amreli


quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
freshmints wrote:I literally just learned that equation today in my optics class. XD definite +1 for that.



Yay! (for both...)


bluetuba


quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
Ryuzaki wrote:I'm glad you don't let pissy people keep you from continuing to submit your art. I've noticed that it seems that when someone does really well on here, people start turning on them like they did with BassAnimation with her Mirai shirt (which I'm wearing right now and love). I think it's a shame.



Oh no you don't, Ramy was "hated on" before he started printing here every other week, and has been (justifiably)for a long time and on other sites before this. He's been rehashing the same nonsense here over and over for years.

As for Bassanimation, aside from a little drama when she first arrived I think it's safe to say she's pretty universally praised and respected around here now. She's earned that over time. 1 guy had a cow in her Mirai entry about the Japan thing being a gimmick and wouldn't let it go, that's not the entire community turning on her for being successful! Hell Mirai didn't even come close to winning the derby, it was selected by the sponsor for being so awesome.

The "UR JUST JEALOUS OF RAMYB" defense is utter bunk, most of the successful regular artists around here are well liked because they aren't pandering hacks.

arlienemann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arlienemann

As a band teacher and brass player, this shirt makes me very happy. I have tried drawing this exact figure on my board for my music students no less than 4 times this year alone. I really hope it pulls through the fog!

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
deltax20a wrote:The most delicious part of human psychology is understanding that when it comes down to it, the majority of his hater fan club are simply jealous they didn't think of it first.



I've never understood this argument. I'm no fan of ramyb, mostly because I think he's a very talented but lazy designer. He can be a great designer, but week after week rather than challenge himself and truly show the woot audience with what he can do, he dashes off something quick with bunnies or turtles. Sure, the end result is the same, he wins a bunch of money, and that's probably why he doesn't put in any more effort than necessary. However, I admire and respect artists who like to challenge themselves and grow and impress their audience. I don't see that effort from ramyb.

I don't see how that makes me a hater, or even if it does, I don't see how it means I'm jealous. When I draw, you can't tell a tree from a dog. So there's no "I wish I'd thought of it first" coming from me, because I don't have the creativity nor the skills. I am here because I like to buy shirts, not design them, so no jealousy on my part.

singleladad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages singleladad
Re: In Harmony



Very cool - I'd buy it.

ccazabon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
yankeebird wrote:I've never understood this argument. I'm no fan of ramyb, mostly because I think he's a very talented but lazy designer. He can be a great designer, but week after week rather than challenge himself and truly show the woot audience with what he can do, he dashes off something quick with bunnies or turtles. Sure, the end result is the same, he wins a bunch of money, and that's probably why he doesn't put in any more effort than necessary. However, I admire and respect artists who like to challenge themselves and grow and impress their audience. I don't see that effort from ramyb.

I don't see how that makes me a hater, or even if it does, I don't see how it means I'm jealous. When I draw, you can't tell a tree from a dog. So there's no "I wish I'd thought of it first" coming from me, because I don't have the creativity nor the skills. I am here because I like to buy shirts, not design them, so no jealousy on my part.



I believe you are right to an extent.
However, I think the real reason most people have a problem is: People are here to vote on shirt's they will (supposedly) buy if it wins and that a large majority of voters have dissimilar opinions on shirts than a large 'vocal' number of others. Thus the shirts they like might not get printed.

This all comes down to individual personal opinion and it will never be more than that. People have been getting mad over difference in opinions since...well forever.

Craigmar


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar
sefjwm wrote:Yeah I just looked and there are tons of pluto not a planet/solar system tshirts and art.



I KNOW!...You can't swing a cat on the Interwebs without hitting a Pluto not a planet T-shirt. They're everywhere.

/

savateuse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages savateuse

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 197 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons



That's -very- kind, thanks. :^)

Wetbo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wetbo
Re: Boron is the Fifth




Flippin' Brilliant, I love the design and the reference. Good job!

sasham62


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
tmorel wrote:I wonder what the TopGear presenters would have to say about this!!! Anyway, it's a shame the TShirts don't have images on the back, you could have the same car after it's been in a massive wreck and the bystanders are all eating freshly made frenchfries...



Depends on whether it crashed into a (vegetable) oil tanker or a sour cream tanker.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

Wetbo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wetbo
Re: POTATO POWER



Very nice, I get a lil flavor of Jhonen Vasquez in there.

angelglo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelglo
Re: Punnett's Misstep



lol I Love it!!!

stehre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stehre
gryphoncreation wrote:what science fair would be compleate without a plasma ball



I don't know how to vote on this!!!

doghcat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages doghcat
Re: Experimental Fail



JEEZ.
I like it, personally.
It's an obvious TMNT reference (which made more sense with the skull and crossbones radiactive liquid, but still) and though it's kinda dark, it's still funny.
It's some kid who wanted to test if ordinary turtles would mutate if he poured stuff on them.
Settle down, people.

bluetuba


quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
moniquevh24 wrote:Yes, there are transparencies in the design. Hours of design down the tubes... because of dots.



Maybe you'll read the rules first next time? Woot has guidelines for a reason, I'm sure we've got plenty of screenprinting people around here who could explain why those rules are important.

WanderingRaccoon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages WanderingRaccoon
Esoteric1081 wrote:Which animal is acting like a human? Or do you have an issue with the alien?



Alien? Definitely thought it was a slug wearing a shirt.

Robsoul


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robsoul

This is great.

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51950]Young Bell



zwilkens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zwilkens
Re: Spectrum



I would totally love this, but it reminds me of Pink Floyd. I don't see it as a ripoff, I think it is its own entity, but the fact that it *reminds* me of the Pink Floyd shirt will keep my from buying it. I hate them.

lynnyuy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnyuy
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar



I'm gonna be so devastated if this doesn't win! D: Such an awesome shirt!

vsfan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vsfan
Re: Cat physics vs Murphy's Law



Please make it... It is so outstanding!

iminderman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iminderman

Fingers crossed for an editor's choice! Love it!

Re: The RYB color model



bardolator


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I want this. Please, please print.

phrozt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phrozt
Re: Experimental Fail



http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/kids-just-like-killing-things.png

I really don't even know why you thought you had an original idea w/this shirt. It's been done on shirts here and it's been joked about for quite awhile.

madfrisbee


quality posts: 6 Private Messages madfrisbee
mrwednesday wrote:I'm not I'm following exactly what you've been convinced of but as someone who is a scientist the initial rejection was correct. Part of the requirements for funding agencies and departments is outreach into the community and as a result I have spent a fair amount of time coordinating and presenting for science clubs in our local area.

Any sort of mutation project is well beyond the reach of middle schoolers and junior high even into high school. What isn't beyond middle schoolers is that if you pour bleach on animals they die. The shirt is a poorly shoehorned attempt at a TMNT reference which has absolutely no basis in the theme.

With all of the controversy regarding ethical use of animals, there is no possibility even at the middle school level that kids are taking animals in the attempt to "do stuff to them." It's not responsible and it's not something that should be profited off of as a joke.

It's irresponsible and unethical and the fact that it would be allowed is personally insulting especially given the great lengths that everyone in science from the top down has to go through to ensure that animals are used in responsible ways.



Dude, do you KNOW any middle-schoolers? I work with a bunch of them in an after-school program, and let me tell ya, this is definitely something several of them would try. If their parents/teachers stopped them doing it for the science fair, they would just try it on their own - go out into the woods, find eight turtles, and get to work.

Your principles and scientific ethics are great, but the average middle-school student doesn't give a hill o' beans.

laineywainey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages laineywainey
Spiritgreen wrote:How much lighter than air is helium?

My pet turtle weighs six balloons... whoops, forgot to tie him to the table. Say hi to the moon for me, sky-turtle!

This is six colors on light blue. Here's a close-up:



Check out a BIG VERSION here.

Thanks for looking, please vote if you like my design! ^__^

---Spiritgreen



Couldn't help the 'oldie-but-goodie' tune came to mind........
So you know that when you die
He's gonna recommend you
To the turtle in the sky
Gonna recommend you
To the turtle in the sky

stringguynotfungi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stringguynotfungi
Re: Science Class



Nooooo! I really wanted to see this shirt!! Is there any way that you could use this design on another T-shirt company, or is it locked in to Shirt.woot? :/

foxbite


quality posts: 13 Private Messages foxbite

Speaking as an educator, between neglectful/indifferent parents and teachers, experiments like this can and have been submitted. What I can't believe is that people are debating the legitimacy of this as a project as a basis for the legitimacy of this shirt as a submission.

Since when was shirt.woot ever about reality or realistic standards?

And to those complaining about this being "yet another cutesy ramyb" shirt, sour grapes. Cute wins, cute sells. I'm sorry your favorite conceptualized deep dark emo expression of a tree dying in silhouette didn't make it, again.

zebulon99x


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebulon99x
Sevenie wrote:if this doesn't win, you HAVE TO put it up on another shirt site. because this is too too lovely to go to waste. the best shirt i have seen in a derby in months <3



I completely agree. If this doesn't win, it has to go up on another site. I want one so badly.

bughouseloco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bughouseloco
ahnkou wrote:Very cool and good luck on your first entry!

Demeanor Reminds me of Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory and a staple nerd




Thanks!

ejh237


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejh237
Re: Bonsai for all Seasons



i love this one!!! want want want

Qoose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Qoose

I was curious what the sum of these signals looked like. By my guessing of the relative amplitudes and phases on this shirt, I think it's a triangle wave.

Now to go overboard with Fourier transforms to confirm this...

Roshko


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roshko
Re: In Harmony



Congratulations! I'm very glad this shirt placed, I really wanted to buy it :D

onyx70


quality posts: 0 Private Messages onyx70
crapface wrote:Holy crap, I want this so bad. I'm an engineer and I perform vibration-based machinery diagnostics for a living. The level of WANT is so high, I'm taking back all votes on other shirts in this derby.



Q- what do engineers use for birth control?

A- their personalities.

sorry.. I had to. LOL

(edit: I love this shirt)

It's official.. as of this recent woot-off.. my mailman is going to hate my guts.

jaeger1957


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaeger1957
be10der2me wrote:I disagree with your pov.
Sometimes you see a TRUE artist falling off their way into the bRAMYBles and you feel compelled to reach out and save them.
I love MR's art but lately I have seen a desperation that resorts to pandering. This concerns me.
Stay true to yourself MR, always.



This is the first time I've been to this site, this is the first instance I've seen of this person's work, and I found it to be quite clever, a cute, unconventional take on a (very) familiar subject.

Perhaps for someone who does shirt designs daily and scrutinizes them at great length, your comments might have some validity, but in the end, the question is does it appeal to people? And my answer is yes, as it appears to be for several others as well.

Your comments are not much different than a "music purist" disdaining someone's music merely on the grounds that it is popular. You're entitled to your opinion, certainly, but you don't need to flog it to death.

bengel89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bengel89
Re: Bonsai for all Seasons


I would totally buy a print if this from you, if not a shirt. Sorry you didn't win this week. One of my favorite designs I've seen! -Ben

Bigboy1868


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bigboy1868
Re: (Science) - (Fiction) =



How did this not win! I'm a science teacher and I know this is exactly what they are thinking during my talks of chemical reactions!!! Shame on you wooters for not allowing me to wear this shirt to class!!!!

billyboy0321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyboy0321
jzlosman wrote:It started as a comic in the mid-80s. Followed by 4 TV series, 4 films, and are you ready for this...21 video games. How can you try to make a case that TMNT is not a video game. The origin media is irrelevant.



BECAUSE Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was first and foremost a GRAPHIC NOVEL - for those not familiar with them, they were gory/sexualized/gritty comics. I'm pretty sure Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird would be adamant about the fct that their creation started as a GRAPHIC NOVEL and not a worthless compilation of forgettable video games. It doesn't matter what it is NOW, as it's origis are what it was, is and will be.

Plus you all should find something more important to do with your time, who cares if he makes a shirt that offends, just don't vote or buy... sheesh.

For the record, I'd probably have bought one, as I think the idea is pretty neat.

raven0445


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raven0445
zwilkens wrote:I would totally love this, but it reminds me of Pink Floyd. I don't see it as a ripoff, I think it is its own entity, but the fact that it *reminds* me of the Pink Floyd shirt will keep my from buying it. I hate them.



there is something incredibly wrong with you if you hate pink floyd.

MachineAmbition


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MachineAmbition
joemail11 wrote:Do you wish to adopt a rooster?



Not really, but I would stop large-scale egg production entirely. If the people who are in the business of roosters and chickens can't figure out how to behave responsibly, then maybe they shouldn't be in business.