ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Lucky Roller V2

Helloes! I know there isn't time for this to win or anything, but I like to change stuff based on advice and see if yous guys like it better.

It is good to experiment like that

seanpsimmons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanpsimmons

Not a very strong derby this week. Nothing I'm very excited about and the top 12 has been pretty much the same since the first few hours. Guess it's hard to follow up on Zombie week.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
ThunderThighs wrote:CRAP! I accidentally deleted Funnytoad's post. Apologies. Here it is. :

Boots = Win

Trav, think of this as a learning experience instead of moaning about how unfair the world is. Your competing against folks that have talent. If you have it, find the spot where it SHINES BRILLIANT!

Expect to get shot down often and hard.
Rebound or don't, but don't whine.

I LIKE the thought of your design, but I wouldn't wear your shirt to my workplace for fear of having my face beat in by a mob of ... uhh... my workmates.

I think ol' travis would have benefited more from this if it was in the correct thread. :P

(don't worry.... I showed it to him)

Nothing follows.

travisk02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisk02
ThunderThighs wrote:CRAP! I accidentally deleted Funnytoad's post. Apologies. Here it is. :

Boots = Win

Trav, think of this as a learning experience instead of moaning about how unfair the world is. Your competing against folks that have talent. If you have it, find the spot where it SHINES BRILLIANT!

Expect to get shot down often and hard.
Rebound or don't, but don't whine.

I LIKE the thought of your design, but I wouldn't wear your shirt to my workplace for fear of having my face beat in by a mob of ... uhh... my workmates.

Aw come on TT... I wasn't whining. Just thought I had a good argument for it and seeing if I could "sway" that which is Woot. ;)

And you'd be the hot topic of the cooler talk if you wore my shirt to work... don't you want the attention?

"Expect to get shot down often and hard." -- teh Great TT

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
bassanimation wrote:If you take peanuts and throw them, the turtles will eat them! UT is awesome, all the animals come right up to you because they're so used to people. The squirrels and pigeons will just come sit on you and eat your snacks :D.

That'd be awesome!

Squirrels are pretty much my favorite mammal... I think I might have to take a road trip.

I'm sure there are other things to do... you know... besides being the weird squirrel feeding guy.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Assassin15 wrote:Who's this "Crescentbris" guy whose name appears on the comp?

Drakxxx thought it was unfair that everyone spells my name right but calls him "Draxxx" or "drakxx" or "drax" or "draxxs"... so he sabotaged the comp for his own personal gain. Or it's a typo.

akirahatesyou wrote:I have to say that I'm disappointed in this entry. I've been hoping to see more in this style, but not a replica.

I already own "Nightmare Circus", which seemed to have much more effort put into it. (No offense! I love Drakxxx and CrescentDebris, but this just doesn't look as finished as the other.)

Why does Akirahateus?

j5 wrote:Something wicked this way comes.

Maybe a Drakxxx favorite. I don't know. I missed that one as a kid I guess. It's tough to come up with something that doesn't look at least a bit like something else these day, but I will agree it does have some commonalities. Too bad he doesn't have a balloon or a hand full of people... then he's be cooler.

aisare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aisare

kronuskaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kronuskaos

GMV

bubblesister1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubblesister1
Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

This is phenomenal.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
midgerock wrote:I'm surprised that this design isn't doing as well as I thought.

I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

The cat is oddly cartooned. The body looks rather small and cartoonish compare to the head which seems to have realistic cat features on a rather large head for the body. Cat's actually have small heads for their bodies unless they are kittens. Even if the cat is suppose to be a kitten the muzzle feels really large on the face and looks more like a large cat rather then a house cat.

This makes the cat feel off balanced and not as appealing. If you made the cat all cartoony or all realistic it might work better. Though the pose also feels a bit odd for a realistic cat.

I feel like the design is a bit complicated and big on the shirt. Some of the background elements seem unnecessary or are just not helping the design as much as they should. The large banner behind the rat for instance. I feel like the words should either take up the whole banner or the banner should not be quite as large. The slogan could be more interesting as well "Dunk O' Kitty" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

The background pieces look really flat to me even though I think you wanted them to feel like they were round. The pool of water under the cat is the object with the most perspective issues. The top lip of the pool curves up but the top of the clear part right under it curves down fighting the optical illusion of it being a round object.

The coloring feels a bit muddy and not as striking. This is probably an issue with using too many soft half tones around the lines. Sometimes when the shading is too soft on an image with bold inking it makes the coloring feel like it has no real shape. Adding in some hard edged shadows(maybe using a 5th or 6th color) along with the soft shading helps minimize that effect.

Some of these things could be okay, though I think the cartooning issue on the cat would still bother me, if there was a stronger concept or joke to this shirt. I feel like the cat doesn't look scared or worried enough. He could look a lot more interesting if he was puffed out like when cats get scared. Right now I just feel like there's not enough to the shirt to really make it interesting.

This doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It's just not as interesting as it could be. Anyway I hope this helps you a little.

MirKaplak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MirKaplak

Love the puns!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: To Hell And Back v2

There were a few minor minor booboos on my first submission that I didn't notice till later. I doesn't seemed like people noticed or cared, but I noticed and they BUGGED me. I had to go back and fix them. Thought I upload it here in the off-chance that this got an HM. No need to really revote. It is basically the same design... just a tad cleaner.

bloczyns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloczyns
Re: The Red Barron's First Flight

Just perfect. My son is a coaster/thrill ride junkie- I look at this and see him. Amazing job!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

Considering some of the entries in front of this, it must be something more.

To me, the cat looks like he enjoys this too much.

move along

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

I love it!

My middle girl did a big project in school - a cartoon of the water cycle, and she would love to have this shirt!

dannidoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannidoll
CVBrennan wrote:nice work!

Thank you! I'm still figuring out which designs work for shirts. I'm really enjoying everyone's submissions!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share ... Anyway I hope this helps you a little.

Wish everyone would give, request, and accept feedback like this. This kind of well thought out feedback is gold.

Other considerations for this design might be to reposition the mouse away from the sign so it's given a clean, easily read silhouette, check the perspectives on the cylinders, and move away from a complimentary color scheme with an already complicated/busy design, or simplify the design and keep the colors. I think the idea is solid in terms of being Woot friendly and could easily be retooled into a highly voted entry.

dannidoll

Re: The First Date

Super adorable!
This design is just charming. =D

firewallender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firewallender
Wetbo wrote:why does the coaster have to go into my nipples? =P

HAhahaha....

dannidoll

Re: Delusions of Grandeur

This is adorable.

I like that the mirrors are correct... but I'm surprised that anyone cares. I feel like that cat would see himself the same way in any mirror... =P

kiveya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiveya
waywardcat wrote:Like it or not, this shirt is sexual. If you take away the knowledge of the derby theme, what else could this shirt mean? (Not everyone who sees someone wearing a shirt knows where it came from, after all.) It's sexual, and because of that, it's also a bit derogatory. It basically says "I will not have sex with pregnant ladies, or fat chicks or children". Not having sex with kids is good, obviously, but "no fat chicks" is, well, mean.

I don't see how the whole sexual thing is not painfully obvious, honestly.

This, I thought it was painfully obvious, especially since all three figures are female.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

I first want to say, thanks for taking to time to provide the feedback you did. I ask for it weekly and never get it. also fyi, thanks for the feedback in the prederby thread with my other design.

DianaSprinkle wrote:I have a few thoughts on it. I have no idea if these things are actually problems causing people not to vote but I noticed them so I will share.

The cat is oddly cartooned. The body looks rather small and cartoonish compare to the head which seems to have realistic cat features on a rather large head for the body. Cat's actually have small heads for their bodies unless they are kittens. Even if the cat is suppose to be a kitten the muzzle feels really large on the face and looks more like a large cat rather then a house cat.

This makes the cat feel off balanced and not as appealing. If you made the cat all cartoony or all realistic it might work better. Though the pose also feels a bit odd for a realistic cat.

as to the rendering. I think may be more preference for you than mass preferences. I appreciate the thought but I don't think that needs to change. I am actually quite happy with the animals in how their rendered.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
I feel like the design is a bit complicated and big on the shirt. Some of the background elements seem unnecessary or are just not helping the design as much as they should. The large banner behind the rat for instance. I feel like the words should either take up the whole banner or the banner should not be quite as large. The slogan could be more interesting as well "Dunk O' Kitty" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

as to the banner that actually is how dunk tanks are normally set up. as this is set up right now is how you would see a dunk tank. I was going to initially omit the text but again it was need to break up the field of yellow. As to the title of the game being dunk o' kitty, well I think that again may be personal preference.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
The background pieces look really flat to me even though I think you wanted them to feel like they were round. The pool of water under the cat is the object with the most perspective issues. The top lip of the pool curves up but the top of the clear part right under it curves down fighting the optical illusion of it being a round object.

I agree with you on this an see what you mean the perspective is off and needs tweaking.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
The coloring feels a bit muddy and not as striking. This is probably an issue with using too many soft half tones around the lines. Sometimes when the shading is too soft on an image with bold inking it makes the coloring feel like it has no real shape. Adding in some hard edged shadows(maybe using a 5th or 6th color) along with the soft shading helps minimize that effect.

Thanks coloring has been a issue for me and I trying new tricks to get it together so I appreciate your advice on that.

DianaSprinkle wrote:
Some of these things could be okay, though I think the cartooning issue on the cat would still bother me, if there was a stronger concept or joke to this shirt. I feel like the cat doesn't look scared or worried enough. He could look a lot more interesting if he was puffed out like when cats get scared. Right now I just feel like there's not enough to the shirt to really make it interesting.

This doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It's just not as interesting as it could be. Anyway I hope this helps you a little.

again appreciate the feedback. I understand you don't find the concept and execution interesting, so that comes down to a matter of taste for you but I appreciate the elements which may make the design better apart from my concept and rendering.

@ tgentry, as I said I am thanks for the feedback and this may be the first time in a long time some one has taken the time to provide feedback. Thank you.

leroo15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leroo15
Re: Free Dragon Rides!

I really like your work, I loved "beard magic" too. And, who doesn't love vikings? They have such great hats.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Super Park

It is nicely done, but I'm surprised it didn't get a pop culture reject like the other one with Godzilla did.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Bunnypark

thanks everyone for the comments and glad there was a few who dug this design. back tot he drawing board for next week.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: We are not amused

Read up on the heather gray too, one a derby seems to get rejected for not including the texture in their images.

mattcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattcom

Re: Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones

This is the winner, nothing can stop its rise to glory.

burnapaperzach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages burnapaperzach
Re: Lady Liberty's Day at the Fair

Really late entry, and also my first derby sub. Just wanted to get a feel for it!

luvlivlif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvlivlif
seanpsimmons wrote:Funny concept and good art. I can't buy anything with bunnies or pandas, though, just on principal.

I feel the same way about pandas. What wild animal is too lazy to have sex to save their on species?...What wild animal is too lazy to have sex period!?

Anyway, I love DOoOmcat (big fan of the Bear Nuts comic) and I like the design.

mattcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattcom
blanked wrote:It is nicely done, but I'm surprised it didn't get a pop culture reject like the other one with Godzilla did.

Whoa, hey now. Thats RODzilla, Godzilla's plumber brother-in-law and hes never been involved in show business. He got the gig you see here because he was at super park to fix the toilets, super park needed a generic giant lizard to stand menacingly next to a rollercoaster, next thing you know, whammo: Rodzilla gets his time in the light.

Its his time to shine...and you want to take that away from him? For shame, sir, for shame.

tindal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tindal
Re: Free Dragon Rides!

I so want this to win

burnapaperzach

Re: Lady Liberty's Day at the Fair

Late entry, but also my first derby sub. Just thought I'd get a feel for it!

burnapaperzach

Re: You must be this tall to siege!

This is super cool!

wepnar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wepnar
ochopika wrote:Helloes! I know there isn't time for this to win or anything, but I like to change stuff based on advice and see if yous guys like it better.

It is good to experiment like that

I actually preferred the original design on the darker green. However that's just my personal preference, I have no artistic credentials whatsoever. I'm not one of the artists just an observer and a buyer when the shirt is right. I like your designs better than some of the more polished and overly done that often win. Keep at it!!

teacherminda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teacherminda
Re: Carousel Ride To Your Doom

I think this is my favorite idea, but I would have loved a horse or other animal in a more toddler friendly design. Yeah, I know it sounds like I'm being too much of a mommy.... But I do appreciate the artistic ability that would cause second and third looks from people seeing this worn. Good job!!!

Autism Awareness... see them as they are: PRECIOUS PEOPLE first, disability second.

jwoodrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwoodrich
Wetbo wrote:why does the coaster have to go into my nipples? =P

For a trip down mammary lane of course

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

travisk02 wrote:Aw come on TT... I wasn't whining. Just thought I had a good argument for it and seeing if I could "sway" that which is Woot. ;)

And you'd be the hot topic of the cooler talk if you wore my shirt to work... don't you want the attention?

FUNNYTOAD! Not TT. I just screwed up everything.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: We are not amused

From the comp, I thought it was Gilbert Gottfried...boy was I surprised!

viscosity2004

quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
scynn wrote:blood/puke

That's some messed up ride if anyone is puking blood. Would be better if it was green.

fossilgirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: The Red Barron's First Flight

You made my heart smile. So Beautiful.....