megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
cdrewlow wrote:What about his drafters? We drafters never get any credit.

also, animators are given credit...in the credits...that is what they are there for =)

flatlimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatlimp
ochopika wrote:I think the composition is really cool, I like t-shirts with designs that are asymmetrical. It takes some skill make an off-centered composition successfully.

The monochromatic color scheme doesn't look bad, but it might be more eye-catching if the "rainbow" element there was in color.

You could even make it gradually turn colored as it comes out of the guy's hat. That might add some more depth to the design.

Overall I think its pretty sweet.

Thank you very much for the tips

-There's my Chippy

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
cdrewlow wrote:It's too bad none of these Vikings have magic beards...

oh those beards have magic, they are just so excited about the free rides (vikings are very frugal) that they have no time to gather their beard magic before they are swallowed up! =)

gymst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gymst

wow, i would have sworn, based on the thumbnail, that this was definitely a walamazan design, which is of course a compliment. this definitely gets my vote. love the colors and execution of this great concept!

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: “License and Registration”

I should have said this in my original comment but I keep coming back to look at your coloring.
I think this might be your best coloring yet, it is THAT great.It looks SOOOO good! You really really nailed it, plus it's just so funny.

Awesomeness.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
Re: at the washer park!

In the bottom photo... Is that shirt throwing up? LOL

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
colourcraze wrote:cute! I like the placement, too.

Thank You, I played with the placement for what seemed like an eternity. Getting the right balance was also a task.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
collinvh wrote:I dig the scull on her shirt GMV

Yes the Ladies love Skullzees too.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
megsck wrote:It was Ub Iwerks, Disney admits it, its not really a mystery. He drew the character and Walt made the personality. He tried cute drawings of several animals before he found mickey based on some other guys drawings of mice, and he pretty much has oswalds body because Walt was probably still a bit miffed about loosing that character to universal. I'm an animator, so i've learned a bunch from school as well as just personal interest, even though im still a bigger warner fan than a disney fan ;) go bugs!

Mickey's design also fell into the style that was being used back in those early days of really simple silhouettes and shapes with very basic musculature, due to the animation process being so new and relatively immature. He's pretty close to Felix the Cat, who debuted a good nine years prior in 1919, as well as Bosko and Bimbo, both of whom were created very shortly after Mickey. What really set him apart from the rest was, as you mentioned, the personality that Walt gave him. Without that to engage the audiences, he could've easily fallen to the wayside along with so many of early animation's characters.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
pandase wrote:Now that would be entertaining, but where would be the best place?
(my vote is for the turtle pond :D)

If you take peanuts and throw them, the turtles will eat them! UT is awesome, all the animals come right up to you because they're so used to people. The squirrels and pigeons will just come sit on you and eat your snacks :D.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
collinvh wrote:In the bottom photo... Is that shirt throwing up? LOL

indubitably!

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
rglee129 wrote:Great idea! Funny, funny, funny.

Thanks a lot, Robbie! Seriously.

thatamos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatamos

It kills me that I can't buy this now.

dirtycake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirtycake

BEST SHIRT EVA!!!!! I want one!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
dirtycake wrote:BEST SHIRT EVA!!!!! I want one!

Dooooooom!!!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

I love the little details in this one, namely that some of the riders are dogs and that one of the passengers has fallen off of the graduated cylinder drop, haha. Really great job

sprayplane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sprayplane

pineapple2heart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pineapple2heart
kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:aaaaalrighty then, tell me why you hate it! no feedback is bad.

I love the idea, but w/o the title you wouldn't know what this shirt is about. Maybe if you back out of one of the images to show a front loaded washer.
BTW, I love the 'picture' on the bottom of the shirt puking bubbles... gave me a good laugh.

truffleshuffle

Re: It's All Fun and Games Until...

This game suddenly seems so morbid. Seeing your closest buddy deflate..talk about ruining your day...haha

truffleshuffle

Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

This shirt is cute AND I'm learning from it. Awesome idea!! GMV.

truffleshuffle

Re: Fun house reflections

I gotta love the creepiness of that biggest bunny...and yet...I also pity him. So profound Great design!

fuzznarf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzznarf
Re: Really Bad Day – resub

love love love it. and i love corndogs

truffleshuffle

Re: Delusions of Grandeur

This shirt should be made into an inspirational poster with the caption "What matters most is how you see yourself". BOOM! INSPIRE'D! Haha, but in all seriousness, this is a pretty awesome design. Good work!

truffleshuffle

Re: Lost in Nightmares

That is one awesomely creepy balloon. I would like it please. That is all

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Dunk O' Kitty

I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.

truffleshuffle

Re: Free Dragon Rides!

Hahaha, I love this. GMV all the way!

truffleshuffle

Re: Bunnypark

I love the floppiness and motion indicated by the way you drew the bunny. Also, you're super awesome at shading. Good jorb!!

Wetbo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wetbo
Re: Argyle Coaster - Resub

why does the coaster have to go into my nipples? =P

jackie879

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackie879

This is beautiful in a tragic sort of way. I like it.

zissu600

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zissu600
Re: I Get Around... and Around...

this is very pretty, and elegant

sTyLeS

midgerock wrote:I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.

I dunno...it just didn't speak to me. It's done well and all, just not my type of shirt. Not into kittehs.

collinvh

Re: Wooden Wonder - The Main Attraction

Thanks again novastarj. I also want to thank every woot voter that helped me get me to this point. This is my best entry yet and very exciting for me.

Clearing the fog (wishful pun):
I don't have a big woot following and I don't "get votes from a newsletter, mass emails, fake accounts or shout outs". I was not accused of this nor do I think many good artist on woot use these methods. See GUMIYO thread for quote.

I have a few friends and my family behind me - thanks guys. ANY artist with skills and drive can make it on woot. Thank you everyone and thanks woot.

Now, onto the main attraction.

Creative: The derby topic was released at noon and I was on the phone with my wife... "BIG" she replied.

From there, I got back to my biggest memory from my adolescent amusement park trips. My FIRST big ride. The American Eagle. Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, Illinois.

The shirt image is my memory of looking up at the big drop standing in line. The two inks were selected to represent the final ride.

The American Eagle - WIKI: "127 feet (38 m) tall and reaches speeds of 66 mph (105 km/h). The bottom of the first drop is built 20 feet (6.1 m) below ground level, bringing the height of the first drop to just over 147 feet (45 m). The Eagle debuted in 1981 as the tallest and fastest racing wooden roller coaster in the world, which it still retains today."

sTyLeS

Re: Resubmition: Kernel Panic

I thought the power button symbol was copyrighted...?

dreamwootseeker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker
otpsac wrote:
Joking aside, the only good thing about this design is that it somehow mercifully stopped Ramby from submitting his death/rabbit/penguin shirt design this week. So thank you whoever you are.

Amen to that!!

collinvh

kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:indubitably!

LOVE IT!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
megsck wrote:also, animators are given credit...in the credits...that is what they are there for =)

Lucky! All I get are my initials next to a revision note.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
AdderXYU wrote:And to the other side, one could argue that because Harrison Ford played Han Solo, he owns Han Solo.

There are obvious reasons why you should not work as an artist for a company. You sign away any ideas which may be profitable. But you also go into it saying "hey, I'm making this for Disney," or "I'm making this for Warner Bros" or "I'm making this for Fuzzy Door," and by selling your soul to that company, your work becomes theirs, not yours. It's not "right," but it's how it goes. It's not like there's no credit given for the person who came up with Mickey.

There is also the issue of adaptation. You can't adapt visual to visual without making things dramatically different. You certainly can adapt book-to-film and put your own stamp on it. In the case of Bambi, the story rights were secured at the time of production. In the case of numerous other Disney works, no copyright would have been applicable. Again, is it right for a source to be buried? Does an animation company operate honorably by relegating their animators to brief references? It's a moot point. Just as Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings required actual builders who will never be properly acknowledged, but who signed on to build, not to get credit for the building, so too does every animation studio have grunts who have signed on to be grunts. So too does Nabisco have someone to design their Oreo packages who will never be seen. Art by committee boils down to that. The ethics of that sort of situation can be debated to high heaven, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney, as a company, owns Disney property. Sure, Disney also tries to own Non-Disney property, but that doesn't change the fact that Mickey Mouse is owned by Disney, and therefore, the only person who has a shred of claim to the character besides Disney is the man who created him. Outside of a damn strong parody (in the actual terms of parody, as opposed to "slapping mickey mouse on the death star for some reason"), there is no justification for using a Disney character. You're either stealing from the rightful owners, or you're perpetuating a continued theft against the true creators, depending on how you look at it.

The corporation-as-artist is a completely different argument, and one that doesn't apply to woot directly, since woot always makes their artists clear, and gives a justifiable wage to their artists. Artists don't design for Woot. There's no woot company headquarters where all these artists are sketching and sketching until they hit on a geeky enough or ugly enough tee. They are offering their own work for their own credit, and it remains their work when and if it is rejected for print, and it remains their work even if it is accepted for print, despite woot gaining the print rights. IP boils down to, someone owns each piece of art. It should always start with the creator itself. If that creator sells their creation, whether through a contract that strips them of rights or a flat out sale of rights, it is owned by the new owner of the rights. And so on. And while one can argue that Joe Rightbuyer should have no right to the profit off someone else's art, anyone other than the creator and joe rightbuyer has even less right to it. It's the same way that Ramy, despite mooching his style off a million shoddy otaku worldwide, isn't fair game for someone else to mooch off either, without a legitimate statement being made.

It's a sticky and convoluted world, this whole art game, but there should be no question on the very basics: if it ain't yours to use, don't use it. And that's what's being done here.

So I've been trolling around this site for awhile now and I've certainly read quite a few of the Ramy threads (mostly because I like to watch the drama unfold ;D )and I have to say that these days I'm more inclined to agree with the Ramy nay-sayers. This little experiment was pretty ridiculous and it wasn't even that much of and experiment... in fact I'm not sure it should be called that. So I agree with tgentry... Epic Fail!

Now, Adder you're probably wondering why I replied to you Mostly it's because I'm extremely curious about what you do for a living. I have this weird feeling that you should be an Opinions Columnist... don't know why I'd get that vibe just had this odd thought that you'd be good at it. :D

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

tenecwhiskey wrote:Love the design but that green shirt is awful.

Yea olive isn't for everyone, I guess. I can see what you mean with the less-saturated colors of my design, maybe a lighter green would work better! I'll do more experimenting with shirt colors next time.

collinvh

I can see it now. A Funnel Cake Martini - garnished with powdered sugar. That does sound good

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

ochopika wrote:Yea olive isn't for everyone, I guess. I can see what you mean with the less-saturated colors of my design, maybe a lighter green would work better! I'll do more experimenting with shirt colors next time.

I meant that I'm assuming you meant that the green looks bad with the design, not that you just don't like olive green.