PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Free Dragon Rides!

Lot's going on here, but you reduced the detail down to communicate the idea beautifully meg. +1

kimvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
sTyLeS wrote:There's no process. Anyone with an account can submit a design. And unlike the voting process, you don't even need to have purchased anything before in order to submit something.

Thanks for the info!

travisk02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisk02
Re: Rules to Ride...

Was hoping for more of a reason from Woot but after over a day of a few messages, tweets, and an email without any responses (besides a tweet from WootLive saying it's under WootShirt's jurisdiction), I have decided to do a resub with some changes... BUT with a one month old daughter it's kind of difficult to find the time.

So probably sometime tomorrow (today)... be prepared Wooters for a very amateur underdog 'artist' resub. Especially since I can't get Woot to clarify or take away the rejection after a valid reason and argument on my part (maybe I should call it "detergent"?)...

Unless Woot magically makes me disappear :/

"Expect to get shot down often and hard." -- teh Great TT

jeleavitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeleavitt
Re: Rules to Ride...

I agree with with collinvh. There is no obvious reference to amusement parks. They appear to be "no female" signs that could be posted in parking spots, bathroom doors, or wherever. Knowing what the topic is, I thought the third one was "no riding with balloons".

I also agree that some explanation should have been given.

bislwem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bislwem
gumiyo wrote:saved.

Welcome to the Ramyb Experiment.

I see there's been much debate about this submission. Now that I have your attention, I'd like to invite real discussion.

Since Woot refuses to publicly reveal how they protect and monitor their website, and they have their obvious reasons, that leaves a Ramyb skeptic with several unverifiable questions. Let's look at them.

# Does Ramyb win by art alone, or is he using fake accounts? That's the main question that a Ramyb skeptic will ask.
> This design definitely didn't get votes from a newsletter, mass emails, fake accounts or shout outs, yet it's relatively high in the votes.

# Does this mean that people genuinely love Ramyb and vote accordingly?
> Either two things are happening. 1... People genuinely love the Ramyb style, or 2... People are "in on the joke" and are voting for it out of sheer entertainment.

Sadly for us Ramyb conspiracy theorists, this experiment does speak well for him winning by sheer style, although it doesn't explain why his designs jump out of the reckoning all the time, like :School: that just won't die. That question remains unanswered and can only be determined by a Woot staff member that can follow buying trends, shipping addresses and so on.

# This design didn't shoot straight to the fog. Does that mean Ramyb does use fake accounts?
> Unfortunately, this also can only be answered by a Woot staff member. It's exasperating when almost every single one of his designs shoots straight to the top. Why does that happen? Maybe this did not fog because it's a Gumiyo, not a Ramyb. Or maybe because it wasn't helped along by fake accounts. We just do not know.

# Why are we seeing new accounts that look exactly like Ramyb, more so than this one.
> Maybe Ramyb is trying to change names and get out of the hate. Maybe there are other artists that are already using the Ramyb style before this submission. We do not know.

# Woot did not reject this for forgery or plagiarism. Does that mean anyone can submit the Ramyb style?
> My assumption is that Woot would encourage you to learn what Wooters like, improve your craft, and design what sells. Cute sells. If cute is not in your skill set, take a chance by designing something more realistic. Otherwise, Woot sells cute. DBH sells big artsy. Teefury sells parody. That's just how it works.

In summary, while this experiment did not satisfy all my questions, it does make me consider that people genuinely love the Ramyb style, from which he may get most of his votes. Is there any additional funny business behind the scenes? It's certainly uncanny how many Ramyb designs win and stay reckoned.

Now. What do you think.

Since you've invited discussion, I do have a thought... I am sort of disinclined to say that this experiment can really accurately measure these things, since Ramy's style and his name are so irrevocably tied together here. I'm not sure by simply removing the name that you can infer that the votes are because of the style as opposed to even something as simple as the controversy and interest surrounding this entry...

I'm interested to hear what others have to say though.

Bandrik

quality posts: 79 Private Messages Bandrik
Re: Fun house reflections

Sigh... I hate the idea of more rabbits on Woot... but this was the best rabbit shirt I've seen yet. +1

seanjon08

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seanjon08

For some unknown reason, this really reminds me of that movie "We're Back"

Re: Lost in Nightmares

ncbears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncbears
Re: Big Winner!

I like that the lights on the roller coaster and ferris wheel grab your attention rather than fade in the background... but the teddy bear could have been a bit bigger, but that's just me (gotta love them bears! LOL)

ulala321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ulala321

Superb work, silly title shenanigans aside. XD GMV!

wcsae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcsae
bislwem wrote:Since you've invited discussion, I do have a thought... I am sort of disinclined to say that this experiment can really accurately measure these things, since Ramy's style and his name are so irrevocably tied together here. I'm not sure by simply removing the name that you can infer that the votes are because of the style as opposed to even something as simple as the controversy and interest surrounding this entry...

I'm interested to hear what others have to say though.

I forget exactly, but back aways Woot had a derby where names were removed. Can't remember how exactly that turned out, but it might be worth looking back at it if anyone remembers.

joecool151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joecool151
sTyLeS wrote:Ice cream don't make you fat, it make you more smarterest.

6 colors on grass

Here's some closeups:

He looks tall enough in the first frame.

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

I also like it better without the text. It may have been said but this would have been a nice entry in the science fair derby. Also, killer design on the shirt.woot bag last week. +1

yellowwducky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowwducky

Like it!

I am wondering though, don't corn dogs stay a bit closer to the yellow in the middle (when he is getting dunked). Its a subtle color change from left to right which makes it a bit less than obvious (to me) that he became a corn dog post that dunk in the middle. I love these cartoony conversational ones; hope it prints.

edit, somehow my comment aimed for the corndog shirt ended without any pics of it.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
gumiyo wrote:
# Woot did not reject this for forgery or plagiarism. Does that mean anyone can submit the Ramyb style?

sooo basically what you are saying is that you plagiarized ramyb to answer some questions and ended up not answering a single one? ...nice job, you managed to sink to a new low and accomplish nothing in the process.

all of your questions can be answered in a very simple way. ramyb isnt the only one who's stuff shoots straight up into the fog. its called a fan base, when you sub something, you send out a broadcast to all your fans and tell them to vote, they then in turn come to the site and vote for your design. that answers why he shoots to the fog, that answers why he wins so much.

as far as the other accounts that have shown up with a similar style, i know of only one other one, i thought that was resolved when the artist and ramy said that they collabed on it and that they are friends with similar styles. i understand that you may not trust ramy so you dont believe anything he says, but that doesn't mean everything he says is a lie and that there has to be some crazy conspiracy theory behind everything. most often the simplest answer is the right one.

copperchesnut

quality posts: 3 Private Messages copperchesnut

The colors really grabbed me and the concept is so clever I couldn't help but vote for it. Definitely glad to see it in the fog and my favorite this time around.

craziemutant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craziemutant
Re: prehistoric carousel

Haha. Is that a height meter?

craziemutant

Re: The Red Barron's First Flight

This looks so beautiful. Though the character seems to not fit with the rest of the design's tone. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I'd still buy.

craziemutant

Re: Fun house reflections

I love the big bunny. But I think the whole design is too large and unbalanced.

I might like it more of the placement was at the bottom of the shirt instead. I might just be getting bored with everything at chest range. haha.

craziemutant

Re: THE ULTIMATE THRILL RIDE

He's actually very accurate about the shark. You're supposed to either hit the nose or the gills to escape an attack. I also love the vomiting in the can at the end.

I'd probably not buy. But I'll vote for it anyway cause I think it deserves it.

craziemutant

meatpopsicle333 wrote:Seems like the circles that make up the sphere are all off.

I think that could be the design. I see it too, though.

craziemutant

kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:it might strengthen the accuracy of the reference, if every last item there was served on a stick. lol, nice job

But then she kind of wouldn't be "balancing" it all. Unless she's balancing the stick, I guess. =/

craziemutant

Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

Great concept. Not liking the design.

BambooDrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BambooDrew

Great idea but you could have executed it better. I'm not digging the colors at all.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
AdderXYU wrote:Andy Warhol, like all xerox machines, was never an artist. He was, instead, the reason someone like Ramy can profit at something he has no skill at.

Intellectual property is incredibly important, because it's the basic tenet of respect put into action. If you will use someone else's IP, you have no respect for art, your own or theirs. Art is for all of us to appreciate. It is only for the artist itself to profit from. Fair use exists for the rare artist who can make something truly new and original out of bits and bobs (I would cite a musician like Beck, or serious collage artists, of whom I sadly don't know names but have seen lovely examples). That goes beyond IP. IP itself is vital because no one has a right to profit without skill. I'm sure you'd love to have someone in an office get a raise for commandeering an idea you had. That is what IP exists for. No one should profit off your own ideas except you.

It's an ironic concept to discuss in a piece aping a "designer" who only apes other "artists", but it still applies. It happens in the art world, but only the biggest scum and cheats allow it. It's like any other self-serving way people try to profit without earning said profit.

Presumably this is a biting critique of woot?

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki
AdderXYU wrote:Andy Warhol, like all xerox machines, was never an artist. He was, instead, the reason someone like Ramy can profit at something he has no skill at.

Aaaand. We're done.

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki
gumiyo wrote:
I see there's been much debate about this submission. Now that I have your attention, I'd like to invite real discussion.
Now. What do you think.

I think you should have kept quiet. None of your "real discussion" was remotely interesting and was largely irrelevant or petty.

A real artist lets the work speak for itself. Turns out you were experimenting, not making art... oh well.

Your initial image and "Saved" post were brilliantly ambiguous. I nearly voted the shirt simply because the mind game at play here was so intriguing.

Now the only question I have left is who you are. Because if you're an active designer here, I'd like to be able to avoid voting for and/or buying your shirts.

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName

Since Woot refuses to publicly reveal how they protect and monitor their website, and they have their obvious reasons, that leaves a Ramyb skeptic with several unverifiable questions. Let's look at them.

# Does Ramyb win by art alone, or is he using fake accounts? That's the main question that a Ramyb skeptic will ask.
> This design definitely didn't get votes from a newsletter, mass emails, fake accounts or shout outs, yet it's relatively high in the votes.

> Either two things are happening. 1... People genuinely love the Ramyb style, or 2... People are "in on the joke" and are voting for it out of sheer entertainment.

Sadly for us Ramyb conspiracy theorists, this experiment does speak well for him winning by sheer style, although it doesn't explain why his designs jump out of the reckoning all the time, like :School: that just won't die. That question remains unanswered and can only be determined by a Woot staff member that can follow buying trends, shipping addresses and so on.

# This design didn't shoot straight to the fog. Does that mean Ramyb does use fake accounts?
> Unfortunately, this also can only be answered by a Woot staff member. It's exasperating when almost every single one of his designs shoots straight to the top. Why does that happen? Maybe this did not fog because it's a Gumiyo, not a Ramyb. Or maybe because it wasn't helped along by fake accounts. We just do not know.

# Why are we seeing new accounts that look exactly like Ramyb, more so than this one.
> Maybe Ramyb is trying to change names and get out of the hate. Maybe there are other artists that are already using the Ramyb style before this submission. We do not know.

> My assumption is that Woot would encourage you to learn what Wooters like, improve your craft, and design what sells. Cute sells. If cute is not in your skill set, take a chance by designing something more realistic. Otherwise, Woot sells cute. DBH sells big artsy. Teefury sells parody. That's just how it works.

In summary, while this experiment did not satisfy all my questions, it does make me consider that people genuinely love the Ramyb style, from which he may get most of his votes. Is there any additional funny business behind the scenes? It's certainly uncanny how many Ramyb designs win and stay reckoned.

Now. What do you think.

How does test anything? The only thing that looks like his style is the reaper. You didn't even bother coloring the rest of the piece in the same way, and the person doesn't look like ramy's chibi people.

And it's not like people haven't tried to use ramy's style before. This one from the mystery derby comes to mind. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32483

KamikazeKen

quality posts: 17 Private Messages KamikazeKen
Re: Run run!

something about that top carriage looks wrong... like it's off to the side of the wheel in an Escher drawing

otherwise an awesome idea, I voted for it.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

Now. What do you think.

First I'd like to know who the genius who masterminded this experiment. The I'd like to see you pull your "entry".

jinkleberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinkleberry
Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

I love this, the colour scheme is lovely and I love all of the added detail within the crowd.

The only thing which bugs me, is that there aren't any little water drops running between the slide and the queue, and in that way it doesn't seem to be a cycle. They just get to the bottom of the slide and then, what? Disappear? It feels like there should be some running to have another go, for this to be a proper cycle with no clear end.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: THE ULTIMATE THRILL RIDE

Funny idea!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Super Park

The colors look great and I like the little details.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: Prepared Fish

This is a very nice concept and a great design that goes with it.

bbbrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbbrob
Re: Delusions of Grandeur

Who cares if the physics aren't exactly correct; everyone knows that cats defy all attempts to rationalize their behavior.

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
Re: The Red Barron's First Flight

I love it! And I also have a lot to learn about half tones. Those are great.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Caffeinator

Thanks Meg and lucky!

^__^

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

Now. What do you think.

This did answer a few questions:

1. You have way too much time on your hands.

2. The fact that you gave this much time and effort to RamyB makes me think a restraining order is in your past or near future.

3. Considering to complete lack of anything even approaching the scientific method I'd venture to say you're not a scientist.

4. I just wasted 5 minutes I'll never get back reading your "experiment."

flemtone

quality posts: 7 Private Messages flemtone
thegambler311 wrote:I'm kind of perplexed that this is still in the fog. I've settled on the conclusion that this artist's success hinges on her design simplicity.

But this design takes forever to "get." There's not a lot of clutter on the shirt, but if anyone wants to look at the image, they'll have to stare at the design up close on the wearer's chest for a long time.

I have to disagree. I 'got it' as soon as I saw it. The simplicity is, to me, what sells it. Love is the simplest of things, yet outside forces (fear, surprise, the law of gravity) enable conflict. The long pause between conflict and resolution (when the ride levels out) is just the right distance/time, imho.

That's just what gets me - the parameters set by the artist in regards to the simplicity of the design and the story being told work just right in my head.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Ice Cream Makes You Smart

Haha! That's really cute.

macdoodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macdoodle

There’s an odd ball in every crowd, doesn't make you a loser.