chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Rudolpho wrote:why isn't there anything like this about the unicorn eating a rainbow...clearly rainbows are not alive...unicorns aren't real...if they were both alive they would be different spiecies...and yet ramy gets all the hate

Maybe I am not communicating my point well, but my argument has nothing to do with your "rebuttal." But since you brought it up, the unicorn does not suffer from the points I have brought up here... That is why the comment is here and not in the unicorn thread.

hobbesthetiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobbesthetiger
Re: Turtles Like Zombie Kids

I honestly was waiting for a shirt just like this good sir, you have my vote.

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
SunnyLea0 wrote:Nah, white-out eyes are a RamyB thing. Many of his designs feature them, zombie or not.

Thought people have in the past complained about them, saying they make his woodland creatures look like zombies, so...

I'm not even touching the ramyb thing. My point was that, at first glance, I immediately saw "zombie," not "phoenix with a thought bubble," so midgerock's contention that the only thing that makes jlegos' entry a zombie is the brain bubble doesn't wash with me.

I wonder about the mechanics of a phoenix zombie...if a phoenix becomes a zombie (presumably by being bitten by a zombie), then proceeds to be reborn...what rises from the ashes? A non-zombie phoenix? Or a zombie phoenix? Is zombie-ness something that carries through the supernatural rebirth of the phoenix?

mm292151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mm292151
bonkers4disney wrote:+1 Husband is a scientist, he TOTALLY loves this one!

Batman is a scientist?!?

/simpsons quote, I'm a dork.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Rudolpho wrote:why isn't there anything like this about the unicorn eating a rainbow...clearly rainbows are not alive...unicorns aren't real...if they were both alive they would be different spiecies...and yet ramy gets all the hate

I agree about the unicorn shirt on the not the same species issue.

The difference is, sometimes any given artist can miss the theme of the derby while Ramy consistently and blatantly does it with nearly every design he submits. Then he indignantly defends his creations.

On a side note, if he'd just man up and say that he doesn't care about the theme or originality, or the art in general and just admit that he cranks out uninspired, unfinished, unoriginal crap to make as much money as he can, I'd respect that. Instead he puts up this ridiculous front that he is some kind of artist doing what he likes because he likes it. He is a grown man and apparently a scientist too. What adult would actually wear his childish drivel on their chest?

eggshelltiptoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eggshelltiptoe
Re: World's First Zombie

So, I didn't have enough time to put towards this, and I think the design suffered. But here it is anyway. It will probably be rejected, mine always are.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
eggshelltiptoe wrote:So, I didn't have enough time to put towards this, and I think the design suffered. But here it is anyway. It will probably be rejected, mine always are.

dumb

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mhrodrig wrote:I cannot agree with several points of your scenario:

1. Killing something, but leaving a body, does NOT make it a zombie. If there was a human zombie infestation and you shoot a uninfected human in the heart, killing him, he doesn't magically become part of the Zombie Uprising. I understand that zombies are myths and as such have varying lores associated with them, but you cannot just change rules to suit your "joke".

2. If that were the case... If biting a cookie in the head and leaving the body creates a zombie, then that dispells one of the fundamental attributes of the zombie folklore. Most (if not all) zombie stories involve killing a zombie by either decapitation or severe brain trauma. I have yet to see a headless zombie.

3. Zombie folklore also dictates that zombies only feed on thier own kind or on "lesser species". Granted I have yet to see any inaminate or animal zombie flicks (as I am sure you have seen several), I am positive that the Generic Blue Beast That Feeds on Cookies should be fine in this scenario. He would just let the cookies fight it out and have his pick of the dead, lifeless cookie bodies.

Yeah...um...no.
You've never seen anything from Romero have you? Nor any spaghetti Zombie flicks for that matter.

move along

j5

Re: World's First Zombie

Would make for a hilarious woman's shirt considering globe placement.
And the fail of this was predicted in scripture (i.e. the pre-derby thread)

move along

seanpsimmons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanpsimmons
emccall3 wrote:Wow... I just clicked +1 on a Ramyb design. Kinda feels like I just sold out considering but hey, it's an awesome design.

A) Lose points for voting for RamyB. He either has a lot of friends or a lot of his own accounts helping boost his spots on the derbys.

B) It's a meh to ok design. Calling this a zombie Battlefield Earth (2000) is a huge stretch, though. Better fit for last week's derby. Top 9 of zombie week should be zombie shirts. I hope this doesn't win and waste a spot. I want to spend $30 this week.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
alephnull2k1 wrote:I'm not even touching the ramyb thing. My point was that, at first glance, I immediately saw "zombie," not "phoenix with a thought bubble," so midgerock's contention that the only thing that makes jlegos' entry a zombie is the brain bubble doesn't wash with me.

I wonder about the mechanics of a phoenix zombie...if a phoenix becomes a zombie (presumably by being bitten by a zombie), then proceeds to be reborn...what rises from the ashes? A non-zombie phoenix? Or a zombie phoenix? Is zombie-ness something that carries through the supernatural rebirth of the phoenix?

well it appears my opinion doesn't wash with others as well since people seem to keep voting for it.
The point's really You could have any supernatural creature; i.e. mummy, ghost, banshee, etc all with glowing eyes like this and most wouldn't consider it a zombie. You put a word bubble with a brain and wallah! we have zombie. Not clever that its a phoenix anymore than any other supernatural creature which returns from the dead.

miztickow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miztickow
alephnull2k1 wrote:I'm not even touching the ramyb thing. My point was that, at first glance, I immediately saw "zombie," not "phoenix with a thought bubble," so midgerock's contention that the only thing that makes jlegos' entry a zombie is the brain bubble doesn't wash with me.

I'd assume that the process of becoming ash would cleanse it of the zombie virus before it is reborn and would be a normal phoenix.

Wugmanmax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wugmanmax

Hey guys! It's been a while since I have tried one of these. There are so many fantastic designs, and here is my crappy junk.
I tried for something original, which I guess is open for debate. :D

Thanks for looking!

uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
alis0ntalb0t wrote:I thought it was RamyB, too. Funny since I couldn't tell RamyB's actual design was his this week.

Great job JLEGOS!

jlegos is ramyb. are you blind?

x3xleggedxninja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages x3xleggedxninja

eggshelltiptoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eggshelltiptoe
j5 wrote:Would make for a hilarious woman's shirt considering globe placement.
And the fail of this was predicted in scripture (i.e. the pre-derby thread)

Yeah, guess I should have read the thread.

hehe, "globe placement".

Thanks for at least some words of encouragement, I haven't really gotten any of that from anyone else here. Clicky much?

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
jb2colorado wrote:you're a moro-n.

Hey Jb. I sent you a private message. Check it out when you get a chance.

shionkof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shionkof
Re: Suuuuuuugaaaar

Haha. Tables have turned. Great shirt design...

shionkof

Re: Use Your Brains

Oldest trick in the book but it's still effective. Hahahaha

shionkof

Re: If I Only Had a Brain

Great shirt. Hope I can buy it soon.

Wizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wizzr
Re: Rule No.1: Cardio

I'm loving this design. Its a nice simple look and the message hits you right away. Color chooses are nice and subdued goes well with the strong imagery.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
yakimikku wrote:I hope I can throw up something real nice next time!

you have an interesting way with words!

SaylaMarz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaylaMarz
Re: Brains!

Is it a tampon?

jetschetter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jetschetter
Re: You can't trust something that won't stay dead

What a brilliant shirt! I am so in love with this design. I wants it. I needs it.

sooperrach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sooperrach
Re: Dumb Blonde

This is our very first submission. We are Photoshop challenged but should do better next time we derby.

Wugmanmax

Re: Brain Eating Zombie. - zombies! zombies! zombies!

Sorry about the derby title in the title. I swear the submission page said to include the derby name in the title, but it seems noboy else does that. I feel like a dork.

Wugmanmax

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName

Can't you see? Rainbows are clearly a lesser being than unicorns.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Mutation

Redundant entries are redundant.

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
chumpmagic wrote:I think the brain/ word bubble helps.

I certainly agree there. The word bubble guarantees that nearly everybody who has seen the Wizard of Oz will understand the shirt, which is really the purpose of putting it on your chest.

Without the bubble, people's minds may go a different way and eventually misunderstand the shirt.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Last Zombie

Fantastic work! +1

j5

eggshelltiptoe wrote:Yeah, guess I should have read the thread.

hehe, "globe placement".

Thanks for at least some words of encouragement, I haven't really gotten any of that from anyone else here. Clicky much?

You're guaranteed a rejection for any religious themed or culturally insenitive work (check the India derby for examples). There was discussion about Zombie Jesus, but everyone knew it was a lost cause and didn't bother.

I wouldn't say it's all that Cliquey here. There's a lot of good talent and strong submissions that don't even get very far, so the competition is obviously fierce.

move along

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: Zombie Walk

I got the joke even from the little thumbnail on the page with all the designs. Made me chuckle. =) One question: What happened to the middle finger of the walk symbol?

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
yakub89 wrote:I wasn't happy about the zombie theme, and I'm tired of zombies and the apocalypse, but this is probably my favorite shirt of the derby so far. I don't understand why it doesn't have any votes. Great Job! I would wear this shirt all the time.

THANKS! that's nice to hear, after all. with the minimal colors i would have to say it didn't seem as appealing as some of the other entries. i'll just have to keep working at it :P

also i'm glad you liked my design, sean!

jocw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jocw
Spiritgreen wrote:@MathUhhhSaurus, if I was making these for real I figured the arms could be cut from fruit roll ups. Or maybe use green twizzlers and fray the ends. Mmm. Twizzlers. :p

@BootsBoots, awesome. That's my audience, right there. ^_^

@paperclipjane, kaedex99, creativehack, futurestroup - thanks so much!

I love this shirt, very creative and original idea. I mean I would have never thought of a cupcake t-shirt for a zombie theme and I am glad it is in the fog! Got my +1. If you made this for real out of cupcakes I was thinking for the arms you could use marzipan.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
cdrewlow wrote:I love this, but I doubt these would be as fun as their monkey counterparts...

..and a tad messier as well.

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
midgerock wrote:well it appears my opinion doesn't wash with others as well since people seem to keep voting for it.
The point's really You could have any supernatural creature; i.e. mummy, ghost, banshee, etc all with glowing eyes like this and most wouldn't consider it a zombie. You put a word bubble with a brain and wallah! we have zombie. Not clever that its a phoenix anymore than any other supernatural creature which returns from the dead.

I'm really not up on my phoenices (phoenixii?)...do they typically get reborn with their skulls missing flesh in a very characteristically zombie fashion? Because if that's a typical part of phoenix lore, then I'll concede the point (which, to clarify, is that I think jlegos is presenting a phoenix which has become a zombie, not *just* rebranding "phoenix" as "a kind of zombie already").

As for who's voting for what, well that's kinda why the Electoral College exists, innit?

snmurphy95

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snmurphy95

want want want want want

Dinosaurs and applesauce

joecool151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joecool151
rowanmikaio wrote:

OK the RAMYB hate is RIDICULOUS.

There is this random idea in art called "suspension of disbelief". You guys are trying SO HARD to find a way that this isn't a zombie that you look ridiculous.

I have to agree...

I'm new-ish to this site but I find it funny how you can look at any of this artist's stuff and find people intentionally being as dull as possible to find reasons why the shirt is no good. It's seems like these comments serve no constructive purpose.

"The DNA dosen't look like zombie DNA, more like alien DNA, or like hulks DNA when I saw it."
"That dood in the back looks like a normal dood, not like a zombie at all, i mean look at his stance, I've never seen a zombie stand like that"

Not sure if you realize stuff like that makes you look dumb. IDK about him, but I wouldn't care what you had to say about my stuff if it was in the fog, because that alone says all it needs to about the shirt design. I might add that it's there despite all the lines of hate.

Today's thought of the day: Spend less time hating on other peoples work and spend more time doing it "right" since you're the expert.