+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

With the celeb-obsessed media all agog at the Royal Wedding we figured it's time to take a look at what we as Americans have been missing out on with the whole royalty situation. After all some people still get along fine with a king or queen or duke or whatever. This week, show us your most regal designs, be they depictions of nobility and birthright or perhaps the sort of commentary by the peasants any decent ruler would've outlawed long ago. Of course as rulers of all the good shirt realm we hath some laws to decree:

No pop culture. That means no princesses in other castles, no Queen Amidala, no King of Kings and certainly no King of Queens.
No text.
No zombies.

**And since some people want only to skirt the rules and argue semantics, we're clarifying our "no pop culture" rule to mean "no using characters, settings, or premises that are not your own, original creations."**

Quality Posts

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

meh.

Nothing follows.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

mmm, king taco

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

I'm glad to see the no pop culture rule, but that squelches my favorite idea so far.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

No pop culture in a theme based on pop culture?

That's very meta.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

Hmmm... Quite!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Neeaaat. I actually had an idea a couple weeks ago that would fit this theme :D. Now to see if I have any time...-peers into the Purse of Time and rifles through junk and ketchup packets-

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
odysseyroc wrote:mmm, king taco

Taco Supreme, indeed!

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr

Oh great Royal Woot, this lowly peasant laments at thy failure to ban bunnies and penguins and foresees many crowns on furry or feathered heads.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

2 words: "King Crab"! Boom!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

We have no king or queen but Madame Guillotine!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
debragr wrote:Oh great Royal Woot, this lowly peasant laments at thy failure to ban bunnies and penguins and foresees many crowns on furry or feathered heads.

emperor penguins

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

"I pledge allegiance to Queen Frag
And her mighty state of hysteria..."

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
midgerock wrote:2 words: "King Crab"! Boom!

Ahhhh man, I can't wait to see it. I'm a Deadliest Catch junkie, so is the hubby.

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74

Entry with a dude in a crown, sitting on a couch in 3..2..

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

Hmm, might skip this one but we shall see.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

A Queen of the Damned from Drakxxx and CD, pluh-leeze?

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

I complain enough, I should give credit when it's due. Thank you for the pop culture rules 2 weeks in a row!

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:mmm, king taco

Mmmmm. OK, now I'm thinking about breakfast tacos again. :|

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

got another idea. Checkmate. king laid down with other pieces around with visages twisted and dark with the king visage a skull. huh?
yeah or neh?

paigeg

midgerock wrote:got another idea. Checkmate. king laid down with other pieces around with visages twisted and dark with the king visage a skull. huh?
yeah or neh?

Sounds dark and creepy - my favorite things! I'd love to see you give it a shot.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
midgerock wrote:got another idea. Checkmate. king laid down with other pieces around with visages twisted and dark with the king visage a skull. huh?
yeah or neh?

yeah

paigeg

I'm musing some way to depict the phrase 'blue blood'. I mean, other than the obvious blue liquid splash or plasma bag.
'Blue-blooded' originated as a phrase Spaniards used to associate themselves with 'white' Europeans rather than dark-skinned southern races (as in the Middle East) or Jews. See? Racism is a whole lot older than America.
Sometimes it's disheartening to find out the truth behind a seemingly innocuous phrase.
At any rate, I won't be going in THAT direction. But I'm hoping to come up with some brainstorm relating to blue blood. Open to suggestion.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

It'd be great if eggplant/purple were a shirt color. It's the royal color.

kevlar51

Here are some of the ideas I'm considering:
1) "Crowning of the Crayon"--the corronation of a anthropomorphic crayon
2) A royal family tree depicting several cousins marrying cousins with some fun results towards the bottom
3) A portrait of a former US President (Probably Lincoln or Washington) dressed as a king

kevlar51

Misskari wrote:It'd be great if eggplant/purple were a shirt color. It's the royal color.

I couldn't agree more.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Blue pigment was also hard to acquire in medieval days, so the people who had it were typically wealthy and powerful. Probably another reason the color blue is tied to royalty.

raerae104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raerae104
kevlar51 wrote:Here are some of the ideas I'm considering:
1) "Crowning of the Crayon"--the corronation of a anthropomorphic crayon
2) A royal family tree depicting several cousins marrying cousins with some fun results towards the bottom
3) A portrait of a former US President (Probably Lincoln or Washington) dressed as a king

Number two sounds amazing

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Misskari wrote:It'd be great if eggplant/purple were a shirt color. It's the royal color.

You'll have to settle for ROYAL Blue.

:P

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
thatrobert wrote:We have no king or queen but Madame Guillotine!

See I was thinking something Marie Antoinette-ish. Stop beating me to the punch ThatRobert!

Although I may get beat for going girlie two weeks in a row... maybe I can make it dark.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
tgentry wrote:Blue pigment was also hard to acquire in medieval days, so the people who had it were typically wealthy and powerful. Probably another reason the color blue is tied to royalty.

I heard the same about the dyes used to make purple. I thought that it and indigo were so difficult to obtain in certain sections of Europe, that purple became heavily associated with royalty as well.

jvinton3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvinton3

Hey... So I'm kind of new but I stumbled upon this site today and thought it was pretty neat... No Text, does that rule out little signs staked in the grass? :S

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bluejester wrote:I heard the same about the dyes used to make purple. I thought that it and indigo were so difficult to obtain in certain sections of Europe, that purple became heavily associated with royalty as well.

Probably both at different times and for different reasons. Maybe purple was used to further distinguish the royalty from the nobility. My History/Art History is fuzzy, but I've heard both colors used in relation to royalty.

bluejester

jvinton3 wrote:Hey... So I'm kind of new but I stumbled upon this site today and thought it was pretty neat... No Text, does that rule out little signs staked in the grass? :S

Yup. Also it rules out symbols.

For example: ! @#$%^&*? + -

All would qualify under the "No Text" banner.

p.s.

Welcome to woot!

bluejester

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach

Idea for someone to use (I'm not an artist) - depict a crowning ceremony where a puppet is being crowned, with an adviser above the throne holding his strings.

odysseyroc

bluejester wrote: Taco Night!

flour tortillas, lettuce and cheese? oh man, that's not a taco, THIS is a tacol

ainecful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainecful
paigeg wrote:I'm musing some way to depict the phrase 'blue blood'. I mean, other than the obvious blue liquid splash or plasma bag.
'Blue-blooded' originated as a phrase Spaniards used to associate themselves with 'white' Europeans rather than dark-skinned southern races (as in the Middle East) or Jews. See? Racism is a whole lot older than America.
Sometimes it's disheartening to find out the truth behind a seemingly innocuous phrase.
At any rate, I won't be going in THAT direction. But I'm hoping to come up with some brainstorm relating to blue blood. Open to suggestion.

Have you seen the movie 'Stardust'? One of the princes (Primus, I think... something like that) gets his throat slit in a bathtub, and of course it's blue blood which begins to tint the water.

I'm not suggesting drawing a guy in a bathtub with his throat cut, but maybe a knife with blue blood? Or say, the guillotine which everyone's been talking about.

Hope this helps in some way, shape or form..

odysseyroc

An idea. Not sure that I'll even submit anything this week. but, here's a rough sketch of The Earl of Sammich.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
ainecful wrote:Have you seen the movie 'Stardust'? One of the princes (Primus, I think... something like that) gets his throat slit in a bathtub, and of course it's blue blood which begins to tint the water.

I'm not suggesting drawing a guy in a bathtub with his throat cut, but maybe a knife with blue blood? Or say, the guillotine which everyone's been talking about.

Maybe some guy donating blood . . .