Vote!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Just Robots

Lovely!

Vote!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
jasneko wrote:This looks really sharp studio1172! Nice first submission of the year

Thanks Jasneko - Hopefully I will have time to submit more this year.

jxchen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jxchen
agghhhhh wrote:I got bored and pulled the image into gimp. Probably not the best tool or reference for it but this shirt is using 7 colors (excluding the shirt color)

If the shirt is navy then the gun and lines are black and the shadow the robot is casting is the shirt color. If the shirt is black then the robots shadow is navy blue and the gun is the shirt color.

Here's my horrible comparison by zooming in on the image and using the eyedropper.

All 8 including possible shirt colors:
8b929c Robot Main Body
1b3045 ground
51b157 green stuff
265a7f light blue
0a1c20 black (possible shirt color)
0c1b1e robot shadow (possible shirt color)
ffffff white
4c6079 tombstone

If you zoom in it is clear that the gun and shadow are two different colors and either one makes it the 7th color used.

I count 7 colors as well.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
truffleshuffle wrote:So, for my process for this, I took a completely different approach. I did the line-work in photoshop like normal and then I printed out three copies of that with very low opacity (just enough to barely show up on the paper). Then, on each, I colored with colored pencil only the things of one certain color (so one was the robot's low-lights, one his highlights, and one the shading on the squid's tentacles). Then I scanned them in and made halftones out of each. The background dark blue, I painted with watercolor, scanned and made a halftone out of as well. I think I have more control over traditional media and I like the organic textures they produce so I thought I'd give this a try. Glad you like it!

Nice process! I assume you did that with the bunnies too??? I say keep it up. I think it looks great!

timelessblur

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
Re: Peace

the silver is a nice touch and not forced in and it looks really nice.

edenj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edenj

tmoroney1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmoroney1

THIS SHIRT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

capgun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capgun
Re: Away for Safe Keeping

Excellent!

Spawn08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spawn08

Sweet!!!

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
jxchen wrote:I count 7 colors as well.

If you zoomed in --
look at the 'zombie's' thumb nail ---- another colour of grey not like the grey of the tombstone or the 'silver' of the robots
If you are not in UK please replace 'grey' for 'gray' and 'colour' for 'color' lol

eatskittles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eatskittles
Re: Saving the world, one small step at a time

I like it :D
But like a few others mentioned, it would be nice to see the robots all one size/shape, that's about all

Tuism

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tuism
bluejester wrote:Ouch, sorry for the rejection, but it was a little too much video game and not enough parody. It might have been that the alien was the simply actual alien from space invaders and not an implication of it being there via negative space, or it being an amalgamation of other thing (Like a recent t-shirt print here was).

It was a nice first try though, please try again.

Oh darnit! And it took me a whole night and very little sleep... Ah well, try again next time!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots

This is great. I love the colors choices.

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
megadog wrote:If you zoomed in --
look at the 'zombie's' thumb nail ---- another colour of grey not like the grey of the tombstone or the 'silver' of the robots
If you are not in UK please replace 'grey' for 'gray' lol

so I count 7 colours
blue gray - ground
blue - background
white
green
bluish grey tombstone
silver - robots
grey - thumbnail of zombie
that is regardless of the 'color' of the shirt

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

Yeah, the reason I asked what color the shirt was is because I count 7 colors here as well. The only way it could have been 6 is if the shirt is black and my eyes are just failing in every way to see that the shadows/gun/stick aren't a wholly different color than the shirt.

PSquishy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PSquishy

More please!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

nsomniotic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nsomniotic
Re: Mirai

I'm glad you posted a link to the larger version, because after seeing the details I will definitely be purchasing this shirt. If not for myself, then for my little sister. She, like you, is an artist and has a great love for the culture of Japan. She started a Japanese Cultural club at her High school (though it could probably be considered an anime club) & is collecting donations to send to Japan - I know she'd love to have this shirt. First & foremost I see it as a nod to more traditional mecha & that made me click on the link and look at it closer.

I was wondering, I never saw the globe at the top as, well, the world, I saw it as more of a helmet with the reflection of Japan in it. I thought that was a beautiful nod to the origin of your inspiration. Also, don't know if it was intentional, but the cat's patterns immediately made me think of a koi fish. The artwork is truly beautiful & I hope it wins. Not because it has anything to do with Japan's horrible situation, but because I think it is a wonderful tribute to how inspired you are by Japanese culture.

Looking forward to getting them. And as a side note, please feel no obligation to donate your winnings. You did the work & you deserve whatever you earn.

wootastical.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

i count 6 colors but either way woot has the print ready file, if this is gonna print they will look at it and make the final decision.

im guessing with this many people complaining about the colors and its still not rejected its probably only 6 colors.

EDIT: also, im curious of how different shirt colors look on other computers because on my work computer and my computer at home this shirt color is obviously a navy color, it doesnt look like black at all.

dlblackwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlblackwell
Re: Turtlebot Earth RESUB x2

I like this one the best! +1

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

this reminds me of miyazaki's Ponyo =) also the robot at the bottome makes me think of canti, two of my favorites! really nice drawing!

scripe77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scripe77
Re: Lights Out!

this is so sickkkk

hunterm94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterm94
Re: Alien Vs Robot RESUB 2

I usually have about two or three shirts in the fog that i would buy or if not buy I at least hope they win. They usually don't. I hope your's does, I would definitely buy it.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
jmmbell1987 wrote:What a delightful piece. So many charming little details. And the color combo (yellow on heather gray) works really well, more than I'd imagine it to.

I've gotta say "ditto" all around!

thechristoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thechristoph

I like the robot hugging the earth, but I don't understand the rest of it. What is that supposed to represent? I must pass on this one. A less busy, less confusing version with just the robot hugging the earth would be better.

harmen13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmen13

Reminds me of FLCL.

harmen13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmen13

like this

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
timelessblur wrote:the silver is a nice touch and not forced in and it looks really nice.

Yeah, I was super happy with how that the silver part turned out. I had fun trying to figure out how to make the gears and cogs in Illustrator. Thanks for the comment. =D

kingwoot2008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingwoot2008
Re: Fate of the Planet

Is that an 03 or 83 on his chest?

mystymaples

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mystymaples

I think this is a beautiful shirt. I was particularly drawn to the girl controlling the robot, wondering hmm, does that qualify as anime or manga? Not up to speed on either.

Who determines quality posts anyway? I think someone should be in the negative...

bassanimation wrote:Here is a larger image of this design, for those interested.

Mirai large version

Thank you for your comments.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
Re: Steam Robo Saves London

Thanks for looking!

A composition popped into my head where a steam power train robot lobs a bomb into some London terrorizing baddies maw. I don't usually work in vector programs, turns out it's a lot of work to convert photoshop rasters into 6 color vectors :|

Uses a little bit of metallic gold around the jagged teeth and for some nifty FX on the bomb being thrown in.

jonbsan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonbsan
Re: Faith in technology resub

This shirt is intended as a meditation on man versus nature. As seen recently in Japan, technology and fail-safe systems do not stand up against the extremes of the natural world. Any proceeds from this shirt will be donated to the American Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami fund.

rrb97reg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rrb97reg
sogj wrote:I would LOVE this if there were some text explaining it! that's a hilarious concept

Thanks for the suggestion! See below for version 2.0 with 100% more incidental text:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51215

rrb97reg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rrb97reg
Re: Robots for the Ethical Treatment of Humans 2.0

Now with 100% more incidental text!

mystymaples

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mystymaples

Ok, my last post confused me, I thought it went on a different shirt. Thanks for not showing the recycling of the cat Very cool design!

Re: The Three New Laws

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
Re: Crush... Kill... Restore...

This is awesome. I'm sad it's not in the Fog. My wife and her friend also say this is their favorite design in this derby. Thanks wife... for not voting for my design ;-)

But for everyone who says this is the "exact same" design I completely disagree. It was clearly Chump's intent to create something he was passionate about. We're a community of artists, instead of tearing someone down because their design has similar attributes of a different design we should be complimenting him on his incredible ART.

Nothing is "original" nowadays. Everything has been done. You think Shakespeare was the first guy to write about twins separated at birth, or love triangles, or prince sought on vengeance? All of those were taken from Greek plays or older stories.

My point is this. Chump did a great job and this is beautiful!

PSquishy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PSquishy
megsck wrote:i count 6 colors but either way woot has the print ready file, if this is gonna print they will look at it and make the final decision.

im guessing with this many people complaining about the colors and its still not rejected its probably only 6 colors.

EDIT: also, im curious of how different shirt colors look on other computers because on my work computer and my computer at home this shirt color is obviously a navy color, it doesnt look like black at all.

I see navy. I think people are asking so much because of the shirt color being used as the sixth color. If it's navy, pretty weird. If it's black, it makes more sense.

mewmew34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewmew34

I don't get why the zombie is in there but it's still cute. ^_^ If they make this one I'd but it.

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04
neurotony wrote:i am c0nfus3d about what will and won't be part of the final shirt design if i vote. it's a nice graphic just not clearly represented.

Yeah, this was my first attempt at having the enlarged background transparent graphic. Other artists do it all the time, and needless to say I didn't exactly pull it off as artistically as I would have liked. I'm not good with Photoshop stuff like halftone dots and transparencies. But that's why I do this, to improve. Perhaps some day my talents will convert to cash.