midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: It's All Fun and Games Until...

The little happy faces are so adorable with their pending doom. gmv!

midgerock

Re: Free Dragon Rides!

those silly vikings! really cute design. gmv!

midgerock

Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

one more vote from a nerd!

NemmyX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NemmyX
taternuggets wrote:Every time I read someone else's interpretation of this I just laugh harder.

More shirts should do that.

I agree. If this is enough to warrant an "Offensive" ban there is little room for anything thought provoking, or as someone else has said, outside of the "cute" and "shiny" spectrum.

I suspect it is the reference to an overweight person (a woman especially) on your shirt. Notice I said overweight and not fat. The word fat carries a negative connotation and might be too offensive for everyone here to handle.
Where would society be if we all were allowed to point out people's differences in light caricature on a humorous shirt!

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
sTyLeS wrote:Reminds me of the movie Explorers
I loved that one as a kid.

i second this, great movie =) this very much reminds me of it.

flwrpwrgrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flwrpwrgrl
Re: When They Fly

Soo cute! Vote for it everyone!

zzzzz78759

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zzzzz78759
seanpsimmons wrote:Like it. Suggestions if you do a resubmit:

1) Give him an air trail or puff of smoke so it's more obvious he's launching off a roller coaster.

2) Give him a goofier expression. Either wild grin or a "wuuuuuuuuu" mouth.

3) More emotional reaction from the dog. Either panic or look at the kid that says "what kind of an human are you exactly".

Completely disagree.

1. That would spoil the effect and he's not launching off a roller coaster, he's detached from the airplane swing ride (we have one of these at our local kiddie amusement park!)

2. I love the smirk. He's figured out the secret to releasing himself from the round and round doldrums and he's now off on an adventure. Happy but neither ecstatic nor giddy, just self-satisfied.

3. Why would the dog be afraid? His kid has taken him on adventures before. Ears up, alert, but not really all that concerned.

Well done, Patrick. You've got my vote and, if it prints, I just might actually buy one

zzzzz78759

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zzzzz78759
Re: Ferris Wheel of Love

Love the colors and the offset design. Unfortunately, it may not be deemed very "guy friendly".

Got my vote, though, since I'm not a guy

emmaoforange

quality posts: 2 Private Messages emmaoforange

like it even better this way - cool shirt

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
BootsBoots wrote:Agree! That's why I like it so much!

Thanks Boots! I'm a big fan of all your work. You always rock a few entries where as I struggle to find time just to submit one.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Dunk O' Kitty

Just wondering why the shark/piranha is missing from the tank?

emmaoforange

srm8ib4 wrote:the reason why the shirt was rejected was because it looked as if the shirt was conveying hatred toward fat and pregnant people. now you added an image of a handicapped person and a picture of a guy with a heart. again, without the theme, no one would know what the shirt is about. also, i'm not sure what demographic you are aiming for; how many people who want to wear a shirt with these signs? this shirt is cryptic at best and offensive at worst.

Exactly. In the derby it makes sense but if you wore this outside people might wonder where the wearer wants to deny people access too. Is he/she saying I don't want to interact with pregnant people, or those with disabilities, people with special needs shouldn't be accommodated, etc.

It just might look like hating on several groups of people pregnant women, disabled people, "fat chicks" who already get a lot of crap. (Try going from the door to the cash register of your average coffee shop or small store in a wheelchair and you'll see what I mean.) I know that isn't the intent, and actually I like the idea of commenting on silly signs, it just comes across differently than intended.

emmaoforange

Yes! There should be more tea related shirts. Not enough of them. Also I loved loved loved that ride when I was a kid so this made me laugh. I hope it gets in.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
tico0001 wrote:Hey Walmazan, where's "sky dancer love roller coaster" t-shirt at? Not that this is not great, it GMV too. But the other, I would buy several!

~Tico

Thanks for asking Tico, I couldn't finish it on time, but is ready now, and I will save it for another time, but now is one of my favs!

I will keep you posted!

midgerock

wootvan wrote:Just wondering why the shark/piranha is missing from the tank?

I was going to put in a gold fish swimming but decided the threat of the cat getting wet was threatening enough.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
mhodges wrote:Sign me up for that one! As a "veteran" of multiple seasons as a "character actor" in an amusement park many years ago, I still have nightmares.

OK, it was not that bad, and was actually a lot of fun, but still there's always that one kid you'd like to hit over your head with your Captain Caveman club when no one is looking.

Ouch.

FWIW, I was Cuddles (of the Happy Tree Friends) for less than 2 hours total, and that experience was still enough to want to kill, kill, KILL. ^_^

midgerock

Re: D-I-Ysneyland

the work of you 2 together is fantastic. what I especially enjoy is the detail taken with the shadows created by the carts.

Lyndzloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lyndzloo
Re: I Get Around... and Around...

Awesome design as usual.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
collinvh wrote:creative idea, it made me chuckle. I've created a few snails myself +1

Lol, thanks!

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: It's All Fun and Games Until...

Very cute argyle like pattern. I loved playing this game as a kid.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
Re: at the washer park!

i suppose i could have made it clearer, the first thing that popped into my mind was a pile of photos to show that it was a series without looking like it came from a photo booth i guess, thanks for the compliments sogj!

means alot comming from you bootsboots, i'm glad one of the more elite wooters came across it!

fairnymph, i'm sorry it's not your style. great to hear your input, tho!

i'm glad you liked the idea DJT, i would have called it "INSHIRTPTION" but woot woulda knocked me for popculture references. i should have lead more into it in the the thumbnail maybe i would get more votes.
But the comments are just as good, thank you to everyone who did!

solusumbra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages solusumbra
sTyLeS wrote:Reminds me of the movie Explorers
I loved that one as a kid.

GOD YES! I had forgotten all about that movie!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Teripie wrote:I love this one!!! Now you know few guys are going to vote for this so we need to get the Woot sisterhood up and voting! I really want this shirt!

I would absolutely buy one for my daughter, so there you are.

move along

erina7262

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erina7262
sTyLeS wrote:Ha. I'm from the Denver area and know exactly what you're referring to. Funny.

Me too! Do you remember the gum tree near the Wild Cat at the old Elitches?? Or am I just showing my age now?

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
nblottie wrote:Thanks Boots! I'm a big fan of all your work. You always rock a few entries where as I struggle to find time just to submit one.

Aww, shucks. Your entries have started getting really good. I love both this one and the last one.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Unsuspecting Lovers

As you will see by the banner below, I now have a twitter account. Feel free to follow me...I will lead you onward to glory and a red dawn!!!

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: All About the Food

@ittybittyx: I know, right? Fair food is the best ^_^

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
erina7262 wrote:Me too! Do you remember the gum tree near the Wild Cat at the old Elitches?? Or am I just showing my age now?

I wasn't in the area for the old Elitches. But I'm pretty sure every amusement park in the world has their very own "gum tree".

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
amreli wrote:Every time I see the thumbnail, I think the funnel is a martini glass....mmm, martini cake....

I want martini cake...yummy....

Harmony Joy Wallender

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: Unsuspecting Lovers

I recognize the style, did you recently do a collab with Cole, or maybe it was Brett? I like this a lot, I love the froggy monster things.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
megsck wrote:not to mention that he didn't create mickey, someone who worked for him did...he did make bambi either, people who worked for him made it.

And to the other side, one could argue that because Harrison Ford played Han Solo, he owns Han Solo.

There are obvious reasons why you should not work as an artist for a company. You sign away any ideas which may be profitable. But you also go into it saying "hey, I'm making this for Disney," or "I'm making this for Warner Bros" or "I'm making this for Fuzzy Door," and by selling your soul to that company, your work becomes theirs, not yours. It's not "right," but it's how it goes. It's not like there's no credit given for the person who came up with Mickey.

There is also the issue of adaptation. You can't adapt visual to visual without making things dramatically different. You certainly can adapt book-to-film and put your own stamp on it. In the case of Bambi, the story rights were secured at the time of production. In the case of numerous other Disney works, no copyright would have been applicable. Again, is it right for a source to be buried? Does an animation company operate honorably by relegating their animators to brief references? It's a moot point. Just as Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings required actual builders who will never be properly acknowledged, but who signed on to build, not to get credit for the building, so too does every animation studio have grunts who have signed on to be grunts. So too does Nabisco have someone to design their Oreo packages who will never be seen. Art by committee boils down to that. The ethics of that sort of situation can be debated to high heaven, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney, as a company, owns Disney property. Sure, Disney also tries to own Non-Disney property, but that doesn't change the fact that Mickey Mouse is owned by Disney, and therefore, the only person who has a shred of claim to the character besides Disney is the man who created him. Outside of a damn strong parody (in the actual terms of parody, as opposed to "slapping mickey mouse on the death star for some reason"), there is no justification for using a Disney character. You're either stealing from the rightful owners, or you're perpetuating a continued theft against the true creators, depending on how you look at it.

The corporation-as-artist is a completely different argument, and one that doesn't apply to woot directly, since woot always makes their artists clear, and gives a justifiable wage to their artists. Artists don't design for Woot. There's no woot company headquarters where all these artists are sketching and sketching until they hit on a geeky enough or ugly enough tee. They are offering their own work for their own credit, and it remains their work when and if it is rejected for print, and it remains their work even if it is accepted for print, despite woot gaining the print rights. IP boils down to, someone owns each piece of art. It should always start with the creator itself. If that creator sells their creation, whether through a contract that strips them of rights or a flat out sale of rights, it is owned by the new owner of the rights. And so on. And while one can argue that Joe Rightbuyer should have no right to the profit off someone else's art, anyone other than the creator and joe rightbuyer has even less right to it. It's the same way that Ramy, despite mooching his style off a million shoddy otaku worldwide, isn't fair game for someone else to mooch off either, without a legitimate statement being made.

It's a sticky and convoluted world, this whole art game, but there should be no question on the very basics: if it ain't yours to use, don't use it. And that's what's being done here.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: Elephant Ears

i grew up in indiana and i always got elephant ears at fairs and stuff, but now I live in oklahoma and no one knows what an elephant ear is, they only have funnel cakes!! so sad

sTyLeS

Leahbh wrote:i grew up in indiana and i always got elephant ears at fairs and stuff, but now I live in oklahoma and no one knows what an elephant ear is, they only have funnel cakes!! so sad

Indeed.
I also lived for a spell in Holland, MI...which I believe is the only place you can find "Fat Balls" during their Tulip Time Festival. Imagine elephant ear dough, but instead of being flattened, it's left in a large lump and deep fried that way. So a big ball comes out, slightly larger than my fist. A slit is then cut into it and filled with various fillings, like bavarian cream, or chocolate, etc. Good stuff.

truffleshuffle

DJTweekNYC wrote:I recognize the style, did you recently do a collab with Cole, or maybe it was Brett? I like this a lot, I love the froggy monster things.

Thanks! and yeah, I did a collab with Cole not that long ago

truffleshuffle

Re: To Hell and Back

I seriously love this entry so much. I think it might be my favorite of yours so far...although I did really like "Oh Shiny" a lot too...still though, excellent job. GMV!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Glad to see this doing well again. I look forward to buying it this weekend!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Very clever. Looks like my walmazan collection will be getting bigger.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
DJTweekNYC wrote:I recognize the style, did you recently do a collab with Cole, or maybe it was Brett? I like this a lot, I love the froggy monster things.

We have done a few collabs. It was probably the red on red one that I was requesting color feedback on, right? The final version came out too awesome... can't see it yet though. Top Secret stuff

And as always, awesome job here truffle!

sTyLeS

Re: I'm Your Littlest Fan

What is the horn on the ice cream cone made out of? Is it edible?
Looks dangerous to me.

emmaoforange

AdderXYU wrote:You're either stealing from the rightful owners, or you're perpetuating a continued theft against the true creators, depending on how you look at it.

Well put.