This came out nicely, tell her she did a great job for her first entry!

Thanks, I will.

I laughed at your post when you wrote "her first" entry. This might be her only entry! Man, oh, man but that was time-intensive. I DID learn a lot about Photoshop that I didn't know before, and could certainly do it quicker in the future, but I think I would really need to become proficient with halftones to really do justice to her work. I'm not sure if I have the patience for that right now.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Big Bad Voodoo Bunny

"Big Bad Voodoo Bunny"

The magic of Voodoo! Watch as this cute bunny sticks those little needles into the the stuffed toy! Oh how the kitty dances!!

Wanted to do something darker. LOL this is what I got.

woodykins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodykins
kaznai wrote:Your 10 year old already has a better grasp on drawing creatures than I do. I can't say that doesn't make me a little insecure. I'm mighty impressed.

She's an amazing artist. She's been drawing ever since she could hold a crayon at 18-months. My desk is currently cluttered with pages and pages of her art.

If you like her dragon, you should see her cats. She truly shines when she draws cats and dragons. Perhaps I will let her enter another derby if there is one that fits her abilities as well as this one (and I polish up a bit more on my Photoshop skills).

suzer22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages suzer22

I want the dragon shirt that one nerd is wearing!

raerae104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raerae104
Re: Oracle

no text this week going to be rejected

melonhead720

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melonhead720
Re: The Disappearing Mouse Trick

The mouse tail makes it look like the cats cheek has a smile....a little awkward to me...

dreiarmumig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreiarmumig
jmmbell1987 wrote:Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.

Agreed. Still like the shirt but with the genie being a normal one I'd like it a lot more.

Gally242

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Gally242
Re: Big Bad Voodoo Bunny

I love the little kitty voo-doo doll!

DianaSprinkle

Gally242 wrote:I love the little kitty voo-doo doll!

He will show the kitty his stabs! =D

PittViking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PittViking
Re: They call me... Tim

So many fond memories of watching Holy Grail. I must have this shirt if it wins. Good luck!

DianaSprinkle

megadog wrote:sadly i never had a pet rabbit to be able to notice that....(only had hamsters and mice) I just see them on here (too often - rabbits that is - but i love yours)lol
but good luck with your design

It's okay I had to check as well. =D Their little ears are soo cute.

bandit55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandit55
Re: Grimoire Ver 2

Love the design! Love the colors! Love the larger placement!

lumpyspaceprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyspaceprincess
Re: I Am Not Alone

up the side of the shirt nice!

nblottie

Re: TaDaa!

Took me a sec to find the turtles eyes. Love it! GMV

nblottie

Re: fire mage

Sweet dragon design, I was excited to see this one in color!

lumpyspaceprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyspaceprincess
Re: Sea Witch's favor... or curse?

I am a sucker 4 half-lings!

nblottie

Re: The Sorceress

Great line choices in this one. Really cool.

derkis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis

This is awesome. The painterly effect you've achieved rendering the fire looks superb especially given the color restrictions, and that rocky escarpment...tasty.

My only gripe is the gray shirt. I try to avoid buying gray and black tees, but if this print's I'll probably grab it anyways.

mrsbigeddi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsbigeddi
Re: Wizard Magic Party

This is such a wide band of wizards that there is something for everyone. I LOVE it and hope it stays in the fog and prints!

derkis

Re: The Illusionist

This is not bad, but the opacity and sharp edges of the shadows doesn't gel well with the thickly brushed background you have going on. If you blend them in as the shadow recedes it'd look more natural.

The halftone shading on the figure also seems kind stylistically out of place since the background dominates so much of the image, and is rendered in a completely different manner. And shouldn't there be some light on his face, his arm holding the cane, his hand, etc?

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: magic lamp

GMV - I can wear this when the hubs wears "Sabertooth Kitteh Can Haz Cheeseburger".

derkis

Re: magic lamp

Cute animals, memes...cop out! Sad part is this will probably print.

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: Expecto Catronus

GMV - I love HP, but this is the first shirt this round that I would wear in this meme

derkis

Re: Create life

Love this illustration, though personally I think it could benefit from a little bit more line weight on the overlaps. I kind of get lost when I'm looking the areas where the girl intersects the animals.

Also, I'm not sure that the theme would translate to somebody who was seeing the shirt divested from the derby. I think you're trying to suggest she drew the other animals too by the little splatters of color around their feet, but it's unclear. Maybe if you included some remnant of the drawing, a faded outline with a slight suggestion of color, it would improve the readability.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mrwednesday wrote:The only reason you have to have an interpretation is because there isn't a theme here. As with most of his shirts, the characters are pre-decided and they are shoehorned in to whatever the theme might be by throwing some stuff in the background. When a shirt's on theme there's no need to guess and ponder what it might be, it's readily apparent.

I have been thinking about this design and following the different interpretations. And I have to agree. While I think that the attention to detail (the background, for example) is much better than most of Ramy's submissions, the concept really doesn't exist. It's just rehashed characters with rehashed ideas pretzel-ed to fit the theme. I dislike this style so I wouldn't have voted in the first place, but if I were ever to come close to voting, the concept needs to follow the path of the detail here; it needs to be much better. To be fair, I think that most of the shirts in this derby are pretty horrible.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

derkis

Re: MAGIK

This is really cool, reminds me of a some pulpy sci-fi and/or fashion illustraions. Got my vote.

I think the girl's face looks a little large, maybe if you shrink her eye and move it closer to the nose, just slightly. Also her back leg looks thicker than the one in the foreground, and it's as long as it too despite the fact that it's receding.

JRWorkshop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

F(x)ckin' A!!! Amazing artwork Meg!!

derkis

Re: A magic drop of life

This is really pretty. Got my vote.

However again, I think it's a little confusing in terms of conveying the theme. If the girl magically infuses things with color, shouldn't she herself be colored? And perhaps if there was a suggestion of her path and other items scattered along it that had color, it would read better. You could also do some really neat things compositionally winding that path through the background.

mangotang0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mangotang0
awkwardmoose wrote:Oh boy, do I love this! As a loyal Slytherin, though, I'd love to see an albino ferret as Malfoy rather than one representing Ron..

It's not a ferret, it's a weasel. For Ron Weasely.

JRWorkshop

Siiiiick!!!+1

JRWorkshop

That's what I'm talkin' about! Great artwork guys!!

derkis

Re: Abracadammit

This is kind of gross--not sure I'd wear it--but I like it. It works really well as a shirt design too, which is not always the case even with some of the higher quality illustrations that get posted.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

So, all you changed is the face?

I have to agree with a couple of the above posters. This is just fan art. No parody, no original idea, no(t) on topic.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mdmbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdmbunny
Re: Tragic Magic Box

Here you can find a BIGGER VERSION

Thanks for watching and voting (:

megnolia7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megnolia7
thetrees62 wrote:Is this the Deja-Vu derby? Cuz I know I've seen this shirt, or the very least the characters, before.

I usually try to stay out of these ramyb discussions, and just read them for amusement, but I was impressed by the unusual effort ramyb appears to have put into this entry.

I started to get annoyed though when people kept commenting on how we've seen these characters before... I just wanted to point out that a lot of artists like to have their own characters make repeat appearances too, especially if people seem to like them, and nobody has a problem with that.

JRWorkshop

Still mind blowing, still in asphalt....Dilema dilema...

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

This is wonderful. GMV! I think a fiery killer bunny is parody.