WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

Here's how the Reckoning week runs now: every Tuesday at midnight, we retire the previous week's lowest-selling shirts and launch this here discussion thread. Tuesday around noon we'll post the all-new, all-early Reckoning Recon. On Friday, we'll juice demand and prime the pump with a little weekend reminder post. Finally, on the following Monday, the Day of Reckoning post sounds the last call for the Reckoned shirts. All of those posts will be linked below. Monday night (or Tuesday morning), it starts all over again. The Reckoning, she is a hungry beast...

Quality Posts

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

Two brown shirts... featuring zombies... with brain talk balloons... by patrickspens... right next to each other. It's like one of those "Find the differences between these two pictures" things you see in kids magazines!

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

LOL Most Lady Friendly is Cardio! Awesome! I think if I were running from zombies I'd wish for a Gundam.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Congratulations to Bass on a spectacular reckoning debut of your shirt!

Assassin15

bassanimation wrote:LOL Most Lady Friendly is Cardio! Awesome! I think if I were running from zombies I'd wish for a Gundam.

Ahh Gundams. I remember having huge arguments with my dad as to whether the Hulk could beat a Gundam or not. He was a die-hard Hulk fan.

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 66 Private Messages sparrowhawk69
bluejester wrote:Congratulations to Bass on a spectacular reckoning debut of your shirt!

Hey, Cheese came out on top. Who would have ever guessed that would happen with only 8110 sold it's 1st week?

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong

It looks like the zombies in "Acquired Taste" grew up to be in "If I Only Had a Brain."

I love this website! ^^

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

May 2, 2011 will be of those big "ends in 0" birthdays, so it feels like a Day of Reckoning indeed.

*sob*

My birthday presents are "Binge" and "No One Left to Play With," so at least I'll have some good souvenirs from my traumatic day!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

Congrats to the #1 spot for the next four weeks, Bass!

Why can I say that? Well, can you imagine any other shirt yielding a daily sales rate that's currently over 850?

For comparisons, in the past week, Meh had a DSR of just over 41.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I suspect the "If I only had a brain" shirt might....
uh...
cannibalize sales of "acquired taste" XD

Is Bass' retirement fund made from cheese?

move along

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I don't feel like rummaging through prior reckoning threads to find the answer...
Can someone explain how Nevermore is still on here? It doesn't seem to sell very many each week. What's the formula for determining the top 20?

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

virgilcaine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages virgilcaine
ArdillaCiega wrote:I know this has probably been discussed before, but I don't feel like rummaging through prior reckoning threads to find the answer...
Can someone explain how Nevermore is still on here? It doesn't seem to sell very many each week. What's the formula for determining the top 20?

It's measured by (average?) post-launch sales per day over the past four weeks, not just in the past week. I was confused by this too until I looked it up, since "It Came out of Nowhere" is currently listed as worst seller for this week, yet somehow holds 14th in the Reckoning.

So I guess that means "Nevermore" is still selling a decent amount per day, or at least enough over a four-week span to knock off the would-be displacing shirts.

Worthwhile question for those new to the process.

Narfcake

j5 wrote:I suspect the "If I only had a brain" shirt might....
uh...
cannibalize sales of "acquired taste" XD

On the corollary, there may be folks that want to buy both of them too. You never know.

Is Bass' retirement fund made from cheese?

If it becomes the next "The Binge", it might just be.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Assassin15 wrote:Two brown shirts... featuring zombies... with brain talk balloons... by patrickspens... right next to each other. It's like one of those "Find the differences between these two pictures" things you see in kids magazines!

Oddly enough, I had to do a double-take and wondered why "No One Left to Play With" was at 22 AND 17. Then realized I was looking at two *different* firey-themed PP shirts on asphalt.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
virgilcaine wrote:It's measured by (average?) post-launch sales per day over the past four weeks, not just in the past week. I was confused by this too until I looked it up, since "It Came out of Nowhere" is currently listed as worst seller for this week, yet somehow holds 14th in the Reckoning.

So I guess that means "Nevermore" is still selling a decent amount per day, or at least enough over a four-week span to knock off the would-be displacing shirts.

Worthwhile question for those new to the process.

thanks for clearing this up, I was wondering the same thing.

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
endangeredomega wrote:Oddly enough, I had to do a double-take and wondered why "No One Left to Play With" was at 22 AND 17. Then realized I was looking at two *different* firey-themed PP shirts on asphalt.

Indeed, patrickspens has a lot of duplication in the four designs he currently has up, which is surprising given how much variety is normally in his shirts (I guess it's a testament to the tastes of the Woot audience).

Two brown zombie shirts, and two asphalt firey/fantasy shirts.

I'd bet quite a bit he gets another in this week, as his current Derby entry is quite spectacular (though I think he'll loses a shirt also).

The real surprise is ramyb, who could be down to 2 shirts in the Reckoning (neither of which seem that strong to me) if he loses "Cooler than you," and he doesn't even have an entry in this Derby.

Narfcake

virgilcaine wrote:So I guess that means "Nevermore" is still selling a decent amount per day, or at least enough over a four-week span to knock off the would-be displacing shirts.

9 days ago, it sold 36,595. 4 days ago, 36,703.

Today, it's at 36,773. 178/8.85 (for the time difference) = DSR of 20.11

Of course, this is just over the past 9 days, and Woot takes the past 28 days. That also explains why some shirts drop like a rock in ranks on week #5, as the initial week's sales won't be counted anymore.

Narfcake

novastarj wrote:(I guess it's a testament to the tastes of the Woot audience).

If there was any positive aspect to Gumiyo's now rejected derby test, is that yeah, a good portion of Woot's audience does vote and buy those that look familiar, even if it's not the "best" by other folks' opinions.

The real surprise is ramyb, who could be down to 2 shirts in the Reckoning (neither of which seem that strong to me) if he loses "Cooler than you," and he doesn't even have an entry in this Derby.

If it's anything, we'll see if there are any last-minute surprises again that his followers tend to pull off.

As for similar shirts that are currently in the reckoning ... it just goes to show the different ways that an art or style can be applied to the derby's theme.

jessierahl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessierahl

I hope some of these stick around a little longer... Being poor and in college sucks for buying awesome t-shirts.

Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire. Deserve victory. Tagla vassternich.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
jessierahl wrote:I hope some of these stick around a little longer... Being poor and in college sucks for buying awesome t-shirts.

Out of college 5 years ... *Still* poor, plus with student loans to pay off. Hate to break the bad news, but buying awesome t-shirts doesn't get any easier (especially if you're dumb enough to go to art school instead of getting a "real" [useful-in-the-real-world] degree!) ;p

j5

endangeredomega wrote:Out of college 5 years ... *Still* poor, plus with student loans to pay off. Hate to break the bad news, but buying awesome t-shirts doesn't get any easier (especially if you're dumb enough to go to art school instead of getting a "real" [useful-in-the-real-world] degree!) ;p

Aw man! Story of my life....except the part where I quit art school in favor of engineering.
I hear there's a good market for awesome T-shirts depicting various anthro objects doing random silly things.

move along

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Well hello there, New Numero Uno! This week's Reckoning sure shook up the standings. We saw some long-running shirts bite the dust and now we have TWO noobs in the Top 3! So peruse our wares, Shirt.Wooters. Take a look at the Reckoning page and see what tickles your fancy. Do you like zombies? Oh are YOU in for a treat if you do. We've got plenty of rotting corpse shirts to tide you over and lots of other junk too, so stop by! Here are the standings as of when I copied and pasted this:

1. The Cheese is a Liederkranz (noob)
  2. Meh
  3. If I Only Had a Brain (noob)
  4. Acquired Taste
  5. In Harmony
  6. Books - No Electricity Required
  7. The Binge
  8. World 1-1 Building 
  9. Tea!
  10. Unstealthiest Ninja
  11. Minor Modifications
  12. Reflections on Pi
  13. Nevermore
  14. It Came Out Of Nowhere
  15. Spectrum
  16. Natural Instinct
  17. No one left to play with
  18. Fresh Cake
  19. Metrognome
  20. Odd Bear Out

THE DANGER ZONE

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
endangeredomega wrote:Out of college 5 years ... *Still* poor, plus with student loans to pay off. Hate to break the bad news, but buying awesome t-shirts doesn't get any easier (especially if you're dumb enough to go to art school instead of getting a "real" [useful-in-the-real-world] degree!) ;p

I hear you. Out six years, paying off the loans on the salary you get from being an English/theatre major. AND just completed an MFA in playwriting. Wooo useless degrees!

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
Narfcake wrote:9 days ago, it sold 36,595. 4 days ago, 36,703.

Today, it's at 36,773. 178/8.85 (for the time difference) = DSR of 20.11

Of course, this is just over the past 9 days, and Woot takes the past 28 days. That also explains why some shirts drop like a rock in ranks on week #5, as the initial week's sales won't be counted anymore.

It was my understanding that, for Reckoning purposes, only post-launch sales per-day count. So I'm not sure there would be any trend of "dropping like a rock" in week 5. First week sales outside of the launch day probably aren't THAT much higher than normal reckoning sales, except perhaps for sold out shirts that people want to get their hands on quickly.

emberdione

quality posts: 3 Private Messages emberdione

I.missed.school.

Seriously, I never bought it and had resolved to wait until it was reckoned and then forgot. /facepalm

Weird, it edits o m g to one more gargleblaster?!? what's that about?

Narfcake

novastarj wrote:It was my understanding that, for Reckoning purposes, only post-launch sales per-day count.

That is correct.

So I'm not sure there would be any trend of "dropping like a rock" in week 5. First week sales outside of the launch day probably aren't THAT much higher than normal reckoning sales, except perhaps for sold out shirts that people want to get their hands on quickly.

To make it to week 5, it would have had to have been a popular shirt, so.

(Edited for better examples)

Error – Cuteness Overflow, with a #5 debut, was 4th, 5th, and 12th the following weeks. Week 5 came, and with the initial week's sales out of the equation, it didn't make it.

The same could be said for Change comes to all, which had a #4 debut in that same week. Week 5, and it went from #10 to #22.

So the initial week's sales can count a lot for the shirts.

bluejester

emberdione wrote:I.missed.school.

One more gargleblaster. Seriously, I never bought it and had resolved to wait until it was reckoned and then forgot. /facepalm

Yeah, I can relate to that one. When I knew yesterday was it's last day, I thought that I might finally snag it either for a friend's 1 year-old. I had planned to get it yesterday when I got home from work, but got home just at the cut off time.

::shrugs:: Easy come, easy go.

catoosie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catoosie

Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me.
And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil

In one week, Cheese has sold approximately 1/5 the total number of shirts the Binge has over 85 weeks. Now I doubt we'll continue to see 500-800 shirts sold a day like we have been, but it will be interesting to see if Cheese has legs like Binge or if it's a front-ended shirt.

Either way, congrats to bassanimation for having a recordbreaker shirt. I love it when my favorite artists get big breaks. Enjoy your Scrooge McDuck vault of money that's coming.

bluejester

polluxoil wrote:In one week, Cheese has sold approximately 1/5 the total number of shirts the Binge has over 85 weeks. Now I doubt we'll continue to see 500-800 shirts sold a day like we have been, but it will be interesting to see if Cheese has legs like Binge or if it's a front-ended shirt.

Either way, congrats to bassanimation for having a recordbreaker shirt. I love it when my favorite artists get big breaks. Enjoy your Scrooge McDuck vault of money that's coming.

It's not a vault, it's a bin. And if she has a McDuck size money bin, I hope she throws a pool party sometime soon.

Assassin15

I'd say it's safe to assume that Had a Brain won't be moving up any higher.

Narfcake

bluejester wrote:It's not a vault, it's a bin. And if she has a McDuck size money bin, I hope she throws a pool party sometime soon.

You do realize swimming in a pool of money really really hurts, though, right?

j5

polluxoil wrote: Enjoy your Scrooge McDuck vault of money that's coming.

Still, I have yet to see anyone drop the "make it rain" meme for this....commendable.

move along

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling
emberdione wrote:I.missed.school.

One more gargleblaster. Seriously, I never bought it and had resolved to wait until it was reckoned and then forgot. /facepalm

You can always hope, and pray, and buy 3 random shirts the next opportunity you get. Luckily I snagged School a while back when it dipped into the danger zone one other time.

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

Narfcake

eholling wrote:You can always hope, and pray, and buy 3 random shirts the next opportunity you get.

... and if you don't get it in the randoms, arrange a swap in this thread or on teetrade.org. There's almost always someone who will receive a shirt they don't care about.

Narfcake

Cheese has been a record setter from the start, but the next record it would have to beat is The Binge's continuous length in the #1 spot, which spanned from #112 to #126.

I guess we'll find out if it beats that by Reckoning #209.

(Ironically, #112 was when the other Portal-inspired shirt was reckoned.)

Assassin15

Narfcake wrote:(Ironically, #112 was when the other Portal-inspired shirt was reckoned.)

Man now I have to play that game. I didn't know that was a Portal shirt.

And check out the first sucker there!

Narfcake

Assassin15 wrote:And check out the first sucker there!

Adds to the irony, doesn't it?

Back one topic, here's some reading material for the less versed.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Narfcake wrote:Adds to the irony, doesn't it?

Back one topic, here's some reading material for the less versed.

How is it ironic exactly? Cake is a great shirt, I believe he's even referred to it himself.

Now if you saw him as first sucker on School or something THAT would be earthshatteringly hilarious.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake

bluetuba wrote:How is it ironic exactly? Cake is a great shirt, I believe he's even referred to it himself.

The un-wrinkly is the pop culture aspect that is ranted on constantly. What makes Cake good but Cheese not, even though both are references of Portal?

To go one step further, both shirts still stand on their own merits too even if the one looking at them had no idea of the reference. As I own both of them now, I can certainly say there's more art involved in the making of Cheese vs. the making of Cake too.

My take ... designs are not always going to suit everyone, everytime. To rant that everything should change because the current method isn't "perfect" ... ummmm, why? You like it, you buy it. You don't like it, you don't buy it. Pretty simple IMHO.