Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

First print! Congrats Midge'. :^)

tinsoldiergt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tinsoldiergt

Although scary, it's not the six shooter and flippant "I can shoot you if I want" attitude that get me. It's the stocky Gray Rhino in the background silently reminding me that bones break fast and heal slow...

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
robertoz wrote:I hesitate to post this at all. I'm not into hurting people's feelings. My intent is not to insult the designer, nor anyone else. Kudos to you all, for doing what you enjoy.

I've purchased approximately 37 woot shirts over the years. I've never voted on a shirt derby. This is the first time I've visited the comments section. I've never attempted to submit a design. However, I just had to see what in the heck is going on here.

Is there a clique of "designers" that vote for each other through proxy accounts or what? Family members? Friends? Facebook contacts? Mass emails? It seems probable.

How is it possible that anyone voted for this shirt, let alone 699?

For example, the above poster, "chumpmagic" has two awesome designs in his signature. Both of them blow this blurry panda away.

Based on some of the other shirts I've seen on woot, I'm probably not the first person to ask these types of questions.

Feels like I'm missing a large piece of the shirt.woot puzzle.

At any rate, forgive me if I've offended any of you. I've wanted to ask these questions for a very long time.

The designs that are currently in my signature are for this weeks derby, and they are not competing against this panda. My design that was competing against this panda wasn't all that great, so I would assume you would probably prefer the panda in this case... maybe? At least I do. I like this design a lot. But to bring this more towards the question you asked, some weeks designs just stand out better due to the competition (or lack of competition) and the theme. And thanks for the compliments on my design this week.

Feel free to read the comments in the entry's thread. It seems like a few people here love the noir style, and I don't think I am telling any tales out of school when I say that many woot voters love anything with a panda on it That may solve part of the problem for you.

I don't have a direct answer for you, but I will add that I say the same thing about many derby winners. Why did people vote for X design? People just have different views and tastes when it comes to art (actually... everything for that matter), and even though I can't comprehend why someone would be willing to vote, buy, and wear what I think is suitable for mockery, I still have to accept it. It how the system works here, and the voters do indeed decide. People are just weird!

Edit... I just dawned on me, but here is an simple answer to your question: "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Art is subjective, so this is very true statement.

kelmar13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelmar13

^ Well said and completely agree.

While I personally didn't vote on any shirts this week, I LOVE this design!

I WILL be buying this one.

Panda bacon

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

Is this one of those Rorschach inkblot tests? If so, I see a homicidal Panda.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Yay!!! Good job. Ordered mine.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Congrats on your first print, John! Woohoo!!!!!

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

Congrats on the print Midgerock!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

Great shirt! Congrats on the print!

Wait a minute...skirochester, odysseyroc, and Midgerock came in 1, 2, 3? Coincidence or evil plot?

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Yay! So well deserved John! Big Congrats!

andmott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andmott

Awesome title and shirt! One of the best I've ever seen! Well done.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Congrats on the first print midgerock!
Now....put this on black, add some tech, and resubmit for the cyberpunk derby.

move along

darrentf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darrentf

Congrats, Midgerock! Love it, in for one, and really happy for you!

1st Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/1/2010! w00t!!11!!
2nd Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/2011! w00t!!11!!

MaxSMoke777

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777

It is just me, or does it looks like he/she's got 3 arms? Two on the gun and one holding the smoke.

enzo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages enzo01

Ba da bing, ba da bamboo.

blucey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blucey

I assume this is an homage to the classic joke?

I seem to remember it going something like this:

A panda walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender brings him his check and the panda pulls out a gun, shoots him, and walks out of the bar. As he's leaving, the manager yells, "What'd you do that for?" The panda replies, "I'm a panda. Look it up."

The manager looks up "panda" in the dictionary: large asian mammal characterized by black and white markings. Eats shoots and leaves.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack

Wow, I didn't realise you hadn't had a print before.
Haven't been here that long but I always thought your work was great and assumed you must have had many wins based on the quality.

Just bought mine
Nice one!

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

swammi1203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swammi1203

This was my favorite of the shirts for this derby, so I'm glad it was able print. Bought, and I'm looking forward to getting it.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
midgerock wrote:I am happy! Thank you to all who voted for my design. And major love to the supporters who come out each and every week and support my designs.

To celebrate my design being chosen I share with all of you my most favorite Magnum PI moment ever. Click the pic to enjoy!

Congrats on a well deserved win!

ainecful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainecful
cdrewlow wrote:Great shirt! Congrats on the print!

Wait a minute...skirochester, odysseyroc, and Midgerock came in 1, 2, 3? Coincidence or evil plot?

Evil plot, for sure.

*runs off to find way of changing username to include 'roc', just in case she can get in on this awesome plan*

Balsa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Balsa

Brings a whole new meaning to the "Right to bear arms"...

Rhonwyn22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Rhonwyn22

There is a wonderful book on grammar and punctuation by the same name.

ratmotor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ratmotor

*shows his age*

Andy Pandy, all growed up.

ainecful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainecful
Balsa wrote:Brings a whole new meaning to the "Right to bear arms"...

After the 2008 elections, my teacher gave us a bonus question on a test:

"Michelle Obama recently used her second amendment right to __________ in an official photograph of the First Lady."

Answer? She had the right to 'bare arms' :P

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

I'm enjoying everyone's comments. Thanks everyone coming out today to support this design.

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01

Lynn Truss would be proud

pMightyMousev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pMightyMousev

What is the white tab above the revolver? not that it matters, already in for one.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pMightyMousev wrote:What is the white tab above the revolver? not that it matters, already in for one.

cuffs, mate.

move along

thedisenfranchised

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedisenfranchised

Congratulations to Midge on his 1st print; fantastic style and nice execution make this a well-deserving Derby Chump.

But pleeeeeease, Woot, I'm begging you, please print Bassanimation's "Inspired by King of the Beasts" submission with an Editor's Choice or something like that. It is amazing, very wearable artwork, and to have that image fade away into internet obscurity would be a crime.

ecilsemoh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ecilsemoh

Looks like Woot has Banksy on the t-shirt design squad.

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone

Leave the gun.

Take the bamboo.

Well done, voters! Especially well done, Midgerock! Great atmosphere in this design. Totally captures the smoky noir feeling.

*searches for 'Kiss of Death' dvd*

jessibot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessibot

In light of this new development, who's going to be on the endangered species list now?

verbhertz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verbhertz
ecilsemoh wrote:Looks like Woot has Banksy on the t-shirt design squad.

That is exactly what I was thinking! I just logged in and searched this discussion for Banksy and I'm glad someone else thought so too.

graphicschic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graphicschic

I will proudly wear this at work whilst correcting grammatical errors. Thank you for illustrating a favorite book/joke on a shirt.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

hey hey! Another great win! Congrats Midgerock!

humongous

quality posts: 2 Private Messages humongous

the humongous is holding out for the koala bear - eats, bush and leaves shirt

the humongous

jesseandalison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesseandalison

GREAT BOOK AND ALSO A GREAT SHIRT!

smklung

quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung

at the last hour of the day i decided that i needed this shirt. Its drawn too well to pass it up

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

as an fyi... if you would like to follow my work you can become a fan on facebook.
midgerock studios My design was supposed to be linked to my page on the day of sale but wasn't.

mattcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattcom

Excellent shirt; simple, stylish and effective. Cant wait to get it in the mail =)