Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus
gumiyo wrote:
In summary, while this experiment did not satisfy all my questions, it does make me consider that people genuinely love the Ramyb style, from which he may get most of his votes. Is there any additional funny business behind the scenes? It's certainly uncanny how many Ramyb designs win and stay reckoned.

Now. What do you think.

Let's be realistic here. shirt.woot! is in the business of selling shirts. If Ramyb has some unfair way of getting his shirts tons of votes that wasn't reflective of actual sales, woot! likely would've shut it down ages ago. That's not to say Ramyb might not have some advantage, but since his shirts do sell well, it's not of any significant concern to woot!

His shirts do well in the derbies and they sell well, too. You can judge this by looking at the stats of any of his shirts. Compare his shirts that have been in the Reckoning for one week versus any other shirt in for the same length of time, and you'll see they have roughly the same number of shirts sold:

Minor Modifications by Ramyb - 3268
Spectrum by Ramyb - 2734
Metrognome - 2783
Tea! (2 weeks) - 3458
Books... (2 weeks) - 3647

The point being, if Ramyb's shirts shot to the top purely because of funny business, the stats would reflect that as there wouldn't be buyers for them.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
travisk02 wrote:I was unsure how to make the pregnant warning come across so I looked up a few signs and this was actually a cross between two of them, and the bar not going through the circle was off of one of those actual signs. If I was trying to portray birth then I'd have the kid popping out and not 'in the womb'.

Just goes to show what I originally said, there are plenty of warning signs out there, and most of them are common sense and look ridiculous.

After reading this, I googled until I found one sign with the fetus on top, and I personally think it looks just as bad. Pretty much every "No (fill in the blank)" sign has the line going through the entire image, not something on top of the line. I found "no pregnant women" signs with the baby located elsewhere so it's not on top of the line, and they look much better. I didn't think you were actually trying to mimic birth, but this just looks inappropriate to me.

And I agree with the others who have commented that if there was some sort of other tie-in to an amusement park in your design, it would make a huge difference. Without any context, it looks in remarkably poor taste.

But it's your design and you can take advice, or not, if you wish. However, if you get rejected again, I think this thread presents suggestions as to why. Woot usually reserves "no" comments for shirts that either blatantly violate a copyright or are just tasteless. The former doesn't apply so you probably got axed for the latter. I wish they'd give more details in these situations, especially if the artist asks, but this is what I've seen.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Heed the Warnings of The Ride...

Every time I read someone else's interpretation of this I just laugh harder.

More shirts should do that.

Nothing follows.

travisk02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisk02
yankeebird wrote:After reading this, I googled until I found one sign with the fetus on top, and I personally think it looks just as bad. Pretty much every "No (fill in the blank)" sign has the line going through the entire image, not something on top of the line. I found "no pregnant women" signs with the baby located elsewhere so it's not on top of the line, and they look much better. I didn't think you were actually trying to mimic birth, but this just looks inappropriate to me.

And I agree with the others who have commented that if there was some sort of other tie-in to an amusement park in your design, it would make a huge difference. Without any context, it looks in remarkably poor taste.

But it's your design and you can take advice, or not, if you wish. However, if you get rejected again, I think this thread presents suggestions as to why. Woot usually reserves "no" comments for shirts that either blatantly violate a copyright or are just tasteless. The former doesn't apply so you probably got axed for the latter. I wish they'd give more details in these situations, especially if the artist asks, but this is what I've seen.

I agree that the pregnant one does look awkward but I was also trying to make each one stand on its own and not be an exact match of other ones out there. I also like the fact that it kept it from being exactly like the other warnings on the sign so it broke it up a little bit.

Yes, I'm sure I could have done some incidental text or a ride design in the background but that wasn't what I was going for... I wanted to keep it simple and have a certain rough, straight to the point feel to it like most signs of these type do.

And you say if I get rejected again that this thread has suggestions why it should be, but I say that this thread also shows why it shouldn't be... and that people are going to see what they want and make it as bad/good/funny/simplistic as they want.

"Expect to get shot down often and hard." -- teh Great TT

lkweigel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkweigel
Re: You must be this tall to siege!

One more gargleblaster! Love it!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
CVBrennan wrote:Why did cmdixon2 post a link explaining his flaw?

P.S. I like this admission! <3

I'm not sure I understand why people are questioning this. I understand that a mirror that is concave only on the y-axis would make the cat tall only and not tall AND wide like the tiger. And a mirror that is convex only on the y-axis would make the dog short only and not short AND skinny. I admit to using creative license there and on the fact that no mirror can make a house cat reflection look like a tiger. However, I did not get concave and convex mixed up. I just didn't create spherically convex and concave mirrors since that's not usually the way funhouse mirrors are shaped.

"CONCAVE MIRRORS are used in everything from shaving mirrors to lighting the Olympic torch...From far away, objects will seem upside down, but as you get closer and pass the focal point, the image flips and magnifies."

Shaving mirror = concave mirror
Shaving mirrors magnify at close range.

"A CONVEX MIRROR, which bulges outward, reflects at a wider angle near its edges than at its center, creating a slightly distorted image that's smaller than actual size. Convex mirrors have many uses. The smaller size of the images means that you can see more with these surfaces, hence their use in safety mirrors."

Safety mirror = convex mirror
Safety mirror allows you to see a wider angle, thus making everything within the reflection smaller.

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
Re: Fun house reflections

Big bunny reminds me of the alien on the cover of Communion.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: D-I-Ysneyland

Reminds me of a shopping cart catastrophe from my youth...wonderful work gentlemen,

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

This is a great collaboration! I like walzaman's style, but I'll be honest - his colours never appeal to me. But odysseyroc's colouring choices do!

You guys should work together more often.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: at the washer park!

Clever, good art and GREAT colours. Not quite my style, but I like!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
thumperchick wrote: you WILL get sprayed in the face,

hahahahahaha

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: THE ULTIMATE THRILL RIDE

hahahahaha! I love the end scene!

Lazy210

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lazy210

I want this one not only because its pretty funny but I have about 16 woot shirts and none in this color! People should use this color more often!

asmadasrabbits

quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits

I love the shadows!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

odysseyroc - you're like that producer an artist teams up with to get that number one hit... great collab.

Sad thing, there are a few childhood memories I have like this. Homemade slip and slide anyone?

miyuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miyuna
paigeg wrote:You had me with the tail wiggle.

For me, it was the birthday hat!

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
Re: Wooden Wonder - The Main Attraction

Nice work! I think this design is stronger than the first. GMV.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Good stuff guys!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Chili Con Carnie

Carnies make me smile. I like yours.

BootsBoots

walmazan wrote:Thanks for all the votes and comments and I glad you like it so far!

You outdid yourself with your animated link this time. It's great!

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

Had a few minutes to do something. I think it's pretty woot friendly...

BootsBoots

Re: I didn't even want the thing. Now I'm stuck.

Yeah! I especially like his zonko eyes.

capedcrusader514

I wish I could see more of it... Other than that. sweeeeeeet.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: I Get Around... and Around...

Thank you all for the nice comments. I really struggled coming up with an idea this week, but when it finally hit I was super happy with it.

capedcrusader514

Very nice. Ms. Boots. I'd have dug it even more if the shirt was covered in them. That's just me. Woot hates that.

capedcrusader514

I got money on this printing

capedcrusader514

Love the colors on this one. Second fave next to the work out turtle.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Ooh, I like this a lot. Nice styling and color combo.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Johndis5 wrote:So..... where did a fish get a hardhat?

I wish the three my daughter won in 3rd grade had a hard hat.

Warning: If your fair fish are still alive a week later, get a real tank.

The last of those three fish died when she was in college.

The catfish I got to clean the tank was still alive, so I got him some guppies.

The guppies kept having babies in the 5 gallon tank. I warned them that there would be an overpopulation problem. They didn't listen and one day they started dying off.
Everyone but that catfish.
He died of old age when daughter was graduating college.

I had to take care of a tank for 13 years because of that damn ping pong ball game!

I will have to buy this shirt

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

amreli

loubriccant

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loubriccant
Re: Biker Bumper

Where are the rest of the "Village People"?

capedcrusader514

This is fun.

ittybittyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ittybittyx
Re: All About the Food

This is exactly how my friends and I hit the local state fair! We eat our way from one end to the other, and are totally sick by the end of the day - but ya gotta do it once a year!

amreli

Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

Very cute and clever. My only complaint is that I dislike heather gray, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the concept/design.

ShayAnne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShayAnne

I love everything save for the horses face. With the thin snout like that, it resembles an anteater. However if you thicken it just a touch more, you still achieve the style you are looking for while making it look less anteater-ish. Other than that, I do love the design.

amreli

Re: i Love Funnel Cake

Every time I see the thumbnail, I think the funnel is a martini glass....mmm, martini cake....

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

capedcrusader514

I don't really understand how the gray color is suppose to function in this image. The values seems mixed up...

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

You two are a natural match for collaboration. Love the clever idea, the drawing that tells a story, and the coloring that ties it all together.

colourcraze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colourcraze
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

so far in this derby, this is the one I really really want to buy!