+ Add a Comment

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51851]Just put an



+1 for working Brian Regan into a derby design.
Watch his UPS bit below. Hysterical!
"Ok, I don't know what the weight is and, ummm, I dont know what girth means."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89frRi8GgGA



ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Leahbh wrote:the teachers approved projects in my school



Fortunately, the rules were not written specifically about your school and therefore cover all science fair formats

jzlosman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzlosman
ramyb wrote:thanks

As for it not being middle school material, I have never heard of teachers screening science fair projects before they are done. When I was in school, it was a surprise what your project was until the day you presented. This would obviously not fly from the perspective of a teacher, but for a student trying it and thinking it might work, this could totally happen. If we are looking at the end result and saying that's the reason it is not science fair material, then most of the fogged entries (which have already been defended by tgentry) should also be rejected for the same reason.



Have you heard of parents screening their child's project though? I know parental involvement seems to be a thing of the past but come on. If we are going to talk about a fake middle school science fair and the fake teachers that are or are not screening the fake science project, let us think about the fake parents. Would your response to your child's "hey I'm going to do a science fair project" be "Ok son, don't tell me what it is though, I don't want to have any part in your life, after all I have tons of Call of Duty to play." Hopefully not. Point is, I don't see this showing up at a middle school science fair, with or without teacher-screening.

ciaranannrach


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
Re: Minor Modifications



Where's the actual experiment? This looks more like something someone would do for a science class project, not for a science fair.

ressamac


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Incubated v2



Resubbed with new thumbnail. Hopefully more info

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)



Nice way to solve the awkward right-angle to the backgrounds! It looks really good

truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: The RYB color model



What will be even more sad and disturbing is if this little girl tries to mix the red and yellow to get orange...

djtheatre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
fishbiscuit5 wrote:+1 for working Brian Regan into a derby design.
Watch his UPS bit below. Hysterical!
"Ok, I don't know what the weight is and, ummm, I dont know what girth means."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89frRi8GgGA



I'm really excited to see how many Brian Regan fans are on here. this was the first thing that jumped out at me when science fair was mentioned. We'll see if it stays popular! I'm stoked!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
jzlosman wrote:Have you heard of parents screening their child's project though? I know parental involvement seems to be a thing of the past but come on. If we are going to talk about a fake middle school science fair and the fake teachers that are or are not screening the fake science project, let us think about the fake parents. Would your response to your child's "hey I'm going to do a science fair project" be "Ok son, don't tell me what it is though, I don't want to have any part in your life, after all I have tons of Call of Duty to play." Hopefully not. Point is, I don't see this showing up at a middle school science fair, with or without teacher-screening.



I have in fact heard of parents screening projects. I have also heard of students doing things on their own. The fact that one exists does not negate the presence of the other. By the point of middle school, many kids are more or less independent when it comes to doing school work. Some active parents may still be involved, others are not. Your argument hinges on the assumption that there is not a single negligent parent or independent teenage student out there. When I was in middle school, we were supposed to work alone and were discouraged from getting parental help or guidance. Did some parents get involved? Yes, but many didn't even know the science fair was happening. And like I said earlier, the topic includes actually carrying out the experiment. If a kid carried out this experiment with the intention of turning it in and got "unexpected" results, he may or may not present on the day of the fair, but that doesn't mean it was not his attempt at a science fair project.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: When it Absolutely, positively has to be ther by9



i think this is a cute cartoon, feels like a sunday comic strip =) the only problem i have with it is the white background i think towards the bottom feels wonky, think it might be better just has a complete circle =)

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
ramyb wrote:Fortunately, the rules were not written specifically about your school and therefore cover all science fair formats



And fortunately the rules were not written specifically about your school where they apparently promote the mutilation of pets.

flatlimp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatlimp
Re: Heart Break


thought this turned out great! would love any comments.

-There's my Chippy

pippin247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pippin247
Re: The RYB color model



I find this design just a wee bit disturbing.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: When it Absolutely, positively has to be ther by9



You list 6 colors being used, but there are obviously way more than that in the actual image. Unless you're using gradients or transparencies, which is also a nono.

GNitro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro
kevlar51 wrote:The earliest I can think of was Little Shop of Horrors from the 1960, but I'd imagining they go back even further.



My first thought was Little Shop of Horrors and not Mario.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ramyb wrote:The topic does not ask for an experiment as it is turned in and being judged. It asks for anything ranging from the idea all the way through to the actual fair itself. This is a failed experiment that a child tried in his quest to do an awesome science fair project. There is nothing even questionable to me about it being on topic.



Geeze. It is ugly. The concept is ugly. The mind that would do this experiment is extremely ugly. I 'get' the joke. It just sucks. I can't imagine this design fitting with woot's self-described PG-13 (=G) system.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
sTyLeS wrote:And fortunately the rules were not written specifically about your school where they apparently promote the mutilation of pets.



Not everything students do has to be promoted by the school. There are many stories about middle school students poisoning their teachers, for example (yes, shockingly enough, middle school students do have access to poisonous substances). Do you think the principal told them to do it? How about their parents? No, the students chose to do it independently. Students make poor decisions all the time. I understand you are trying to be snarky without actually having an argument, but there is really no reason for your statement.

clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
Re: Experimental Fail



One of the things that often annoys me in Ramy's threads is the nitpicking that goes on. Already we're trying to decide the specific rules of a hypothetical science fair. *sigh.* If one was so inclined, half (or more) of the derby entries could be eliminated by the logic people are using here.

I read tgentry's post in the previous submission, but the way I see it is while this is clearly not science as any scientist would describe it, nor is it something that would usually turn up in a science fair, it is clearly an experiment and one which a middle schooler could do and may himself think is science.

I think the similar shirts exist claim has a bit more legitimacy, though. While I see that while in one shirt the turtles die and in the other they don't, the overall layout of the turtles in the detergent cage makes me a bit uneasy.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: guts!



I love your guts.


sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
ramyb wrote:Not everything students do has to be promoted by the school. There are many stories about middle school students poisoning their teachers, for example (yes, shockingly enough, middle school students do have access to poisonous substances). Do you think the principal told them to do it? How about their parents? No, the students chose to do it independently. Students make poor decisions all the time. I understand you are trying to be snarky without actually having an argument, but there is really no reason for your statement.



Of course there's a reason for my statement. It's that I disagree with you.

mbk21


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbk21
GNitro wrote:My first thought was Little Shop of Horrors and not Mario.



Ditto for me, and I spent years playing Super Mario Bros. -- didn't even cross my mind. Looks great on green, and I hope it prints because I want one.

BambooDrew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BambooDrew
ramyb wrote:I'm extremely confused by the initial rejection, and especially by the defense of other designs in the fog, but here is this design again. I thought that the concept was extremely clear the first time, but now I changed the bottle and specifically labeled it as detergent with bleach so there can be no question about what is going on in this design. I am also a little bit offended as a scientist that anyone would think this is a higher level experiment. We don't just dump chemicals on animals. This was clearly done with negligence and with no scientific method involved whatsoever, which is exactly what I would expect to see from the majority of students in a middle school science fair.

Thanks to everyone who commented and voted the first time around, hopefully you still like the design.



On the original design you used a skull and crossbones which are usually used to represent detergent and bleach... amirite?

pippin247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pippin247
Re: Experimental Fail



What a depressing derby this is turning out to be. We like animals, we don't want them trapped in a cage with x's for eyes. Zombie turtles are acceptable, but not dead ones.

pippin247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pippin247
Re: Green Symphony



really cute & clever design

BambooDrew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BambooDrew
Re: Minor Modifications



This shirt involves science but not a science fair. In a project you would actually be testing for something. Making a model of the solar system isn't considered an experiment.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 117 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar



"The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar"

Experimenting with food to see what happens with CATerpillar... apparently bad things happen.

The CATerpillar is from an earlier derby entry of mine.

tortamus


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tortamus
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons



Looks just like my sulcata, Herbert J. Tortamus!
I must try this experiment at home...

ekio


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ekio
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar



Munch munch munch. Very adorable! Definite buy, gmv!

pippin247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pippin247
fungusamongus wrote:He always said he would see them someday...



Oh my he has a t-rex.

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Death by chocolate!



I agree, I really really liked the linework in the pre-derby thread, but the halftones here don't seem to work very well. I mean, the small thumbnail version in the corner has great depth, but on a big shirt, it's more distracting than anything.

Definitely resubmit! Either go the cartoon-route, with more solid colors, or if you're attached to the halftone 3d effect, maybe lay your linework on top to give it some solidity

tortamus


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tortamus
Re: The RYB color model



Great gag. I love the oblivious look on the soon-to-be red chick's face.
GMV

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
cdrewlow wrote:I love the colors on this and the "sonar" cracks my up!



thanks, i approached this as if i were a kid again, this was very much me at a young age (and still kinda am) i was super excited about random things, most often nerdy things. something like a bats sonar abilities made me super excited and basically they seemed like super powers to me, so i felt the need to add the text to amp it up a bit, haha. glad you approve. =)

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

clarinerd wrote:
I read tgentry's post in the previous submission, but the way I see it is while this is clearly not science as any scientist would describe it, nor is it something that would usually turn up in a science fair, it is clearly an experiment and one which a middle schooler could do and may himself think is science.



I see your point here. While the topic of the experiment clearly seems to be bio-mutation, which on the surface seems to be out of the reach of a middle schooler, it's not being approached at a level that would be out of their grasp (like say an advanced report on radioactivity's effect on chromosomes or proteins). Similarly there could be advanced levels of light or plant growth that would be too advanced for middle schoolers, and thus against the rules. OK, you've convinced me.

nemesis7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nemesis7

i quite like this but sun (middle) on the shirt doesn't match the one at the top image. It has a greyish stripe across it on the shirt.
My next 'science' experiment will be to get my string to curl up when I cut it with scissors. lol

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
nemesis7 wrote:i quite like this but sun (middle) on the shirt doesn't match the one at the top image. It has a greyish stripe across it on the shirt.
My next 'science' experiment will be to get my string to curl up when I cut it with scissors. lol



That is just a wrinkle from the shirt comp

cobaltgrl


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cobaltgrl
ciaranannrach wrote:Something like this, which is obviously harmful to animals, would never fly in a middle school science fair. For one, most of the time the concept of the entry is screened by teachers, and another, parents are usually involved in some fashion. Neither would let something like this pass.

Nice design otherwise, but I agree that it's off topic and not middle-school-science-fair material.



I don't think most of the entries this time could pass the 'teachers wouldn't let it be put up' test.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
BambooDrew wrote:This shirt involves science but not a science fair. In a project you would actually be testing for something. Making a model of the solar system isn't considered an experiment.



Solar system dioramas were the most common thing to see from early elementary school students in the science fair when I was growing up, often accompanied by some info about planets, etc. At early ages, many science fair projects are more of small research projects to learn a little bit about a topic, and astronomy is a popular one.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: guts!



3rd time I have already come back to this design. I greatly enjoy it... no clue why.