kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
djtheatre wrote:I'm glad someone got this reference. My first thought was literally just a styrofoam cup of dirt... but it appears only we would wear it.

Um Are you kidding me?! It's a CUP with dirt IN it! i call it a cup of dirt!
i had nine months to work on it, i did nothing, all i have is a cardboard box. a boxen.

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
rogerrogerroger wrote:

probably not the kind of thing that does particularly well on woot...but fun for funsies sake. what do you think?

Does froggy have Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Is that why his lower intestines look so angry?

damask16

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damask16
Johndis5 wrote:I don't think you were trying to sneak a mario reference in, as you don't seem to do that even when it's allowed, but I immediately thought of this guy from mario galaxy when I saw it. I'd consider a slight color adjustment to be safe. But who knows, even that might not help.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Super-Mario-Galaxy-super-mario-galaxy-454078_800_450.jpg

I would worry about the Mario reference as well with a red plant. Being a Little Shop fan as well, if you want to look more like that, make the plant more greeny-yellow than red. Or make the Plant more purple and speckled and that way you wouldn't have to start with green and yellow baby flowers which I don't think would work as well.

Regardless, stay away from Plumber Red and either way, this totally GMV!

lunadust12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunadust12
midgerock wrote:here's mine!

i know the title doesn't print but its very close to their logo
http://www.fresh.com/?gclid=CPnShr6JjagCFYNx5QodczMrDQ

i love this though!

KRosey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KRosey

Ahh, I can't wait to see what you all come up with this week.

My son just completed his experiment for the 5th grade science fair. He chose Mass vs Velocity... Hot Wheels Cars, Quarters, Track and a HW Radar Gun.
Anyone turns that into a winnin design- I'd buy 3 in an instant so we can all wear it during his presentation!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:ha, great minds think alike. and then mine does....

on an elementary school level there was always the chocolate spitting volcano, with little marshmellow citizens.

(Image snipped for space)

is this funny?

That's awesome. Make the Peep a little less bird-like would be my suggestion, although it's a fine line between drawing a "peep" and a Peep(tm).

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
megsck wrote:haha, this is funny, im not sure how many people would want to wear it though, but of course i could be wrong. it does make me laugh, and it just ridiculous, the more i look at it the more i like it, haha.

Thanks. I couldn't really come up with something blatantly funny. So I went more with something a bit off and peculiar. Who doesn't want a glowing pickle?!
I agree, it is weird, and not entirely sure who would wear it...but those were my two favorite experiments back in the day.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I started out thinking how kids love to involve their pets in the science fair, and then got to this with the question "How much lighter than air is helium?"

First mistake: he's more of a tortoise.

Second mistake: forgot to tie him to the table.

Good bye sky-turtle! ::waving::

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
midgerock wrote:here's mine!

maybe a diving board instead?

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre

OK... just because this makes me laugh.

And if you want to get the reference... Click here and skip to about 3:45

sTyLeS

djtheatre wrote:OK... just because this makes me laugh.

And if you want to get the reference... Click here and skip to about 3:45

Well, it's a cup, with dirt in it. I call it Cup Of Dirt.

Sapherynth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth

I think someone should do the experiment of how to tell if a person is a witch :D.

triatomico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triatomico
renovatioxii wrote:All the info I could find on it was on wiki and it was listed as EN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylenediamine

Yes, indeed the common abbreviation for ethylenediamine is EN. Probably not seen so often by an organic chemist but very familiar to inorganic or organometallic chemists.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Sapherynth wrote:I think someone should do the experiment of how to tell if a person is a witch :D.

Haha! I was actually working on this.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:I started out thinking how kids love to involve their pets in the science fair, and then got to this with the question "How much lighter than air is helium?"

Haaa this is so cute! That poor little guy is like whaaiii? Awesome job, SG!

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

18XX Science Faire Showdown:

Please let me know what you think, and thanks.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Drakxxx wrote:18XX Science Faire Showdown:

Fantastic! I'd be concerned about how this fits with the "keep it at a middle school level" though.

sTyLeS

I always love your art, Drakxxx. And this one is no exception. But sometimes your on-topicness is a bit off. And I fear this one would be too.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
bassanimation wrote:Haaa this is so cute! That poor little guy is like whaaiii? Awesome job, SG!

:D Thanks bass'.

Are you in this week?

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre

Definitely awesome. GMV if it gets past the rejectionator.

thatrobert

Here's what I'll be entering. I'm a little concerned that the story isn't entirely clear. What do you think?

KyleABrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KyleABrown

Real science fair advice from a sometimes judge:
1) You must measure something. (The Diet Coke went 39.2" in the air when Mentos was introduced.)
2) You must compare something to something else. (The Diet Coke went 0" in the air when a Hershey's Kiss was introduced.)
3) You must repeat your measurements enough to eliminate random chance as an element. (On 4 trials with Mentos, I observed 39.2", 34", 40.1", and 18" sprays of Diet Coke)
4) You should account for measurement variation. Gets more demanding in higher age brackets. (I surmise the 18" measurement occurred because there was not very much Diet Coke left in the bottle.)

Volcanos are dynamic art projects, not science fair projects - unless you figure out how to measure and compare stuff using your volcano.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Based on a suggestion by pixelpants, I decided to try another layout as well (a little different than what you suggested pixel, but it inspired me - thanks!).
What do people think? This previous slanted version, or this new bar graph/levels type version?

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
thatrobert wrote:Here's what I'll be entering. I'm a little concerned that the story isn't entirely clear. What do you think?

Is this showing how different music affects the growth of flower? Regardless, I love how the soft jazz (I would have said smooth jazz) flower has been uprooted and is now being used as a guitar.

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

jackmando7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackmando7
sTyLeS wrote:Why? I don't think video games have any place in a science fair...

When was the last time woot printed a GOOD video game shirt; one that is wearable by a self respecting adult?

KWildman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KWildman

Here's an idea if people still need one...

Does anyone remember the Potato Obstacle Course? It's the one where you put a potato in a box with lots of things to go through (tubes, spools, Legos, etc.) with a small hole cut out of the box on the far side.

Let sit for a few weeks - when you see roots popping out of the hole, open the box to see what crazy things the roots did!

clarinerd

jasneko wrote:Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Based on a suggestion by pixelpants, I decided to try another layout as well (a little different than what you suggested pixel, but it inspired me - thanks!).
What do people think? This previous slanted version, or this new bar graph/levels type version?

I like the original better. I get a more 'sciencey' vibe from it and it perhaps shows the input/output correlation a little more clearly and in a more visually appealing way.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
jackmando7 wrote:When was the last time woot printed a GOOD video game shirt; one that is wearable by a self respecting adult?

That kind of thing exists?

jasneko

clarinerd wrote:I like the original better. I get a more 'sciencey' vibe from it and it perhaps shows the input/output correlation a little more clearly and in a more visually appealing way.

Thanks clarinerd. Would it help if I added addition symbols, like I had in the other one? Or is it more the shape and layout that you liked better?

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Spiritgreen wrote:I started out thinking how kids love to involve their pets in the science fair, and then got to this with the question "How much lighter than air is helium?"

Seems to have more of an expression than a regular turtle would. Is it that hard to do an animal without giving it an exaggerated expression?

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jackmando7 wrote:When was the last time woot printed a GOOD video game shirt; one that is wearable by a self respecting adult?

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
jasneko wrote:Thanks clarinerd. Would it help if I added addition symbols, like I had in the other one? Or is it more the shape and layout that you liked better?

I agree that the first one was more obvious that it was an experiment comparing them. I wonder if moving the symbols into the background as the plants? Or putting them underneath like labels on an axis?

sTyLeS

The question I have is with his eyes/nostrils. My eyes keep switching between two eyes showing, and one eye and one nostril. Which is it?

clarinerd

jasneko wrote:Thanks clarinerd. Would it help if I added addition symbols, like I had in the other one? Or is it more the shape and layout that you liked better?

For me it wasn't so much about the addition symbols as the layout--but in the end I'd vote for either design.

thatrobert

clarinerd wrote:Is this showing how different music affects the growth of flower? Regardless, I love how the soft jazz (I would have said smooth jazz) flower has been uprooted and is now being used as a guitar.

Perfect. I wasn't sure the uprooting/guitar part was clear enough. Thanks!

And you're right about "smooth jazz" being a more common term. Is that worth fixing?

therealjohnmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therealjohnmc

My thought for this that I have sketched out is a "Recycled" Science Fair project. Imagine a standard tri fold cardboard backer and across the top it reads something like "The 8 Planets of our Solar System" where the 8 has been taped over the original number '9' and arrayed in all their craft foam glory are the colored representations of each planet and a conspicuous gap where Pluto would have been, having been removed from the backer. On the paper taped to the bottom section where they have the info for the project, they have just covered over the info about Pluto on the write up with more paper. Basically the kid is trying to pass off an older siblings much earlier work as their own and doing a poor job at that. I have a sketch, but I am no artist and have no real design experience, no clue how to send it up to Woot yet.

bellisperennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellisperennis
Nekkochan wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but plants that like acidic soil actually WILL grow better with coffee in addition to water. I don't drink coffee myself, but when I worked in an office I'd routinely add a little of the day's leftover coffee to my weekly watering can. The peace lilies, dwarf orange trees, and philodendrons loved it.

That was actually the point of the drawing... coffee makes them grow better! (In some cases...) I guess the title is a bit misleading then.

Also, you rock. I am going to go feed my office peace lily some coffee and see what happens.

jasneko

@clarinerd - ok thanks!

amreli wrote:I agree that the first one was more obvious that it was an experiment comparing them. I wonder if moving the symbols into the background as the plants? Or putting them underneath like labels on an axis?

Thanks amreli! Hmmm This probably isn't what you meant, but your comment inspired another layout...

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote::D Thanks bass'.

Are you in this week?

Nope, Im out. I have some pressing work this weekend so I has no time. I'll be around watching tho :D.