+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's weird to think that in today's world, just existing subjects you to a ceaseless bombardment of advertising, marketing gimmicks, and various ham-fisted attempts to convince you to buy junk. People will buy a t-shirt with a logo on it, essentially paying for the right to be walking billboards. So why not spread the capitalist spirit? This week give us your best takes on updated, "hip," and new slogans for common, every day products. Let us be perfectly clear: you're not coming up with slogans for trademarked brands, so no "Mountain Dew: For When You Need to Drink Vegetable Oil!" shirts. You would have to do something like "Green Viscous Soda!" Other generic products to give you a better idea include bread, toothpaste, toilet paper, Cola, and yard sticks. Now for the rules:

• No copyrighted or trademarked product names. Seriously. Keep it generic.
  • Your design must have a graphic element. No "text only" designs.
  • No using any existing slogan or part of an existing slogan for a different product. So your "Bananas: Just Do It" design will have to wait.
  • Your product must be real. We'll do a "slogans for made up products" derby the next time we want to go text heavy.
  • We mean tangible things instead of concepts. Not "sleeping" or "exercise" or "advice".
  • We're not looking for you to create a brand. Your shirt should promote the objects themselves.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Sounds fun. Thanks for including the graphic element to keep the Microsoft Word entries out.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

tacos: not just for o-roc anymore.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I predict Boots is going to steal this show :D.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
no1 wrote:tacos: not just for o-roc anymore.

Wow, that's catchier (and slightly less racist) than my "Tacos: not just for beaners anymore" idea.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
bassanimation wrote:I predict Boots is going to steal this show :D.

This is your derby Boots!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

TACO DERBY!!

I can also see the possibility for some funny design slogans for mocking generic drugs like restless leg syndrome, or male pattern baldness or low testosterone or something.

I hate all those tv commercials.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
walmazan wrote:This is your derby Boots!

"Boots - making slogans to almost everything*

*Except the Boots slogan, that's mine"

aeris82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeris82

World of Warcraft: Because the dragons aren't going to kill themselves!

(With a picture of an emo-suicidal Nefarian.)

I don't have the gift of art, but if someone made it, I'd buy it.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
aeris82 wrote:World of Warcraft: Because the dragons aren't going to kill themselves!

(With a picture of an emo-suicidal Nefarian.)

I don't have the gift of art, but if someone made it, I'd buy it.

If someone made it, it would get rejected...

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

Question. Does it have to be a product that's already being sold? Or could it be an everyday thing turned into a marketable product?

Generic example would be... I don't know, dead leaves? Nobody packages and sells dead leaves (well, maybe somebody does, but let's pretend nobody does), but it is a real world thing and not made up.

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Instant Ramen: Over 40 years of making college students miss real food.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Had this one sitting around for a while... I think it fits into the derby pretty well... Think I'll have to redo the text though, it's not thrilling me...any thoughts?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Johndis5 wrote:Question. Does it have to be a product that's already being sold? Or could it be an everyday thing turned into a marketable product?

Generic example would be... I don't know, dead leaves? Nobody packages and sells dead leaves (well, maybe somebody does, but let's pretend nobody does), but it is a real world thing and not made up.

Dead leaves would be fine. As long as it's an everyday thing, whether it's actually sold or not in the real world doesn't matter.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

My first derby with text, I'm excited!

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee

Coffee: without it I would have killed you years ago.

awcoburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awcoburn
mindputtee wrote:Coffee: without it I would have killed you years ago.

Ha! Love it!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I would buy that one and wear it to work.

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
Johndis5 wrote:Question. Does it have to be a product that's already being sold? Or could it be an everyday thing turned into a marketable product?

funny enough there is a company that uses dried leaves and twigs to make furniture and household products lol

venturboy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages venturboy

Spread the capitalist spirit around? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Johndis5

venturboy wrote:Spread the capitalist spirit around? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Why do you hate America? ;)

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

Okay so I have a question. I emailed the Derbymeister but she is out of town until Monday.

I want to do a product but it's really abstract so...what do y'all think, would this pass Rejection Muster?

"Blogs: Because the internet needs more opinions."

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

sogj

walmazan wrote:This is your derby Boots!

Yuppers.

bellisperennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellisperennis
sogj wrote:Okay so I have a question. I emailed the Derbymeister but she is out of town until Monday.

I want to do a product but it's really abstract so...what do y'all think, would this pass Rejection Muster?

I think it should pass, as long as you can come up with a graphic element to represent a blog, somehow.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

+++++++1!!!!

I came in this morning, and the coffee wasn't ready. I was extra tired and extra grumpy. I had to go make it before I turned into crazysaurus...

bluejester

sogj wrote:Okay so I have a question. I emailed the Derbymeister but she is out of town until Monday.

I think it would work, but the only problem I see with it is that it's an intangable thing. Everything that has flitted through my head and that people have mentioned that we could see for this contest have been for things that you can physically touch.

Could Travis weigh in on intangables? What about adverts for dreams, nightmares, blogs, and such things that are real, but you can't physically hold them?

bluejester

More of a soda drinker myself, but yeah.

Caffeine should be done as an advert too.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
graffd02 wrote:Had this one sitting around for a while... I think it fits into the derby pretty well... Think I'll have to redo the text though, it's not thrilling me...any thoughts?

To me, it would fit the theme a little better if it was something like

"TECHNO
One in four robots doesn't like it."

That way you're clearly identifying the product first.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

finally! a chance to think of a slogan for my adult onesie...

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

Coolness! I am so in!

sogj

bellisperennis wrote:I think it should pass, as long as you can come up with a graphic element to represent a blog, somehow.

Of course, I already have the design sketched.

sogj

bluejester wrote:I think it would work, but the only problem I see with it is that it's an intangable thing. Everything that has flitted through my head and that people have mentioned that we could see for this contest have been for things that you can physically touch.

Could Travis weigh in on intangables? What about adverts for dreams, nightmares, blogs, and such things that are real, but you can't physically hold them?

This is exactly what I was trying to ask and couldn't figure out the right words. Thanks!

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
bluejester wrote:I think it would work, but the only problem I see with it is that it's an intangable thing. Everything that has flitted through my head and that people have mentioned that we could see for this contest have been for things that you can physically touch.

Dreams are real? I thought they're just dreams. j/k

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

So what if we have a real world object. But the slogan is aimed at a certain something that exists only in fantasies??

Johndis5

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

gutfeeling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gutfeeling
Johndis5 wrote:Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I think I would buy that for my husband... he he

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Thats pretty funny, but can they print it?

gutfeeling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gutfeeling

I was thinking of doing one about adult diapers. The slogan would be +15 stamina for those never ending raids.... any ideas?

sogj

I think it's super funny, but will it get rejected? It's obviously satire, so i don't see any copyright violations, but would it violate the rules of this derby?