capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
megsck wrote:not to mention that he didn't create mickey, someone who worked for him did...he did make bambi either, people who worked for him made it.

I'm fairly certain Disney actually did make Mickey atleast in the form of Steamboat Willie...

CVBrennan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan
Re: Tilt-A-Space

Obscure yet Lovable.
Nice work.

CVBrennan

Re: Argyle Coaster

i sort of like this design... nice composition.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
capedcrusader514 wrote:I'm fairly certain Disney actually did make Mickey atleast in the form of Steamboat Willie...

I could swear I watched a black and white video of Walt drawing Mickey Mouse. I remember this because it was creepy...

CVBrennan

Re: Free Dragon Rides!

Oh Noooooo's... where is the ride exit?!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, this made me chuckle out loud. Kudos. Simple art style, great idea. Kudos.

Why, thank you! I like to keep it simple

colourcraze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colourcraze
Re: The First Date

cute! I like the placement, too.

Melikins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Melikins
Re: Ferris Wheel of Love

Got my vote. I love ferris wheels! :D

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

I dig the scull on her shirt GMV

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
nuklearpie wrote:...1. Without knowing the context of the shirt "amusement parks," it's a bit difficult to to extrapolate that the short knight (SK) is being rejected for the siege. Or at least, it's not immediately apparent that is the intention.

Excellent start though! I enjoy entries like this instead of woodland creatures in funny poses...

All I would add to this comment is that it also holds if you don't know the title.
Excellent linework, so keep entering.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Argyle Coaster - Resub

This reminds me of building my own coasters on Roller Coaster Tycoon for some reason.

scynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scynn
viscosity2004 wrote:... what's the red...?

blood/puke

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
capedcrusader514 wrote:I'm fairly certain Disney actually did make Mickey atleast in the form of Steamboat Willie...

Ub Iwerks actually made mickey, walt disney has drawn him before like many other artists at disney and everywhere else. but the original character design was made by Ub Iwerks.

TonyJF

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TonyJF
Re: When They Fly

Even if this shirt doesn't win, I wish there was a way to get this shirt anyways. Even for $20!!

mjena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjena
paigeg wrote:LMAO! An ice cream tower might have been even funnier.
Good start - hang out here and read the threads, and you will learn a LOT.

Thanks--obviously my first (clumsy) attempt!

npromero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero

Way too cute for my taste, but I give you props (and a vote, what the hell im in a good mood tonight).
You have way more skill than I'll ever have.
Keep up the great work. :D

pandase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pandase
bassanimation wrote:We should meet up at UT and count bunny shirts :D.

Now that would be entertaining, but where would be the best place?
(my vote is for the turtle pond :D)

potsy356

quality posts: 0 Private Messages potsy356
jeanerz13 wrote:Following your pattern, shouldn't the popped one be yellow? Wow...I'm OCD or something...

this was an inside job o_O. the yellow balloons knew they were under represented and so they had him popped...

Great shirt Boots! Ever week i find myself admiring yet another one of your shirts

CVBrennan

Re: Well balanced meal

nice work!

mjena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjena
paigeg wrote:LMAO! An ice cream tower might have been even funnier.
Good start - hang out here and read the threads, and you will learn a LOT.

Thanks for the encouragement... I took your advice and redid the design with an ice cream tower...def much better idea, thanks! Hope you like it!

npromero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
megsck wrote:Ub Iwerks actually made mickey, walt disney has drawn him before like many other artists at disney and everywhere else. but the original character design was made by Ub Iwerks.

Hmm... all this rings a bell, but I was up at the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco this past weekend and there was an area that showed the transition from Oswald to Mickey. It was pretty sweet, they had what what is the first known sketch of Mickey on display.

Im a bit a Disney geek-tard and was too overwhelmed by all the amazing magic that was going on around me to notice who they credited, but I dont think/remember if was Ub Iwerks... gerr for my Disney ADD and not paying attention.

Oh well guess Ill just have to go back up, I love that place anyways.

I know I didn't help the conversation but I had to chime in.

tenecwhiskey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenecwhiskey
Re: Lucky Roller

Love the design but that green shirt is awful.

octochimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octochimp
Re: We are not amused

sorry about the poor quality of the preview image. This is my first submission, and it appears I submitted the wrong size file.

octochimp

octochimp wrote:sorry about the poor quality of the preview image. This is my first submission, and it appears I submitted the wrong size file.

here's a better version of the detail zoom image:

thanks for your patience. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
octochimp wrote:here's a better version of the detail zoom image:

thanks for your patience. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this.

Welcome to the derby. You have talent. However, you have broken a couple of the rules and it could potentially get your entry rejected. The most important one is that you're limited to six spot colors, and you have way more than six going on here. I see at least two reds, white, black, pink, orange, blue, yellow, green, three grays, peach, and aqua, and I feel like I may be missing even a couple more.

The other one is that your thumbnail and comp don't quite match. In your thumbnail, the background space is black. Your actual comp shows it being baby blue like the shirt.

Honestly, unless you want the practice, I probably wouldn't bother fixing for this derby. It's pretty rare that an entry submitted at this time would possibly print. Earlier submissions tend to do better. I'm not saying don't do it, just evaluate whether the time spent reducing all those colors to six seems like it would be worth it.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

I am loving this. Love the style. Love the humor. Nice job!

dooomcat

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dooomcat
grrlmarvel wrote:For those who haven't checked out bearnutscomic... do so. Doom you're extremely talented (and funny).

Thanks Grrl! I love your shirt designs!

octochimp

yankeebird wrote:Welcome to the derby. You have talent. However, you have broken a couple of the rules and it could potentially get your entry rejected. The most important one is that you're limited to six spot colors, and you have way more than six going on here. I see at least two reds, white, black, pink, orange, blue, yellow, green, three grays, peach, and aqua, and I feel like I may be missing even a couple more.

The other one is that your thumbnail and comp don't quite match. In your thumbnail, the background space is black. Your actual comp shows it being baby blue like the shirt.

Honestly, unless you want the practice, I probably wouldn't bother fixing for this derby. It's pretty rare that an entry submitted at this time would possibly print. Earlier submissions tend to do better. I'm not saying don't do it, just evaluate whether the time spent reducing all those colors to six seems like it would be worth it.

thanks Yankeebird, I really appreciate it. I had a pretty strong feeling I'd made those mistakes. I noticed everyone else had very few colours, and guessed that must be an issues but couldn't find the mention of it. I'd also thought that voting didn't start until they closed off entries tomorrow, but I see now it doesn't work that way either.
Thanks again for the helpful feedback. Good luck with your entry.

tigerfiend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigerfiend
sybrwookie wrote:I don't see love going slow, fast, or a licorice whip anywhere. Pass.

I like this design. It's a beautiful idea. However, I think that it does take a bit of time to follow the track and really 'get' the complete story/idea (depends how you look at it). I also feel like the stilts of this coaster look a bit odd, not because they're bad, 'cause they're not, but they just have nothing beneath them. It just seems a bit off to me. I'd still order this shirt, though. Great job with this!!!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
AdderXYU wrote:Just as Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings required actual builders who will never be properly acknowledged, but who signed on to build, not to get credit for the building, so too does every animation studio have grunts who have signed on to be grunts.

What about his drafters? We drafters never get any credit.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
octochimp wrote:thanks Yankeebird, I really appreciate it. I had a pretty strong feeling I'd made those mistakes. I noticed everyone else had very few colours, and guessed that must be an issues but couldn't find the mention of it. I'd also thought that voting didn't start until they closed off entries tomorrow, but I see now it doesn't work that way either.
Thanks again for the helpful feedback. Good luck with your entry.

Thanks, but I'm just a voter, not an artist. (You wouldn't be able to tell a fish from a cat with my art skills.)

When you go to the "submit" page, there's a list of rules. That's where the six color limit is mentioned. But you're right - if you see everyone else doing something a certain way, there's probably a reason for it.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
AdderXYU wrote:In the case of numerous other Disney works, no copyright would have been applicable.
The ethics of that sort of situation can be debated to high heaven, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney, as a company, owns Disney property. Sure, Disney also tries to own Non-Disney property, but that doesn't change the fact that Mickey Mouse is owned by Disney, and therefore, the only person who has a shred of claim to the character besides Disney is the man who created him.

Oh! The irony! Profiteering off of works in the public domain while lobbying hard to avoid contributing to it.

move along

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: The Caffeinator

puts a new spin on the term "tea cup ride."

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

It's too bad none of these Vikings have magic beards...

jessibot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessibot
lunadust12 wrote:i think he's tied up in gumiyo's basement

Nice. XD

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
walmazan wrote:Thanks for asking Tico, I couldn't finish it on time, but is ready now, and I will save it for another time, but now is one of my favs!

I will keep you posted!

Aw... I really hope we get to see/buy it soon!

~Tico

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Ice Cream Makes You Smart

Great idea! Funny, funny, funny.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: We are not amused

Come back and play again, though - I liked the Monty Python feel of this.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
npromero wrote:Way too cute for my taste, but I give you props (and a vote, what the hell im in a good mood tonight).
You have way more skill than I'll ever have.
Keep up the great work. :D

Hey I will take it, and Thanks. Only my second entry into a derby.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
npromero wrote:Hmm... all this rings a bell, but I was up at the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco this past weekend and there was an area that showed the transition from Oswald to Mickey. It was pretty sweet, they had what what is the first known sketch of Mickey on display.

Im a bit a Disney geek-tard and was too overwhelmed by all the amazing magic that was going on around me to notice who they credited, but I dont think/remember if was Ub Iwerks... gerr for my Disney ADD and not paying attention.

Oh well guess Ill just have to go back up, I love that place anyways.

I know I didn't help the conversation but I had to chime in.

It was Ub Iwerks, Disney admits it, its not really a mystery. He drew the character and Walt made the personality. He tried cute drawings of several animals before he found mickey based on some other guys drawings of mice, and he pretty much has oswalds body because Walt was probably still a bit miffed about loosing that character to universal. I'm an animator, so i've learned a bunch from school as well as just personal interest, even though im still a bigger warner fan than a disney fan ;) go bugs!