seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
DianaSprinkle wrote:My friend was wondering about that too but I believe this picture is parodying The Creature From the Black Lagoon poster(1954). So I think that'd make it on topic.

or one of a bazillion classic monster movies where a girl is carried off by a big scary thing

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
j5 wrote:Did you just admit to tracing?

Man....first Santa, then the Rapture, now this...

No, and I didn't admit to being "Fat," either. It's "nice" because it shows how close I got. If I traced it, I would've had this in on Friday. I don't cry over spilled woots, I just learn and "keep swimming."

It's "rejected," and we know why, 'nuff said. They told us, if you parody too close, it's in jepordy of rejection, and not to whine about it. I played it too close, got chopped, and I haven't "whined" once.

I had some work come up, or I would've re-done it. I decided to save the others I did and recycle them in future woots. I leave for Phoenix, tonight, for a week, so I'm pretty much done with this derby. So, be nice while I'm gone or I'll bring my pencil.

See y'all next derby. I'll try to be more "original" in the future. Thanks for playing!
BlindDog3D

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
sunnyheadcase wrote:Wish he was standing in front of a real motorcycle and not a big wheel, but I still dig it

I actually had him looking more realistic and with the motorcycle but I changed it last minute after i saw what happened to blinddog3d. My thought had been keep it similar to original but make him a werewolf. So I went in a direction to ensure there would be no rejection. May post another entry soon.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Camera ver 2.0

I got some feedback, and decided to resubmit with new colors. Thanks to seedsofsedition and DutchBunch5.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
paigeg wrote:It is. But I think this is primarily made up of well-composed stock vectors. Virtually none of it looks hand-drawn. I'm not putting it down - it's a good composition and attractive overall. Just 'splaining that pretty much all of the elements here originated as photos or drawings that became open-source vector art, like this, and this.

naaa, theres not much science involved but a big mess in a super hurry of paint brush , smudge , eraser , bluring, gradients, and lots of halftoning and distress process to try to create a good overall looking composition thats all, here the link for a larger view so you can see how bad my birds look compared to the vectors you said i used, if i were used vectors it would look way better but a trick here for me was to create in a very fast way a nice overall look instead of detailed individual elements.

Here the large view

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

Yeah, they're soooo similar.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
killerorca wrote:I really like this design, however the film strips detract from it. If for some reason this doesn't print I think it would do great in a monotone derby minus the film-strips.

Except the film strips are the only thing keeping this entry *remotely* on-theme. Without them, it's just another painfully generic Woot tee with swirls & birds.

While the image would work well enough as, say, a desktop wallpaper, I just can't see this as a wearable shirt. Clearly though, I seem to be in the minority.

allisonbevan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allisonbevan

Love, love this one! Song is def stuck in my head now!!!

Re: intermission

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Delusions of grandeur

I thought this one would do better. It's awesome. I love the little pink barbie box. Big +1 from me!

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Re: Gone With The Color

Here's my thing: You say that your granddad said that all the magic went out of the movies when color arrived. You also say that your granddad's favorite American film was Gone With The Wind. GWTW was in color.

My other thing is that the world is in color. Black and white films weren't black and white (mostly) because it was artistic. Black and white films were in black and white because it was available and then because it was affordable.
Embrace the color. (in movies, that is, not always in shirts, although if every shirt were grayscale, what a boring world it would be.)

Of course, none of this has anything to do with the actual design, which I like --- except for the film strips on either side. And if your inspiration had been Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, that would have been great. (Of course, IMDB says The Birds was also in color.) As it is, the shirt is off-title.

durtykansan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages durtykansan
Re: Forbidden Future

Sweetness! I really like this one. : ) +1

striker138

Re: Camera

Alright, I resubmitted on slate as suggested.

Check it out here...

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53023

Thanks for the suggestions!

kevincrimi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevincrimi
roofoo wrote:Yeah, I had to flip my glasses too. If he reversed the colors, it would be perfect.

OOOOOOOOH!!! I might have to try this again when I go home. Last time I tried my brain just got confused!

Check out my Derby Shirt!

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
Re: Soak the Witch!

The super-soaker is too foreshortened - the height of the gun diminishes too quickly for the apparently length, giving it a distorted effect, yet the witch seems in good perspective. Also looks like it's being held over to the shooter's far left side awkwardly, like he's shooting around a non-existent corner.

roofoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roofoo
endangeredomega wrote:Except the film strips are the only thing keeping this entry *remotely* on-theme. Without them, it's just another painfully generic Woot tee with swirls & birds.

While the image would work well enough as, say, a desktop wallpaper, I just can't see this as a wearable shirt. Clearly though, I seem to be in the minority.

I completely agree.

roofoo

kevincrimi wrote:OOOOOOOOH!!! I might have to try this again when I go home. Last time I tried my brain just got confused!

Yeah, if you wear them like normal it looks like the star field is in front and everything else recedes behind it. Kinda trippy actually. :P

roofoo

Re: cinéma chat

Cute design, I like the colors too.

roofoo

kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:it took much more planning to steal a movie back in the day. unsuccsessful more than not.

enjoy!

Funny!

gaustinw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaustinw

This is the only shirt I would've worn. Amazing and funny.

blinddog3d

alephnull2k1 wrote:The super-soaker is too foreshortened - the height of the gun diminishes too quickly for the apparently length, giving it a distorted effect, yet the witch seems in good perspective. Also looks like it's being held over to the shooter's far left side awkwardly, like he's shooting around a non-existent corner.

The perspective is spot-on. The gun looks great, actually. What it needs is a "squirt of water!" But, I think it's fine as is, because it's implied.

BlindDog3D

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: THE Real Wild ONE

I very much like this shirt. It came a bit late to the party, but it's awesome.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
expo01 wrote:naaa, theres not much science involved but a big mess in a super hurry of paint brush , smudge , eraser , bluring, gradients, and lots of halftoning and distress process to try to create a good overall looking composition thats all, here the link for a larger view so you can see how bad my birds look compared to the vectors you said i used, if i were used vectors it would look way better but a trick here for me was to create in a very fast way a nice overall look instead of detailed individual elements.

Ooo, snap. I didn't tattle, honest. It takes something pretty egregious for me to complain. Sorry, this probably would have placed in the final three.
Here the large view

striker138

Re: All you need... (v2)

You design can't be out to the edge of the shirt. Keep the design inside the bounding box on the template.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Dang....

Derby Mental note:
"Don't reveal your process if it may serve to get you rejected."

got it.

move along

striker138

JadenKale wrote:
This is more about having fun and less about winning. Sure it's fun to win, but once you get to the point where it's only about winning, the desire to do something you'd wear and instead, try to fit the mold of every other tee that prints, you lose your style. Stay true to yourself.

I am living proof. I have submitted 122 shirts, and never finished higher than 14th place. But it's fun, so I keep plugging away.

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Last Glimpse of Light Version 2.0

I like your design and really like the ripples in the water surface. Good job storytelling within your shirt. +1

seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
striker138 wrote:I got some feedback, and decided to resubmit with new colors. Thanks to seedsofsedition and DutchBunch5.

that looks really good! I'm tempted to buy something real quick just so I can vote for it.
good luck!

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

sstrungis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sstrungis
striker138 wrote:You design can't be out to the edge of the shirt. Keep the design inside the bounding box on the template.

This is starting to annoy me. I checked the artboard. It's at 16"x20". I even made sure that there were clipping masks in place to keep clear of the artboard edges.

Are we talking like a 2% reduction on the art to keep it obviously clear of the margins of the template? If that's the case, let me know as soon as possible so that I can mock up a v3.

S

striker138

seedsofsedition wrote:that looks really good! I'm tempted to buy something real quick just so I can vote for it.
good luck!

Thank you! I must admit the colors you suggested look better than my original.

striker138

sstrungis wrote:This is starting to annoy me. I checked the artboard. It's at 16"x20". I even made sure that there were clipping masks in place to keep clear of the artboard edges.

Are we talking like a 2% reduction on the art to keep it obviously clear of the margins of the template? If that's the case, let me know as soon as possible so that I can mock up a v3.

S

Make sure the original file is 16x20 at 300dpi. That way all you have to do is copy and paste the design straight into the shirt template. It should fit perfectly then.

icemutt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icemutt

Good Luck! I love the simplification of that scene into your image. I'll have to get one if you do well!

blinddog3d

Dam! Rejected in the Fog! Way harsh!
BlindDog3D

sstrungis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sstrungis
striker138 wrote:Make sure the original file is 16x20 at 300dpi. That way all you have to do is copy and paste the design straight into the shirt template. It should fit perfectly then.

It was created on the shirt template in the first place. As far as I can tell there's no issue with going over 16"x20". I'll resub a smaller one.

kevincrimi

dreamwootseeker wrote:I could've sworn from the thumbnail that this was Walmazan's :-| !!

Werewolf gnawing on the clap board is my favorite

kevincrimi

Re: Forbidden Future

I'm in awe of the detail. The first time I saw it I was like "that robot kind of looks like Bender" and thought it sort of took away from the monster movie style but as soon as I saw the one eye and realized that it was all on purpose, it made the design great! This is a perfect example of how to reference something without tempting the rejectionator!

zencow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zencow
DeadMonster wrote:and it's going to make some noise.

except for the silencer...

blinddog3d

Re: THE Real Wild ONE

This needs more love, and by that I mean "votes!" This is so do-able. I'm an old Biker and a Brando fan and this little Wild-Child rocks! 'Specially for the kid of an old Biker! I really want this one to place!!!!!

A must have! Please vote if you like it even a little, it needs more love! This is Top knotch work, here! (and he's a nice guy, too!)

BlindDog3D

kevincrimi

Re: intermission

Its the four horsemen of the fatpocalypse!
If only Americans weren't such suckers for singing, dancing cartoon characters, we'd all be lean with healthy lungs.

I like the use of texture to give it the real old school vibe

blinddog3d

Re: Soak the Witch!

I gave you my vote, so, bury the hatched, ...but I will be back next derby. It'll be late, but I'm in no matter what the theme. Good Luck.

Out.
brUno

kevincrimi

icemutt wrote:Good Luck! I love the simplification of that scene into your image. I'll have to get one if you do well!

Thanks a lot. Amazing how such a great scene is just a man and a plane. Take notes, Michael Bay