paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
bluetuba wrote:Another idea! I'd like to see a design based on two Kings actually fighting each other.. a royal duel with the fate of nations at stake!

A song comes to mind..

Now THAT's some old-school/new-school growly-ballad metal. I may have to check Amon Amarth out more fully for those days when I'm pissed at the world. You know, as an alternative to Pantera or Static-X. :D Nice! I'd be down for a sub based on that!
C'mon, someone, do us a metal-head album cover/barbarian comic inspired design!

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:Here's a little progress on mine.

This is cleaning up nicely. I'm not seeing the 'shiny' coloring you usually use working for this, though. I LOVE your coloring, but this begs for a really light hand. Just sayin'.

paigeg

rogerrogerroger wrote:

ice cream king! suggestions?

Please, can that pop be modified some? I'm not sure how - take a bite out of it? It's somewhat phallic to my eye. I have no aversion to phalluses (phallii?) in general; quite the opposite, in fact. But in this context, it's jarring. I'm getting a Marie Antoinette vibe off the cone, which is just adding to the whole effect.
Whoa! I'm sorry! I think that may have been an intimate peek into my psyche. But I can't unsee it! JMH (and apparently twisted) )O.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

Initial linework.

"Crayon's Crown" or "Crowning of the Crayon"

Thoughts?

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
paigeg wrote:Now THAT's some old-school/new-school growly-ballad metal. I may have to check Amon Amarth out more fully for those days when I'm pissed at the world. You know, as an alternative to Pantera or Static-X. :D Nice! I'd be down for a sub based on that!
C'mon, someone, do us a metal-head album cover/barbarian comic inspired design!

Amon Amarth is *awesome*! I believe the correct designation is viking themed melodic death metal. ;)

I'm a huge fan of all their work, but I think they have really hit their stride in the last 4 albums or so. The newest one "Surtur Rising" was just released last month and they are on a US tour right now. I saw them in KC a few weeks ago. :-D

/derail

I hope to see some shirts with more of a fantasy/historical royalty vibe and less of the food items with crowns thing, hehe :P

paigeg

kevlar51 wrote:

Initial linework.

"Crayon's Crown" or "Crowning of the Crayon"

Thoughts?

Hmmmm. There's a dark band with a lighter wavy line on the Crayola crayon wrappers. How about adding some detail like that to the crayons, especially the King? But make it a jagged, crown-like detail. It'd be very evocative.

paigeg

bluetuba wrote:Amon Amarth is *awesome*! I believe the correct designation is viking themed melodic death metal. ;)

I'm a huge fan of all their work, but I think they have really hit their stride in the last 4 albums or so. The newest one "Surtur Rising" was just released last month and they are on a US tour right now. I saw them in KC a few weeks ago. :-D

/derail

I hope to see some shirts with more of a fantasy/historical royalty vibe and less of the food items with crowns thing, hehe :P

DUDE! Brother in arms! I sometimes despair of interacting with any metal fans with more than a couple of brain cells, or talent of any kind. Well met, my friend. And yeah - I could really, really set aside some cash for a classic design of the Frazetta/fantasy art vibe. Boris Vallejo. Even Mike Whelan.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
ciaranannrach wrote:Just not as apparent to today's mindset, where pale is bad and tanned is sexy (generally.) Same thing with people's weight - back then, being overweight was considered attractive and was desired, and skinny was a sign of poverty. Now it's the opposite. Gotta love how things shift over the generations.

Industrialization and easier/safer travel options is what changed that.
Before the labor was out doors and the wealthy could afford to stay out of the sun. Now the labor is in doors, and the wealthy can afford to travel to sunny places in winter. The thought processes behind the stereotypes (not the perfect word for what I mean, but it will do) haven't changed.

blanked

Spiritgreen wrote:Yes, SnowQueen - the wedding is a huge deal. Everyone gets the day off. I'll admit to a bit of bunting out front of my house, even. :^)

Hmmm so the Royal Mint isn't widely known? I thought there was a United States Mint that made coins and maybe notes? Well, think of the Royal Mint like the Franklin Mint only more official and less tacky. (I do not include my commemorative Deep Space 9 coin in that statement)

I think there are enough who watch and read British cultural offerings to know that royal is the word used for any government building that still has a form of monarchy. I think where the trouble lies is in mint, I think the place that produces the money is the 3rd or 4th definition of the word that goes through my mind when I see it.

blanked

walmazan wrote:Guys, I have this ideas, which one you prefer?

Assassin15 wrote:This one's wicked funny! I think his earring is a bit confusing since it's so huge though. How bout making it normal sized?

Earring, thats what it is! I'd say a brighter color so it is the first thing looked at. I think that it would read better then as I didn't even notice the earring, despite the size.
Also I think you need to tweak the queen's expression so the shock is clearer, the kings rage is obvious though.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
rogerrogerroger wrote:

I like it, but it seems like the ice cream scoops are just one big shape. It could be my monitor (which is crap), or maybe that's what you're going for. I personally would like to see just a bit more definition in each scoop myself. It seems like the creams are a little too close to each other (again could be the crap monitor).

But I do dig your stuff.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Well, not everyone's going to understand this one so it's going to seem even weirder than my usual stuff, but here it is:

Royal Mint

Royal mint... where the money comes from.

^___^

paigeg

grrlmarvel wrote:I like it, but it seems like the ice cream scoops are just one big shape. It could be my monitor (which is crap), or maybe that's what you're going for. I personally would like to see just a bit more definition in each scoop myself. It seems like the creams are a little too close to each other (again could be the crap monitor).

But I do dig your stuff.

I'm seeing what you mean. I think some darker shadows beneath each scoop would take care of that. I like the single color/flavor, though. That's waht gave me the Marie Antoinette feel. Hmmm, maybe a couple of dashes on the eyes to denote lashes and make the cone female? Still doesn't solve my pop issue, but that's just me I guess. :D

jvinton3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvinton3

So I've been sketching around an idea but not sure what to do now...? Scan onto computer then...? Should I download any type of photoshop/awesome paint tool thing? Suggestions would be GRAND! I'd really like to try my hand out on this site.

paigeg

Spiritgreen wrote:Well, not everyone's going to understand this one so it's going to seem even weirder than my usual stuff, but here it is:

Royal Mint

^___^

Royal Mint~US Mint. It's the same thing, for the most part. I get it. I like it. Can't say for sure if it'll fly with the majority of voters, though. Maybe if you gave your leaf vacant eyes and got rid of all that nasty detail.
Sorry, did I say that out loud? Didn't mean to hijack your discussion, Spirit. I'm just *dying* for a really high-quality print. Thank all the gods you care to mention there are NO amorphous critters in the fog for the Amusement Parks derby. I'm getting to my wits' end with what's won and printed lately.
/end rant
/Carry on.

aswati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aswati
rogerrogerroger wrote:

Maybe a little more detail to the expressions on the face?

aswati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aswati
burnapaperzach wrote:Just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this week's theme. Any suggestions?

Is the standing king waving his hands in victory? Or are his arms up in surrender?

How about drawing a few pawns surrounding a fallen King? It might look like the common man's victory over monarchy to give the effect or a 'revolt'?

blanked

jvinton3 wrote:So I've been sketching around an idea but not sure what to do now...? Scan onto computer then...? Should I download any type of photoshop/awesome paint tool thing? Suggestions would be GRAND! I'd really like to try my hand out on this site.

I believe the most common programs used are phototshop and illustrator (please note, the one giving you the info is not - in any form - an artist) but if you don't own them they cost big $. GIMP is a free photoshop, but if you have never used photoshop the learning curve is steep. I think there is a free illustrator version too, can recall name. Check world of woot shirts under comunity, I think there is a thread there that offers program help.

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74

Here's what I'm considering entering:

"That's not what 'checkmate' means!"

Be honest...be brutal...tell me what you think!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
rogerrogerroger wrote:

it seems like he is posed for pride, but his facial expression seems sad or concerning. I would give him a big prideful smile to suite his gesture.

jvinton3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvinton3
JenXer74 wrote:Here's what I'm considering entering:

AWESOME! no doubt :] GMV

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Spiritgreen wrote:Well, not everyone's going to understand this one so it's going to seem even weirder than my usual stuff, but here it is:

Royal Mint

^___^

Looks Awesome SG!!!!! Have a royally grand time tomorrow!!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
chumpmagic wrote:it seems like he is posed for pride, but his facial expression seems sad or concerning. I would give him a big prideful smile to suite his gesture.

Good point... is there a way to make his chest see puffed out a bit too?

paigeg

JenXer74 wrote:Here's what I'm considering entering:

Two things jump out for me.
First, the lack of arms. I know chess pieces don't have arms. But anthropomorphised object typically do, even if they're stick arms with round bubble hands.
Second, and most importantly remember this is MHO, I don't know about the queen's recumbant position. I get you're depicting childbirth. but I think you could also depict it with her upright and protesting, mabe with a kerchief to the face. And even a pawn lady-in-waiting/nurse?
I think your poses are definitely more explicit and convey what you mean very easily. I'm not sure it translates to what the Woot community will respond to, though. They seem to be pretty PG.
But then, I have been 100% wrong almost 100% of the time regarding the Woot community. JMHO.

paigeg

grrlmarvel wrote:Good point... is there a way to make his chest see puffed out a bit too?

Flex the come body just a bit. Curve the lines left to right so he seems to have a chest belly and butt. What I mean is very subtle and I wish I could show you.... Maybe Walmazan or Odysseyroc will log in soon - they would TOTALLY get what I mean and explain it far better.
/edit to apologize. I responded to the thread and not rogerroger!

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog

Royal Mint

^___^

mmm all that mint and not a 'Crown Roast of Lamb' in sight lol
love it

backliteyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages backliteyes
walmazan wrote:

I suggest you give the Jack a spiked mohawk that sticks off the top edge of the card. I think that would really drive home the family embarrassment factor.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

First pass line work. let me know if you guys like it, and thanks!

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74
paigeg wrote:Two things jump out for me.
First, the lack of arms. I know chess pieces don't have arms. But anthropomorphised object typically do, even if they're stick arms with round bubble hands.
Second, and most importantly remember this is MHO, I don't know about the queen's recumbant position. I get you're depicting childbirth. but I think you could also depict it with her upright and protesting, mabe with a kerchief to the face. And even a pawn lady-in-waiting/nurse?
I think your poses are definitely more explicit and convey what you mean very easily. I'm not sure it translates to what the Woot community will respond to, though. They seem to be pretty PG.
But then, I have been 100% wrong almost 100% of the time regarding the Woot community. JMHO.

You're right about the arms, I'll put hands on the bishop, at a minimum. The pawn baby looks like a "growth" without them.

As for the queen's pose, I thought it might be risqué, but heck, I'm going for it anyway! ;D

Thanks for the feedback!

paigeg

Drakxxx wrote:

First pass line work. let me know if you guys like it, and thanks!

Like, as always. Bu what's the 'royalty' tie? I'm not getting it at first blush.

weejy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weejy

Get it? do you see where I'm going with this? or did I miss...

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
collinvh wrote:"King Me!"

Looking for feedback. Thanks.

I've got a similar one I'm working on called "The Coronation of King Red." I might add a bit more pomp, maybe make the fingers more heavenly, and add some more onlooking red and black checkers.

octochimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octochimp

Oh man !! I should have held off my entry in the last derby and put it in for this one instead ! hahaha. Oh dear. I assume entries have to be new works?

paigeg

Ok kiddies, I've tossed together a quick sketch of my idea with no thought to it being finalized by me - strictly a concept/pose sketch. Here.
And, since time moves on, here is the permalink to my suggestion and shameless BEGGING for collab.

awcoburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awcoburn
paigeg wrote:Like, as always. Bu what's the 'royalty' tie? I'm not getting it at first blush.

Also love the line art. Also not getting the royalty tie yet.

paigeg

paigeg wrote:Ok kiddies, I've tossed together a quick sketch of my idea with no thought to it being finalized by me - strictly a concept/pose sketch. Here.
And, since time moves on, here is the permalink to my suggestion and shameless BEGGING for collab.

I think Woot needs to tweak its permalinks so you go right to the POST and not just the page it's on! Or am I incompetent? >sigh< Not the first time.

octochimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages octochimp

It's a shame about the "no text" rule. I'd enter this design, but I don't think it works without the text...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I had this concept, but need something to go with it... perhaps goldfish bowing before it?

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
paigeg wrote:Like, as always. Bu what's the 'royalty' tie? I'm not getting it at first blush.

Agreed on both points. This seems more "knight" than "royalty" to me, based on this sketch so far.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

paigeg

octochimp wrote:It's a shame about the "no text" rule. I'd enter this design, but I don't think it works without the text...

Nice. But yeah, the text is a big no-no. And, not to be rude but - is this your only design concept? The bifurcated queen head? I loved it in the last derby, but didn't think it was all you had...