Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Re: Science Class

Please explain to me how this is on topic.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Re: In Harmony

This could be so cool if you used slightly more vibrant colors. The concept is appealing to me though.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

dukeofimprov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dukeofimprov
Re: Experimental Fail

I think it is hilarious. So what? Dead turtles. Yes it is a little depressing but there is no bad intention here. My sister once brought a baby chick to school in a plastic bag. There were no holes in said bag. You can see what happened here. In a perfect world there is no way this would happen but when I was younger I wanted a ninja turtle. Luckily I never got my hands on chemicals or turtles.
+1 for a great design.
+1 cojones points for big cojones

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
Re: Experimental Fail

Everything else aside, the design is just too small and detailed for a t-shirt. Detailed as in labels and weapons, not as intricate.

Conceptually, however, I enjoy this sort of humor, and see no harm in chuckling at the misfortune of some cartoon turtles.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

Derby #194: Science

Ok gang, we here at Woot were playing with potatoes and glitter while we brainstormed for this week's derby theme. Then, as we saw the glitter actually stick to the potato, effectively turning it into a lumpy disco ball, it hit us! "SCIENCE!", we shouted in unison! It was a no brainer, but you know what is a brainer? Rules, so here they are.

No video games or Star Wars
Incidental text only. Unless you need a lot of text to make your various shapes make sense.
Make sure it's science related! We all know how everything that exists is connected to science, so we want to see you draw something like that.

midstarrynight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midstarrynight
Re: The Little Inventor

Really well done and a neat idea! I love the way it flows.

uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
VonMonkey wrote:Wow! It's a shame this is submitted so late, because it's awesome- I really love the style!

Thanks for the comments

@VonMonkey, Hope springs eternal

dwnmoser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwnmoser

Wow. I've been reading threads on woot for ages and finally had to post.

When I read the rules and saw the "no anthropomorphized" animals, I thought, "it'll be interesting to see what Ramy does - bet a bunch of people are glad to see this rule."

Then I read this post. Holy balls, you people bring your own dirt and water to these things.

Ramy likes doing cutesy designs. People buying woot shirts like buying cutesy designs. Seems like a good match. To all you people griping about the negative effect this has on "creativity" or "exposing new artists" or "cheapening the idea of what art is" blah blah blah - go cry someone else. If "art" is what you're trying to push, you're in the wrong place. It's a T-Shirt site for eff's sake.

If people wanted to buy the shirts you want woot to sell, they'd win the derby.

I'm not saying highly artistic shirts don't belong here, but I am saying that you're hating on the person who is supplying shirts people obviously want in a forum designed to pair artist and consumer. You don't like the buyers here - sell somewhere else. Don't tear down a designer who's found the right audience.

And the "who wants to buy the same shirt over and over" argument is crap too - people who like Ramy's shirts don't necessarily have to buy all of them. I'll buy a couple, I appreciate a few others, and I don't buy the rest. But clearly people do, or they wouldn't win derbies and they wouldn't last for weeks or months on the Reckoning.

Also, I'd like to point out that as nasty as the insults have gotten, Ramy's only posted comments defending his idea behind the design and hasn't gotten into pissing contests with the haters. Kudos on that, Ramy. You've shown a lot of restraint when people are tearing into simply because that's become their thing.

Jeez people. Stop hating and get back to drawing awesome shirts. It's a much more likely method for unseating Ramy in the fog.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: The Little Inventor

I'll add my accolades too. This is simply wonderful! Love the style, the perspectives, the attention to detail, everything. I'd love to see this shoot up into the fog.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar

I see one of my cats in this... for that... I heart it... well that and no one does cats or CATerpillars like you.

eggspaghet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eggspaghet
dreadwood wrote:Meh.

dude this one sucks

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
midgerock wrote:this really quite amazing, Kasey! As darkxxx mentioned I really love your designed and amzed at the range of work you submit. pretty frickin' awesome in my book. I think why this design isn't doing as well as it should the ever present dislike of creme colored shirts but I think its fitting for this design and can't really imagine it on any other color. gmv.

Thanks! I went into it knowing people don't care much for cream but I had to go for it anyways!!! And thanks to everybody else that has supported the design, you guys are awesome! Its what keeps me coming back to woot.

theparanoidandroid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theparanoidandroid
Re: Pulley Overkill

l2science nub

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

Love the colors, the shading, and just the overall look. Fantastic job!

AshCorey150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AshCorey150

That is not how you make turtle soup!
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Turtle-Soup
As a avid hunter and fisherman I proudly support PETA.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Got my vote, and I'd love this shirt in addition to The Epic Begins.

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
Re: Prism Light Insight

I'm concerned that it looks just ever so slightly too cartoony, but I like the way you made it so it gets a vote.

bkearney09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09

I'm kicking myself so hard right now...I had this idea initially when they posted the derby, and started sketching stuff up for it. Then I saw in the thread that you were working on the same thing, and I figured not many people would get the reference anyways, so I abandoned the idea. Boy am I a fool.

Are you working on a re-sub or is this your final design? I'll vote for sure if you polish it up a bit. Maybe a better font for the text, add a few embellishments. Regardless, my hat is off to you sir.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Assassin15 wrote:This could be so cool if you used slightly more vibrant colors. The concept is appealing to me though.

These colors will show up great on the printed shirt! I unchecked my other choices, too.

flammeundschnee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flammeundschnee
Re: feet first feat

I would introduce some shading in this to make it clearer what is where with the legs. it would look much better.

dwnmoser

rocketjohn wrote:I have to admit that hand-on-heart I really liked this when I saw it.

I don't care that the pluto thing is massively over-done - I do care that the shirt isn't very on-topic.

I care most that the shirt is by ramy, however, and so will never get a vote from me.

Aaaaaaaand this is why the Ramy hating is BS. You whine and moan, then when he does a design you actually like, you make it more about the designer than the design itself. Why should he bother listening to you people when straying from his aesthetic won't even make you happy?

Bunch of harpies, y'all.

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
bkearney09 wrote:
Are you working on a re-sub or is this your final design? I'll vote for sure if you polish it up a bit. Maybe a better font for the text, add a few embellishments. Regardless, my hat is off to you sir.

I wasn't planning a re-sub. the font is my own handwriting and i wanted a "lazy boy wrote it one there last minute kind of look" haha. I might try to re-sub if i have some time. Thanks though!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Johndis5 wrote:Derby #194: Science

Ok gang, we here at Woot were playing with potatoes and glitter while we brainstormed for this week's derby theme. Then, as we saw the glitter actually stick to the potato, effectively turning it into a lumpy disco ball, it hit us! "SCIENCE!", we shouted in unison! It was a no brainer, but you know what is a brainer? Rules, so here they are.

No video games or Star Wars
Incidental text only. Unless you need a lot of text to make your various shapes make sense.
Make sure it's science related! We all know how everything that exists is connected to science, so we want to see you draw something like that.

I think this theme is kind of poopy. With that said, I am glad people are able to bend and even break the theme and get away with it. That way there are designs that are actually appealing to people like me that could careless about the true theme.... if that make sense.

I will agree. There are a lot of unrejected designs that don't adhere to the topic, science fair.

Edit: I got this from the main thread, so I have no idea what design this comment is in... just putting that out there because I don't know if this applies to the design or not.

jzlosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzlosman
dwnmoser wrote:I'm not saying highly artistic shirts don't belong here, but I am saying that you're hating on the person who is supplying shirts people obviously want in a forum designed to pair artist and consumer.

Unfortunately I don't think that all the votes come from the "consumers" though. People vote for cool/cute designs not good shirt designs. I think the "I Want One" button should require you to put down the payment and if that shirt wins, you already bought it. If it doesn't you get your money back. That way you stop voting for cool designs and vote for cool shirt designs that you will actually wear.

HansonMcCrotch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HansonMcCrotch
dwnmoser wrote:Wow. I've been reading threads on woot for ages and finally had to post.

When I read the rules and saw the "no anthropomorphized" animals, I thought, "it'll be interesting to see what Ramy does - bet a bunch of people are glad to see this rule."

Then I read this post. Holy balls, you people bring your own dirt and water to these things.

Ramy likes doing cutesy designs. People buying woot shirts like buying cutesy designs. Seems like a good match. To all you people griping about the negative effect this has on "creativity" or "exposing new artists" or "cheapening the idea of what art is" blah blah blah - go cry someone else. If "art" is what you're trying to push, you're in the wrong place. It's a T-Shirt site for eff's sake.

If people wanted to buy the shirts you want woot to sell, they'd win the derby.

I'm not saying highly artistic shirts don't belong here, but I am saying that you're hating on the person who is supplying shirts people obviously want in a forum designed to pair artist and consumer. You don't like the buyers here - sell somewhere else. Don't tear down a designer who's found the right audience.

And the "who wants to buy the same shirt over and over" argument is crap too - people who like Ramy's shirts don't necessarily have to buy all of them. I'll buy a couple, I appreciate a few others, and I don't buy the rest. But clearly people do, or they wouldn't win derbies and they wouldn't last for weeks or months on the Reckoning.

Also, I'd like to point out that as nasty as the insults have gotten, Ramy's only posted comments defending his idea behind the design and hasn't gotten into pissing contests with the haters. Kudos on that, Ramy. You've shown a lot of restraint when people are tearing into simply because that's become their thing.

Jeez people. Stop hating and get back to drawing awesome shirts. It's a much more likely method for unseating Ramy in the fog.

I started to read the 9 paragraph comment that you left about this t-shirt, then my ADD kicked in and I started thinking about something else (I can't remember what), then I tried seeing how many times I could crack my knuckles in a row, then I got hungry and made a sandwich - man I really like tuna salad. Wait a minute, what was I talking about again???

skaake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaake
Re: Show Off

One of the funnest things we did in sixth grade science class was grow green beans. We had to measure them and observe their growth.

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
~Henry Van Dyke

chio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chio

Awesome design! would love to have this shirt, no matter what

dwnmoser

HansonMcCrotch wrote:I started to read the 9 paragraph comment that you left about this t-shirt, then my ADD kicked in and I started thinking about something else (I can't remember what), then I tried seeing how many times I could crack my knuckles in a row, then I got hungry and made a sandwich - man I really like tuna salad. Wait a minute, what was I talking about again???

You bothered to count the paragraphs though.

HansonMcCrotch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HansonMcCrotch
blinddog3d wrote:Now I know why people love and hate you. This is simply put genius. You have a deft hand and a crafty brain.

I bet you like to play games, and probably really well. Risk, Chess, D&D, Tomb Raider... any of those hit? Oh, really? Hand-eye, I would've guessed that.

I'm brUno, the Blind Dog. I work mostly 3D, but I'm an old-school artist/cartoonist. I've done editorial and charicatures. I like telling stories with pictuers but I have a tendency to "show off" and over work/think stuff.

The quality I admire most in an artist is restraint. Restraint with the power to kill. It's like the old sensei that looks at you and you don't even consider making a move on him. Be cause you have no idea what he knows or what he'll do. I admire a man that learn his game and uses every strand to their advantage. This is what makes "Go" and Wooting so much FUN!

The TNMT was genius. Not the image, the entry. It's a distraction. You're good, really good. I've already figured out whot the "Dirty Dozen" are... and who the "Trinity" is and who all the other angels that are in Heather-Grey land.

I will get to know you. I will win one of these, ...soon, (I gotta get my swing adjusted for competition) within six months, and I will converse with you, then, as a peer. I will admire and challenge you till then.

On-e gai-simashu, Ha-jime no Dong-Ki Kon-GO!
(Thank you in advance, Please, but it's "On like Donkey Kong!")
BlindDog3D
brUno O'shoogar

This is out-of-this-world-class stuff, here. I have bumped your count with my vote, not that you would need it.

I think i just rolled my eyes so hard that I hurt myself...

kiveya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiveya
Re: Science Class

I think its very much on topic, I built a model space station out of legos for one OF my science fairs - I didn't even use glue and all the pieces kept falling off from people poking it Clearly this kid has me beat and I hope he wins!

Very beautiful and inspirational design! YGMV

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
ramyb wrote:Solar system dioramas were the most common thing to see from early elementary school students in the science fair when I was growing up, often accompanied by some info about planets, etc. At early ages, many science fair projects are more of small research projects to learn a little bit about a topic, and astronomy is a popular one.

The problem is the topic is middle school science fair, not elementary school science fair. Based upon your own words, this is off topic.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
chumpmagic wrote:That way there are designs that are actually appealing to people like me that could careless about the true theme.... if that make sense.

That's a really unfortunate statement, especially when it is coming from a designer.

MontyJr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MontyJr
dwnmoser wrote:You bothered to count the paragraphs though.

Good defense of your design ramyb. Artists should be able to elaborate on the topic and do things from their own perspective, it usually turns out better than if taken too literally.

FatMouse66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FatMouse66
kiveya wrote:I think its very much on topic, I built a model space station out of legos for one OF my science fairs - I didn't even use glue and all the pieces kept falling off from people poking it Clearly this kid has me beat and I hope he wins!

Very beautiful and inspirational design! YGMV

Thanks a lot. your comment made my day

unanimoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unanimoose
Re: The RYB color model

I SOOOOOOOOO WANT THIS TO WIN!!!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

amreli wrote:I have the same problem. Like anything, they're good in moderation...

lol! Then I'm being responsible and moderate with mine! yay! :D

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic
Re: Minor Modifications

Okay this is a funny shirt. The Pluto thing has been done before, but this is the best (and most wearable) I've seen. I'm thinking about buying this if it prints.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The Color Solution

The Color Solution

Guys, I made a video process when I did this shirt, maybe will be help full for you!

Note: its the full process and my english is not very good, but I hope works for you!

we will cover: Half toning, prepare the files for printing, and some spanish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjun0CnnoUo

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Johndis5 wrote:That's a really unfortunate statement, especially when it is coming from a designer.

Yeah, but I chose not to enter this derby because I knew I couldn't come up with something I would be proud of and be on theme.

The credo I babble is not the credo I walk ... i think. In this case at least.

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: guts!

Haha this is awesome +1

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: In Harmony

Wonderful job on this one. +1